Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We have a franchise QB

This implies that learning how to read the field and improving decision making is better served off the field than one. You can make arguments either way for which is better in each individual case.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

One thing I think you have to factor in with Minshew, preseason he was fighting to get on the roster, he gets thrown in at the deep end week 1 and is then asked to win us games the next 8 weeks. Every rookie has areas to develop and improve and we all know Minshews college career.

Hes been asked to do so much already. How comfortable is he with the playbook, hes HAD to learn so much so quick. I dont see it hurting him letting him heal up a bit, letting him learn some more.

Haskins was a 1st round pick and hasn't played as he hasn't got the playbook yet, Jones is going downhill in NY. Minshew is way ahead of those guys at the moment.

(11-06-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: QBs developing by playing or sitting is absolutely a case by case basis.

I just happen to value Minshew playing in this scenario given how the season has gone, the schedule and what the long term QB situation is. There's no set way to do it

Explain the criteria for your different cases, then

Saying there's no set way to do it is fine, but there sure is a [BLEEP] ton of talk every single Spring about drafting a guy and sitting him for a year. Seems a pretty "set way" to me. 

I'm curious why Minshew suddenly won't benefit from this "luxury" of sitting that we so often talk about around draft time.

I have a theory...  When you play a guy right away and ruin him, you did it wrong.

(11-06-2019, 12:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: This implies that learning how to read the field and improving decision making is better served off the field than one. You can make arguments either way for which is better in each individual case.

*He's built film of him doing it well and doing it poorly.  He can really sort through that with Milanovich/DeFilippo now. 

*He's about to watch Foles go do it a bit differently and ostensibly quicker than he did. 

I see that as a very good learning opportunity.  
I think you absolutely need to learn it off the field FIRST, and he'll now have had opportunity to do learn it both on and off then field in his rookie year. 
Win/Win. 

What I fear leaving him out there is that he doesn't get the right chance to see why he needs to pull the trigger sooner sometimes - opposed to making Minshew magic happen on the run so often.  Never want to lose that, but it can't be a pillar of the offense's ability to move the chains.

(11-06-2019, 07:49 AM)PS9 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:38 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: Foles has been a different QB the last 2 seasons, specifically in crunch time and in the playoffs.  His career post season passer rating is among the highest in NFL history.

Minshew looks like the real deal and he most likely will have a nice career.  If you want to win THIS season, Foles is your guy....especially now.
How did that playoff game against the saints end for Foles?

He single handedly brought the team back from a 15% chance to make the playoffs to winning 4 straight win or the season is over games, including a playoff win.

He then put a ball right through Alshon’s Jeffery’s hands in the Saints game that ended up costing the Eagles the game on that play.

Trust me, there’s about half the Eagles fan base that wouldn’t mind having him back so he can save their season for a 3rd year in a row.

(11-06-2019, 12:08 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 11:47 AM)JackCity Wrote: QBs developing by playing or sitting is absolutely a case by case basis.

I just happen to value Minshew playing in this scenario given how the season has gone, the schedule and what the long term QB situation is. There's no set way to do it

Explain the criteria for your different cases, then. 

Saying there's no set way to do it is fine, but there sure is a [BLEEP] ton of talk every single Spring about drafting a guy and sitting him for a year. Seems a pretty "set way" to me. 

I'm curious why Minshew suddenly won't benefit from this "luxury" of sitting that we so often talk about around draft time.

Well for one if the situation is terrible and the QB is just getting relentlessly beaten over and over like Rosen last year I see more tangible benefits to sitting than starting. 

Another example is if a QB has a big mechanical deficiency and it's impacting his effectiveness to a large degree then I see it being more beneficial to try iron out the kinks for a season on the bench than playing through it.  

I didn't say he wouldn't benefit from sitting, I just think he'd benefit more long term from starting and working through the problems. He isn't scared out there which is 1 important perquisite and from what we know he seems to have a good enough level of prep to not be completely buried from the get go by the playbook. Albeit still aways to go in terms of picking apart defenses

(11-06-2019, 07:49 AM)PS9 Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 06:38 PM)Ace Nova Wrote: Foles has been a different QB the last 2 seasons, specifically in crunch time and in the playoffs.  His career post season passer rating is among the highest in NFL history.

Minshew looks like the real deal and he most likely will have a nice career.  If you want to win THIS season, Foles is your guy....especially now.
How did that playoff game against the saints end for Foles?

Like this:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzvT4PmqlMM

(11-06-2019, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:30 PM)JackCity Wrote: This implies that learning how to read the field and improving decision making is better served off the field than one. You can make arguments either way for which is better in each individual case.

