Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

(03-30-2020, 02:50 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 02:11 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I've never shorted anything.  I just don't have the experience to do it so I would say that I'm more "chicken hearted" than you.

To be quite honest when I heard The President announce the April 30th date during his press conference yesterday I expected today to be a down day as well.  I'm not sure what to make of it, but in the financial news today it was speculated that at least a hard, firm official date backed by the medical experts in the administration's task force might have had the opposite effect from what I was thinking.  The other thing that was pointed out was the fact that this is the close of Q1 and the start of Q2.

As I said before I want to see how things go this week before I make any moves.

They have ETFs that short for you. They basically mirror one of the indexes. Or inverse them at a factor of 2 or 3. Risky, but you can make nice money day trading in a down market using them. 

My "guru" says we're seeing this because all the scared money (like me) is on the sidelines waiting to call the bottom. The rest are averaging down. Makes sense.

I don't day trade I normally invest for the long term.  Just my opinion, but I think day trading is risky and is pretty much "gambling" more than investing.  I realize that there are a few day traders that are successful, but in my opinion it's just too risky.

I'll take my short term loss in my position on Boeing right now and hold off for the long term eventual gain that I'm hoping will happen.  The same could be said about my position buying Micro$soft.  I ended up buying a bit too late, but at the moment it's doing quite well and I imagine by the end of the year I will have some nice gains.

On another note, if you would have asked me yesterday if the market was going to be up or down I would have leaned towards a down market.  The DOW being up over 400 points or above 2% certainly caught me off guard.  This is coming in during the last hour of trading.

What I like to see is the fact that we didn't see any wild swings and it appears that we will end up in the positive.  This week should be interesting.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This chart has to be upsetting to the anti-Trumpers.

[Image: 1JSeRyG.jpg]

(03-31-2020, 08:40 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: This chart has to be upsetting to the anti-Trumpers.

Well, no one can really expect the Deplorables to understand that Coronavirus is all Trump's fault. They are just flyover State rubes after all.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 02:33 PM by The Real Marty.)

Carnival stock!   Only $8!

Who was it that was so anxious to buy Carnival at $17?

(04-02-2020, 02:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Carnival stock!   Only $8!

Who was it that was so anxious to buy Carnival at $17?

Me! I want it!

Curious if they can stay afloat (pun intended) with no government help coming their way. Wonder if the government of the country they are registered in will help them out.

(03-31-2020, 08:40 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: This chart has to be upsetting to the anti-Trumpers.

I think it's just upsetting in general.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

It's been a good news/bad news day for me as far as my positions.  On one hand my initial buy-in of Micro$oft and a tech ETF are both holding well and are still positive for me.  On the other hand Boeing fell all the way back to around $122 today (my target buy-in was $150 and I missed it on the way up.  I bought in at $162).  I'm not too concerned about the Boeing position though because I feel that the company will eventually turn back around and go back up plus I'm in it for the long term.  Besides that I am not in really big (100 shares) and I might do sort of a "dollar cost averaging" thing and acquire some more shares depending on how it does into next week.  So far it doesn't appear to be in danger of testing it's low of $88.  I have only held the stock for around a week so there is no need for me to do anything at the moment.

I personally would not buy anything else travel related (cruise lines, hotels or airlines) unless I intended to hold it for a very long term.  My reasoning for Boeing is they are one of perhaps two major airplane builders and their customers are not only airlines, but many governments (military aircraft).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-02-2020, 03:37 PM)Gabe Wrote:

I think it's just upsetting in general.

Okay, I'll bite.  What is upsetting in general about it?

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM by Gabe.)

(04-02-2020, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 03:37 PM)Gabe Wrote: I think it's just upsetting in general.

Okay, I'll bite.  What is upsetting in general about it?

For me, it's upsetting because of the obvious (dow performance) but primarily upsetting because this entire situation was not necessarily wholly avoidable, but definitely could have been mitigated early on - preventing the fallout we're collectively experiencing. This goes into my earlier posts (about a week to two weeks ago) that are critical of this administration's very lax approach at a) containing COVID-19 and b) combating it - while taking a month to downplay its seriousness. I don't lay the blame at Trump's feet for COVID-19, but this was a top-down failure at controlling a controllable situation - despite claims otherwise. 

