Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(04-01-2020, 08:13 AM)ColoJag Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 07:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So you think it's a good idea to tell 350 million people they have until the end of the week to stock up for being bunkered down for 2 weeks?

COVID-19 would be the last thing you had to worry about at that point.

It's just 2 weeks, it's not 3 months of food supplies...

Lol, have you bought toilet paper recently?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is interesting. Iceland is doing widescale testing of their population for the coronavirus, and they are finding that 50% of the people who contract the coronavirus are asymptomatic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/ic...index.html

That tells me we might be building population immunity faster than we thought.

(04-01-2020, 10:57 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: This is interesting.  Iceland is doing widescale testing of their population for the coronavirus, and they are finding that 50% of the people who contract the coronavirus are asymptomatic.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/europe/ic...index.html

That tells me we might be building population immunity faster than we thought.

We've got a good panic going on here, no need to slow it down with facts and such.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Mayor Curry issuing safer-at-home order for Jacksonville

Here comes Lenny. Clay county merchants thank you.

(04-01-2020, 11:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Mayor Curry issuing safer-at-home order for Jacksonville

Rightfully so.  There's a pandemic out there !!!

The President is offering trillions of dollars in relief, partially, so small business can stay afloat.

Just checking the math on the great king fauci, current estimates put the effective death rate (counting estimated asymptomatic patients) @ .66% for Wuhan province. That means to get to the 2.2 million figure for the us we would need an infection rate of 104.7%.

Where are we going to import these sick people trom?

(04-01-2020, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Mayor Curry issuing safer-at-home order for Jacksonville

Rightfully so.  There's a pandemic out there !!!

The President is offering trillions of dollars in relief, partially, so small business can stay afloat.

Small businesses could've stayed afloat just fine except for the media driven panic.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 11:53 AM by Gabe.)

(04-01-2020, 11:43 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Rightfully so.  There's a pandemic out there !!!

Small businesses could've stayed afloat just fine except for the media driven panic.

This logic is confusing. Did the media influence DeSantis to shut down dine/drink-in service at all local breweries/bars/restaurants/coffee shops/etc.?
I'll play you in ping pong. 

There are a lot of models out there that predict a wide range of outcomes.
Most of them factor in varying degrees of social distancing and other such measures.

Here's one that (somewhat conservatively) predicts 80,000 - 152,000 deaths between now and August 1st.

Quote:One model, from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, forecasts that the United States will see a rapid rise in COVID-19 deaths in the coming weeks, reaching its peak on April 15, with 2,214 deaths per day. Although the rate of deaths is predicted to slow down during the summer, total deaths could reach nearly 84,000 by the beginning of August. In that model, the upper bounds of the researchers' estimates was 152,000 deaths by Aug. 1.

That model also assumes that social distancing measures continue without interruption. "The trajectory of the pandemic will change — and dramatically for the worse — if people ease up on social distancing or relax with other precautions. We encourage everyone to adhere to those precautions to help save lives," Dr. Christopher Murray, director of IHME, said in a statement.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-...usand.html

(04-01-2020, 11:34 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Just checking the math on the great king fauci, current estimates put the effective death rate (counting estimated asymptomatic patients) @ .66% for Wuhan province.  That means to get to the 2.2 million figure for the us we would need an infection rate of 104.7%.  

Where are we going to import these sick people trom?

The 2.2 million figure was based on an infection rate of 80%. So perhaps that number of 2.2 million could be corrected downward to 2.2 * 0.8 / 1.047 =1.7 million. That is still catastrophically high.
But that estimate also had some assumptions baked in about us running out of ventilators at a certain point. Lots of moving parts.
You can say that they are estimating out of ignorance, but they are the most informed people in the world. They are ignorant, yes, but the rest of us are all even more ignorant.
And you seem to be attributing the errors that they might be making in ignorance to malice. We should all remember Hanlon's razor.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-01-2020, 11:43 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:34 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Rightfully so.  There's a pandemic out there !!!

Last I checked, the media is only streaming what Trump and Dr Fauci are saying.  State & Local Reps are making decisions based on that.  If you are dissatisfied with your State and Local reps decisions, then vote them out during their next election.

The people have the power, quit complaining and act accordingly during the next election.

