Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL apologizes for banning players protesting

(06-07-2020, 02:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 01:39 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I disagree. I'm not saying Kaepernick changed anything immediately by kneeling, but that act of protest started a conversation in America, albeit, as you say, by pissing many people off. But that conversation was started. The murder of George Floyd then brought the issue into a much sharper focus and, hopefully, will be remembered as a turning point in the battle for real equality in America.

I can honestly say I have heard nothing in the years between Kaep kneeling and George Floyds murder that was positive toward change or a national conversation that didn't include opinions. Opinions do nothing if not backed up by action.  

Granted, I live in small town North Carolina, I do not live or die by the news, and I am not the targeted demographic for any foundations his protesting inspired, so I wouldn't know anything other than what the clickbait headlines (of stories I didn't read because sensationalism is not the way to get my attention) were proclaiming when it was still hot in the news cycle. 

What makes anything Kaep tried to achieve different than what Floyd's death did achieve is everyone is listening now in ways they haven't before. I know I am. It's one thing to be a person not many of us can relate to, in this case an athlete who gets paid a butt ton of money to play a game and even more in product endorsements, protest in a way that made no sense to a majority of the country without context. It's quite another to watch a man die who was relatable because he was a regular person like the rest of us. And he didn't just die. He suffered and no one did a damn thing. I guarantee you Colin Kaepernick has never suffered as George Floyd did. 

People of all walks of life were horrified by what we saw. Not just the black community, not just the minority communities, not just the poor(er) communities, but from ALL communities. The emotional response has been completely different than in times past when a black man was killed by a cop. Kaep had nothing to do with it. In fact, he probably wasn't even a thought in people's minds until the media brought him up. He's not as crucial to this horrific story as people like to think.

Kaps influence is more in a sports activism context than the actual protests imo

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-07-2020, 02:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 01:39 AM)JagJohn Wrote: I disagree. I'm not saying Kaepernick changed anything immediately by kneeling, but that act of protest started a conversation in America, albeit, as you say, by pissing many people off. But that conversation was started. The murder of George Floyd then brought the issue into a much sharper focus and, hopefully, will be remembered as a turning point in the battle for real equality in America.

I can honestly say I have heard nothing in the years between Kaep kneeling and George Floyds murder that was positive toward change or a national conversation that didn't include opinions. Opinions do nothing if not backed up by action.  

Granted, I live in small town North Carolina, I do not live or die by the news, and I am not the targeted demographic for any foundations his protesting inspired, so I wouldn't know anything other than what the clickbait headlines (of stories I didn't read because sensationalism is not the way to get my attention) were proclaiming when it was still hot in the news cycle. 

What makes anything Kaep tried to achieve different than what Floyd's death did achieve is everyone is listening now in ways they haven't before. I know I am. It's one thing to be a person not many of us can relate to, in this case an athlete who gets paid a butt ton of money to play a game and even more in product endorsements, protest in a way that made no sense to a majority of the country without context. It's quite another to watch a man die who was relatable because he was a regular person like the rest of us. And he didn't just die. He suffered and no one did a damn thing. I guarantee you Colin Kaepernick has never suffered as George Floyd did. 

People of all walks of life were horrified by what we saw. Not just the black community, not just the minority communities, not just the poor(er) communities, but from ALL communities. The emotional response has been completely different than in times past when a black man was killed by a cop. Kaep had nothing to do with it. In fact, he probably wasn't even a thought in people's minds until the media brought him up. He's not as crucial to this horrific story as people like to think.

If I weren't already E-Married to Bchbunnie4 (I love that girl) I would "kneel", and propose. I probably suck at being able to articulate the way you just did. White does not equal racist. I wish we (white people) were given more credit, but chances are we will be vilified because of our skin color. As long as one white person is racist, we all will be racist. Horrible for all skin tones ... How do we convince each other we aren't an enemy?

(06-07-2020, 01:39 AM)JagJohn Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 11:34 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Dude, all kneeling did was piss people off and blackball Kaepernick.

What finally got people's attention was George Floyd dying for over 8 minutes for all the world to see. It has made people see this problem in a way that nothing else comes close to. 

Kaep and the others who kneeled did nothing to start the process, the brutal murder of a man did.

I disagree. I'm not saying Kaepernick changed anything immediately by kneeling, but that act of protest started a conversation in America, albeit, as you say, by pissing many people off. But that conversation was started. The murder of George Floyd then brought the issue into a much sharper focus and, hopefully, will be remembered as a turning point in the battle for real equality in America.

1.) Kaeps premise is flawed.  

2.) Still waiting for the evidence that this was racially motivated.  

3.) Still waiting for the evidence that Keith Ellison is a shill of the Alt right.

(06-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Sammy Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 02:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I can honestly say I have heard nothing in the years between Kaep kneeling and George Floyds murder that was positive toward change or a national conversation that didn't include opinions. Opinions do nothing if not backed up by action.  