However, given those things and the now mind-boggling 6.5m unemployment claims, approval ratings remain in the 40s. Not going to point out which way RCP leans in its approach to data aggregation, but rather it's upsetting to me that leadership approval ratings predictably jump in general during times of crisis - more of a snapshot of the range of general critical thought in this country.

That's why I view it as upsetting, JIB. Not because I'm an anti-trumper. You recently asserted that I was sensible. I think that I am as well, but probably am not as much as I should be. Even so, I try to give benefit of the doubt as much as possible. I've put a lot of critical thought into this situation, especially with it directly affecting my family (physically as well as financially).

(04-02-2020, 04:08 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Okay, I'll bite.  What is upsetting in general about it?

For me, it's upsetting because of the obvious (dow performance) but primarily upsetting because this entire situation was not necessarily wholly avoidable, but definitely could have been mitigated early on - preventing the fallout in which we are all experiencing. This goes into my earlier posts (about a week to two weeks ago) that are critical of this administration's very lax approach at a) containing COVID-19 and b) combating it - while taking a month to downplay its seriousness. I don't lay the blame at Trump's feet for COVID-19, but this was a top-down failure at controlling a controllable situation - despite claims otherwise. 

However, given those things and the now mind-boggling 6.5m unemployment claims, approval ratings remain in the 40s. Not going to point out which way RCP leans in its approach to data aggregation, but more in the sense that it's upsetting in that leadership approval ratings predictably jump in general during times of crisis - more of a snapshot of the range of general critical thought in this country.

That's why I view it as upsetting, JIB. Not because I'm an anti-trumper. You recently asserted that I was sensible. I like to think that I am, but probably am not as much as I think I'd like to think I am. Even so, I try to give benefit of the doubt as much as possible. I've put a lot of critical thought into this situation, especially with it directly affecting my family (physically as well as financially).

This situation was avoidable, but at the expense of the president being called a racist and xenophobe.

(04-02-2020, 04:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 04:08 PM)Gabe Wrote: For me, it's upsetting because of the obvious (dow performance) but primarily upsetting because this entire situation was not necessarily wholly avoidable, but definitely could have been mitigated early on - preventing the fallout in which we are all experiencing. This goes into my earlier posts (about a week to two weeks ago) that are critical of this administration's very lax approach at a) containing COVID-19 and b) combating it - while taking a month to downplay its seriousness. I don't lay the blame at Trump's feet for COVID-19, but this was a top-down failure at controlling a controllable situation - despite claims otherwise. 

However, given those things and the now mind-boggling 6.5m unemployment claims, approval ratings remain in the 40s. Not going to point out which way RCP leans in its approach to data aggregation, but more in the sense that it's upsetting in that leadership approval ratings predictably jump in general during times of crisis - more of a snapshot of the range of general critical thought in this country.

That's why I view it as upsetting, JIB. Not because I'm an anti-trumper. You recently asserted that I was sensible. I like to think that I am, but probably am not as much as I think I'd like to think I am. Even so, I try to give benefit of the doubt as much as possible. I've put a lot of critical thought into this situation, especially with it directly affecting my family (physically as well as financially).

This situation was avoidable, but at the expense of the president being called a racist and xenophobe.

There's more to see in the deep end of the pool, SC. You should venture over sometime.

(04-02-2020, 04:08 PM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Okay, I'll bite.  What is upsetting in general about it?

For me, it's upsetting because of the obvious (dow performance) but primarily upsetting because this entire situation was not necessarily wholly avoidable, but definitely could have been mitigated early on - preventing the fallout in which we are all experiencing. This goes into my earlier posts (about a week to two weeks ago) that are critical of this administration's very lax approach at a) containing COVID-19 and b) combating it - while taking a month to downplay its seriousness. I don't lay the blame at Trump's feet for COVID-19, but this was a top-down failure at controlling a controllable situation - despite claims otherwise. 

