Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2020 Presidental Election

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 11:27 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-24-2020, 11:41 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 08:46 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That wasn’t my question.

What do you honestly think is going to happen? Do you think the results of the election are going to be overturned? How many times have you posted something similar to this only to have the courts throw out the case or it be a bunch of nothing?
Right now I don't know until I see the evidence. There have been some broad statements from some powerful people. There also has been a rush to move on before anything hits the courts. The civil side of the lawsuits was never going to be decided until the SCOTUS. The judges at the lower levels were never going to enforce the law. No with criminal side coming, it could be big enough to overturn states. Give it time and see what evidence they file.

There have been some moves by Trump to consolidate power under people he trusts. The military and space force have cyber security under them. There are claims that they watched it happen in real-time.

Either the evidence is going to be so bad that it can't be ignored or it will be just like every other swamp illegal activities and nothing will happen.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

You should have stopped right there.

(11-25-2020, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I just appreciate the irony in that the same people preaching for $15 an hour minimum wage are also fine with giving amnesty to millions of undocumented workers who will eventually do their jobs for half the price. 

Just gotta get used to the "America Last" agenda of the Obama administration.

Minimum wage laws were racist to start with and similarly bigoted now. They only exist to keep one group of people from working for lower wages in order to protect the jobs of a different group of people who won't work for that wage.

LMAO... what?  You need to explain that point of view deeper because it just sounds like crazy Libertarian "all laws and regulations are bad for society" talk there.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-25-2020, 11:17 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The mail in ballots are a massive issue which clearly favors one party. That is the problem. Georgians don't HAVE to show up for the runoff. The Republicans don't have the financial backing like the other party. They can literally fund this like a presidential election. This country is in desperate need of campaign finance reform either way.

So back to this topic, I checked my mail yesterday and found these:

[Image: CDnN8lW.jpg]

So, two things of note:

1. The postmarks are from MA and CA. Just pointing that out before anyone else does.

2. One was so kind as to include a stamped ballot request envelope in with the letter from the county Democratic Party that happens to be based in MA. But still--Georgia is a nonpartisan state as far as voter registration is concerned. Those flyers and letters went to everyone, at least everyone in certain counties that lean left. Why is the Republican Party not calling and texting me saying "make those idiots pay to send you an absentee ballot that you use to vote for us"? Why did I just get the first Republican campaign flyer I've ever seen that mentioned early voting, even if it was in tiny letters below "VOTE JANUARY 5TH"? There is a game here to be played. The 2020 Presidential election proved it, and this country isn't going back to the traditional stand in line on November Xth model again. Why didn't the Republican Party embrace that the way Democrats did? Answer that question and you'll know why Trump got his [BLEEP] handed to him 306 times.

I have a fundamental problem with this whole process. I feel voting should be 100% voluntary. Sure, social media can encourage you to vote and continue to hammer the importance of voting, but the stuff you showed is a step too far.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 11:32 AM by mikesez.)

(11-25-2020, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:02 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I just appreciate the irony in that the same people preaching for $15 an hour minimum wage are also fine with giving amnesty to millions of undocumented workers who will eventually do their jobs for half the price. 

Just gotta get used to the "America Last" agenda of the Obama administration.

Minimum wage laws were racist to start with and similarly bigoted now. They only exist to keep one group of people from working for lower wages in order to protect the jobs of a different group of people who won't work for that wage.

Not for nothing, aren't you overdue for a session?
You know I always have an opening for you.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-25-2020, 11:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:17 AM)TJBender Wrote: So back to this topic, I checked my mail yesterday and found these:

So, two things of note:

1. The postmarks are from MA and CA. Just pointing that out before anyone else does.

2. One was so kind as to include a stamped ballot request envelope in with the letter from the county Democratic Party that happens to be based in MA. But still--Georgia is a nonpartisan state as far as voter registration is concerned. Those flyers and letters went to everyone, at least everyone in certain counties that lean left. Why is the Republican Party not calling and texting me saying "make those idiots pay to send you an absentee ballot that you use to vote for us"? Why did I just get the first Republican campaign flyer I've ever seen that mentioned early voting, even if it was in tiny letters below "VOTE JANUARY 5TH"? There is a game here to be played. The 2020 Presidential election proved it, and this country isn't going back to the traditional stand in line on November Xth model again. Why didn't the Republican Party embrace that the way Democrats did? Answer that question and you'll know why Trump got his [BLEEP] handed to him 306 times.

