Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(12-14-2020, 02:39 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 11:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Five Guys restaurants are the worst because of their industrial design. The burgers are awesome, the ambient noise becomes unbearable after a while.

All La Nopalera restaurants are like this too I’ve noticed! You can’t even hear yourself think in them...or maybe that because of the tequila. Tomato/tomahto

If the loud sounds are your own voice, it’s the tequila.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-13-2020, 09:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 08:36 PM)Jags Wrote: Whaaaaat???? I won’t judge, you seem to be an audiophile.   That’s cool.  But what in the world did you just say?

Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.
Ahh... so that’s what all that stuff was for.  I was looking to build a small box to contain noise for something I was trying to do.  Searched and all I found was the stuff mentioned above.   Knew it was for music/recording but wasn’t sure they had more purpose than just for “sound proofing” a studio.  Makes a little more sense. 

Also explains the loud restaurant thing.  I always wondered why they could get so loud if everyone would talk at a normal level.  Didn’t know the walls and layout were contributing to it.

(12-14-2020, 04:45 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 09:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.
Ahh... so that’s what all that stuff was for.  I was looking to build a small box to contain noise for something I was trying to do.  Searched and all I found was the stuff mentioned above.   Knew it was for music/recording but wasn’t sure they had more purpose than just for “sound proofing” a studio.  Makes a little more sense. 

Also explains the loud restaurant thing.  I always wondered why they could get so loud if everyone would talk at a normal level.  Didn’t know the walls and layout were contributing to it.

They're called coffins  Ninja

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 05:36 PM by Jags.)

(12-14-2020, 05:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 04:45 PM)Jags Wrote: Ahh... so that’s what all that stuff was for.  I was looking to build a small box to contain noise for something I was trying to do.  Searched and all I found was the stuff mentioned above.   Knew it was for music/recording but wasn’t sure they had more purpose than just for “sound proofing” a studio.  Makes a little more sense. 

They're called coffins  Ninja
Lol, I knew someone would take it that way.  Yes, I want to contain noise but nothing that sinister.  I bought a couple “quiet” air rifles.  A .22 and a .30.  Both break barrels.  Boy did I not realize just how far these things changed since I was a kid.  Both are sub sonic but all the noise is coming from the piston/spring. Not much noise from the muzzle.  Even built a silent trap for the pellets which works great.  Whatever, it’s “childish” and cool at the same time.  Fun for times I can’t get to the range or go broke buying ammo. That is if you can find it.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 06:59 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(12-14-2020, 04:45 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 09:08 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Consider yourself sitting in a room facing an audio source. There are two paths from the speaker to your ears; one directly from the speaker to your ears, the other from the speaker, then off the walls, then to your ears. The latter is called room reflections. And these reflections reach your ear slightly later than the direct path. Due to phase cancellation, a comb filtering effect happens, similar to what's heard with audio phaser effects. Bass and lower mid-range frequencies can build up in what's called room modes. This is because the are natural resonances in any room. Basically, a room can become a speaker as it moves with the audio being played in it.

For recording music, that stuff is essential. If you can't hear the material properly, you can't expect to mix and master it properly. For just listening to music, it's really a luxury. But if you ever get to sit in a well treated room with quality equipment, you'd most certainly hear the difference. 

Regarding restaurants, one other thing that adds to the noise are places that play music. And I'm becoming convinced a lot of those have systems that detect the dB level in the room and adjusts the volume accordingly. And that creates a snowball effect as people start talking louder, the music gets louder, the people talk louder, and on until the place is roaring.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 07:27 PM by Jags.)

(12-14-2020, 06:56 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 04:45 PM)Jags Wrote: Ahh... so that’s what all that stuff was for.  I was looking to build a small box to contain noise for something I was trying to do.  Searched and all I found was the stuff mentioned above.   Knew it was for music/recording but wasn’t sure they had more purpose than just for “sound proofing” a studio.  Makes a little more sense. 