(04-01-2020, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:43 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Small businesses could've stayed afloat just fine except for the media driven panic.

Last I checked, the media is only streaming what Trump and Dr Fauci are saying.  State & Local Reps are making decisions based on that.  If you are dissatisfied with your State and Local reps decisions, then vote them out during their next election.

The people have the power, quit complaining and act accordingly during the next election.

My brewery was taking its lumps before we ultimately closed last July. Even if we were healthy (i.e. in the black) at this point in time, we would have been forced to close for good anyways. I can't imagine how difficult it is in Tallahassee right now (let alone anywhere) for its fledgling breweries to make ends meet. The first cards in a tall, tall tower are starting to fall.

(04-01-2020, 11:48 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:43 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Small businesses could've stayed afloat just fine except for the media driven panic.

This logic is confusing. Did the media influence DeSantis to shut down dine/drink-in service at all local breweries/bars/restaurants/coffee shops/etc.?

Yes, that and peer pressure to see which governor can push this nonsense the furthest.

(04-01-2020, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

I didn't vote them in, I just have to deal with the fallout.

Good news everyone! Physician"s Weekly is reporting on studies that are showing that 97% of patients put on mechanical ventilators due to COVID-19 die, so no need to fuss over not having enough because they don't work anyway. Also, CPR doesn't work at about the same percentage, so no reason to have our valuable medical professionals even engage it anymore.

(04-01-2020, 01:06 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 12:30 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Last I checked, the media is only streaming what Trump and Dr Fauci are saying.  State & Local Reps are making decisions based on that.  If you are dissatisfied with your State and Local reps decisions, then vote them out during their next election.

My brewery was taking its lumps before we ultimately closed last July. Even if we were healthy (i.e. in the black) at this point in time, we would have been forced to close for good anyways. I can't imagine how difficult it is in Tallahassee right now (let alone anywhere) for its fledgling breweries to make ends meet. The first cards in a tall, tall tower are starting to fall.

Did corrupt Mayor Gillum come around monthly and collect his "take" or threaten to break your legs?

(04-01-2020, 01:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Good news everyone! Physician"s Weekly is reporting on studies that are showing that 97% of patients put on mechanical ventilators due to COVID-19 die, so no need to fuss over not having enough because they don't work anyway. Also, CPR doesn't work at about the same percentage, so no reason to have our valuable medical professionals even engage it anymore.

I just heard 80% die (as discussed on CNBC this morning) --- either way, it's an alarming rate.

(04-01-2020, 01:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 01:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Good news everyone! Physician"s Weekly is reporting on studies that are showing that 97% of patients put on mechanical ventilators due to COVID-19 die, so no need to fuss over not having enough because they don't work anyway. Also, CPR doesn't work at about the same percentage, so no reason to have our valuable medical professionals even engage it anymore.

I just heard 80% die (as discussed on CNBC this morning) --- either way, it's an alarming rate.

So now... the question becomes.... are we just prolonging the inevitable with the use of ventilators? ....just causes others in earlier stages to not receive care that could potentially save their lives...?

So now all of Florida is on a stay home order but what is actually going to close that wasn’t already closed?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(04-01-2020, 01:35 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 01:06 PM)Gabe Wrote: My brewery was taking its lumps before we ultimately closed last July. Even if we were healthy (i.e. in the black) at this point in time, we would have been forced to close for good anyways. I can't imagine how difficult it is in Tallahassee right now (let alone anywhere) for its fledgling breweries to make ends meet. The first cards in a tall, tall tower are starting to fall.

Did corrupt Mayor Gillum come around monthly and collect his "take" or threaten to break your legs?

Maybe you could also present a positive comment so as to round things out, eh SC?

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 02:23 PM by p_rushing.)

(04-01-2020, 04:55 AM)ColoJag Wrote: Why can't we just shut down EVERYTHING except hospitals and actual essential jobs for 2 weeks? Close grocery stores, hardware stores, and all the stores like them for 2 weeks. Tell people they have by the end of the week to stock up on whatever they need and once next Monday starts everything is closed. Because if everyone actually quarantines for 2 weeks then how would it spread?

This probably is needed, but how can you make companies take care of their employees? Short of saying no one gets fired, no one has to pay for anything but food/medical (i.e. no rent, mortgage, etc), how do you think that would work?