First and foremost I didn't intend to come across as hostile.  I understand that we my not have the same political viewpoint, and I certainly meant it when I expressed that you seem to be sensible (assuming you are on the other side of the political aisle from me).

As far as the President's handling of the situation I must disagree.  I think that he has done a very fine job handling a very tough and difficult situation.  Remember, he not only has to deal with this he also has to deal with the multitude of other world events at the same time.  I also disagree that it was a "controllable situation".

The task force assembled by the President is top notch and is being led by a very capable person (Vice President Pence).  They have much more data and information than the general public has and the President has taken their advice.  Some people may think that he "downplayed" the seriousness of what we are going through while others of us perceive it as him trying to maintain calm and order.

The anger by people both left and right should be directed at Congress and the media.

I agree with you regarding the DOW and the stock market in general.  Our economy has been brought to a halt when we were seeing record gains and lots of prosperity.  What saddens me the most is that many businesses and a majority of them small businesses may not come back from this.  I feel for the workers who suddenly are without a job and may fall on hard times.

I would write so much more but I don't want to bore everyone (which I've probably already done).  On a last note I do hope that you and your bride are doing well.

We will get through this and beat it.  After all we are all Americans.

(04-02-2020, 04:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 04:08 PM)Gabe Wrote: For me, it's upsetting because of the obvious (dow performance) but primarily upsetting because this entire situation was not necessarily wholly avoidable, but definitely could have been mitigated early on - preventing the fallout in which we are all experiencing. This goes into my earlier posts (about a week to two weeks ago) that are critical of this administration's very lax approach at a) containing COVID-19 and b) combating it - while taking a month to downplay its seriousness. I don't lay the blame at Trump's feet for COVID-19, but this was a top-down failure at controlling a controllable situation - despite claims otherwise. 

First and foremost I didn't intend to come across as hostile.  I understand that we my not have the same political viewpoint, and I certainly meant it when I expressed that you seem to be sensible (assuming you are on the other side of the political aisle from me).

As far as the President's handling of the situation I must disagree.  I think that he has done a very fine job handling a very tough and difficult situation.  Remember, he not only has to deal with this he also has to deal with the multitude of other world events at the same time.  I also disagree that it was a "controllable situation".

The task force assembled by the President is top notch and is being led by a very capable person (Vice President Pence).  They have much more data and information than the general public has and the President has taken their advice.  Some people may think that he "downplayed" the seriousness of what we are going through while others of us perceive it as him trying to maintain calm and order.

The anger by people both left and right should be directed at Congress and the media.

I agree with you regarding the DOW and the stock market in general.  Our economy has been brought to a halt when we were seeing record gains and lots of prosperity.  What saddens me the most is that many businesses and a majority of them small businesses may not come back from this.  I feel for the workers who suddenly are without a job and may fall on hard times.

I would write so much more but I don't want to bore everyone (which I've probably already done).  On a last note I do hope that you and your bride are doing well.

This is so refreshing to see in a sea of toxic, tribalistic hatred for the "other side" regardless of what letter represents your views/beliefs. Clearly some people have gotten a high off of this charged political environment and let it fuel the flames with their unilateral statements, but I digress.

Unfortunately, I think that sense of collectivism/unity has been lost at the end of the day - and this division clearly weakens who we are as a nation (much to the liking of our adversaries).

United we stand, divided we fall.

(04-02-2020, 05:07 PM)enigma Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 04:42 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: First and foremost I didn't intend to come across as hostile.  I understand that we my not have the same political viewpoint, and I certainly meant it when I expressed that you seem to be sensible (assuming you are on the other side of the political aisle from me).

This is so refreshing to see in a sea of toxic, tribalistic hatred for the "other side" regardless of what letter represents your views/beliefs. Clearly some people have gotten a high off of this charged political environment and let it fuel the flames with their unilateral statements, but I digress.

Unfortunately, I think that sense of collectivism/unity has been lost at the end of the day - and this division clearly weakens who we are as a nation (much to the liking of our adversaries).

