Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Stock Market Under Trump

(04-25-2020, 09:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Who was it that wanted to buy Carnival stock?  They are about to get sued out of existence.  Which should put the market value of their stock at about...  lemmee see...  zero.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-...ronavirus/

Bloomberg? Jesus Marty.

Carnival will come back strong. 

FYI, lots of companies will be getting sued after this. It will be the new "car accident soft tissue injury".

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-25-2020, 09:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 09:30 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Who was it that wanted to buy Carnival stock?  They are about to get sued out of existence.  Which should put the market value of their stock at about...  lemmee see...  zero.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2020-...ronavirus/

Bloomberg? Jesus Marty.

FYI, lots of companies will be getting sued after this. It will be the new "car accident soft tissue injury".

Then buy a few shares and let us know how it turns out.  Put your money where your mouth is.

(04-25-2020, 10:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 09:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Bloomberg? Jesus Marty.

Then buy a few shares and let us know how it turns out.  Put your money where your mouth is.

I have. Do you want to see my statement? It's a $10 stock that was a $52 dollar stock 4 months ago.

(04-25-2020, 01:03 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 10:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Then buy a few shares and let us know how it turns out.  Put your money where your mouth is.

I have. Do you want to see my statement? It's a $10 stock that was a $52 dollar stock 4 months ago.
I do. 

Post it.

I don’t know how healthy carnival was before this. I see them as a very budget cruise lines so I don’t know their reserves. If their balance sheet is strong enough to get thru this they will be alright.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(04-02-2020, 02:30 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Carnival stock!   Only $8!

Who was it that was so anxious to buy Carnival at $17?

212% increase in just over 2 months. Not looking like such a poor investment now. 

Told ya.

(06-08-2020, 05:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

212% increase in just over 2 months. Not looking like such a poor investment now. 

Told ya.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47552370da85bb62c09d...=giphy.gif]

Told ya.

Norwegian is the better investment right now. Carnival and Royal Caribbean are burning through cash, and both of them are diluted with their resent offerings. It’ll be a lot longer before they hit their pre-covid price. 

You don’t get too many opportunities to make this kind of money.

Told ya.

The thing is you didn't buy it and don't hold it... unless it's in your 401k somehow.

Meanwhile I managed to pick some shares up of Boeing when it was down to around $130 (actually got some higher than that at $163 or so earlier).  It closed today at $230.50 per share.  I did sell some off on the climb up (500 shares), but after fees I made pretty much slightly less than 1/4 of my annual salary.  I still hold several shares with a cost basis of around $145 per share.

The difference is, my shares of Boeing are probably going to climb higher over the long term.  Carnival stock... not so much.  Boeing stock will pay a dividend.  Carnival stock... not so much.

There is a difference between investing and gambling.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-08-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 05:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: 212% increase in just over 2 months. Not looking like such a poor investment now. 

Told ya.

The thing is you didn't buy it and don't hold it... unless it's in your 401k somehow.

Meanwhile I managed to pick some shares up of Boeing when it was down to around $130 (actually got some higher than that at $163 or so earlier).  It closed today at $230.50 per share.  I did sell some off on the climb up (500 shares), but after fees I made pretty much slightly less than 1/4 of my annual salary.  I still hold several shares with a cost basis of around $145 per share.

The difference is, my shares of Boeing are probably going to climb higher over the long term.  Carnival stock... not so much.  Boeing stock will pay a dividend.  Carnival stock... not so much.

Investing is gambling no matter which way you cut it.

(06-08-2020, 06:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is you didn't buy it and don't hold it... unless it's in your 401k somehow.

No, it isn't.  "Investing" in a stock just because you think that it will go up and you could make money on it... well that's gambling not investing.

Taking a position in a stock for the long term... that's investing.

When you compare two companies (Boeing vs. Carnival) which one has the better balance sheet?  Which one has the better chance of growth over the long term?  Stock price isn't the only thing to look at.  If stock price is all that you are looking at, especially in the short term then you are gambling and NOT investing.

I'll be the first to admit that I did both.  When Boeing stock initially shot up I missed my "buy" target and made the fatal mistake on buying when it pulled back (500 shares at around $163).  When it fell back down around $130 per share I picked up more and bought a little more when I saw it going back up (somewhere around $145).

When it broke $180 I sold my initial position and took profits.  That was "gambling" because it was all short term.

I don't plan on selling anymore of my shares for a very long time.  I don't really care much what the stock does as far as price as long as it stays above a certain threshold (my current is $200 per share).  In the meantime, the stock will pay me dividends on the shares that I own.

In 10 years and over 10 years I will have made money on the dividends that they pay me, and the stock may or may not be worth more than the ~$130 or ~$145 per share that I paid for it.  My "gamble" is that the stock will probably be worth more than double the price that I paid for it.

Boeing is a strong company and has a lot of contracts with the Government as far as weapons systems and platforms go.  That isn't going to go away.

