Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(10-31-2020, 09:56 PM)enigma Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 08:34 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Watching tonight's game, Ohio St passing offense is so elementary,  ( predetermined passes, one read)  why would any qb who has aspirations to play in the nfl go there. Jaguars draft Fields, 5 more seasons of suckiness.

I hope you are paying close attention to the ball placement of his throws.

Doesn't matter what the "read schedule" is. He can put the ball where it needs to be in addition to making the right read.

Lawrence and Fields are both franchise Qbs coming out this year.

I agree with your observations on Fields. The guy has a great arm and can make all the throws. Herbstreit noted that Fields has improved aspects of his game this season such as seeing the field better and pocket presence. If the Jaguars don't get Lawrence, I am confident that Fields would be a great "consolation prize."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Zach Wilson doing more Zach Wilson things again. It’s against WKU but he’s absolutely shredding them and showing excellent mobility

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2020, 11:19 PM by enigma.)

(10-31-2020, 10:56 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 10:24 PM)JackCity Wrote: Watson had similar critiques to Fields coming out, mostly from people who didn't watch him closely

That argument isn't going to get you very far on here. I've seen more than a few people suddenly crediting all of Watson's success to Hopkins and now he is just average at best.

Doesn't help when his offensive line is 27th in the league in pass protection and their rushing offense is 25th.

Also doesn't help that your all-pro WR got traded away for some nuts.

Justin Fields is a 6’3” 230lb Kyler Murray. He would be the #1 pick in 70-80% of drafts.

Yeah I mentioned it already but the only cause for concern with Fields is the lack of tight window passing in the middle of the field because it basically doesn't exist in that offense BUT it's also very easy to see Fields has high level placement and accuracy so should be fine long term in that skill.

(10-31-2020, 11:10 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 09:56 PM)enigma Wrote: I hope you are paying close attention to the ball placement of his throws.

Doesn't matter what the "read schedule" is. He can put the ball where it needs to be in addition to making the right read.

Lawrence and Fields are both franchise Qbs coming out this year.

I agree with your observations on Fields. The guy has a great arm and can make all the throws. Herbstreit noted that Fields has improved aspects of his game this season such as seeing the field better and pocket presence. If the Jaguars don't get Lawrence, I am confident that Fields would be a great "consolation prize."

I agree.  I would be very happy with Fields.  He has the arm, the athleticism, and the accuracy you need in an NFL QB.

I didn't get to watch the game because of halloween family stuff, but twitter was repeatedly pointing out how much pass rush Fields was facing and it sounded like he did very well against it.

I havent watched much college football recently. How close in talent are Lawrence and Fields? Is there any chance at all that Fields goes 1st?

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2020, 10:52 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-02-2020, 06:46 AM)Ordar Wrote: I havent watched much college football recently. How close in talent are Lawrence and Fields? Is there any chance at all that Fields goes 1st?
As far as pro potential, they are not close at all. Lawrence is much better. TL has better ball placement, throws a tighter spiral, has better pocket awareness and throws darts into tighter windows. The only thing Fields is better at is running. Fields could go #1 if Lawrence pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to go to the Jets. That is a real possibility, but that's the only scenario where I see him going ahead of Lawrence.

(11-02-2020, 10:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 06:46 AM)Ordar Wrote: I havent watched much college football recently. How close in talent are Lawrence and Fields? Is there any chance at all that Fields goes 1st?
As far as pro potential, they are not close at all. Lawrence is much better. TL has better ball placement, throws a tighter spiral, has better pocket awareness and throws darts into tighter windows. The only thing Fields is better at is running. Fields could go #1 if Lawrence pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to go to the Jets. That is a real possibility, but that's the only scenario where I see him going ahead of Lawrence.

What about under pressure, as in unable to complete full mechanics?

(11-02-2020, 11:11 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 10:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: As far as pro potential, they are not close at all. Lawrence is much better. TL has better ball placement, throws a tighter spiral, has better pocket awareness and throws darts into tighter windows. The only thing Fields is better at is running. Fields could go #1 if Lawrence pulls an Eli Manning and refuses to go to the Jets. That is a real possibility, but that's the only scenario where I see him going ahead of Lawrence.

What about under pressure, as in unable to complete full mechanics?

Lawrence sticks in the pocket and seems to quickly go through his reads and releases the ball quickly. Sometimes he takes some hard hits after the ball is released, but I love his toughness. Fields has more of a slower windup, gets more nervous and doesn't always complete his reads, before taking off and running with the ball. I prefer QB's who have confidence in their own abilities to stick in the pocket, find the open receiver and deliver the football quickly, before getting hit. That's just my preference and it always will be.