I have a fundamental problem with this whole process. I feel voting should be 100% voluntary. Sure, social media can encourage you to vote and continue to hammer the importance of voting, but the stuff you showed is a step too far.

So you have a problem with fellow AMERICANS influencing others in a different state to vote, but you take no issue with FOREIGNERS (i.e. Russians) coordinating with an American presidential campaign to influence the thoughts and minds of voters?  Interesting perspective, comrade.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(11-25-2020, 11:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:17 AM)TJBender Wrote: So back to this topic, I checked my mail yesterday and found these:

So, two things of note:

It's still voluntary though. All these guys are doing is sending out a ballot request form, not a ballot. The ballot request form is not pre-filled (just checked)--if it was, I'd have a huge problem with that, because that is getting close to territory we shouldn't be near.

Honestly, my only real problem with it is that these letters are coming from MA and CA and are for a GA-specific election. One of them is even made up to look like it's coming from just down the street, and if you don't see the postmark, you'd never know. You and I never disagreed on the need for campaign finance reform. PACs and super PACs need to be a thing of the past, with a hard cap on campaign donations that applies to individuals, charities and companies across the board. But sending letters to voters, even sending them a blank ballot request and a SASE isn't too far for me.

I'm just glad we don't have to see the all of the political signs lining up our streets.

(11-25-2020, 11:17 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:56 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The mail in ballots are a massive issue which clearly favors one party. That is the problem. Georgians don't HAVE to show up for the runoff. The Republicans don't have the financial backing like the other party. They can literally fund this like a presidential election. This country is in desperate need of campaign finance reform either way.

So back to this topic, I checked my mail yesterday and found these:

So, two things of note:

That's brilliant, actually. It's a judo match. Use those ballot requests to vote Republican and let it be known far and wide on social media what you're doing. That would be hilarious. 

Rather than beat them at their own game, the Republicans waste this opportunity by trying to paint it as corrupt. They'll learn eventually.

(11-25-2020, 10:34 AM)copycat Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Minimum wage laws were racist to start with and similarly bigoted now. They only exist to keep one group of people from working for lower wages in order to protect the jobs of a different group of people who won't work for that wage.

Huh?

A primer on the issue from a respected economist.

https://nypost.com/2013/09/17/why-racist...wage-laws/

FTA:

"In 1925, a minimum-wage law was passed in the Canadian province of British Columbia, with the intent and effect of pricing Japanese immigrants out of jobs in the lumbering industry.

A Harvard professor of that era referred approvingly to Australia’s minimum wage law as a means to “protect the white Australian’s standard of living from the invidious competition of the colored races, particularly of the Chinese” who were willing to work for less.

In South Africa during the era of apartheid, white labor unions urged that a minimum-wage law be applied to all races, to keep black workers from taking jobs away from white unionized workers by working for less than the union pay scale.

Some supporters of the first federal minimum-wage law in the United States — the Davis-Bacon Act of 1931 — used exactly the same rationale, citing the fact that Southern construction companies, using non-union black workers, were able to come north and underbid construction companies using unionized white labor."

Minimum wage laws originated in race-based protectionism.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-25-2020, 12:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:34 AM)copycat Wrote: Huh?

FTA:

"In 1925, a minimum-wage law was passed in the Canadian province of British Columbia, with the intent and effect of pricing Japanese immigrants out of jobs in the lumbering industry.

A Harvard professor of that era referred approvingly to Australia’s minimum wage law as a means to “protect the white Australian’s standard of living from the invidious competition of the colored races, particularly of the Chinese” who were willing to work for less.

In South Africa during the era of apartheid, white labor unions urged that a minimum-wage law be applied to all races, to keep black workers from taking jobs away from white unionized workers by working for less than the union pay scale.

Some supporters of the first federal minimum-wage law in the United States — the Davis-Bacon Act of 1931 — used exactly the same rationale, citing the fact that Southern construction companies, using non-union black workers, were able to come north and underbid construction companies using unionized white labor."

[Image: aaron-paul-mind-blown.gif]

(11-25-2020, 12:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:34 AM)copycat Wrote: Huh?

