Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rayshard Brooks

I believe this would be a relatively bipartisan issue.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I wonder how this individual survived 

https://youtu.be/TLClu1R4ImA
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(06-19-2020, 06:02 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I wonder how this individual survived 

Too bad he did.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2020, 08:54 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(06-19-2020, 08:08 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 06:22 AM)JackCity Wrote: I understand how it works. He's a corrupt little piggy just like the rest of them , hopefully he gets whats coming to him.

Guessing a cop had sex with your wife while you were out of town.

More than once by the sound of it.

(06-19-2020, 06:02 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I wonder how this individual survived 

That cop is a coward. 

Why haven't you post one of the video where they do shoot the white guy?

(06-19-2020, 09:56 AM)TJBender Wrote: The mayor, on the other hand, is about the only mayor of a real city that was able to get the initial riots under control after the first night, and keep riots and looting more or less under control throughout after that, right up until an officer very questionably shot Brooks in the back. Contrast that to Minneapolis, where the mayor took days to even think about trying to control things, or LA that had several days of riots. Philly, too. Aside from her bizarre pseudo-firing of the chief of police, it's hard for me to find a real misstep on her part after being caught completely off guard by the first night of protest--a mistake she responded to in force on the second day and thereafter.

TBQH, she's the only effective political leader in the state of Georgia right now. Kemp has looked ineffective, at best, for months now, to the point that the entire Atlanta metro (including the very white, very rich parts) has been taking its lead from Mayor Bottoms, not the governor. But if you choose just to see the color of her skin and the (D) after her name before doing your usual routine, hey, your problem, not mine.

I actually didn't have a problem with the mayor. I disagree with almost everything she stands for but she never did anything that I could hate her for until now. While many people may not like what the officers did, it was a by-the-book shooting, and she ended his career (and helped ruined his life) to further her own which tells me she's a coward. I'm not sure what you mean about the metro-Atlanta following her lead? The two biggest counties (Cobb and Gwinnett) are turning blue, but the commissioners are mostly conservative.

If that dude were shot dead, how many people here would defend it? Not me. 

I realize your assertion is that that cop didn't want to kill a white man, but there are plenty of cops who would have shot that dude. 350 million people dude. You can prove anything. I just saw news that the DA in California was letting a man walk after he confessed to punching a baby to death. What does that prove?

(06-19-2020, 03:47 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 11:43 AM)JackCity Wrote: Town of 9000

https://twitter.com/JBaker_WTOV/status/1...42308?s=19

I agree that the police should not have military vehicles. The policy of the federal government giving police military vehicles was started before Trump, and before Obama (who had eight years to stop it but didn't). Biden was a big proponent of this.

However this is another issue that has nothing to do with race.

Yes the dems suck too

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2020, 09:45 AM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(06-19-2020, 08:53 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

That cop is a coward. 

I didn't know that portion of the video exist, I was advised about the one I posted.

To your point about the cop being a coward, do you think his physical tactics were poor? ie not giving him self more distance, not going through the proper level of force, or not properly waiting for backup to arrive before advancing on the suspect?
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(06-19-2020, 09:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:

If that dude were shot dead, how many people here would defend it? Not me. 

I realize your assertion is that that cop didn't want to kill a white man, but there are plenty of cops who would have shot that dude. 350 million people dude. You can prove anything. I just saw news that the DA in California was letting a man walk after he confessed to punching a baby to death. What does that prove?

You wouldn't defend it but that doesn't mean nobody would.

My assertion is focusing on police tactics and the lack of consistency. It doesn't matter if it applies to people of color or not. The intent is to point out if a person is a threat to Law enforcement or the general public, there has to be a clear "strike zone" justifiable deadly force is in reason. 

I dont know about the situation in California, im confused, was the man who killed the child a officer?

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2020, 10:23 AM by Lucky2Last.)

No, I was just using an example of something terrible that happens in a nation of 350 million people that is rare, but not actually proof of any kind of systemic injustice. If it made national headlines EVERY time, we would think it was a much bigger problem than it actually was. I used a different example before, but kidnappings of children by unknown persons in the US is really, really rare. However, the "missing" on the milk cartons and national headlines when it happens causes people to believe it is far more widespread. We, as humans, have a hard time removing bias from reason, and when something is force fed to a nation, they will begin to believe it, even if it isn't likely. Once a belief is imprinted into our subconscious, facts don't really matter, and we are all susceptible to that kind of bias.

I agree with you that there needs to be more consistency in policing. I am definitely open to the idea of police reform. Years ago, I was advocating against the militarization of the police. I think they need more training, especially in deescalation and public service, but also in physical training and proper use of force. I think they need more time off, especially after dealing with stressful situations. I think they need better counseling. I am also open to creating very strict guidelines as to when the use of force is warranted. That said, they also need to be given some leeway in these cases where a split second decision needs to be made. We could never have a police force if perfection is a requirement.

