Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(04-01-2020, 12:23 PM)Rico Wrote: The overuse and misuse of literal.  I've probably got a post on the is in this thread already.

Do people know what literal means?  I just read one in the football section that I won't repeat, and shook my head....literally.   Rolleyes

You’ve literally got me skimming the football section trying to find this post.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2020, 05:16 PM by RicoTx.)

(04-01-2020, 04:47 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 12:23 PM)Rico Wrote: The overuse and misuse of literal.  I've probably got a post on the is in this thread already.

Do people know what literal means?  I just read one in the football section that I won't repeat, and shook my head....literally.   Rolleyes

You’ve literally got me skimming the football section trying to find this post.
I'll get blasted for grammar police, but...

The offensive line is a literal turnstile.  Ummm...no they aren't.

Figuratively, maybe...literally...not so much.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-01-2020, 05:14 PM)Rico Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 04:47 PM)Jags Wrote: You’ve literally got me skimming the football section trying to find this post.
I'll get blasted for grammar police, but...

Ah...  didn’t see the post.  At least I now know I’m not the culprit.  I have been known to use that word.  Probably more than I should.  

I will say, even incorrectly hearing that word is better than having 2 guys in your truck repeatedly say “low key” in every other sentence.  Had that happen to me a year or so ago.  I’d hear “I low key love that song by “.....”.  Or “I low key have a hard on for (whatever girl).  

Omg. Shut the [BLEEP] up kids.

(04-01-2020, 08:36 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 05:14 PM)Rico Wrote: I'll get blasted for grammar police, but...

Ah...  didn’t see the post.  At least I now know I’m not the culprit.  I have been known to use that word.  Probably more than I should.  

I will say, even incorrectly hearing that word is better than having 2 guys in your truck repeatedly say “low key” in every other sentence.  Had that happen to me a year or so ago.  I’d hear “I low key love that song by “.....”.  Or “I low key have a hard on for (whatever girl).  

They are summoning Loki, trickster god, you just are misspelling their words in your mind.

(04-02-2020, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 08:36 PM)Jags Wrote: Ah...  didn’t see the post.  At least I now know I’m not the culprit.  I have been known to use that word.  Probably more than I should.  

They are summoning Loki, trickster god, you just are misspelling their words in your mind.

Sounded more like they were summoning Stupid.

I’m putting this into the trivial category because my wife and I still have a job. But I have a landscape job I’m supposed to be at right now. Since we are driving separate and I’m the one with the truck and trailer full of materials, nothing is getting done. Wife had to go into the office, and all her coworkers now asking “can you this or that while there”. I’m home with my kid. She needs to get back so I can get to work.

Bright side, she’s been out of our office so I was able to get my invoices sent out.

(04-03-2020, 11:20 AM)Jags Wrote: I’m putting this into the trivial category because my wife and I still have a job.  But I have a landscape job I’m supposed to be at right now.  Since we are driving separate and I’m the one with the truck and trailer full of materials, nothing is getting done.  Wife had to go into the office, and all her coworkers now asking “can you this or that while there”.  I’m home with my kid.  She needs to get back so I can get to work.  

Bright side, she’s been out of our office so I was able to get my invoices sent out.

Put the kid to work.

(04-02-2020, 01:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote: They are summoning Loki, trickster god, you just are misspelling their words in your mind.

Sounds like they already had plenty of stupid and didn't really need to summon any more.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 11:51 AM by Jags.)

(04-03-2020, 11:27 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 11:20 AM)Jags Wrote: I’m putting this into the trivial category because my wife and I still have a job.  But I have a landscape job I’m supposed to be at right now.  Since we are driving separate and I’m the one with the truck and trailer full of materials, nothing is getting done.  Wife had to go into the office, and all her coworkers now asking “can you this or that while there”.  I’m home with my kid.  She needs to get back so I can get to work.  

Put the kid to work.

I thought about bringing her.  But she’s 5.  She’s already bored.

(04-03-2020, 11:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 01:24 PM)Jags Wrote: Sounded more like they were summoning Stupid.

