Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We have a franchise QB

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2019, 11:32 AM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Just look at it like we are paying the Foles money to our QB position, not the individual. Someone said we can't even extend Minshew for a few years, so might as well just accept Foles as is. It's kind of weird to have your backup earn probably 30x your starter but what can you do. Maybe Foles will share with Minshew lol?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I just think with our oline struggling at times in pass blocking Putting Foles in is putting a statue back there to get broke. I would stick with GM15

(10-30-2019, 12:56 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Any "doubts" about Minshew's ability to be a franchise QB are all based on his draft position.
"Well, he's a 6th Round Pick, so he can't really be that good."
He's far outplayed any QB drafted in the first round the last two years and has shown more ability to read defenses, improvise, and throw with accuracy than Mayfield has. And let's add poise, leadership and charisma to that too. Go with what you see on the field, not the principle of draft position and pedigree.

This is not the only reason for doubts.  To me the biggest thing you have to find out is if he can transcend the tape, which we will not find out until next season.

(10-31-2019, 02:03 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote:
(10-30-2019, 12:56 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: Any "doubts" about Minshew's ability to be a franchise QB are all based on his draft position.
"Well, he's a 6th Round Pick, so he can't really be that good."
He's far outplayed any QB drafted in the first round the last two years and has shown more ability to read defenses, improvise, and throw with accuracy than Mayfield has. And let's add poise, leadership and charisma to that too. Go with what you see on the field, not the principle of draft position and pedigree.

This is not the only reason for doubts.  To me the biggest thing you have to find out is if he can transcend the tape, which we will not find out until next season.

He's not a one read QB like Mayfield.

Garnder goes through all his reads.

(10-31-2019, 12:04 PM)SACKSONMANIA Wrote: I agree with the premise of the OP and what cemented it for me is NYCJags' signature. That moment/reaction to the Broncos scoring was revelatory; it's like the anti-Manning Face. He's not afraid of CRUNCH TIME- the pressure of when the going gets tough and it's do or die, but he invites it and sees it as and opportunity to prove what he is and is capable of. HE WANTS THE SMOKE! ALL HAIL THE SMOKE KING! BUCKLE THE [BLEEP] UP RICO IS TAKING US TO STATE!

It's definitely a shining quality in the young man.

(10-31-2019, 02:05 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:03 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: This is not the only reason for doubts.  To me the biggest thing you have to find out is if he can transcend the tape, which we will not find out until next season.

He's not a one read QB like Mayfield.

Not sure why asking whether he can transcend his tape reduces him down to a 1 read QB?  That's no where close to what I'm getting at.

No
/10char
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(10-31-2019, 02:33 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:05 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He's not a one read QB like Mayfield.

Not sure why asking whether he can transcend his tape reduces him down to a 1 read QB?  That's no where close to what I'm getting at.

Then what are you getting at?  What is "transcend the tape?"

(10-31-2019, 02:45 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:33 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: Not sure why asking whether he can transcend his tape reduces him down to a 1 read QB?  That's no where close to what I'm getting at.

Then what are you getting at?  What is "transcend the tape?"

What this means is who will he be once Coordinators have an entire offseason to dissect his tape and actually prepare for him.  What are his best throws?  What are the throws he struggles with?  What are his tendencies?  These are not really clear right now, but they will be easier for NFL D coordinators to detect once they look at his body of work.  Then when they prep game plans to try to take away who he is as a QB based on the data they have collected, how does he turn out?  Does he still shine or does he decline?  If he still shines then he's transcending his tape.

(10-31-2019, 02:51 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:45 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Then what are you getting at?  What is "transcend the tape?"

What this means is who will he be once Coordinators have an entire offseason to dissect his tape and actually prepare for him.  What are his best throws?  What are the throws he struggles with?  What are his tendencies?  These are not really clear right now, but they will be easier for NFL D coordinators to detect once they look at his body of work.  Then when they prep game plans to try to take away who he is as a QB based on the data they have collected, how does he turn out?  Does he still shine or does he decline?  If he still shines then he's transcending his tape.

Yea... all of that is completely taken away by his ability to read defenses and progress through his reads.

The tape stops one read and gimmicky QBs... not QBs like Gardner who can do everything.

(10-31-2019, 02:56 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:51 PM)JAllen#41 Wrote: What this means is who will he be once Coordinators have an entire offseason to dissect his tape and actually prepare for him.  What are his best throws?  What are the throws he struggles with?  What are his tendencies?  These are not really clear right now, but they will be easier for NFL D coordinators to detect once they look at his body of work.  Then when they prep game plans to try to take away who he is as a QB based on the data they have collected, how does he turn out?  Does he still shine or does he decline?  If he still shines then he's transcending his tape.