FTA:

So what?
Are you arguing that any policy category that was ever tied in to racial discrimination should be abandoned?
I don't think you are.

(11-25-2020, 01:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 12:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: A primer on the issue from a respected economist.

FTA:

So what?
Are you arguing that any policy category that was ever tied in to racial discrimination should be abandoned?
I don't think you are.

I'm simply stating that government control of wages has been and continues to be used as a hammer against less favored groups. And the lefties who instituted it did it because they were racists, just like that [BLEEP] Sanger who started Planned Parenthood. Under their claim of humanitarianism lies black hearted evil that they truly believe is good.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-25-2020, 01:48 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 12:39 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: A primer on the issue from a respected economist.

FTA:

So what?
I don't think you are.

Isn't that what the woke and cancel culture are all about?

(11-25-2020, 01:59 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 01:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: So what?
I don't think you are.

Isn't that what the woke and cancel culture are all about?

Ask someone who advocates for those things.
Let's act like educated people.  Educated people know that there is a lot of racism in the history of any former colony.
So any policy they've had for a while probably had a racist aspect to it.
Yes, let's discuss that, let's tell the truth.
But, we only have to change those policies if they are still racist in their effect today.

(11-25-2020, 02:18 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 01:59 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Isn't that what the woke and cancel culture are all about?

Ask someone who advocates for those things.
Let's act like educated people.  Educated people know that there is a lot of racism in the history of any former colony.
So any policy they've had for a while probably had a racist aspect to it.
Yes, let's discuss that, let's tell the truth.
But, we only have to change those policies if they are still racist in their effect today.

Do we? Is racism the only reason we should eliminate bad policy?

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 03:47 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-25-2020, 01:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 01:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: So what?
I don't think you are.

I'm simply stating that government control of wages has been and continues to be used as a hammer against less favored groups. And the lefties who instituted it did it because they were racists, just like that [BLEEP] Sanger who started Planned Parenthood. Under their claim of humanitarianism lies black hearted evil that they truly believe is good.

You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  Meaning if a piece of legislation was initially presented and tainted with the notion of racism, that doesn't mean those policies are still inherently racist today; and they may be the exact opposite.  You need to look at the context of the laws today, rather than their historical origin, to make that determination.  If not, then you would be suggesting the US Constitution should be tossed out because it contained the "three-fifths" clause and was written by a bunch of slave-owning racists. You need to amend the legislation to continuously improve and apply it in an updated context.

The same thing is still occurring today. Not with race, but with class. Big companies benefit from minimum wage laws, because it tanks their future competition, small businesses.

The broader point is that minimum wage laws prop up one group at the expense of another. Race is irrelevant.

(11-25-2020, 03:53 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The same thing is still occurring today. Not with race, but with class. Big companies benefit from minimum wage laws, because it tanks their future competition, small businesses.

The broader point is that minimum wage laws prop up one group at the expense of another. Race is irrelevant.

Ding ding ding.

(11-25-2020, 03:53 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The same thing is still occurring today. Not with race, but with class. Big companies benefit from minimum wage laws, because it tanks their future competition, small businesses.

I agree with that to some extent from the perspective of small business owners vs. corporations.  But I am also a believer that minimum standards are required for laborers and that includes a fair minimum wage; you don't want sweat shops at work here.  Its a balancing act that is often difficult to pinpoint where the precise point of fairness is.  It requires negotiation, and ultimately, legislation.

I don't know that we need minimum wage laws, but at the same time, I believe you can only trust the free market to the degree that's it's free. The government needs to use it's powers to ensure that corporations can't cooperate to oppress their labor market. That can't happen when they are working together.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 04:24 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-25-2020, 04:14 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't know that we need minimum wage laws, but at the same time, I believe you can only trust the free market to the degree that's it's free. The government needs to use it's powers to ensure that corporations can't cooperate to oppress their labor market. That can't happen when they are working together.

That is exactly why you need labor laws... because free market capitalism has shown it will not behave fairly on its own.  It will invariably require a degree of regulation.  The argument is, and always will be, how much?  I don't think a minimum wage requirement is too much... even for small businesses to compete.  I am a small business owner and I am of the mindset that if you can't afford to pay your employees at least a minimum wage, your business would not be successful anyway.