Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(05-07-2020, 05:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I was once concerned when I had mild symptoms.  At the time (when the outbreak was starting) I had "symptoms" related to the virus.  I don't know if I had it or not, but at the time I was concerned NOT scared.  I am in my 50's and in reasonably good health, so the chances of me succumbing to the virus is pretty much minimal.

With that being said, we know much more now than we did in the beginning of March.  The virus is NOT a plague.  If you get it  it's not an immediate "death sentence".  In fact, in my opinion it's probably better for healthy people to get it and get over it.  Sheltering in our homes does not "stop" it, it only slows the spread.  The more people that "get it" and get over it the more people that there are that are immune to it.

The reason for "sheltering in place" was to SLOW the spread and not overwhelm hospitals.  At the time orders were placed it was the right thing to do because we had no idea how bad this could be.  However, in places it has been proven that the need to do such a thing is not necessary.  Right here in Jacksonville hospitals are operating at 25% or less capacity.

In my opinion people that are not in a "high risk" group should go about their lives and go about business.  People in a high risk group should probably take the extra precautions.

Did you get my PM?

I agree with what you've said.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 07:51 PM by Jags.)

I know I have a track record here of not saying a damn thing serious, so take this fwiw.   My brother is a major in the army.  In an area (FA52) that is classified.  He is somehow now at the Javits Center.  Been there for a bit now replacing someone that got it.  He and a Lt Col went out there.   He can’t talk about what he does.  My first thought was we’re gonna nuke Corinna!!!!   But from what little he can say, seems more of a political thing more than anything.  Says the same thing as been said here.  Healthy people will be fine, many asymptomatic and some non healthy paying dearly.  And he may have to leave for NM or WA for his “day” job doing nuclear [BLEEP] depending on what happens ina few weeks.   Not quite getting the impression that some sources are telling us quite the “truth”.   Take it for what you will.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 06:20 AM by jj82284.)

In a stunning development, researchers have found strong evidence that vitamin D may be good for you.

In other news, Andrew Cuomo thanked out of state healthcare workers, who risked their lives to help save his state, with the promise of income tax bills for their time.

Good to know about the Vitamin D deficiency in severe CV19 patients
My D3 levels were low last year so I'm on prescription Vitamin D3 50,000 UI
Levels were normal the last time we checked.

(05-08-2020, 07:06 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: Good to know about the Vitamin D deficiency in severe CV19 patients
My D3 levels were low last year so I'm on prescription Vitamin D3 50,000 UI
Levels were normal the last time we checked.

That dosage seems high, are you sure you haven't added an extra zero? The RDA is 400 IU, and most supplements are 1000-2000 IU.

I'm now taking 4000 IU plus what's in my multivitamin (and what I get from sunshine). I started the D3 supplements Monday after reading about that.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

The Blue Angel's fly by made me feel stronger.

Ive heard of prescriptions of 50,000 UI of vitamin D. But only when carefully monitored by physicians with a set schedule.

I've been doing vitamin D as well. Usually between 2,000-4,000 daily except when I've been out in the sun. Assume I don't need it in those cases.

(05-07-2020, 05:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The reason for "sheltering in place" was to SLOW the spread and not overwhelm hospitals.  At the time orders were placed it was the right thing to do because we had no idea how bad this could be.  However, in places it has been proven that the need to do such a thing is not necessary.  Right here in Jacksonville hospitals are operating at 25% or less capacity.

In my opinion people that are not in a "high risk" group should go about their lives and go about business.  People in a high risk group should probably take the extra precautions.

The goalposts seemed to have moved from "lockdown to flatten the curve to prevent hospitals from getting overwhelmed" to "lockdown to save every single life regardless of any negative societal consequences".

(05-08-2020, 12:03 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Ive heard of prescriptions of 50,000 UI of vitamin D.  But only when carefully monitored by physicians with a set schedule.  

I've been doing vitamin D as well.  Usually between 2,000-4,000 daily except when I've been out in the sun.  Assume I don't need it in those cases.

I only take it once a week, so it averages about 7000 IU per day

How many nursing home residents did President Cuomo murder?

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 12:51 PM by TJBender.)

(05-02-2020, 09:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: NEVER VOTE FOR EITHER MAIN PARTY!

ftfy. Vote third party. Tell all these idiots to eat [BLEEP].

(05-02-2020, 09:58 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Why did we initiate the lockdown?

Because officials at the state and local levels recognized the effectiveness of lockdowns in countries that had them vs. countries that didn't, and started deciding (regardless of party, for the most part) that keeping people in their own homes as much as possible would prevent the US from having its hospitals overrun by COVID-19 patients. Even Brian Kemp eventually got on board at risk of alienating the rural base that he will live and die by. The fat Cheeto in chief endorsed the measures for a while, and even went so far as to chastise one of his most loyal tools for reopening the state long before the numbers said it was safe to do so. So, the short answer is, "Because everyone except you mad tinfoil-hatters recognized that it was the best answer at the time." They did it, it worked. We're north of 60,000 deaths with the curve flattened out. Would you have preferred a higher number go just to prove your point? Whatever that point is?

(05-08-2020, 12:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: How many nursing home residents did President Cuomo murder?