*He's built film of him doing it well and doing it poorly.  He can really sort through that with Milanovich/DeFilippo now. 

*He's about to watch Foles go do it a bit differently and ostensibly quicker than he did. 

I think you absolutely need to learn it off the field FIRST, and he'll now have had opportunity to do learn it both on and off then field in his rookie year. 
Win/Win. 

What I fear leaving him out there is that he doesn't get the right chance to see why he needs to pull the trigger sooner sometimes - opposed to making Minshew magic happen on the run so often.  Never want to lose that, but it can't be a pillar of the offense's ability to move the chains.
That's what these next two weeks could have been used for considering it's our BYE week. He can spend every waking moment sorting through his film for the next two weeks and then come prepared for the Colts game.

The moment was clearly not too big for Minshew and since he kept his composure, you don't hurt him while playing him. I just personally think that because he's sitting now after playing so well, it's only going to hinder his development.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 01:25 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

(11-06-2019, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Win/Win. 

I agree with the poster that said it's all on coaching.  Mahomes wouldnt be Mahomes with this staff, i can tell you that.  If this system is tailored to Foles and we are right here on the verge of make or break, let's see some Foles magic and see him teach the rook.  Either he shows GM how its done or we put GM back in there and make some changes to fit his style of play and how he runs the offense.  I have faith that GM will be alot better with a system tailored to him as oppose to a non mobile QB.  Coaching should fix this but that implies that we have the staff to help him.  Both are big question marks and we have a week to woosah and stock up the popcorn.
Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(11-06-2019, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 12:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: *He's built film of him doing it well and doing it poorly.  He can really sort through that with Milanovich/DeFilippo now. 

Win/Win. 

That's what these next two weeks could have been used for considering it's our BYE week. He can spend every waking moment sorting through his film for the next two weeks and then come prepared for the Colts game.

The moment was clearly not too big for Minshew and since he kept his composure, you don't hurt him while playing him. I just personally think that because he's sitting now after playing so well, it's only going to hinder his development.

Yeah, I don't think he kept his composure enough at times and it's that bad habit I'd like to see broken before it takes root too deeply. 

How will this hinder his development?  Specifically?

(11-06-2019, 01:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 07:49 AM)PS9 Wrote: How did that playoff game against the saints end for Foles?

Like this:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzvT4PmqlMM

So it's a guarantee that the eagles were going to get the game winning TD.  I could see if the play was inside the 5 or 10.  They arent even in the redzone yet but cool.  Kind of like this play but hurt alot more on our end. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m47q_TnsOdA
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-06-2019, 01:34 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Like this:  

So it's a guarantee that the eagles were going to get the game winning TD.  I could see if the play was inside the 5 or 10.  They arent even in the redzone yet but cool.  Kind of like this play but hurt alot more on our end. 

Well, Foles didn't underthrow his guy like Bortles did.

(11-06-2019, 01:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:34 PM)JagsFansince1995 Wrote: So it's a guarantee that the eagles were going to get the game winning TD.  I could see if the play was inside the 5 or 10.  They arent even in the redzone yet but cool.  Kind of like this play but hurt alot more on our end. 

Well, Foles didn't underthrow his guy like Bortles did.

touche lol
Season Tix, Section 409

(11-06-2019, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That's what these next two weeks could have been used for considering it's our BYE week. He can spend every waking moment sorting through his film for the next two weeks and then come prepared for the Colts game.

Yeah, I don't think he kept his composure enough at times and it's that bad habit I'd like to see broken before it takes root too deeply. 

Being in a game and seeing the different defenses (specifically Colts and Titans) as well as the different looks that each coordinator will bring. Seeing how to call out different blitz pickups while the game is being called. It's one thing to call out the blitz pickup in a meeting room and it's another to do it during a live game.

Not to mention, figuring out if Minshew has the goods for almost a full season will go a long way to figuring out if the's the future. Worst case scenario here is that Foles falters down the stretch. They start next season with Minshew and it turns out he was just a flash in a pan. That's 2 straight poop seasons of QB play while passing up QB prospects in the draft.

(11-06-2019, 01:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, I don't think he kept his composure enough at times and it's that bad habit I'd like to see broken before it takes root too deeply. 

Being in a game and seeing the different defenses (specifically Colts and Titans) as well as the different looks that each coordinator will bring. Seeing how to call out different blitz pickups while the game is being called. It's one thing to call out the blitz pickup in a meeting room and it's another to do it during a live game.

