Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Serious question, why is it that the virus hit China then Europe we had advanced notice plus the intel and we have more cases in our country than all of Europe combined? Is this an election year thing? Too many “not gonna happen to me” people? Mutation of virus thing? Something just doesn’t seem right with the numbers. I’m not saying people aren’t getting sick or anything. But there are zero definite about rhis thing. Are we that [BLEEP] stupid or are we putting the info into everyone’s heads we want to for political gain? We’re the greatest nation, had advanced warning yet we are the only ones that just can’t control it. Doesn’t make sense.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-03-2020, 06:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 130,000 Americans dead

People still want to act like children over a silly little face covering.

(07-03-2020, 05:24 PM)Sammy Wrote: https://d3926qxcw0e1bh.cloudfront.net/po...71f0c.jpeg

On June 3rd the percentage of positive cases from FL tests was half what it was from yesterday’s results. 

It’s not just more testing. 

The positive results have nearly doubled by percentage.

You can keep citing that number, but posters on here have already explained the problems with that number ad naueum.  Fair enough on the percentages, but the more who test positive, the lower the death rate is and the more this all looks like one big overreaction.  It's a highly politicized, over fear mongered, flu like illness.  If we tested masses of people for the flu, labeled anyone who tested positive as a flu death within 30 days of testing positive even if they were asymptomatic, and treated it aggressively by incentivising ventilator use, we could inflate the flu number just as much.  Instead, with the flu, we only go by symptoms.  A very small percentage of flu cases are actually tested for.  As many as three fourths of flu cases are asymptomatic.  If we took all those people and if they died within thirty days of being tested, and we labeled them as flu deaths, imagine how much larger the number would be.

(07-03-2020, 06:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hairstylists with COVID-19 didn't infect any of their 140 clients. Face masks may be why.

I was waiting for this follow-up. thank you so much for sharing.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-03-2020, 06:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Hairstylists with COVID-19 didn't infect any of their 140 clients. Face masks may be why.

That’s great to hear.   But to be fair....it doesn’t prove much one way or the other.  I think there is BS going on for sure and I personally feel masks would help transmission.   But when did we start counting clients? And why the heck would two chicks keep working while infected by such “deadly” viruse decide to keep working?  Does great clips not give pto for infected employees?  They should. And if not, they still shouldn’t be working anyways.  So maybe they tested positive and guessed the nimbers.  Maybe not many of the clients got tested. Just from a scientific POV doesn’t seem to support much.  With that being said, you’re my most respected poster.  So don’t think I’m trying to throw you or your link under the bus

Illinois Governor's mask mandate overturned by the courts. More States likely to follow. Good for them.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-03-2020, 05:24 PM)Sammy Wrote: https://d3926qxcw0e1bh.cloudfront.net/po...71f0c.jpeg

On June 3rd the percentage of positive cases from FL tests was half what it was from yesterday’s results. 

Do you know how many of those positives were retests of previous positives? Do you realize that the more positive cases we have with a steady or declining death rate  the better for all of us? Or do you just want to keep citing proven false numbers for your continuing mental breakdown?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-03-2020, 08:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Do you know how many of those positives were retests of previous positives? Do you realize that the more positive cases we have with a steady or declining death rate  the better for all of us? Or do you just want to keep citing proven false numbers for your continuing mental breakdown?

I’m citing fact.

You’re attempting to discredit it with conspiracy theory.  

It’s not working. You just sound like a nut job.

(07-03-2020, 08:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 08:15 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Do you know how many of those positives were retests of previous positives? Do you realize that the more positive cases we have with a steady or declining death rate  the better for all of us? Or do you just want to keep citing proven false numbers for your continuing mental breakdown?

I’m citing fact.

Well, I'm sorry your fear has overwhelmed your reason. Fortunately you'll almost certainly be ok. Like 99.8% sure infact.

And the CDC says your percentage stat is crap, it up from 8.1% to 8.7.

The overall percentage of respiratory specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 increased from week 25 (8.1%) to week 26 (8.7%) nationally, driven by increases in seven regions. National percentages of specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 by type of laboratory:
  • Public health laboratories – increased from 5.6% during week 25 to 6.3% during week 26;

• Clinical laboratories – increased from 5.3% during week 25 to 5.8% during week 26;

• Commercial laboratories – increased from 8.7% during week 25 to 9.3% during week 26.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...index.html

Nut job indeed.

(07-03-2020, 08:03 PM)Hey Jags Wrote:

That’s great to hear.   But to be fair....it doesn’t prove much one way or the other.  I think there is BS going on for sure and I personally feel masks would help transmission.   But when did we start counting clients? And why the heck would two chicks keep working while infected by such “deadly” viruse decide to keep working?  Does great clips not give pto for infected employees?  They should. And if not, they still shouldn’t be working anyways.  So maybe they tested positive and guessed the nimbers.  Maybe not many of the clients got tested. Just from a scientific POV doesn’t seem to support much.  With that being said, you’re my most respected poster.  So don’t think I’m trying to throw you or your link under the bus
Wait. Can I get some reasons as to how masks would HELP transmission?

