Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 10:23 AM by JackCity.)

(03-18-2020, 10:08 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:01 AM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1240...54753?s=19

Those Trump statements are both true. What are you trying to prove, that you're just as clueless as Sam Stein?

It's okay. You will defend him regardless of what anyone says, thankfully it's very easy to see his initial response to the crisis.

https://therecount.com/watch/trump-coron...2645515793

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Carnival down to $10 a share. Based on the math, do they go out of business in a week?

(03-18-2020, 10:22 AM)JackCity Wrote:

I want to laugh at that calendar, but it's really [BLEEP] deplorable. 

It's being reported today that the US turned away hundreds of thousands of test kits being offered by a German company in late February saying we'd create our own.  It's March 18th and several states are still saying they don't have enough testing ability. 

State governors were also told by Trump this morning in a conference call that they were on their own in acquiring ventilators and respirators - and that the federal government is not intervening.  Of course, the white house could enact a measure which would keep American manufacturers of these devices working 24/7 to provide for the anticipated need.

(03-18-2020, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

It's being reported today that the US turned away hundreds of thousands of test kits being offered by a German company in late February saying we'd create our own.  It's March 18th and several states are still saying they don't have enough testing ability. 

State governors were also told by Trump this morning in a conference call that they were on their own in acquiring ventilators and respirators - and that the federal government is not intervening.  Of course, the white house could enact a measure which would keep American manufacturers of these devices working 24/7 to provide for the anticipated need.

Sure, let's just throw away the last 200 years. Why not?

This virus is going to be the most overblown thing of this century... especially when the final estimations are out and over a billion people were infected and less than a million die.

(03-18-2020, 10:44 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I want to laugh at that calendar, but it's really [BLEEP] deplorable. 

This virus is going to be the most overblown thing of this century... especially when the final estimations are out and over a billion people were infected and less than a million die.
Oh wow? Only less than a million?! HOORAY! We won!

The non-talked about thing here is credit companies continuing to charge up to 25% interest. The current democratic front runner enabled this behavior, FYI.

(03-18-2020, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I want to laugh at that calendar, but it's really [BLEEP] deplorable. 

Yes, by all means we should make no early effort to slow the spread of something that will take one million lives. 
Sounds brilliant.

(03-18-2020, 10:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:44 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Sure, let's just throw away the last 200 years. Why not?

Yes, by all means we should make no early effort to slow the spread of something that will take one million lives. 
Sounds brilliant.

The "early efforts" were called racist and xenophobic man. You want it both ways and you can't have it.

(03-18-2020, 10:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:44 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Sure, let's just throw away the last 200 years. Why not?

Oh wow? Only less than a million?! HOORAY! We won!

So... the same as a bad flu season. Yea... super terrible.

(03-18-2020, 10:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Yes, by all means we should make no early effort to slow the spread of something that will take one million lives. 
Sounds brilliant.

The "early efforts" were called racist and xenophobic man. You want it both ways and you can't have it.

There were no early efforts.

(03-18-2020, 10:54 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Oh wow? Only less than a million?! HOORAY! We won!

So... the same as a bad flu season. Yea... super terrible.

Especially for something that really appears to have been a manufactured bio-weapon either accidentally or intentionally released.

(03-18-2020, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The "early efforts" were called racist and xenophobic man. You want it both ways and you can't have it.

Wrong, Trump instituted a travel ban on China in February.

It's a shame that a minor contagion fear ramped up by a hostile media is turning our population into sniveling [BLEEP].
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-17-2020, 05:17 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 05:00 PM)Gabe Wrote: DeSantis just suspended alcohol sales for 30 days too for alcoholic beverage license holders (those whose alcohol sales represent more than 50% of their total income).

For what purpose? This one stings for a bunch of my former brethren. Businesses will go bankrupt if they weren't already heading that way

It has gone beyond stupid.  Government at all levels are taking draconian measures that communist countries normally take.  Let US decide if we want to go to a restaurant or bar.  Let US decide if we want to purchase alcohol, beer or wine (among other things).  We don't need a "nanny government" at any level dictating what we can or can not do.

I can understand the intent which is to limit crowds of people, but to hurt small businesses even more is just crazy.  I say let "natural selection" take it's course.

That's wonderful, good for you, enjoy your drink, thanks for killing your grandmother when you bump into her at the supermarket and breath on the bag of oranges she's picking up.

The point of the restrictions isn't to keep healthy individuals like you and me safe. It's to keep us from passing the virus that we're probably already carrying along to people who wouldn't be able to carry it without symptoms. Do I like being cooped up in my home? No. Is it going to stop me from going out for a walk? No. Do I believe that being cooped up is serving any purpose? You know, I have to trust the judgment of those who know far more than I ever will (including direct advisers to the president and his lordship himself) who say that staying as isolated as possible is a necessary precaution right now. If you can't handle skipping restaurants for a couple weeks, [BLEEP] download Uber Eats. If you can't go a couple of weeks without stocking up on booze, see a counselor when this is all over. If you can't handle stepping to the side as a precaution and/or courtesy to others who are susceptible to the virus, stay inside your own home. 