For recording music, that stuff is essential. If you can't hear the material properly, you can't expect to mix and master it properly. For just listening to music, it's really a luxury. But if you ever get to sit in a well treated room with quality equipment, you'd most certainly hear the difference. 

Regarding restaurants, one other thing that adds to the noise are places that play music. And I'm becoming convinced a lot of those have systems that detect the dB level in the room and adjusts the volume accordingly. And that creates a snowball effect as people start talking louder, the music gets louder, the people talk louder, and on until the place is roaring.
I got that impression.  But didn’t look too much into it.  Wasn’t my goal at the time.  But it makes a lot of sense.  If you or any others can suggest a decent sound bar though, at a decent price, I’d be much obliged.  I paid way too much for a sound bar/ sub and was well disappointing.  I had a decent one I was happy with.  It was a Polk that I got from a dish guy that had an extra on his van(he was already scheduled to come out, no I don’t buy speakers from the guy in the van) He tried selling it to me.  I told him I’d buy it at 100 (he was asking 150) if he still had it at the end of the day.  After we upgraded the TV I bought the matching sound bar and such and worked great right away and gave the old one to a family member.  I will not spend that kind of money again so something decent (not WOW!) at a reasonable price. Sure I like the “boom” of the bass and the “tiss” of the treble.  But I’d settle for something better than the flat screen speakers.  Something a little more “fuller”.

(12-14-2020, 05:35 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They're called coffins  Ninja
Lol, I knew someone would take it that way.  Yes, I want to contain noise but nothing that sinister.  I bought a couple “quiet” air rifles.  A .22 and a .30.  Both break barrels.  Boy did I not realize just how far these things changed since I was a kid.  Both are sub sonic but all the noise is coming from the piston/spring. Not much noise from the muzzle.  Even built a silent trap for the pellets which works great.  Whatever, it’s “childish” and cool at the same time.  Fun for times I can’t get to the range or go broke buying ammo. That is if you can find it.

The noise that you hear from a firearm doesn't come from the muzzle (for the most part).  It's mostly the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  If you put a "silencer" on a typical AR-15 (.223 or 5.56) it will make it quieter, but you will still hear a loud "crack" which is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  The only way to overcome that is to use the same caliber bullet in a slower load (a .22 in your case).

By the way, I have a .22 air rifle that my grandson and I used to shoot in my back yard.  His dad just bought him a .22LR which we only shoot in my "back yard" out on my property.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 08:21 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(12-14-2020, 07:25 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 06:56 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: For recording music, that stuff is essential. If you can't hear the material properly, you can't expect to mix and master it properly. For just listening to music, it's really a luxury. But if you ever get to sit in a well treated room with quality equipment, you'd most certainly hear the difference. 

I got that impression.  But didn’t look too much into it.  Wasn’t my goal at the time.  But it makes a lot of sense.  If you or any others can suggest a decent sound bar though, at a decent price, I’d be much obliged.  I paid way too much for a sound bar/ sub and was well disappointing.  I had a decent one I was happy with.  It was a Polk that I got from a dish guy that had an extra on his van(he was already scheduled to come out, no I don’t buy speakers from the guy in the van) He tried selling it to me.  I told him I’d buy it at 100 (he was asking 150) if he still had it at the end of the day.  After we upgraded the TV I bought the matching sound bar and such and worked great right away and gave the old one to a family member.  I will not spend that kind of money again so something decent (not WOW!) at a reasonable price. Sure I like the “boom” of the bass and the “tiss” of the treble.  But I’d settle for something better than the flat screen speakers.  Something a little more “fuller”.

I can't help with a soundbar as I have no experience with them (but see below). My advice, though, for buying audio equipment is to use your ears. By that I mean go somewhere as listen to some. Don’t buy online based on some recommendation(s). To me, audio equipment is something you have to hear to make a decision on.

