Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(06-27-2020, 01:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 01:09 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
The Diamond Princess had over 3,000 passengers. If you have ever been on a cruise ship you would know that the median age is well over 65. They didn't know about an infection until 14 days at sea, so pretty much everyone was exposed to the virus in the common dining areas.  Everyone was tested, 17% tested positive and seven died (0.2%).

LOL

Are you trying to debate the 1.3% fatality rate in those aged 65+ ???

Because of a [BLEEP] cruise ship??? 

Really???

The cruise ship served as an unintended laboratory experiment for the virus. 3000+ test subjects is a lot for any medical test. But if you have a better example that proves your 1.3% by all means provide a link.

BTW, no one under 70 died on that ship.

Link

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-27-2020, 01:35 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 01:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: LOL

Are you trying to debate the 1.3% fatality rate in those aged 65+ ???

Because of a [BLEEP] cruise ship??? 

Really???

The cruise ship served as an unintended laboratory experiment for the virus. 3000+ test subjects is a lot for any medical test. But if you have a better example that proves your 1.3% by all means provide a link.

Link

This article (which actually seeks to downplay the virus) includes the CDC 1.3% IFR figure for that age group. 

https://in.dental-tribune.com/news/new-e...-whos-3-4/

A cruise ship is not a controlled experiment nor is it indicative of a much larger population for countless reasons. 
Surprised I need to explain that ^

(06-27-2020, 01:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 01:35 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: The cruise ship served as an unintended laboratory experiment for the virus. 3000+ test subjects is a lot for any medical test. But if you have a better example that proves your 1.3% by all means provide a link.

Link

This article (which actually seeks to downplay the virus) includes the CDC 1.3% IFR figure for that age group. 

A cruise ship is not a controlled experiment nor is it indicative of a much larger population for countless reasons. 

There is no "controlled" experiment for the virus. The cruise ship is still the closest thing we have. On the cruise ship everyone* was exposed to the virus. People weren't being cautious until after two weeks had passed. This is a 0% herd-immunity result with no social distancing. The real world result would be lower.

Your article uses estimates far from a controlled experiment, and is over a month old. The 45% value disagrees with the current best estimates, and the 55% showing symptoms is three times the 17% result from the cruise ship. If you are claiming that a younger population than the 70+ median on a cruise ship is more likely to show symptoms, then that might be the case. I doubt it's a factor of three difference.

*there may have been a few people who stayed in their cabin (but then what's the point of going on a cruise?). Even they will interact with room service and maid service.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(06-27-2020, 01:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/stat...18561?s=20

Yesterday also went over 9,000 new positives. 

14,136 Hospitalizations. It doesn't say if that's current or cumulative.

Link

(06-27-2020, 02:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 01:52 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: This article (which actually seeks to downplay the virus) includes the CDC 1.3% IFR figure for that age group. 

There is no "controlled" experiment for the virus. The cruise ship is still the closest thing we have. On the cruise ship everyone* was exposed to the virus. People weren't being cautious until after two weeks had passed. This is a 0% herd-immunity result with no social distancing. The real world result would be lower.

Your article uses estimates far from a controlled experiment, and is over a month old. The 45% value disagrees with the current best estimates, and the 55% showing symptoms is three times the 17% result from the cruise ship. If you are claiming that a younger population than the 70+ median on a cruise ship is more likely to show symptoms, then that might be the case. I doubt it's a factor of three difference.

*there may have been a few people who stayed in their cabin (but then what's the point of going on a cruise?). Even they will interact with room service and maid service.

You need to quit fixating on a cruise ship with a few thousand people and look at actual raw data from millions of cases and subsequent deaths.   

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/cor...race-14863

Extrapolating the real numbers in these factual reports of actual data means that Florida's 65+ population of nearly 5 million will see 3,600 of them dead as a result of this virus if our current fatality rate holds. 

I realize that's perfectly acceptable to many posters here, but I'd prefer to reduce that number of dead people by not sticking my head in the sand and pretending this thing will just magically go away.

Welp.. my boss just informed us all that she has COVID. What’s next?

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2020, 03:23 PM by MalabarJag.)

(06-27-2020, 02:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 02:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: There is no "controlled" experiment for the virus. The cruise ship is still the closest thing we have. On the cruise ship everyone* was exposed to the virus. People weren't being cautious until after two weeks had passed. This is a 0% herd-immunity result with no social distancing. The real world result would be lower.

You need to quit fixating on a cruise ship with a few thousand people and look at actual raw data from millions of cases and subsequent deaths.   

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#demographics

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/cor...race-14863

Extrapolating the real numbers in these factual reports of actual data means that Florida's 65+ population of nearly 5 million will see 3,600 of them dead as a result of this virus if our current fatality rate holds. 