Take a look at Carnival and tell me what's good about the company.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I disagree. Boeing definitely has the better balance sheet right now, but I think Carnival is the best investment. Give it a year (minimum) and Carnival will get you a 100% return. They’ll also likely reinstate that $2/share which is insane for This price.

(04-22-2020, 04:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I would like to see a couple more days like today and end the week higher than last week.  We still have a ways to go on the DOW to get back above 24,000.  Oil is still around $14.00 or so and there is news that it could get back to around the $30 mark by June which would be good.  I would like to see oil get up above $50 which probably won't happen until the end of the year.

I believe that when the country "opens up" demand will go up.  If I was a short term trader I would look at oil very carefully.  I personally invest for the long term and don't like the uncertainty of the energy sector, though it probably could do well.

GUSH has performed well as energy stocks get better.  It's the opposite of DRIP (what was GASX before the fund reconfigurations post China flu shutdown.)
+25.97% on the day yesterday.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(06-08-2020, 06:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 06:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The thing is you didn't buy it and don't hold it... unless it's in your 401k somehow.

Depends on how prepared you are.  I completely agree, if you don't know what you're investing in... you shouldn't.  If you want no risk, then no... do not invest.

At the same time, that decision also guaranteed no reward.

There are "safe" investments that follow the indices.  Your returns will rise and fall with the market.  In the long run, this is about as safe as it gets.  If you don't have long before retirement and are completely risk averse, then yes... that's a valid reason for not risking your money.

Higher the risk, higher the reward.  There are funds that consistently beat the indexes.  If you are no risk, don't invest in the market.  If you are low risk, invest in an index fund that mirrors the markets.  If you are medium or moderate risk, invest in an index fund that historically beats the indices.  If you want bigger rewards, you will have to accept higher risk and try 2x/3x leveraged index funds and inverse leveraged funds.

Caveat - don't do any of it if you don't understand what you're getting into.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2020, 01:19 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

I am happy with XOM. Wish I had more to invest in March, but my cash flow is/was just weak right now. That was a once in a decade kind of event back in March if you were able to participate.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(06-08-2020, 11:01 PM)pirkster Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 06:09 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Investing is gambling no matter which way you cut it.

Depends on how prepared you are.  I completely agree, if you don't know what you're investing in... you shouldn't.  If you want no risk, then no... do not invest.

At the same time, that decision also guaranteed no reward.

There are "safe" investments that follow the indices.  Your returns will rise and fall with the market.  In the long run, this is about as safe as it gets.  If you don't have long before retirement and are completely risk averse, then yes... that's a valid reason for not risking your money.

Higher the risk, higher the reward.  There are funds that consistently beat the indexes.  If you are no risk, don't invest in the market.  If you are low risk, invest in an index fund that mirrors the markets.  If you are medium or moderate risk, invest in an index fund that historically beats the indices.  If you want bigger rewards, you will have to accept higher risk and try 2x/3x leveraged index funds and inverse leveraged funds.

Caveat - don't do any of it if you don't understand what you're getting into.

100% agree. It depends on how prepared you are, how much work you are willing to put into it, and if not, are you willing to hire a fiduciary type advisor who will look out for your best interest over theirs.

Nothing is guaranteed, which is why I said investing is gambling no matter which way you cut it. It is all about being diversified, but that goes back to being prepared, which if you aren't, it is gambling.

I was actually thinking about you as I'm watching Boeing skyrocket.  I told my neighbor about Boeing at $120/share and he was very apprehensive stating they have no backorders --- the other day, he's like HOLY CRAP !!!  Anyway, i'm only profiting off of Boeing via 401k so in a way, that does help but not to the extent if you bought directly into Boeing shares.

On a side note, it looks like Warren Buffett was a bit premature dumping all of his airline stocks at their low.

Also, Stanley Drunkenmiller admitted yesterday on CNBC that he misgaged the recovery. He stated that he made the right move on the way down and was up 2% at the bottom but was only up 3% as of yesterday because he never moved his funds on the way up.

The market really is baffling (wall street versus main street) and it only goes to show, there are so many varying opinions out there from the historic experts that it really does come down to confidence in the Gov to mitigate the situation. The market is down today but as of yesterday, we're up 6% on the year and up 2% from the Feb high. Pretty good after bring down ~ 25% back on March 23. That was a pretty frightening & depressing time as we headed into the onset of the Lockdown.

I heard a funny line the other day: The stock market is just a graph of rich people's feelings.

(06-09-2020, 09:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I heard a funny line the other day: The stock market is  just a graph of rich people's feelings.

Sad, but that is a very accurate depiction !!!  I'm a pretty competitive person dating back to my more athletic days and since I don't gamble on sports, the market satisfies my daily betting fix.  Couple that with the fact that there are no competitive sports (of interest) on TV right now, and this is pretty much it for my rooting interest.