And just for fun, here's a recommendation. Sennheiser makes some pretty awesome microphones, so this is probably pretty killer. "Fuller" is what it would give you.

https://www.audioadvice.com/sennheiser-a...fkQAvD_BwE

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 08:46 PM by Jags.)

(12-14-2020, 07:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Lol, I knew someone would take it that way.  Yes, I want to contain noise but nothing that sinister.  I bought a couple “quiet” air rifles.  A .22 and a .30.  Both break barrels.  Boy did I not realize just how far these things changed since I was a kid.  Both are sub sonic but all the noise is coming from the piston/spring. Not much noise from the muzzle.  Even built a silent trap for the pellets which works great.  Whatever, it’s “childish” and cool at the same time.  Fun for times I can’t get to the range or go broke buying ammo. That is if you can find it.

The noise that you hear from a firearm doesn't come from the muzzle (for the most part).  It's mostly the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  If you put a "silencer" on a typical AR-15 (.223 or 5.56) it will make it quieter, but you will still hear a loud "crack" which is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  The only way to overcome that is to use the same caliber bullet in a slower load (a .22 in your case).

By the way, I have a .22 air rifle that my grandson and I used to shoot in my back yard.  His dad just bought him a .22LR which we only shoot in my "back yard" out on my property.

I bought these two air rifles due to them both being “quiet”.  Neither of the pellets should be breaking the sound barrier.  Part of why I chose them.  I did many tests measuring the decibels from various locations.  I can 100% say I’m not hearing the crack of the pellets breaking the sound barrier.  It’s all the action.  Quite a let down.  I wanted something fun to shoot in the backyard.  And since they technically aren’t “firearms” I should be good depending on the officer that may arrive if one of my two neighbors [BLEEP].   I’ve done sound tests outside my fence.  Honestly, it’s one of those things to where I know what I’m doing and feel paranoid.  Not so much of it sounds like I’m “shooting firearms”.  Although the .22 almost sounds like an actual .22 being fired.  A bit loud.  I wanted to build a box I can keep the rifles in and lean into to absorb the spring/piston noise.  All my tests and ears tells me it’s the piston/spring not the muzzle.

(12-14-2020, 08:21 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 07:25 PM)Jags Wrote: I got that impression.  But didn’t look too much into it.  Wasn’t my goal at the time.  But it makes a lot of sense.  If you or any others can suggest a decent sound bar though, at a decent price, I’d be much obliged.  I paid way too much for a sound bar/ sub and was well disappointing.  I had a decent one I was happy with.  It was a Polk that I got from a dish guy that had an extra on his van(he was already scheduled to come out, no I don’t buy speakers from the guy in the van) He tried selling it to me.  I told him I’d buy it at 100 (he was asking 150) if he still had it at the end of the day.  After we upgraded the TV I bought the matching sound bar and such and worked great right away and gave the old one to a family member.  I will not spend that kind of money again so something decent (not WOW!) at a reasonable price. Sure I like the “boom” of the bass and the “tiss” of the treble.  But I’d settle for something better than the flat screen speakers.  Something a little more “fuller”.

I can't help with a soundbar as I have no experience with them (but see below). My advice, though, for buying audio equipment is to use your ears. By that I mean go somewhere as listen to some. Don’t buy online based on some recommendation(s). To me, audio equipment is something you have to hear to make a decision on.

And just for fun, here's a recommendation. Sennheiser makes some pretty awesome microphones, so this is probably pretty killer. "Fuller" is what it would give you.

Ha, I appreciate it.  But at 2500.00 that’s about a grand more than the one I’m replacing.  Also, perhaps it’s just me, but I do have a hard time in stores comparing different sound bars.  They have their special setups and such to show it off.  Sometimes it’s hard to figure out how well it would sound at home

(12-14-2020, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 07:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The noise that you hear from a firearm doesn't come from the muzzle (for the most part).  It's mostly the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  If you put a "silencer" on a typical AR-15 (.223 or 5.56) it will make it quieter, but you will still hear a loud "crack" which is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  The only way to overcome that is to use the same caliber bullet in a slower load (a .22 in your case).

