Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

I worry about the younger generation with regard to healthy debate. I've have been in more than one conversation where uneducated youngsters told my my opinion is stupid without even being willing to hear my defense or give an account for theirs.

I literally had a 23 year woman tell me my opinion was valid, but didn't make any sense. I asked her what valid meant. She said that just means you have a right to your own opinion. I explained to her what valid actually meant, she made a joke that I cared about stupid stuff like that. Her friend also agreed with her. These were not stupid people. They are just used to being able to shut down debate.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-24-2020, 01:47 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:03 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: No. 

I think the supply chains and availability are overwhelmed by the demand for this protective gear. (and ventilators)
Meanwhile the Feds claim to have stockpiles and to be acquiring more stock.  Yet they are NOT expediting this stock to states where hospitals are breaking safety protocol to continue treating patients, therefore endangering lives of hospital staff. 

This inaction is bordering on criminal at this point. The supply chain is not healthy enough to provide crucial medical supplies during a pandemic and it must be augmented by the federal government so that lives are not needlessly lost. 

Two hospital workers just died from this virus a stone's throw from Jacksonville by the way. It's not about the capacity (yet) - it's about adequate measures to protect medical staff not being taken due to shortage of PPE.

With respect are you watching the daily briefs.  

I'm watching. I hear empty promises.

I'm listening to countless doctors say they are undersupplied and a dozen governors saying they are getting no help from the federal government after repeatedly requesting it.   And I watched as a dozen websites appeared over the weekend to facilitate private donors to give supplies to hospitals that are in dire need. 

I'm not making this [BLEEP] up. And it is happening in Jacksonville hospitals as well. Nurses and technicians are re-using masks and trying to hide stashes of the ones in short supply so that they don't run out all together in the coming days.

(03-24-2020, 05:22 PM)Last42min Wrote: I worry about the younger generation with regard to healthy debate. I've have been in more than one conversation where uneducated youngsters told my my opinion is stupid without even being willing to hear my defense or give an account for theirs.

I literally had a 23 year woman tell me my opinion was valid, but didn't make any sense. I asked her what valid meant. She said that just means you have a right to your own opinion. I explained to her what valid actually meant, she made a joke that I cared about stupid stuff like that. Her friend also agreed with her. These were not stupid people. They are just used to being able to shut down debate.

I’d refrain from arguing with 20’somethings.  FBT’s signature is coming to mind right now.

(03-24-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Gabe Wrote: Again, for someone the public was looking to for answers, his absence was notable to me. It'll continue to be viewed that way by me as long as he remains absent from the podium. No offense taken. I know how the MSM (and I'm including FOX) will twist to specific narratives to get views

Side-note: Trump wants churches packed in 19 days. It's pessimistic of me, but I doubt we'll have flattened the curve by that point.

Again, where has this been reported?  I haven't heard any such thing.  What I did hear from him today is that he is hoping that the country will be "open for business" by Easter.  I didn't hear anything about "churches being packed".  Once again it's fake news.

I'll go out on a limb here and speculate.  He was asked about the "stay at home" thing being lifted and he talked about wanting people to be able to get back to work.  He mentioned that the target date was "by Easter".  Easter is a religious holiday for some people.  I'm speculating that some leftist(s) interpreted that as him wanting "churches packed" and that is the narrative being spread on social media.

If you really think about it, what does "having churches packed" have anything to do with the crisis?  Do you really think that it's a priority for the administration right now?

Come on Gabe.  You seem to be reasonable.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1242537995103846400

(03-24-2020, 05:22 PM)Last42min Wrote: I worry about the younger generation with regard to healthy debate. I've have been in more than one conversation where uneducated youngsters told my my opinion is stupid without even being willing to hear my defense or give an account for theirs.

I wanna know what you’re debating with two 20 year old women! Gotta be good.

(03-22-2020, 12:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 02:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Latest US totals at the Johns-Hopkins site are:
22,177 confirmed cases
278 deaths
147 recoveries

(FL - 659 confirmed cases - that's an increase of 106 cases since this morning's update)

FL now at 763. 