Not to mention, figuring out if Minshew has the goods for almost a full season will go a long way to figuring out if the's the future. Worst case scenario here is that Foles falters down the stretch. They start next season with Minshew and it turns out he was just a flash in a pan. That's 2 straight poop seasons of QB play while passing up QB prospects in the draft.

He's already got tape seeing defenses well and seeing them poorly.
Picking up blitzes well, and leaving guys unabated.
He can grow in the meeting room on that now. He's not going to magically click on the field with it under fire. 

They have plenty of time to evaluate Minshew and they got more tape of good and bad than they ever thought they'd have for him to this point.  The fact that they even know he might be the future  and not just a backup right now is huge already.  
They aren't losing out on anything by him sitting now IMO.  I just don't see any downside unless Foles comes in and stinks up the place.

I just think you ride with Minshew, figure out what you have for when you fire the entire coaching staff, and then hire people that can work with Minshew (or whoever the QB will be, if he stinks) and play to his strengths and actually build a franchise around him.

You don't build a franchise around a running back.

(11-06-2019, 01:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yeah, I don't think he kept his composure enough at times and it's that bad habit I'd like to see broken before it takes root too deeply. 

I wholeheartedly agree.
Season Tix, Section 409

All the same people clamoring and drooling all over Minshew were the same dorks that clamored and defended Bortles, Gabbert, and Leftwich. Some fans get caught up in FEELINGS instead of sanity and reason. They will yell and scream and beat you down until you see things their way or just walk away from the conversation... I like Minshew, I really like him. I just want him to learn a little more before we throw him to the wolves. He is not ready to lead an NFL team to a winning season. He may be in the future, but he is UNPROVEN. Meanwhile, we have NICK FREAKING FOLES as the QB of this team. A PROVEN, SUPER BOWL MVP QUARTERBACK that in the last two years has done really well in Nov and Dec.....

Let Minshew be a rookie and learn and calm your nerves...
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(11-06-2019, 02:40 PM)Ronster Wrote: All the same people clamoring and drooling all over Minshew were the same dorks that clamored and defended Bortles, Gabbert, and Leftwich. Some fans get caught up in FEELINGS instead of sanity and reason. They will yell and scream and beat you down until you see things their way or just walk away from the conversation... I like Minshew, I really like him. I just want him to learn a little more before we throw him to the wolves. He is not ready to lead an NFL team to a winning season. He may be in the future, but he is UNPROVEN. Meanwhile, we have NICK FREAKING FOLES as the QB of this team. A PROVEN, SUPER BOWL MVP QUARTERBACK that in the last two years has done really well in Nov and Dec.....

This is such bull [BLEEP].

There's no need to lie to prove how much you have a thing for Nicky-poo.

I have a strong feeling reality is going to slug you in the face, but I'm hopefully wrong.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 02:44 PM by Cleatwood.)

(11-06-2019, 02:40 PM)Ronster Wrote: All the same people clamoring and drooling all over Minshew were the same dorks that clamored and defended Bortles, Gabbert, and Leftwich. Some fans get caught up in FEELINGS instead of sanity and reason. They will yell and scream and beat you down until you see things their way or just walk away from the conversation... I like Minshew, I really like him. I just want him to learn a little more before we throw him to the wolves. He is not ready to lead an NFL team to a winning season. He may be in the future, but he is UNPROVEN. Meanwhile, we have NICK FREAKING FOLES as the QB of this team. A PROVEN, SUPER BOWL MVP QUARTERBACK that in the last two years has done really well in Nov and Dec.....

Hahahahahaha 

BOYCOOOOOOOTTTTTT

(11-06-2019, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-06-2019, 01:58 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Being in a game and seeing the different defenses (specifically Colts and Titans) as well as the different looks that each coordinator will bring. Seeing how to call out different blitz pickups while the game is being called. It's one thing to call out the blitz pickup in a meeting room and it's another to do it during a live game.

He's already got tape seeing defenses well and seeing them poorly.
Picking up blitzes well, and leaving guys unabated.
He can grow in the meeting room on that now. He's not going to magically click on the field with it under fire. 

They have plenty of time to evaluate Minshew and they got more tape of good and bad than they ever thought they'd have for him to this point.  The fact that they even know he might be the future  and not just a backup right now is huge already.  
They aren't losing out on anything by him sitting now IMO.  I just don't see any downside unless Foles comes in and stinks up the place.
I don't necessarily see a major downside but I'm curious to see how quickly he can knock the rust off. How quickly can he gain some chemistry with Chark when very clearly Minshew already has it. The Jags can't afford for Foles to take a few games getting acclimated to game speed.

I'm not saying Foles is going to play bad by any means but just that once I saw Minshew may have had the goods, I would have continued to play him.