Yea... all of that is completely taken away by his ability to read defenses and progress through his reads.

The tape stops one read and gimmicky QBs... not QBs like Gardner who can do everything.

I think you're a little quick with your analysis. 

He typically is diligent about making reads and surveying the field, but that doesn't mean he can't be schemed against. 

Sean Payton and Dennis Allen clearly identified his tendency to get outside the tackle box and extend plays that move the chains. They countered that beautifully with press coverage and a contain style of pressure with their front seven.
It took away quick reads and wouldn't let him escape to buy time for developing plays or improvisation. 

More such tendencies will be revealed when his 2019 tape is picked apart and the better coordinators who have quality defenses will have better plans to counter them.  He's not above being schemed against just because he can identify coverages and go through a progression.  He also goes through that progression a bit too slowly at times. 

Again, I love the kid and think he'll do well, but he's not a shoo-in to run roughshod over the league's better defenses.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2019, 03:22 PM by TrivialPursuit.)

(10-31-2019, 03:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 02:56 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Yea... all of that is completely taken away by his ability to read defenses and progress through his reads.

I think you're a little quick with your analysis. 

He typically is diligent about making reads and surveying the field, but that doesn't mean he can't be schemed against. 

Sean Payton and Dennis Allen clearly identified his tendency to get outside the tackle box and extend plays that move the chains. They countered that beautifully with press coverage and a contain style of pressure with their front seven.
It took away quick reads and wouldn't let him escape to buy time for developing plays or improvisation. 

More such tendencies will be revealed when his 2019 tape is picked apart and the better coordinators who have quality defenses will have better plans to counter them.  He's not above being schemed against just because he can identify coverages and go through a progression.  He also goes through that progression a bit too slowly at times. 

Again, I love the kid and think he'll do well, but he's not a shoo-in to run roughshod over the league's better defenses.

I honestly think this kid has the kind of intelligence that if he played the Saints today and they tried the same gameplan he would kill them. 42 Wonderlic is pretty impressive coupled with his knowledge and love of the game.

Although I recently did a Wonderlic while very drunk and still got a 32/50 which was good for 92nd percentile. lol

(10-31-2019, 11:30 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Just look at it like we are paying the Foles money to our QB position, not the individual. Someone said we can't even extend Minshew for a few years, so might as well just accept Foles as is. It's kind of weird to have your backup earn probably 30x your starter but what can you do. Maybe Foles will share with Minshew lol?

What can you do?..

You trade Foles in the off season and eat his dead cap for 1 year, just like we just did for Bortles.

What you don't do is eat Foles money for 3-4 years while he rides the bench, because we're only paying Minshew peanuts for the next 3-4 years.

You dump Foles as soon as you can and move on, again, just like they did with Bortles. He's dead weight as this point. Good for the moment of this season, but he's just going to be a problem as time goes on.

(10-31-2019, 11:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 11:30 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: Just look at it like we are paying the Foles money to our QB position, not the individual. Someone said we can't even extend Minshew for a few years, so might as well just accept Foles as is. It's kind of weird to have your backup earn probably 30x your starter but what can you do. Maybe Foles will share with Minshew lol?

What can you do?..

You trade Foles in the off season and eat his dead cap for 1 year, just like we just did for Bortles.

What you don't do is eat Foles money for 3-4 years while he rides the bench, because we're only paying Minshew peanuts for the next 3-4 years.

You dump Foles as soon as you can and move on, again, just like they did with Bortles. He's dead weight as this point. Good for the moment of this season, but he's just going to be a problem as time goes on.

I don't see him as dead weight.  He's a backup that you can win with  - and you can easily afford to keep for one more season or until a 2020 trade offer comes along worth taking.

(11-01-2019, 08:15 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 11:49 PM)Eric1 Wrote: What can you do?..

I don't see him as dead weight.  He's a backup that you can win with  - and you can easily afford to keep for one more season or until a 2020 trade offer comes along worth taking.

Not dead weight at all so I agree.  Foles has proven he can come off the bench and win a superbowl.  Injuries are a fact of life in the NFL.  You don't have to dump Foles to promote Minshew at all.  Honestly Minshew is impressive and you can tell he is a little slow with his reads but at least he is making them.