I bought these two air rifles due to them both being “quiet”.  Neither of the pellets should be breaking the sound barrier.  Part of why I chose them.  I did many tests measuring the decibels from various locations.  I can 100% say I’m not hearing the crack of the pellets breaking the sound barrier.  It’s all the action.  Quite a let down.  I wanted something fun to shoot in the backyard.  And since they technically aren’t “firearms” I should be good depending on the officer that may arrive if one of my two neighbors [BLEEP].   I’ve done sound tests outside my fence.  Honestly, it’s one of those things to where I know what I’m doing and feel paranoid.  Not so much of it sounds like I’m “shooting firearms”.  Although the .22 almost sounds like an actual .22 being fired.  A bit loud.  I wanted to build a box I can keep the rifles in and lean into to absorb the spring/piston noise.  All my tests and ears tells me it’s the piston/spring not the muzzle.

(12-14-2020, 08:21 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I can't help with a soundbar as I have no experience with them (but see below). My advice, though, for buying audio equipment is to use your ears. By that I mean go somewhere as listen to some. Don’t buy online based on some recommendation(s). To me, audio equipment is something you have to hear to make a decision on.

Ha, I appreciate it.  But at 2500.00 that’s about a grand more than the one I’m replacing.  Also, perhaps it’s just me, but I do have a hard time in stores comparing different sound bars.  They have their special setups and such to show it off.  Sometimes it’s hard to figure out how well it would sound at home. Not too much of a big deal. If I find something reasonable at the right price great.  If not, we’ll, we’ll deal with it.  We like the nicer things but haven’t gotten too far away from reality.  Nothing pressing by all means.  

(12-14-2020, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 07:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The noise that you hear from a firearm doesn't come from the muzzle (for the most part).  It's mostly the sound of the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  If you put a "silencer" on a typical AR-15 (.223 or 5.56) it will make it quieter, but you will still hear a loud "crack" which is the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  The only way to overcome that is to use the same caliber bullet in a slower load (a .22 in your case).

(12-14-2020, 08:21 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I can't help with a soundbar as I have no experience with them (but see below). My advice, though, for buying audio equipment is to use your ears. By that I mean go somewhere as listen to some. Don’t buy online based on some recommendation(s). To me, audio equipment is something you have to hear to make a decision on.

Ha, I appreciate it.  But at 2500.00 that’s about a grand more than the one I’m replacing.  Also, perhaps it’s just me, but I do have a hard time in stores comparing different sound bars.  They have their special setups and such to show it off.  Sometimes it’s hard to figure out how well it would sound at home

It’s not just you. I should have mentioned that recreating your own home environment is almost impossible. But you can still get an idea of the frequency response. I've never shopped for a soundbar, so I'm not sure what you mean by special setups. Perhaps just a treated room? I can't stress how important that is. And reading your above post, your current soundbar was $1,500? That should be pretty decent quality. If it's not sounding good, it's either defective or the room is eating it up. I'd guess the latter. Also, at the link for the Sennheiser, they even have a part where they instruct you how to set up a room. Like they're saying "Don't spend $2,500 on this without treating the room, unless you like throwing away $2,500."

(12-14-2020, 09:15 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 08:43 PM)Jags Wrote: I bought these two air rifles due to them both being “quiet”.  Neither of the pellets should be breaking the sound barrier.  Part of why I chose them.  I did many tests measuring the decibels from various locations.  I can 100% say I’m not hearing the crack of the pellets breaking the sound barrier.  It’s all the action.  Quite a let down.  I wanted something fun to shoot in the backyard.  And since they technically aren’t “firearms” I should be good depending on the officer that may arrive if one of my two neighbors [BLEEP].   I’ve done sound tests outside my fence.  Honestly, it’s one of those things to where I know what I’m doing and feel paranoid.  Not so much of it sounds like I’m “shooting firearms”.  Although the .22 almost sounds like an actual .22 being fired.  A bit loud.  I wanted to build a box I can keep the rifles in and lean into to absorb the spring/piston noise.  All my tests and ears tells me it’s the piston/spring not the muzzle.