If I weren't already E-Married to Bchbunnie4 (I love that girl) I would "kneel", and propose. I probably suck at being able to articulate the way you just did. White does not equal racist. I wish we (white people) were given more credit, but chances are we will be vilified because of our skin color. As long as one white person is racist, we all will be racist. Horrible for all skin tones ... How do we convince each other we aren't an enemy?

In regards to Kaep, you're right in as far as it's really not an important part of the conversation compared to the Floyd murder. The events of the last few weeks have really changed the whole discussion about many things, more so than any other thing that's happened in my memory.

At the risk of sounding like one of those condescending liberal douchebags, I think both of you are good people who want the best for all people in your country. The fact that you're now asking a few questions about things can only be a good thing. Sammy, I understand why the whole thing makes you sad. Race is an absurb concept in itself, and I fully agree that the terms white and black are so patently ridiculous, they reflect just how stupid racism is. Like I said before, just keep being you. I wish you all the best (except when it comes to football).

(06-07-2020, 02:42 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I can honestly say I have heard nothing in the years between Kaep kneeling and George Floyds murder that was positive toward change or a national conversation that didn't include opinions. Opinions do nothing if not backed up by action.  

How do you convince people? Umm it’s easy. Don’t be a terrible person.

I’m white and have never been accused of being racist. I teach children of all different races and socioeconomic status. I teach with other teachers of all races. Be kind and respectful. Fairly simple.

Stop making yourself out to be the victim here.

Love 

I don't try to convince anyone, I just listen. We won't learn anything from each other if we don't listen to what each other is saying. I believe for myself the fact that I don't see color when I see people is why I've heard and seen all kinds of things but I've never really listened. It's hard to understand a thing that is completely foreign to us. Unless we want to learn it's going to stay foreign. Most of us prefer to stay in our lane and not rock the boat because we've got enough on our plates. 

And that's the problem. The boat needs to be rocked. 

At the very basic level it's like this: White folks don't understand the issues of the black community because we don't experience them. Black folks don't seem to understand why we don't understand. If I'm wrong someone can correct me. It is a lot deeper than that but you have to start somewhere. The point is to start. Everything else will fall into place if BOTH sides can come to the table and listen and learn.

(06-07-2020, 09:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Sammy Wrote: If I weren't already E-Married to Bchbunnie4 (I love that girl) I would "kneel", and propose. I probably suck at being able to articulate the way you just did. White does not equal racist. I wish we (white people) were given more credit, but chances are we will be vilified because of our skin color. As long as one white person is racist, we all will be racist. Horrible for all skin tones ... How do we convince each other we aren't an enemy?

Love 

I don't try to convince anyone, I just listen. We won't learn anything from each other if we don't listen to what each other is saying. I believe for myself the fact that I don't see color when I see people is why I've heard and seen all kinds of things but I've never really listened. It's hard to understand a thing that is completely foreign to us. Unless we want to learn it's going to stay foreign. Most of us prefer to stay in our lane and not rock the boat because we've got enough on our plates. 

At the very basic level it's like this: White folks don't understand the issues of the black community because we don't experience them. Black folks don't seem to understand why we don't understand. If I'm wrong someone can correct me. It is a lot deeper than that but you have to start somewhere. The point is to start. Everything else will fall into place if BOTH sides can come to the table and listen and learn.

Great post.

(06-07-2020, 10:08 PM)JagJohn Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 09:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Love 

Great post.

Thanks. I've always been a hearer, and sometimes a good listener. I want to be a better listener to everyone who is willing to talk, but I won't be abused by anyone who isn't willing to listen as well.

(06-05-2020, 09:24 PM)EricC85 Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 09:20 PM)mikesez Wrote: Dude, why let something that lasts about 2 minutes ruin 3 hours of entertainment for you?
I want our troops and our cops to be respected and prosper as much as the next guy, I just refuse to believe that 45 dudes kneeling for 2 minutes has anything to do with that.

football is where I go to escape, when politics is so saturated into my escape it’s time to find a new escape. I’m not saying I’m done as of now I’m just saying if I have to sit and listen to political commentary while I’m trying to watch football it’s kills any enjoyment I get bad enough our team sucks but mix in bad politics with bad football yuck

Give it up. There us no escape. There is no respite. You can't enjoy anything ever. Tomorrow will bring something else.  Everything is co-oped.  Just try to ignore it really. You can't really say anything about it without being a monster. When a guy that helped rebuild a city talks about prayer and is pounded into the ground what hope is there for you.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

NFL is allowing protests at the anthem now

(06-08-2020, 04:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: NFL is allowing protests at the anthem now

It will be interesting to see who chooses not to do it and who does it just to not get nailed by the media and the cancel culture like Drew Brees did.

(06-08-2020, 04:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 04:17 PM)JackCity Wrote: NFL is allowing protests at the anthem now

It will be interesting to see who chooses not to do it and who does it just to not get nailed by the media and the cancel culture like Drew Brees did.

How can you tell the difference between a conformist and a true believer?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-08-2020, 04:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 04:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It will be interesting to see who chooses not to do it and who does it just to not get nailed by the media and the cancel culture like Drew Brees did.

What are they kneeling for again exactly? Was that ever determined?