He is a building blocks guy and hard work will go along way to tighten up his footwork and improve his play.  He seems like a guy that will do the work.  We are in a win-win situation no matter what happens the rest of this season.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

So many here want to talk about salaries .....ok, add both GMII and NF7 salary together and there's the cost for the QB position for
our future franchise guy and a proven SB winner.
Pretty nice eh?
Let both these guys take us to strong finish this season and probably next.
Minshew will only get better the more he plays ....we've all seen his track record.
This is going to be fun!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(11-01-2019, 09:45 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: So many here want to talk about salaries .....ok, add both GMII and NF7 salary together and there's the cost for the QB position for
Pretty nice eh?
Minshew will only get better the more he plays ....we've all seen his track record.
This is going to be fun!

I've been saying this for weeks to no avail with the oddly anti-Foles challengers of reason. 

In 2020 - as things stand - the Jacksonville Jaguars will be squarely in the middle of the pack in QB positional spending in the NFL. Twelve teams will spend more than us at QB, and that number should rise with new contracts coming between now and then. 

We can easily afford to have Nick Foles continue to be part of the Minshew grooming process regardless of who ends up starting. This is good for our team.  Why people want to jettison Foles is a complete [BLEEP] mystery to me. Makes zero sense. 

The only way I see him gone prior to November 2020 is if a QB needy team offers the farm NEXT year.  Which is very possible. Keeping him until then allows you to have the luxury of a backup you can win with and allows you to maximize the potential trade capital you'd get in return for him.

(11-01-2019, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 09:45 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: So many here want to talk about salaries .....ok, add both GMII and NF7 salary together and there's the cost for the QB position for
Pretty nice eh?
This is going to be fun!

I've been saying this for weeks to no avail with the oddly anti-Foles challengers of reason. 

In 2020 - as things stand - the Jacksonville Jaguars will be squarely in the middle of the pack in QB positional spending in the NFL. Twelve teams will spend more than us at QB, and that number should rise with new contracts coming between now and then. 

We can easily afford to have Nick Foles continue to be part of the Minshew grooming process regardless of who ends up starting. This is good for our team.  Why people want to jettison Foles is a complete [BLEEP] mystery to me. Makes zero sense. 

The only way I see him gone prior to November 2020 is if a QB needy team offers the farm NEXT year.
  Which is very possible. Keeping him until then allows you to have the luxury of a backup you can win with and allows you to maximize the potential trade capital you'd get in return for him.
100% agree and I think Chicago makes the most sense. They have all the pieces for a SB run except QB. They are like the 2017 Jags except they might not double down on Trubisky the way the Jags did with Bortles.

I'm not ready to trade Foles and think he's really valuable in the QB room but I don't want to see him starting in Jacksonville. Not only is Minshew playing extremely well, he brings something else to this team: ENERGY. His constant energy is infectious and the young dudes on this team feed of it.

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2019, 11:51 AM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-01-2019, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
Pretty nice eh?
This is going to be fun!

The only way I see him gone prior to November 2020 is if a QB needy team offers the farm NEXT year.  Which is very possible. Keeping him until then allows you to have the luxury of a backup you can win with and allows you to maximize the potential trade capital you'd get in return for him.
I see the point you're making.  You can't bet on signing a high priced FA and hoping that turns the team into a contender.  I was hoping for a good TE like hooper next year and maybe a LB or two if available.  I also wouldn't mind a G unless they have some good lineman coming out of the draft.  We need a DT and a CB but hopefully we can draft 2 or all of those positions with quality rookies if FA isn't any help.  The cap was an issue when thinking about resigning Ramsey and Yann.  With only a few players left that are considered high priced drafted talent, if we miss on a solid player in FA at those positions oh well.  I see Lee and Dareus being released and we'll see.  We have the picks and the Shew to play with for the next season or two.  I'm curious to see how the rebuild, better yet, retooling goes and I WANT A TE.  Hopefully Oliver can be the guy; but i've been screaming for OL/TE help for years and Taylor looks good, so its up to Oliver to shut me up.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-01-2019, 10:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 10:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've been saying this for weeks to no avail with the oddly anti-Foles challengers of reason. 

The only way I see him gone prior to November 2020 is if a QB needy team offers the farm NEXT year.
  Which is very possible. Keeping him until then allows you to have the luxury of a backup you can win with and allows you to maximize the potential trade capital you'd get in return for him.
100% agree and I think Chicago makes the most sense. They have all the pieces for a SB run except QB. They are like the 2017 Jags except they might not double down on Trubisky the way the Jags did with Bortles.

I'm not ready to trade Foles and think he's really valuable in the QB room but I don't want to see him starting in Jacksonville. Not only is Minshew playing extremely well, he brings something else to this team: ENERGY. His constant energy is infectious and the young dudes on this team feed of it.

Chicago should be in the mix, but I think it might come down to a team poised to make a run in Sept/Oct 2020 - but then loses their starting QB early in the season.