That lack of the sense of community is the intended end result of the "Our diversity is our strength" Bull [BLEEP] that's been pedaled  by the left for years. When we constantly emphasize, encourage, and promote our differences eventually we end up without any commonalities.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-02-2020, 07:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 05:07 PM)enigma Wrote: This is so refreshing to see in a sea of toxic, tribalistic hatred for the "other side" regardless of what letter represents your views/beliefs. Clearly some people have gotten a high off of this charged political environment and let it fuel the flames with their unilateral statements, but I digress.

That lack of the sense of community is the intended end result of the "Our diversity is our strength" Bull [BLEEP] that's been pedaled  by the left for years. When we constantly emphasize, encourage, and promote our differences eventually we end up without any commonalities.

Ehh, I understand the point you are making but I disagree with that sentiment because if that was the case, what's going to stop us from eventually becoming a totalitarian society/regime.

I think that being able to approach differing ideas, philosophies, cultures, lifestyles, etc with an open mind is what lends us our greatest attributes not only as a country but as individuals.

There is a reason why this country is the GREATEST country on Earth and why people leave everything they have to even have a chance to be part of the American dream - of which the foundation was built upon life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And this is all regardless of one's background, skin color, religion, gender, etc.

I also think that the dirty side of politics has been weaponized more outwardly and very effectively on BOTH sides for at least the past 10 years - and its unfortunate that it has become tribalistic and ultimately cannibalistic to our nation.

(04-02-2020, 11:25 PM)enigma Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 07:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That lack of the sense of community is the intended end result of the "Our diversity is our strength" Bull [BLEEP] that's been pedaled  by the left for years. When we constantly emphasize, encourage, and promote our differences eventually we end up without any commonalities.

Ehh, I understand the point you are making but  I disagree with that sentiment because if that was the case, what's going to stop us from eventually becoming a totalitarian society/regime.

I think that being able to approach differing ideas, philosophies, cultures, lifestyles, etc with an open mind is what lends us our greatest attributes not only as a country but as individuals.

There is a reason why this country is the GREATEST country on Earth and why people leave everything they have to even have a chance to be part of the American dream - of which the foundation was built upon life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And this is all regardless of one's background, skin color, religion, gender, etc.

I also think that the dirty side of politics has been weaponized more outwardly and very effectively on BOTH sides for at least the past 10 years - and its unfortunate that it has become tribalistic and ultimately cannibalistic to our nation.

America is a melting pot, we can be open without treating those other philosophies and cultures as superior to ours. We are the greatest, but we are constantly under barrage to transform America to a different worldview by the left and progressives. Your first sentence is the ultimate unspoken intention of the Diversity movement.

(04-02-2020, 07:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 05:07 PM)enigma Wrote: This is so refreshing to see in a sea of toxic, tribalistic hatred for the "other side" regardless of what letter represents your views/beliefs. Clearly some people have gotten a high off of this charged political environment and let it fuel the flames with their unilateral statements, but I digress.

That's one whopper of a world view, FSG comrade.

(04-03-2020, 10:06 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 07:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That lack of the sense of community is the intended end result of the "Our diversity is our strength" Bull [BLEEP] that's been pedaled  by the left for years. When we constantly emphasize, encourage, and promote our differences eventually we end up without any commonalities.

That's one whopper of a world view, FSG comrade.

There's a reason why we're in this mess and it ain't American Exceptionalism.

Okay, back to the stock market.

I am still thinking the stock market has not yet priced in the depth and duration of the oncoming recession. I think it will be deep and long, and earnings will be severely reduced, and I think there's a better than even chance we are in for a bear market that lasts for several years.

(04-03-2020, 10:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Okay, back to the stock market.

I am still thinking the stock market has not yet priced in the depth and duration of the oncoming recession.  I think it will be deep and long, and earnings will be severely reduced, and I think there's a better than even chance we are in for a bear market that lasts for several years.

I think the recession will end sometime around July 4th with a near full recovery by the time Trump gives his Inauguration speech in January.