Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(04-06-2020, 10:43 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 10:36 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: How are you and the wife now? When will you be declared officially ‘recovered’?

HB, thanks for asking. We're still in "recovery" - as it relates to the Duval Co Health Dept. Required an initial 7 days of isolation (from the date of confirmation), followed by 14 consecutive days of quarantine with no symptoms. Not really too much of a difference in what we were doing previously. 

It is weird experiencing a random cough or sneeze and waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. But otherwise, we've been symptom free since the morning of the 16th

Symptom free is always best, given the alternatives. Do you require testing to confirm recovery, or does the quarantine period satisfy that? So many questions. I'm just curious as to how the whole process plays out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-06-2020, 10:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 10:43 AM)Gabe Wrote: HB, thanks for asking. We're still in "recovery" - as it relates to the Duval Co Health Dept. Required an initial 7 days of isolation (from the date of confirmation), followed by 14 consecutive days of quarantine with no symptoms. Not really too much of a difference in what we were doing previously. 

It is weird experiencing a random cough or sneeze and waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. But otherwise, we've been symptom free since the morning of the 16th

Symptom free is always best, given the alternatives. Do you require testing to confirm recovery, or does the quarantine period satisfy that? So many questions. I'm just curious as to how the whole process plays out.

Same with us - we were wondering how that was construed. Officially labeled as recover-in-home as suggested by our PCP - mainly because we've been symptom free. I'm not officially positive, just presumptive positive. Duval told us that we can consider ourselves recovered w/no need for re-testing if zero symptoms after 14 consecutive days...but only after the initial 7 isolation days following notification. That was on the 30th, so today would be day one of the 14-day period. Because I've been asymptomatic, they told me that I could request a test if I wanted, but should just wait until I get symptoms. As it stands, I'm just assuming I had it and beat it down in my sleep. It's hard for me to believe that I never contracted it at all. Our worry was when she originally got it. My last official day in-office was the 16th and have been in-home ever since. I just worry that I may have unintentionally passed it along during the first two weeks of March. I was being careful and didn't have interaction beyond my co-workers, but barely any touch interaction.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(04-06-2020, 10:56 AM)Gabe Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 10:49 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Symptom free is always best, given the alternatives. Do you require testing to confirm recovery, or does the quarantine period satisfy that? So many questions. I'm just curious as to how the whole process plays out.

Same with us - we were wondering how that was construed. Officially labeled as recover-in-home as suggested by our PCP - mainly because we've been symptom free. I'm not officially positive, just presumptive positive. Duval told us that we can consider ourselves recovered w/no need for re-testing if zero symptoms after 14 consecutive days...but only after the initial 7 isolation days following notification. That was on the 30th, so today would be day one of the 14-day period. Because I've been asymptomatic, they told me that I could request a test if I wanted, but should just wait until I get symptoms. As it stands, I'm just assuming I had it and beat it down in my sleep. It's hard for me to believe that I never contracted it at all. Our worry was when she originally got it. My last official day in-office was the 16th and have been in-home ever since. I just worry that I may have unintentionally passed it along during the first two weeks of March. I was being careful and didn't have interaction beyond my co-workers, but barely any touch interaction.

I'm glad you're both doing ok. One issue is that for many the associated fever is present but doesn't get high enough for them to notice, and most of the other symptoms are so similar to pollen season that we can't tell the difference. I'm on Claritin for about 12 weeks this time of year anyway, so a cough, sneezing, and not feeling all that good are an annual occurrence and I would have to be really sick to even notice a difference. That's one issue with the record keeping on this, there's a lot of similar illness that's not COVID-19 present in the population right now, and our officials are definitely overstating the deaths from COVID in the official counts.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-06-2020, 10:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 10:15 AM)EricC85 Wrote: Yea I’m not looking for the doctors to make economic policy I think Fauci has done an incredible job of being honest and upfront on what we have to do from a medical standpoint to stop this virus. I’m concerned that so many on the right are looking to down play the threat of a global pandemic to build an argument of over reaction. It’s a bad virus with no cure and is highly contagious even with heavy mitigation never done before you have more infected and dead than the entire year of swine flu my God imagine if we didn’t take the mitigation moves how bad it would be?

Economies can be rebuilt lives can’t be resurrected it’s that simple.

What is your current employment status? Just curious.

I’m employed but working under reduced salary and had to roll back almost all of my staff to 32 hours. It’s effecting me financially not as bad as others. I get it the economy is hurting but the focus is on ending a pandemic right now.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(04-06-2020, 08:26 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 05:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Fauci is not shutting down the country.  Trump is.  Why are you not blaming Trump?  By blaming Fauci, aren't you implying that Trump is too stupid to make a correct decision?  Is Trump such a weak-minded person that he is allowing Fauci to make all the decisions?  

