Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

When the wife jokingly [BLEEP] at you for buying the eight pack when you only bought two four packs. Smh.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-08-2020, 08:38 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 04:45 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Dad?

You should have witnessed my inner turmoil when I spotted a very nice bow saw while walking through a flea market. It was quality. I tried manfully to convince myself that I could use it to prune back the larger branches of my Crepe Myrtle and...nothing else. But it was quality! Maybe I could find something to cut. I still regret not buying that saw so it could sit unused in my garage.

That's wayyyyyyyyyyy too reasonable.

My 3-year-old grandson's very, very, (sigh) very high pitched tantrum scream.

(07-15-2020, 01:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My 3-year-old grandson's very, very, (sigh) very high pitched tantrum scream.

Have you tried beating it out of him? I don’t mean in a serous fashion. But ya know, the good old school parental method that worked for ages before that got ‘banned’?

(07-16-2020, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 01:15 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: My 3-year-old grandson's very, very, (sigh) very high pitched tantrum scream.

Have you tried beating it out of him? I don’t mean in a serous fashion. But ya know, the good old school parental method that worked for ages before that got ‘banned’?

His mother wasn’t allowed to act like that. I’ll leave it there.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2020, 06:58 AM by The Real Marty.)

Ads or links or videos that have a title that includes, "You won't believe what happened next."   Or, "...and instantly regretted it."  Like, "Watch Man Confront US Marine over Flag and Instantly Regret It."  How many people fall for that crap?  

Or "Shows That Have Been Cancelled" and they have a picture of some extremely popular show, which of course has not been cancelled.  They just want you to click through a slide show.   

Or the king of them all, "Motley Fool Issues Rare All-In Buy Alert"  which I have seen for SEVERAL YEARS.  How can this "All-In Buy Alert" be RARE if it's been running for SEVERAL YEARS???

Or the one I have fallen for several times: "Historical Photos."  The link includes a very interesting photo that draws me in because I want to know more about it, but 50 slides later, it isn't in there.

The fact that these types of things continue to flourish on the internet makes me believe there is a very large population of unintelligent, gullible people out there, who somehow manage to boot up a computer and surf around.

I'm reading a book about James Jesse Strang, a con artist in the 1840s who skipped town in upstate New York, leaving behind all sorts of debts and angry people, moved 600 miles to the West, and started a religious movement, naming himself king.  He had 12,000 followers even though to you and me, it would be obvious he based his movement on forgeries and lies.  People fall for all sorts of stupid crap and it hasn't stopped to this day.  We are stuck on a planet that is populated in large part by complete IDIOTS.

(07-17-2020, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Ads or links or videos that have a title that includes, "You won't believe what happened next."   Or, "...and instantly regretted it."  Like, "Watch Man Confront US Marine over Flag and Instantly Regret It."  How many people fall for that crap?  

Or "Shows That Have Been Cancelled" and they have a picture of some extremely popular show, which of course has not been cancelled.  They just want you to click through a slide show.   

Or the king of them all, "Motley Fool Issues Rare All-In Buy Alert"  which I have seen for SEVERAL YEARS.  How can this "All-In Buy Alert" be RARE if it's been running for SEVERAL YEARS???

Or the one I have fallen for several times: "Historical Photos."  The link includes a very interesting photo that draws me in because I want to know more about it, but 50 slides later, it isn't in there.

The fact that these types of things continue to flourish on the internet makes me believe there is a very large population of unintelligent, gullible people out there, who somehow manage to boot up a computer and surf around.

I'm reading a book about James Jesse Strang, a con artist in the 1840s who skipped town in upstate New York, leaving behind all sorts of debts and angry people, moved 600 miles to the West, and started a religious movement, naming himself king.  He had 12,000 followers even though to you and me, it would be obvious he based his movement on forgeries and lies.  People fall for all sorts of stupid crap and it hasn't stopped to this day.  We are stuck on a planet that is populated in large part by complete IDIOTS.

It’s called clickbait for a reason. If you see it listed under “Sponsored Content”, avoid it.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2020, 07:16 AM by The Real Marty.)

(07-17-2020, 07:02 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 06:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Ads or links or videos that have a title that includes, "You won't believe what happened next."   Or, "...and instantly regretted it."  Like, "Watch Man Confront US Marine over Flag and Instantly Regret It."  How many people fall for that crap?  

It’s called clickbait for a reason. If you see it listed under “Sponsored Content”, avoid it.

I know that.  I just can't believe that a) people fall for it and b) no one calls out the websites that allow it to run.  Most of it is absolutely false advertising.

As long as I'm on a rant- if you listen to sports talk radio, the hosts will complain to high heaven when they think someone has lied, but in the next minute, they will run an advertisement for some snake oil that supposedly cures ED, or baldness, or prostate problems.  I guess money talks a lot louder than honor or honesty.

(07-17-2020, 06:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote: Have you tried beating it out of him? I don’t mean in a serous fashion. But ya know, the good old school parental method that worked for ages before that got ‘banned’?

His mother wasn’t allowed to act like that. I’ll leave it there.

''No, that's not yours, you can't play with it."
"No, you can't pick it up and just look at it."
"Don't touch it, just leave it there."
"I told you not to touch it."
"Take your hands off that."
"I told you not to touch it.  Put it back."
"Don't you run off with that.  Get back here this instant!"
"You come back here."
"If you don't bring that back right now, you're going to be in big trouble!"
''I'm going to count to three."
"One......''
"Two...........don't you throw that.  If you throw it you're going to be in so much trouble......."
"Three.'
"I told you not to throw it.  Go pick it up."
''If you don't pick that up, you're not getting ice cream."
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 05:10 AM by The Real Marty.)