(06-08-2020, 04:21 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 04:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It will be interesting to see who chooses not to do it and who does it just to not get nailed by the media and the cancel culture like Drew Brees did.

One performs for two minutes, always on company time and only while the cameras are rolling.  The other performs far longer and on his own time, in places less advantaged and seldom seen by the media.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(06-07-2020, 09:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 04:01 PM)Sammy Wrote: If I weren't already E-Married to Bchbunnie4 (I love that girl) I would "kneel", and propose. I probably suck at being able to articulate the way you just did. White does not equal racist. I wish we (white people) were given more credit, but chances are we will be vilified because of our skin color. As long as one white person is racist, we all will be racist. Horrible for all skin tones ... How do we convince each other we aren't an enemy?

Love 

Excellent post, although I must say, getting a month long lecture on every channel about how America is racist and I'm a racist and everyone is racist is getting just a wee bit tiresome.   

I feel like I'm a teenager again and my mother is telling me for the one thousandth time that I need to clean up my room.

(06-09-2020, 06:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 09:49 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Love 

Excellent post, although I must say, getting a month long lecture on every channel about how America is racist and I'm a racist and everyone is racist is getting just a wee bit tiresome.   

I feel like I'm a teenager again and my mother is telling me for the one thousandth time that I need to clean up my room.

Only a racist would feel that way.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-07-2020, 09:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
How do you convince people? Umm it’s easy. Don’t be a terrible person.

I’m white and have never been accused of being racist. I teach children of all different races and socioeconomic status. I teach with other teachers of all races. Be kind and respectful. Fairly simple.

Stop making yourself out to be the victim here.

I think you have been called a racist, you just think they arent talking about you. You are most likely right that you aren't a racist, but wrong that others perceive you the same way.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 07:17 AM by The Real Marty.)

(06-09-2020, 06:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 06:08 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Excellent post, although I must say, getting a month long lecture on every channel about how America is racist and I'm a racist and everyone is racist is getting just a wee bit tiresome.   

Only a racist would feel that way.

I think these people have some genuine grievances, and since there are so many of them, I have to believe there is a problem and they are trying to express themselves about that problem.  

But I see the media go into these crowds and ask some random protester, "What do you want?"  
And the protester answers, "WE WANT JUSTICE!"  
Well, I can't give them that.  I can't end prejudice, I can't end injustice, and I can't change the world so everyone is treated fairly.  

"What do you want?"
"END RACISM!"
I can't do that, either.  And I don't want to abolish the police department.  If someone breaks into my house, I don't want to call Social Services and have some counselor come and talk to the intruder.  I want someone to come shoot them full of bullets. 

I'm not the kind of person that likes to listen to an endless rant about something.  Don't just tell me over and over about your problems.  Tell me what action you propose to solve those problems, and then we will examine your proposed solution and decide whether we want to do that.  

Problem- solution- action plan- implementation- follow up.  I don't want to hear an endless lecture about how I'm terrible, we're all terrible, and on and on.  

To be clear, I do think "white privilege" is a real thing.  But don't just yell at me about it.  Tell me what you think should be done about it.  Give me some concrete steps we can take to make things better.  And I'm not saying I'm going to agree that we should do any of those things, because I haven't seen any proposal yet that isn't counter-productive.

We live in a democratic republic.  If people don't like the way things are, they should register and vote.

(06-09-2020, 07:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 06:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Only a racist would feel that way.

I think these people have some genuine grievances, and since there are so many of them, I have to believe there is a problem and they are trying to express themselves about that problem.  

But I see the media go into these crowds and ask some random protester, "What do you want?"  
Well, I can't give them that.  I can't end prejudice, I can't end injustice, and I can't change the world so everyone is treated fairly.  

"What do you want?"
"END RACISM!"
I can't do that, either.  And I don't want to abolish the police department.  

I'm not the kind of person that likes to listen to an endless rant about something.  Don't just tell me over and over about your problems.  Tell me what action you propose to solve those problems, and then we will examine your proposed solution and decide whether we want to do that.  

Problem- solution- action plan- implementation- follow up.  I don't want to hear an endless lecture about how I'm terrible, we're all terrible, and on and on.  

To be clear, I do think "white privilege" is a real thing.  But don't just yell at me about it.  Tell me what you think should be done about it.  Give me some concrete steps we can take to make things better.  And I'm not saying I'm going to agree that we should do any of those things, because I haven't seen any proposal yet that isn't counter-productive.

We live in a democratic republic.  If people don't like the way things are, they should register and vote.

People are in crisis fatigue. The coronavirus was a once in a century event, then add the riots on top and people are just fed up and worn out.

(06-09-2020, 07:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-09-2020, 06:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Only a racist would feel that way.

"What do you want?"
"END RACISM!"
I can't do that, either.  And I don't want to abolish the police department.  If someone breaks into my house, I don't want to call Social Services and have some counselor come and talk to the intruder.  I want someone to come shoot them full of bullets. 

What do you mean "these people?"

White privilege is the exact reason we can't end racism. I don't think people realize how damaging a concept it has become.