If spending a few seconds of my life waiting a couple of steps off the sidewalk for an elderly person to pass could potentially save their life, [BLEEP] yes I'll step off the sidewalk. [BLEEP] "natural selection". At some point, we're all human beings, we're all along for the same ride, and that dick-first machismo being projected by the "me first" crowd is as sad as it is dangerous.

(03-18-2020, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:52 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The "early efforts" were called racist and xenophobic man. You want it both ways and you can't have it.

He literally issued a travel ban on China last month. Where in the hell do you get your news?

(03-18-2020, 11:07 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 10:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: There were no early efforts.

He literally issued a travel ban on China last month. Where in the hell do you get your news?

After weeks of denouncing the whole thing as a non-story he allowed citizens and green card holders to return from China - many of whom were completely untested at either border. Foreign citizens were the ones prohibited from travel. 

It wasn't early, it was late, and it was a half measure.

So you think we should go full Draconian?

Hopefully you don't meet the same fate he did... suffocated in hats.. because the public actually loved him putting everyone to death for defying any rule.

You're very quick to give up your freedom.. I'm not.

(03-18-2020, 09:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 09:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

He called it a [BLEEP] HOAX. And because of that stance (that he stuck with for a few days) millions of his base are still treating it as such. 

He [BLEEP] up.

There's really no explaining that away.

He called the media response to it a hoax.

Your defenses of Trump are vapid enough without getting them wrong. He wasn't talking about the media, he was talking about Democrats and their criticism of the Administration's "efforts" in the face of the coming outbreak. Regardless, the crowd response was as expected, because it did appear that he was calling the pandemic a hoax.

Quote:Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that

Trump's reference to the media coverage was later in the speech.

Quote:So a number that nobody heard of that I heard of recently and I was shocked to hear it, 35,000 people on average die each year from the flu. Did anyone know that? 35,000. That’s a lot of people. It could go to 100,000, it could be 27,000, they say usually a minimum of 27, it goes up to 100,000 people a year who die, and so far we have lost nobody to coronavirus in the United States. Nobody. And it doesn’t mean we won’t, and we are totally prepared, it doesn’t mean we won’t. But think of it. You hear 35 and 40,000 people, and we’ve lost nobody, and you wonder, the press is in hysteria mode.

Given recent developments, the POTUS should have just kept his [BLEEP] mouth shut.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 11:38 AM by MalabarJag.)

(03-18-2020, 10:08 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
Those Trump statements are both true. What are you trying to prove, that you're just as clueless as Sam Stein?

It's okay. You will defend him regardless of what anyone says, thankfully it's very easy to see his initial response to the crisis.

His initial response was to shut down travel from China. So you are correct that we should be thankful. BTW, a tweet is not a "response."

Besides Italy, Germany and France both have more cases than the US, and many other EU countries are way ahead of the US in per capita cases. If you want to claim it's due to more testing, UK, France and The Netherlands also have more deaths than the US, which is not related to testing. I can't prove it's because the EU lagged over a month behind Trump in shutting down incoming travel, but the correlation is strong.

(03-18-2020, 10:37 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Check your facts. Both are lies. You shouldn't believe the lies of the mainstream (anti_Trump) media.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(03-18-2020, 11:26 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 11:07 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: He literally issued a travel ban on China last month. Where in the hell do you get your news?

After weeks of denouncing the whole thing as a non-story he allowed citizens and green card holders to return from China - many of whom were completely untested at either border. Foreign citizens were the ones prohibited from travel. 

It wasn't early, it was late, and it was a half measure.

They had mandatory quarantines.  Looking for the link about ventilators.  Last I checked the feds had 5 million respirators and thousands of ventilators to spin out.

Interrupting the Blame Game to provide actual useful information:

Looks like Type A is more susceptible to the virus than the more common Type O blood.

In China:
Type O = 34% of people but 25% of corona-virus patients
Type A = 32% of people but 41% of corona-virus patients.

Might want to take extra precautions if you are Type A.

(03-18-2020, 11:34 AM)rollerjag Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 09:46 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: He called the media response to it a hoax.

Your defenses of Trump are vapid enough without getting them wrong. He wasn't talking about the media, he was talking about Democrats and their criticism of the Administration's "efforts" in the face of the coming outbreak. Regardless, the crowd response was as expected, because it did appear that he was calling the pandemic a hoax.

Quote:Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, ‘How’s President Trump doing?’ They go, ‘Oh, not good, not good.’ They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. They can’t even count their votes in Iowa, they can’t even count. No they can’t. They can’t count their votes.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it. They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that

Trump's reference to the media coverage was later in the speech.

You fail to recognize that what Trump and his supporters know: that "media" and "democrats" are synonymous when you are discussing things that are said in public or printed.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"