I realize that's perfectly acceptable to many posters here, but I'd prefer to reduce that number of dead people by not sticking my head in the sand and pretending this thing will just magically go away.

Those are all estimates (the 2nd article specifically says "estimates" while the first gave no breakdown for likelihood of dying by age). The cruise ship data is actual data. I'll take actual data to an estimate any day. but feel free to believe what you want and ignore the actual data if it makes you happy.

As far as the 65+ population, I agree for the most part. Older people need to be isolated until either the virus dies out or a vaccine is available. But just putting age 65 as a cutoff is not specific enough. Most of the victims were over 80 and had serious pre-existing conditions. In any case we need to keep protecting the nursing homes, and encourage older Floridians to stay home and avoid social situations.

The current spike in cases in Florida is very heavily tilted to younger people. If this means that a month or two from now every young person will have been exposed and gotten over it, then that's probably the best we can hope for. For now at least, be sure to take lots of vitamin D.

(06-27-2020, 03:17 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Welp.. my boss just informed us all that she has COVID. What’s next?

Whatever you do, don't kiss her!

Florida killin it huh?

In other news, chipped in a birdie from 60 yards out today!

(06-27-2020, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Florida killin it huh?

Wouldn't that be a pitch?

(06-27-2020, 12:59 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 11:54 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bull [BLEEP]. None of the positives I know have even been symptomatic, this is mass hysteria, pure and simple.

Ever heard of "mother-in-law research"?

Yes, but no one seems to care what the actual empirical research says at this point, so I'm hopeful that you will start looking around and actually seeing that the bull [BLEEP] that you've spoon fed hasn't materialized.

But nah, just keep on enjoying the social conditioning. Once you bend the knee for little things it'll make it easier on your conscience to bend to the big ones.

(06-27-2020, 02:34 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 01:59 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/stat...18561?s=20

Yesterday also went over 9,000 new positives. 

14,136 Hospitalizations. It doesn't say if that's current or cumulative.

Link

Cumulative because there's currently about 40 people hospitalized in NE FLorida with only about 6 of those in ICU. Positives don't mean hospitalization, hospitalization doesn't mean critical care. They know this but have to push the narrative.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-27-2020, 03:44 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 03:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Florida killin it huh?

Wouldn't that be a pitch?

No, you're thinking of rugby.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Moronic Florida anti-maskers:

"How will young children be able to know who the dangerous deviants are like paedophiles and people in the human sex trafficking?"

"We will get together and do a citizen’s arrest on every single human being that goes against the freedom of choice, OK? You literally cannot mandate somebody to wear a mask knowing that that mask is killing people. It literally is killing people,” she yelled at the panel. “Every single one of you have a smirk behind that little mask. But every single one of you are going to get punished by God"

"They want to throw God’s wonderful breathing system out the door. You’re all turning your backs on it"

Maybe its best in the long term if these people catch COVID and are removed from the gene pool.

(06-27-2020, 06:55 PM)JackCity Wrote: https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/stat...51744?s=19

Fantastic! America
Sucks! Amirite?   Am I doing this right, second thought, [BLEEP] off

(06-27-2020, 04:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 03:44 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Wouldn't that be a pitch?

No, you're thinking of rugby.

Maybe he meant bump and run, as that would be the longest chip in history.

How you all doing? Been seeing some worrying numbers, especially in Florida. You all stay safe.

UK update. [BLEEP] mental. So the government has been reopening all over. All shops are now open again, soccer back (no fans), you can have a 'bubble' with another family. From 4th July, pubs and restaurants set to reopen with cinemas. 

Sadly this seems to be more for the economy than science. We have the 3rd worse death figures in the world and still over 100+ a day dying but everyone seems bored with lockdown so were just not going to bother anymore.

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2020, 07:24 PM by homebiscuit.)

(06-27-2020, 07:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 04:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, you're thinking of rugby.

No, you're thinking of Tinder.

(06-27-2020, 07:16 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: How you all doing? Been seeing some worrying numbers, especially in Florida. You all stay safe.

UK update. [BLEEP] mental. So the government has been reopening all over. All shops are now open again, soccer back (no fans), you can have a 'bubble' with another family. From 4th July, pubs and restaurants set to reopen with cinemas. 

Sadly this seems to be more for the economy than science. We have the 3rd worse death figures in the world and still over 100+ a day dying but everyone seems bored with lockdown so were just not going to bother anymore.

Like you guys, trying to find a happy medium. You might have to take a short flight over and talk JackCity back from the edge. He seems very distressed about us Americans.

(06-27-2020, 07:15 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 04:16 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: No, you're thinking of rugby.

Call it whatever you want. It was MONEY.