The big positive from this situation is that the national eye is fixated on police reform, and that is good. I think an argument could be made that we wouldn't have this conversation if there wasn't such a uprising after the death of George Floyd. The negative is that this conversation can not limited to the institution itself. Citizens also need to understand the proper way to interact with the police. When I watch the video you posted, I would have shot that dude. Anyone that is chasing a cop is threatening his life. You don't have to be kind to a police officer, but it can not be acceptable to assault them. The ramification, either way, is too severe. I don't believe it is fair to completely put the onus for a successful interaction on one person. All of modern civilization is built on social contracts that rely on self-restraint. If the citizens aren't willing to restrain themselves, there can be no police force.

This is not just an institutional problem, but a societal one as well.

(06-20-2020, 09:37 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:

That cop is a coward. 

I didn't know that portion of the video exist, I was advised about the one I posted.

To your point about the cop being a coward, do you think his physical tactics were poor? ie not giving him self more distance, not going through the proper level of force, or not properly waiting for backup to arrive before advancing on the suspect?

He's a coward because he should have just started punching him the second he advanced on him.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2020, 01:15 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

(06-20-2020, 09:37 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:

That cop is a coward. 

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that there are plenty of videos of them shooting white guys, so showing a video where they don’t prove anything. I didn’t mean to imply they shot him specifically. You’re right there. 

Sometimes, they can’t wait for backup, and he’s a perfect example. He’s definitely irrational and wouldn’t wait there long enough for backup. He should’ve asked him to get down, and the moment he gets up to fight, then he needed to handle business. 

Running away from a suspect chasing you will get you hurt.

(06-20-2020, 11:50 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 09:37 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I didn't know that portion of the video exist, I was advised about the one I posted.

He's a coward because he should have just started punching him the second he advanced on him.

Bingo. 

He’s not likely to use force at all, so him not shooting someone is no surprise.

Should he have been shot the second he decided to assault a police officer?  That is the real question.  Race is unimportant.  If someone, anyone is going to be this belligerent and disrespectful that person is a danger to society.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(06-20-2020, 01:11 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 09:37 AM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: I didn't know that portion of the video exist, I was advised about the one I posted.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that there are plenty of videos of them shooting white guys, so showing a video where they don’t prove anything. I didn’t mean to imply they shot him specifically. You’re right there. 

Sometimes, they can’t wait for backup, and he’s a perfect example. He’s definitely irrational and wouldn’t wait there long enough for backup. He should’ve asked him to get down, and the moment he gets up to fight, then he needed to handle business. 

Running away from a suspect chasing you will get you hurt.

(06-20-2020, 11:50 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: He's a coward because he should have just started punching him the second he advanced on him.

Bingo. 

He’s not likely to use force at all, so him not shooting someone is no surprise.

It's hard talking about these kinds of things with confirmed pacifists who have never been in a fight.

They think the world is made of rainbows and happiness.

So armed thugs have "taken over" the property where the Wendy's was located and where the convict was legally and lawfully stopped from committing more criminal activity by police.  Evidently they are harassing people that live in the area and police are "patrolling from a distance".

I can't say that I blame the officers.  They have no backing from their "leaders" up to and including the Mayor.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-23-2020, 06:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So armed thugs have "taken over" the property where the Wendy's was located and where the convict was legally and lawfully stopped from committing more criminal activity by police.  Evidently they are harassing people that live in the area and police are "patrolling from a distance".

I can't say that I blame the officers.  They have no backing from their "leaders" up to and including the Mayor.

I don't know if there are people doing what they describe there, but I do know that there were people stopping traffic and preventing vehicles from driving through public roads. They weren't just stopping people going into Wendy's; they were stopping all lanes of traffic. They had guns and supposedly stopped and searched some others.

(06-23-2020, 06:36 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 06:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So armed thugs have "taken over" the property where the Wendy's was located and where the convict was legally and lawfully stopped from committing more criminal activity by police.  Evidently they are harassing people that live in the area and police are "patrolling from a distance".

I don't know if there are people doing what they describe there, but I do know that there were people stopping traffic and preventing vehicles from driving through public roads. They weren't just stopping people going into Wendy's; they were stopping all lanes of traffic. They had guns and supposedly stopped and searched some others.

There isn't any Wendy's anymore, it was burnt down by peaceful protesters a mob led by the convict's girlfriend (allegedly).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

They got the wack job who started the fire, she is 29 but looks like a hard 29 years.
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/brea...4icnYM5LO/

(06-23-2020, 07:40 PM)p_rushing Wrote: They got the wack job who started the fire, she is 29 but looks like a hard 29 years.
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/brea...4icnYM5LO/

So either she is his girlfriend or she isn’t, depending on who you ask. The hell?

Hopefully she rolls over and gives up anyone else who was involved. You think she looks 40 now? Wait till she turns 40 after 10 years in prison.