You're coming unglued, man. Is the prospect of losing the fat Cheeto to Sleepy Joe in November keeping you awake at night?

(05-08-2020, 12:03 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Ive heard of prescriptions of 50,000 UI of vitamin D.  But only when carefully monitored by physicians with a set schedule.  

I've been doing vitamin D as well.  Usually between 2,000-4,000 daily except when I've been out in the sun.  Assume I don't need it in those cases.

(05-08-2020, 12:25 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: I only take it once a week, so it averages about 7000 IU per day

Yeah it can be that high for a weekly dose. I generally have low vitamin D levels, even if I'm in the sun. I also don't get much sun unless it's on the weekend. I think I take 3,000 per day and before upping the dosage I was having to get a large dosage for 1 month a year once the labs went back down.

I guess I need to buy another big bottle before supplies are gone now that reports say it helps.

(05-08-2020, 12:43 PM)TJBender Wrote:

Because officials at the state and local levels recognized the effectiveness of lockdowns in countries that had them vs. countries that didn't, and started deciding (regardless of party, for the most part) that keeping people in their own homes as much as possible would prevent the US from having its hospitals overrun by COVID-19 patients. Even Brian Kemp eventually got on board at risk of alienating the rural base that he will live and die by. The fat Cheeto in chief endorsed the measures for a while, and even went so far as to chastise one of his most loyal tools for reopening the state long before the numbers said it was safe to do so. So, the short answer is, "Because everyone except you mad tinfoil-hatters recognized that it was the best answer at the time." They did it, it worked. We're north of 60,000 deaths with the curve flattened out. Would you have preferred a higher number go just to prove your point? Whatever that point is?

(05-08-2020, 12:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: How many nursing home residents did President Cuomo murder?

You're coming unglued, man. Is the prospect of losing the fat Cheeto to Sleepy Joe in November keeping you awake at night?

You edited your post saying I was predictable. My response was that you saying I was predictable is predictable. 

Editing your response to someone before you think anyone sees it could fit in the realm of "unglued", no?

(05-08-2020, 12:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 12:43 PM)TJBender Wrote: ftfy. Vote third party. Tell all these idiots to eat [BLEEP].

You edited your post saying I was predictable. My response was that you saying I was predictable is predictable. 

Editing your response to someone before you think anyone sees it could fit in the realm of "unglued", no?

I looked at it again and thought it was an unfair comment, not intended in the way it would be taken, and changed it. Nothing unglued about recognizing that you were wrong.

(05-08-2020, 12:43 PM)TJBender Wrote:

Lol...   u mad bruh?

(05-08-2020, 01:04 PM)jj82284 Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 12:43 PM)TJBender Wrote: ftfy. Vote third party. Tell all these idiots to eat [BLEEP].

Lol...   u mad bruh?

You asked a stupid question, I gave a serious answer.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM by The Real Marty.)

So, in regards to those infamous beach pictures, I went to Jax beach today, and I can attest to the fact that if you look down the beach, it looks like a huge crowd and everyone close together.  I'm sure it would look even worse with a telephoto lens.  But I walked a long way in both directions and never came within 20 feet of anyone.  Everyone is very spread out. 

On the other hand, I went into a Publix and a Winn-Dixie today, and it's notable how many people are not wearing a mask and don't seem to be taking social distancing seriously.   I'd say in either store, maybe 1 out of 20 people was wearing a mask.  I wear a mask when I go to a store.

Fun fact: Antibody tests are available in Jax now - free Telescope visit with the app for all Duval Co. residents (at least it was for me, I had to enter a code). Downer-alert: you have to get blood taken at a Labcorp or Quest Diagnostics, which are just a step above the DMV in my opinion.

Interesting twist - had mine done and I tested negative for CV19 antibodies. I can only conclude that the cure is in my bloodstream.
I'll play you in ping pong. 

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 02:52 PM by homebiscuit.)

(05-08-2020, 02:33 PM)Gabe Wrote: Fun fact: Antibody tests are available in Jax now - free Telescope visit with the app for all Duval Co. residents (at least it was for me, I had to enter a code). Downer-alert: you have to get blood taken at a Labcorp or Quest Diagnostics, which are just a step above the DMV in my opinion.

Interesting twist - had mine done and I tested negative for CV19 antibodies. I can only conclude that the cure is in my bloodstream.

That's just weird.

"Doctors HATE him."

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2020, 03:20 PM by jj82284.)

(05-08-2020, 01:05 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 01:04 PM)jj82284 Wrote: Lol...   u mad bruh?

You asked a stupid question, I gave a serious answer.

No u didnt.

(05-08-2020, 01:55 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, in regards to those infamous beach pictures, I went to Jax beach today, and I can attest to the fact that if you look down the beach, it looks like a huge crowd and everyone close together.  I'm sure it would look even worse with a telephoto lens.  But I walked a long way in both directions and never came within 20 feet of anyone.  Everyone is very spread out. 

On the other hand, I went into a Publix and a Winn-Dixie today, and it's notable how many people are not wearing a mask and don't seem to be taking social distancing seriously.   I'd say in either store, maybe 1 out of 20 people was wearing a mask.  I wear a mask when I go to a store.

Taking seriously vs. Practical reality.