Whatever happened to "The buck stops here?"

I feel Fauci's effectiveness has run its course. Trump needs a doctor (young) who can balance the permanent impact their decisions are having on the economy. Not to mention his blatant reluctance to promote a CHEAP treatment that doctors are prescribing and is said to be helping. Combine that with his newfound fame and doing podcasts with Steph Curry, and apparently being in the pocket of the Bill Gates foundation, his effectiveness has run its course and its time to find a new guy.

Again, just my opinion.

I understand what Fauci is doing in pushing the worst case scenario, but the guy is wrong every time so far. Now NYC is peaking Thursday, not 2 weeks from now. The rest of the US doesn't have a lot of deaths, so there is no way the US goes past a normal flu season. Him doing interviews and commercials is stupid. He really does nothing and even the modeling I doubt he understands it or knows what is going into it. He isn't in the details and isn't getting details from low enough people to get any real info.

It's really simple to get medical info about patients, preexisting conditions, and treatments they are being given. Put that into AI models and let it determine the best treatments. Some talking head without data isn't going to find a great treatment.

Here's another encouraging plot:

Graph on Lower Left

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020, 01:41 PM by EricC85.)

(04-06-2020, 01:01 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I understand what Fauci is doing in pushing the worst case scenario, but the guy is wrong every time so far. Now NYC is peaking Thursday, not 2 weeks from now. The rest of the US doesn't have a lot of deaths, so there is no way the US goes past a normal flu season. Him doing interviews and commercials is stupid. He really does nothing and even the modeling I doubt he understands it or knows what is going into it. He isn't in the details and isn't getting details from low enough people to get any real info.

It's really simple to get medical info about patients, preexisting conditions, and treatments they are being given. Put that into AI models and let it determine the best treatments. Some talking head without data isn't going to find a great treatment.

Why do you say New York is peaking now?

Great article points out both sides under played this virus at the start a point dragonfury linked video pointed out many personalities on the right being completely off

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/c...ed-threat/

(04-06-2020, 01:37 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Here's another encouraging plot:

Graph on Lower Left

You're right, but I'd be careful with data pulled across the weekend. I still maintain that the best models are still over stating the case numbers.

On that note, the IMHE model now projects total death in the USA at ~81,700 down from ~93,000 as recently as yesterday. So more good news!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Great article points out both sides under played this virus at the start a point dragonfury linked video pointed out many personalities on the right being completely off

One the one hand, you have a few pundits at the New York Times, and on the other hand, you have the President of the United States, with the world's best intelligence services and the world's leading medical experts working in his administration.  The question isn't whether a few pundits in the New York Times weren't sufficiently aware of the threat.  The question is, was the President of the United States, who is charged with protecting the citizens of the country, ignoring his own medical experts and intelligence agencies. 

The article tries to draw some equivalence, but there really is no equivalence.  There's no reason a pundit at the New York Times named Farhad Manjoo would have had the kind of information the President should have had.

Anybody experience any break in's yet? My neighborhood had a rash of car break in's last week. Heard about a few more up in the Heckscher Dr. area today as well. Pretty frustrating. Getting a camera system installed ASAP when I don't have to sit here and work remotely from home. Hopefully by Friday for my driveway at least.

Debating on picking up a 12 gauge next paycheck. At some point one of these morons I would assume gets tired of only finding crumbs in between car seats and has a low enough I.Q to actually try and break into our house. We live in crackerjack housing at least. So it would be risky nonetheless trying to pull that off in this community.

But I feel frustrated after that news. Especially with my wife expected to go into labor any minute. Would rather be prepared than caught with my pants down. Know what I mean?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-06-2020, 02:57 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 02:22 PM)EricC85 Wrote: Great article points out both sides under played this virus at the start a point dragonfury linked video pointed out many personalities on the right being completely off

One the one hand, you have a few pundits at the New York Times, and on the other hand, you have the President of the United States, with the world's best intelligence services and the world's leading medical experts working in his administration.  The question isn't whether a few pundits in the New York Times weren't sufficiently aware of the threat.  The question is, was the President of the United States, who is charged with protecting the citizens of the country, ignoring his own medical experts and intelligence agencies. 

The article tries to draw some equivalence, but there really is no equivalence.  There's no reason a pundit at the New York Times named Farhad Manjoo would have had the kind of information the President should have had.

R u paying attention?

(04-06-2020, 02:57 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I’ll accept an argument that Trump has spoken like this isn’t a big deal but his actions have all been spot on. Trump closed the borders and established the initial 15 day now 30 day stay at home order, he’s begrudgingly but consistently followed the advice laid out by the cdc and doctors advising him. 