Sounds like they already had plenty of stupid and didn't really need to summon any more.

Neither of them work for me anymore and the smarter of the two actually blew his fingers off on the Fourth of July a few years back.  So...I’d say you’re probably right.

(04-02-2020, 01:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 09:10 AM)Mikey Wrote: They are summoning Loki, trickster god, you just are misspelling their words in your mind.

....was that why my ears were ringing?

I'll show up next time, promise.

(04-03-2020, 05:00 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 01:24 PM)Jags Wrote: Sounded more like they were summoning Stupid.

....was that why my ears were ringing?

You low key need to get on the ball!

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 05:56 PM by Jags.)

I’ve got two trivia annoyances to pop into my head.  Or at least one trivial and one potentially life threatening.  

1.  When you are backspacing on the phone a sentence, it’ll go letter by letter up until you’re about done and start taking the words out right before you were to stop.  This, leaving you with the previous sentence half deleted.  [BLEEP], what did I say there?

2. Stores have tape spaced 6 feet apart in the line for cashier.  I walk in Walgreens and there was no line.  Walk up to register and [BLEEP] behind me decides he doesn’t need to heed the warning.  I had just finished my landscaping and promised my daughter a Kit Kat to share.  Stay the [BLEEP] back! I should have just started coughing in his direction.  Corona virus or not, I don’t want you up my [BLEEP].  Dude was lucky I had my daughter on my mind and in a “happy” place.  He had a nice clothes on, probably drove the nice Benz I saw outside.  The sweaty lawn guy with minimal college covered in dust/dirt and war wounds from the day should have pointed out to this [BLEEP] clown how to [BLEEP] read.  Ugh.  Somebody with a hazmat suit hold me back!

Ok.  Thanks for this thread.  I’m done.

(04-03-2020, 05:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 05:00 PM)Mikey Wrote: ....was that why my ears were ringing?

You low key need to get on the ball!

Lol, because these guys never had something on the down low or under wraps.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Publix today. Coke 12 packs listed at 3 for $12.

Limit of two 12 packs!

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-04-2020, 09:57 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: Publix today. Coke 12 packs listed at 3 for $12.

Limit of two 12 packs!

So $8

(04-04-2020, 11:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 09:57 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: Publix today. Coke 12 packs listed at 3 for $12.

Limit of two 12 packs!

So $8

Yes, but they weren't marked $4 per, they were marked 3 for $12 (sale price!). And no warning sign in the soda aisle. I wasn't the only one taking 3 12-packs to the register only to have one confiscated for being "over the limit."

In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal. Fortunately my back isn't bad enough that lifting the 3rd 12 pack from the bottom shelf did any damage.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Why are they limiting Coke products? There's no shortage.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-04-2020, 09:52 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 11:30 AM)Sneakers Wrote: So $8

Yes, but they weren't marked $4 per, they were marked 3 for $12 (sale price!). And no warning sign in the soda aisle. I wasn't the only one taking 3 12-packs to the register only to have one confiscated for being "over the limit."

In the grand scheme of things it's no big deal. Fortunately my back isn't bad enough that lifting the 3rd 12 pack from the bottom shelf did any damage.

Even more annoying is when you get home and look at the register tape to find out that you paid $5.99 for each 12 pack b/c you didn't buy the 3 and get the $12 rate.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Just take your kid (daughter, 5 years old?) with you.  Strap her in next to you on a stand-up, zero-turn, crank the throttle wide open and take on a lawn full of landscaping obstacles.  Better than the go-carts at Adventure Landing and you get work done!

(04-05-2020, 10:21 AM)Sneakers Wrote:

Just take your kid (daughter, 5 years old?) with you.  Strap her in next to you on a stand-up, zero-turn, crank the throttle wide open and take on a lawn full of landscaping obstacles.  Better than the go-carts at Adventure Landing and you get work done!

She would love to go for a ride on the mowers.  I must admit, it is pretty fun on a wide open and smooth lawn.   But on this particular job, I have to unload all the fun stuff to make room for the sod, mulch and pine straw.