That's 210 new cases in FL in less than 24 hours.  
FL is now at 1,412 cases.  That number is double what it was 4 days ago. 
(US total 53, 268 cases  - 696 deaths)

It's very tempting to think that once you start a debate, both sides have to either yield the point, or press on with discussion. But that's not reality. You and that 23-year-old female did not agree to ground rules and time limits. Most likely, she simply got tired of talking to you.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(03-24-2020, 06:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

I wanna know what you’re debating with two 20 year old women! Gotta be good.

I'm not going to derail this thread any further with this side note, but I'll respond to this. 

The woman received a news update on her phone and was sad to find out Mike Pence's wife didn't get coronavirus, which I pushed back against. She said she wouldn't mind if his whole family died because of his position on gays.

She wouldn't even consider the possibility that her position was flawed. There is a serious lack of self reflection going on there.

Anyways, that's just one example of many, and, to be fair, our political climate is more polarized than ever, so it's not just an issue for the younger generation. My concern is not so much that they are doing it, rather that they are lacking experience that it could be done any other way.

(03-24-2020, 06:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 12:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: FL now at 763. 

That's 210 new cases in FL in less than 24 hours.  
FL is now at 1,412 cases.  That number is double what it was 4 days ago. 
(US total 53, 268 cases  - 696 deaths)

Keep in mind, the amount of testing went up significantly in the last 4 days. After we catch up, then we can see how fast our curve is rising. Another positive is that it took 4 days to double. In some places, it's doubling every day.

(03-24-2020, 06:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I'm listening to countless doctors say they are undersupplied and a dozen governors saying they are getting no help from the federal government after repeatedly requesting it.   And I watched as a dozen websites appeared over the weekend to facilitate private donors to give supplies to hospitals that are in dire need. 

I'm not making this [BLEEP] up. And it is happening in Jacksonville hospitals as well. Nurses and technicians are re-using masks and trying to hide stashes of the ones in short supply so that they don't run out all together in the coming days.

Anyone watching Trump's daily briefs to completion and coming away from it comforted must be the truest of believers. The one yesterday degenerated so deep into self-pity and blame placing all but FOX cut away.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(03-24-2020, 08:32 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 06:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I wanna know what you’re debating with two 20 year old women! Gotta be good.

I'm not going to derail this thread any further with this side note, but I'll respond to this. 

The woman received a news update on her phone and was sad to find out Mike Pence's wife didn't get coronavirus, which I pushed back against. She said she wouldn't mind if his whole family died because of his position on gays.

She wouldn't even consider the possibility that her position was flawed. There is a serious lack of self reflection going on there.

Anyways, that's just one example of many, and, to be fair, our political climate is more polarized than ever, so it's not just an issue for the younger generation. My concern is not so much that they are doing it, rather that they are lacking experience that it could be done any other way.

She already affirmed that people should suffer and die for disagreeing with her.  I'm not sure how you "pushed back," but you should be honored she didn't also condemn your family to death. 
If you think she generally likes you, enjoys your company, that would be a place to say, "Gee, regardless of gay people and government, I hope you don't condemn my wife to death if I ever say anything you don't like." If you think she doesn't care either way if she ever speaks to you again, then no need to threaten her with losing you as a friend.  Just grimace at her and avoid speaking to her again.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2020, 10:29 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(03-24-2020, 09:20 PM)rollerjag Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 06:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm watching. I hear empty promises.

Anyone watching Trump's daily briefs to completion and coming away from it comforted must be the truest of believers. The one yesterday degenerated so deep into self-pity and blame placing all but FOX cut away.

Is that why he has a 60% approval rating for his handling of the virus? 

You live in an alternate universe. So blinded by the hate in your heart that you cant see reality.