Has he gone off the wall on some of his briefings, yes. Did he speak about this possibly just being a flu in the begging, yes. Has he ignored any steps laid out as options, not that I'm aware of. I don’t have any problem with this administrations actions to date. I was referring to the point in DF linked video showing many conservative pundits being very wrong about this virus. That article to me articulated the points that also many left wing pundits under played this virus at the start.

Is this thing caught everyone with their pants down.

(04-06-2020, 01:38 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 01:01 PM)p_rushing Wrote: I understand what Fauci is doing in pushing the worst case scenario, but the guy is wrong every time so far. Now NYC is peaking Thursday, not 2 weeks from now. The rest of the US doesn't have a lot of deaths, so there is no way the US goes past a normal flu season. Him doing interviews and commercials is stupid. He really does nothing and even the modeling I doubt he understands it or knows what is going into it. He isn't in the details and isn't getting details from low enough people to get any real info.

Why do you say New York is peaking now?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Also per Cuomo
https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/cuomo-new-...eaths-dip/

Boris Johnson in intensive care.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020, 03:34 PM by jj82284.)

(04-06-2020, 03:29 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Boris Johnson in intensive care.

Wow...

(04-06-2020, 02:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 01:37 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Here's another encouraging plot:

Graph on Lower Left

You're right, but I'd be careful with data pulled across the weekend. I still maintain that the best models are still over stating the case numbers.

On that note, the IMHE model now projects total death in the USA at ~81,700 down from ~93,000 as recently as yesterday. So more good news!
IMHE model still dropping...https://www.dailywire.com/news/influenti...=dwtwitter
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(04-06-2020, 02:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Anybody experience any break in's yet? My neighborhood had a rash of car break in's last week. Heard about a few more up in the Heckscher Dr. area today as well. Pretty frustrating. Getting a camera system installed ASAP when I don't have to sit here and work remotely from home. Hopefully by Friday for my driveway at least.

Debating on picking up a 12 gauge next paycheck. At some point one of these morons I would assume gets tired of only finding crumbs in between car seats and has a low enough I.Q to actually try and break into our house. We live in crackerjack housing at least. So it would be risky nonetheless trying to pull that off in this community.

But I feel frustrated after that news. Especially with my wife expected to go into labor any minute. Would rather be prepared than caught with my pants down. Know what I mean?

I have been prepared for many years.  I do have several platforms for home protection.  In 12 gauge I really like the Mossberg Maverick.  I have one.  It's a simple basic home defense firearm available with a traditional stock or a pistol grip.  For the price I think it's good value.

Fortunately our neighborhood is kind of "off the beaten path" and many of the residents are retired folks that watch out for one another.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(04-06-2020, 08:26 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-06-2020, 05:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Fauci is not shutting down the country.  Trump is.  Why are you not blaming Trump?  By blaming Fauci, aren't you implying that Trump is too stupid to make a correct decision?  Is Trump such a weak-minded person that he is allowing Fauci to make all the decisions?  

Whatever happened to "The buck stops here?"

I feel Fauci's effectiveness has run its course. Trump needs a doctor (young) who can balance the permanent impact their decisions are having on the economy. Not to mention his blatant reluctance to promote a CHEAP treatment that doctors are prescribing and is said to be helping. Combine that with his newfound fame and doing podcasts with Steph Curry, and apparently being in the pocket of the Bill Gates foundation, his effectiveness has run its course and its time to find a new guy.

Again, just my opinion.

Oh please.  Dr Fauci's job is not to "balance the permanent impact of his decisions on the economy" vs. his professional medical opinion.  His reluctance to promote any kind of treatment is his professional opinion based on proper clinical testing.

Also, the age of his adviser (doctor) has nothing to do with it.  You are sounding like a far left democrat saying that the President needs a "young" doctor on his team.  What's next?  The doctor must be female?  Must be a minority?  Must be gay?

Your comment is no better than the thoughts of those on the far left.

As you said it's just your opinion, but you know what they say about opinions...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020, 04:12 PM by Jags.)

(04-06-2020, 02:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Anybody experience any break in's yet? My neighborhood had a rash of car break in's last week. Heard about a few more up in the Heckscher Dr. area today as well. Pretty frustrating. Getting a camera system installed ASAP when I don't have to sit here and work remotely from home. Hopefully by Friday for my driveway at least.

I had cameras installed after similar circumstances.  IMO, firearms are great as long as you know how to properly use them.  But I wouldn’t be running outside with it trying to stop someone.  Now, if they come inside...different story.  

I recommend taking the security signs down and replacing it with a sign for the car and house that says “please stay away, positive Covid-19 patient”

I think that’ll keep ‘em away! Smile