Is Lawrence is that legit, and we’re picking. 2/3 how much do you offer the Jets.
Or do you just accept it and try and plug the millions of other holes in the team

(11-02-2020, 01:20 PM)Ordar Wrote: Is Lawrence is that legit, and we’re picking. 2/3 how much do you offer the Jets.
Or do you just accept it and try and plug the millions of other holes in the team

Not sure the Jets will even entertain offers for the pick.
If we're picking 2nd I'd be awfully tempted to take Sewell and go QB with the Rams pick in the 20s or the top of round 2. Wilson, Trask, or Jones are likely targets in those areas.

(11-02-2020, 01:20 PM)Ordar Wrote: Is Lawrence is that legit, and we’re picking. 2/3 how much do you offer the Jets.

I legit hate, trading up. I wouldn't do that. We have way too many holes to fill to be giving up draft picks. If we're picking 3rd and Lawrence and Sewell are gone, I DEFINITELY trade down. After Lawrence and Sewell, I don't see any other super elite players in this draft. That is not to say there won't be any great players left though. It looks to be a very deep draft, it's just that once you get passed Lawrence and Sewell, I don't see a huge difference between the players you get at pick #3 and pick #32, so I trade down and try to add a first round pick in 2022.  I then use the picks I have to fill as many holes as possible with the highest rated players on our board, regardless of position. Maybe we find a QB like Trask or Mac Jones, maybe we don't. If we don't I try to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick or Nate Sudfeld in free agency to a 1-2 year deal and have them compete with Minshew and Luton for the starting job in 2021. I then continue the QB search in the 2022 draft.

I hate trading up as well, but Lawrence is one guy I would trade up for. Jets would miss out on him though

(11-02-2020, 08:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I legit hate, trading up. I wouldn't do that. We have way too many holes to fill to be giving up draft picks. If we're picking 3rd and Lawrence and Sewell are gone, I DEFINITELY trade down. After Lawrence and Sewell, I don't see any other super elite players in this draft. That is not to say there won't be any great players left though. It looks to be a very deep draft, it's just that once you get passed Lawrence and Sewell, I don't see a huge difference between the players you get at pick #3 and pick #32, so I trade down and try to add a first round pick in 2022.  I then use the picks I have to fill as many holes as possible with the highest rated players on our board, regardless of position. Maybe we find a QB like Trask or Mac Jones, maybe we don't. If we don't I try to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick or Nate Sudfeld in free agency to a 1-2 year deal and have them compete with Minshew and Luton for the starting job in 2021. I then continue the QB search in the 2022 draft.

If we pass on Justin Fields and go into next season with Minshew, Luton and Sudfeld or Fitzpatrick as our QBs, I will seriously question our new front office.

(11-02-2020, 11:26 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 08:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I legit hate, trading up. I wouldn't do that. We have way too many holes to fill to be giving up draft picks. If we're picking 3rd and Lawrence and Sewell are gone, I DEFINITELY trade down. After Lawrence and Sewell, I don't see any other super elite players in this draft. That is not to say there won't be any great players left though. It looks to be a very deep draft, it's just that once you get passed Lawrence and Sewell, I don't see a huge difference between the players you get at pick #3 and pick #32, so I trade down and try to add a first round pick in 2022.  I then use the picks I have to fill as many holes as possible with the highest rated players on our board, regardless of position. Maybe we find a QB like Trask or Mac Jones, maybe we don't. If we don't I try to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick or Nate Sudfeld in free agency to a 1-2 year deal and have them compete with Minshew and Luton for the starting job in 2021. I then continue the QB search in the 2022 draft.

If we pass on Justin Fields and go into next season with Minshew, Luton and Sudfeld or Fitzpatrick as our QBs, I will seriously question our new front office.

If we take Fields, I will openly call for who ever is in charge to be fired.

Sewell and Wilson 2021 LFG!

(11-02-2020, 11:31 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-02-2020, 11:26 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: If we pass on Justin Fields and go into next season with Minshew, Luton and Sudfeld or Fitzpatrick as our QBs, I will seriously question our new front office.

If we take Fields, I will openly call for who ever is in charge to be fired.

You are really digging your heels in on this anti-Fields thing and I respect it. It certainly won’t be the first time that the majority was wrong about a player. I remember feeling like the only person in the football world who thought Blaine Gabbert would be a bust and being furious when the Jaguars traded up and drafted him. Honestly, I think this is one of the better QB drafts in recent history. I could see there being 5 or so first round picks with all of them having success in the league. If we end up with a guy like Sewell or Rousseau and a QB like Jones (who happens to be my #3 QB at the moment) I won’t be upset. However with the picks we have in this draft, if we don’t come away with a potential franchise QB, I’ll lose a lot of faith in the new front office.

I hated the Blaine Gabbert pick as well. He was not ready to enter the draft and should’ve stayed in school. He had a bad habit of locking into receivers with his eyes and totally cutting off his reads to go with his first option. DB’s read him like a book.