(This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 09:40 PM by homebiscuit.)

(07-03-2020, 08:03 PM)Jags Wrote:

No offense taken. Skepticism is good. 
I posted that story to support my assertion that folks should simply wear a mask in public places. It's a small effort that may have a profound effect. If anything, it gives those who work in customer service a modicum of comfort and protection. 

Don't be a whiny 
Pain in the ask
Have some couth
And wear a mask

-- Shakespeare

Let me guess, Soros, Clinton or gates benefits from mask wearing or some other crazy conspiracy?

(07-03-2020, 06:48 PM)Jags Wrote: Serious question, why is it that the virus hit China then Europe we had advanced notice plus the intel and we have more cases in our country than all of Europe combined?   Is this an election year thing? Too many “not gonna happen to me” people? Mutation of virus thing? Something just doesn’t seem right with the numbers.  I’m not saying people aren’t getting sick or anything.  But there are zero definite about rhis thing.  Are we that [BLEEP] stupid or are we putting the info into everyone’s heads we want to for political gain?   We’re the greatest nation, had advanced warning yet we are the only ones that just can’t control it.  Doesn’t make sense.

We tend to celebrate individuality over the collective good.

(07-03-2020, 06:48 PM)Jags Wrote: Serious question, why is it that the virus hit China then Europe we had advanced notice plus the intel and we have more cases in our country than all of Europe combined?   Is this an election year thing? Too many “not gonna happen to me” people? Mutation of virus thing? Something just doesn’t seem right with the numbers.  I’m not saying people aren’t getting sick or anything.  But there are zero definite about rhis thing.  Are we that [BLEEP] stupid or are we putting the info into everyone’s heads we want to for political gain?   We’re the greatest nation, had advanced warning yet we are the only ones that just can’t control it.  Doesn’t make sense.

lots of things about America will make more sense if you remove the glib tag of "greatest nation"

(07-03-2020, 08:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 08:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I’m citing fact.

Well, I'm sorry your fear has overwhelmed your reason. Fortunately you'll almost certainly be ok. Like 99.8% sure infact.

And the CDC says your percentage stat is crap, it up from 8.1% to 8.7.

The overall percentage of respiratory specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 increased from week 25 (8.1%) to week 26 (8.7%) nationally, driven by increases in seven regions. National percentages of specimens testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 by type of laboratory:
  • Public health laboratories – increased from 5.6% during week 25 to 6.3% during week 26;

• Clinical laboratories – increased from 5.3% during week 25 to 5.8% during week 26;

• Commercial laboratories – increased from 8.7% during week 25 to 9.3% during week 26.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...index.html

Nut job indeed.

Please re-read my post. 

It says FL percent positive. 
The July 2nd percentage of positive tests in the state of FL was 14.91%
http://www.floridahealth.gov/newsroom/20...19.pr.html

I am not fearful. I have confidence in my ability to beat the virus. But I have people in my orbit dying from this thing  My aunt and uncle won't last the weekend most likely, I have good friends who have lost their parents. 
I don't want more people like them to die unnecessarily.  

ALL I am doing is trying to keep human cost in perspective while others seek to focus on economic impact. 

Hope everyone stays safe this weekend.

I'm a 100% mask wearer (is that a word?) ... I just thought it was funny. I won't be taking an IQ test to determine if I am a moron, I already know that answer.

The positive results are concerning, I agree. It was only 8% less than a week ago. The virus is definitely spreading. The good news is that it is spreading to who should be getting it. Young people, who are affected significantly less are spreading it to each other, which is rapidly building us towards herd immunity. As long as older people and the immunocompromised continue to take this threat seriously, we should be able to limit deaths to something normal.

If the death rates start to spike, we may need to do something differently, but, even then, I'm not convinced shutting down the economy is the right move. The average age of death in Florida, last time I checked, was 77. Most of the people dying have other causes that are multiplying the impact of this disease, which really happens with any disease. I wonder what the flu death count would be if we counted every death when someone dies with the flue as the primary reason they died. The reality is that people die from viruses all the time, but no one wants to see unnecessary deaths.

[Image: 107095163_10158503300424588_884720359943...e=5F26750C]

Latest info on State of Florida positive testing in NEW cases only.  It's trending in the wrong direction. 

[Image: Screen-Shot-2020-07-04-at-12.28.05-PM1be...2ec453.png]

More here:

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partne...latest.pdf

Florida #1! Way to go guys!