"Log in or sign up"

(What the... why am I no longer logged in.  Oh, well...)

(I enter my login)

"Invalid user name or password"

(Huh?  That's my user name and password.  What the heck?)

"Click here if you forgot your password"

(I click there)

"Enter email address to recover or reset password"

(I enter my email address)

"Email address not on file"  

(Okay, then I'll just sign up with that email address)

(I enter email address and click sign up)

"That email address belongs to a registered user"

(I try to sign up with a different email address)

"Sign in with Facebook or Twitter"

(I click on Facebook)

"Log into Facebook"  

(I give up)

(I decide not to give up)

"Sign up"

(I go through the sign up process including creating a password)

(I click enter)

"404 Not found"

This was not this message board, by the way.

When I wake up at the same time on a Saturday as I do on a work day. I swear, I think I'm incapable of 'sleeping in' anymore.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2020, 07:43 AM by homebiscuit.)

(07-18-2020, 04:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: "Log in or sign up"

(What the... why am I no longer logged in.  Oh, well...)

(I enter my login)

"Invalid user name or password"

(Huh?  That's my user name and password.  What the heck?)

"Click here if you forgot your password"

(I click there)

"Enter email address to recover or reset password"

(I enter my email address)

"Email address not on file"  

(Okay, then I'll just sign up with that email address)

(I enter email address and click sign up)

(I try to sign up with a different email address)

"Sign in with Facebook or Twitter"

(I click on Facebook)

"Log into Facebook"  

(I give up)

(I decide not to give up)

"Sign up"

(I go through the sign up process including creating a password)

(I click enter)

"404 Not found"

This was not this message board, by the way.

I warned you about that clickbait, Marty. Wink

(07-17-2020, 08:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 06:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: His mother wasn’t allowed to act like that. I’ll leave it there.

"You come back here."
"One......''
"Two...........don't you throw that.  If you throw it you're going to be in so much trouble......."
"Three.'

Lol. Yep (sigh). They need some belt time.

(07-17-2020, 08:40 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 06:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: His mother wasn’t allowed to act like that. I’ll leave it there.

"You come back here."
"One......''
"Three.'

I would say after the third one my mom would have laid down the law but I don't remember her being the 'three strikes and you're out' type. She probably stopped us at two.

I remember having to go outside to cut the switch that would be used to stripe my hide. And belts. And Hot Wheels tracks; a legacy of that timeless toy that seems to never be mentioned in all the glowing TV stories.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020, 07:29 AM by The Real Marty.)

What's starting to annoy me a bit is my own mediocrity in things.  Whether it's golf, or learning to play the piano, or chess, I am so average it's kind of deflating.  

The one that really bugs me is chess, because I consider myself a smart person and chess should be right up my alley.  But after playing 2,335 games in the last 12 months on chess.com, I am stuck right where I was 6 months ago.  My rating is still in the 1200-1300 range, which chess.com says is in the 75th percentile.  That sounds okay, until you consider that players at the 50th percentile and below are probably people who played a few times and quit.   

If I had started chess, and piano, and golf, when I was a small child, I suppose I would be a lot better.   Maybe I'm just too old to get better at things.

(07-26-2020, 07:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What's starting to annoy me a bit is my own mediocrity in things.  Whether it's golf, or learning to play the piano, or chess, I am so average it's kind of deflating.  

The one that really bugs me is chess, because I consider myself a smart person and chess should be right up my alley.  But after playing 2,335 games in the last 12 months on chess.com, I am stuck right where I was 6 months ago.  My rating is still in the 1200-1300 range, which chess.com says is in the 75th percentile.  That sounds okay, until you consider that players at the 50th percentile and below are probably people who played a few times and quit.   

If I had started chess, and piano, and golf, when I was a small child, I suppose I would be a lot better.   Maybe I'm just too old to get better at things.

Stop man, those are skills that require a particular talent. Not everyone gets the same talents and you cannot work yourself into greatness at something for which you lack the talent.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-26-2020, 07:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 07:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What's starting to annoy me a bit is my own mediocrity in things.  Whether it's golf, or learning to play the piano, or chess, I am so average it's kind of deflating.  

Stop man, those are skills that require a particular talent. Not everyone gets the same talents and you cannot work yourself into greatness at something for which you lack the talent.

Google "Michael Jordan trying to hit a curveball"" for additional information.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(07-26-2020, 09:39 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 07:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Stop man, those are skills that require a particular talent. Not everyone gets the same talents and you cannot work yourself into greatness at something for which you lack the talent.

Google "Michael Jordan trying to hit a curveball"" for additional information.

I'm like Michael Jordan!   I feel much better now!   Thanks!

I would be a happy man if only I could become consistently good at golf. It's a fun game when you're playing well. Unfortunately for me, it becomes frustratingly not fun too many times. The hard part is that you feel you're doing everything right and the same as when the game was fun, but something is off and you can't figure it out. Then again, I've never taken lessons. That's what I should do. 

Also, why in the hell is soccer being shown on the Golf Channel right now???

David Fincher sucks. He's the guy behind the excellent Netflix series Mindhunter. A series that is delayed indefinitely and the three main characters released from their contracts because the idiot decided to follow other projects. Dude, you had a great freaking project and you left people hanging on that BTK storyline you had us following bits and pieces of for two seasons! 

What a jerk.