(03-24-2020, 09:35 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 08:32 PM)Last42min Wrote:  

She already affirmed that people should suffer and die for disagreeing with her.  I'm not sure how you "pushed back," but you should be honored she didn't also condemn your family to death. 
If you think she generally likes you, enjoys your company, that would be a place to say, "Gee, regardless of gay people and government, I hope you don't condemn my wife to death if I ever say anything you don't like." If you think she doesn't care either way if she ever speaks to you again, then no need to threaten her with losing you as a friend.  Just grimace at her and avoid speaking to her again.

You have an uncanny ability to miss the point.

(03-24-2020, 10:55 PM)Last42min Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:35 PM)mikesez Wrote: She already affirmed that people should suffer and die for disagreeing with her.  I'm not sure how you "pushed back," but you should be honored she didn't also condemn your family to death. 

You have an uncanny ability to miss the point.

Its a feature, not a bug.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2020, 07:07 AM by Gabe.)

(03-24-2020, 04:37 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Gabe Wrote: Again, for someone the public was looking to for answers, his absence was notable to me. It'll continue to be viewed that way by me as long as he remains absent from the podium. No offense taken. I know how the MSM (and I'm including FOX) will twist to specific narratives to get views

Side-note: Trump wants churches packed in 19 days. It's pessimistic of me, but I doubt we'll have flattened the curve by that point.

Again, where has this been reported?  I haven't heard any such thing.  What I did hear from him today is that he is hoping that the country will be "open for business" by Easter.  I didn't hear anything about "churches being packed".  Once again it's fake news.

I'll go out on a limb here and speculate.  He was asked about the "stay at home" thing being lifted and he talked about wanting people to be able to get back to work.  He mentioned that the target date was "by Easter".  Easter is a religious holiday for some people.  I'm speculating that some leftist(s) interpreted that as him wanting "churches packed" and that is the narrative being spread on social media.

If you really think about it, what does "having churches packed" have anything to do with the crisis?  Do you really think that it's a priority for the administration right now?

Come on Gabe.  You seem to be reasonable.

He literally said those words verbatim...on Fox. I'd caution you to be equally restrained to say "fake news" when info presented doesn't fit your narrative. OTOH, I agree that It'd be amazing if we were on the downslope by that time...even still - it'll be months before it's safe for large gatherings to occur frequently. Otherwise, we negate what efforts we've taken over the past weeks

Additionally, I'm happy to retract my original post about Fauci being permanently absent. Good to see him back
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(03-24-2020, 04:06 PM)Gabe Wrote:

https://twitter.com/jfreewright/status/1...84545?s=20

(03-24-2020, 11:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [Image: ET4j21LU0AUeBX5?format=jpg&name=large]

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/...-hong-kong

Care to take a stab at the relevance of this chart?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-24-2020, 11:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:28 PM)NYC4jag Wrote: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/...-hong-kong

Care to take a stab at the relevance of this chart?

Comp of curve to that of Italy and other hard hit areas.

(03-24-2020, 06:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

When they read the statistics of PPE distributed from the federal stockpile and through FEMA that's a report not a promise.  

A.) This is an unprecedented situation on a global stage.  Yes, there is a shortage of supply.  That's true over the entire world.  

B.) The federal government has distributed millions of units of PPE both from the stockpile, from donations etc.  

C.) The private sector has stepped up to dramatically increase production of PPE, treatment and testing equipment etc..  

Were 8 weeks out from the first case reported on our shores.  In that time we've gone from a country that doesnt usually get exposed to random epidemics of aerosolized pathogens to testing in excess of 300k Americans building field hospitals deploying hospital ships. National guard deployments, increased industrial production etc.  Starting clinical trials on some 300 therapeutics, multiple vaccine candidates, and have acquired and imported millions of doses of experimental theraputics.  

Theres  a lot to be done to fully meet the challenge of what might be the most significant health challenge of our lifetimes.  You can criticize individual decisions or strategies but to make the general assertion of INNACTION is foolish hyperbole that's counter productive to the collective spirit of unity that were all going to need to meet this challenge.