It’s not just you. I should have mentioned that recreating your own home environment is almost impossible. But you can still get an idea of the frequency response. I've never shopped for a soundbar, so I'm not sure what you mean by special setups. Perhaps just a treated room? I can't stress how important that is. And reading your above post, your current soundbar was $1,500? That should be pretty decent quality. If it's not sounding good, it's either defective or the room is eating it up. I'd guess the latter. Also, at the link for the Sennheiser, they even have a part where they instruct you how to set up a room. Like they're saying "Don't spend $2,500 on this without treating the room, unless you like throwing away $2,500."
Yes, I did spend close to that on the bar/sub and whatever else came with it. The sound quality is/was good.  I had no objections to that.  It’s just whether or not it plays the sound is my problem.  This particular bar seems to be a bust.  I’ve found forums and other stuff online about it all with the same issue.  It’s just hit or miss on whether or not it works. There will be be spurts that it’s working other times it seems to be in perpetual “updating” mode.  Samsung hasn’t exactly been cooperative or supportive even in warranty situations.  When it works it’s pretty damn good iMO.  Despite all that, it m not in the market for one.  I kinda quit caring.  I kinda feel my family has spent too much time on technology and such.  As far as the displays... they have setups of their higher end systems in a room.  This is Best Buy, btw.  I didn’t know where else to go.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 09:48 PM by Jags.)

My bar has been running via Bluetooth if that helps.  It used to be optical.  I figured it reverted to Bluetooth since the optical cord must have been kinked and broken and quit working.  I bought a new optical cord to “fix it once and for all” but that didn’t work either.  Now I don’t know too much about it, but it not working with the optical cord and setting it up to run via that cord, I’m confused why it doesn’t work.

(12-14-2020, 07:50 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:35 PM)Jags Wrote: Lol, I knew someone would take it that way.  Yes, I want to contain noise but nothing that sinister.  I bought a couple “quiet” air rifles.  A .22 and a .30.  Both break barrels.  Boy did I not realize just how far these things changed since I was a kid.  Both are sub sonic but all the noise is coming from the piston/spring. Not much noise from the muzzle.  Even built a silent trap for the pellets which works great.  Whatever, it’s “childish” and cool at the same time.  Fun for times I can’t get to the range or go broke buying ammo. That is if you can find it.

Uhhhhhhhh no. Maybe if you're the buck.

(12-14-2020, 05:35 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 05:08 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: They're called coffins  Ninja

Giving my nephew a Gamo for Xmas. Time to get some squirrels!

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020, 06:01 AM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

(12-14-2020, 09:47 PM)Jags Wrote: My bar has been running via Bluetooth if that helps.  It used to be optical.  I figured it reverted to Bluetooth since the optical cord must have been kinked and broken and quit working.  I bought a new optical cord to “fix it once and for all” but that didn’t work either.  Now I don’t know too much about it, but it not working with the optical cord and setting it up to run via that cord, I’m confused why it doesn’t work.

Your post before this one had my curiosity piqued at your mention of your soundbar "updating". I wondered how complex these things are. So I pulled up a schematic of a JBL system. Yeah, what a mess. Overly complex and largely digital, with an IC containing a processor, RAM and too many multiplexers (to handle the multiple inputs) for my taste. If I were ever interested in a soundbar, I'd build one myself. Op amps with good skew rates, quality power amps with solid transformers. 30 Watts Class AB. Building a speaker enclosure isn't my thing, so maybe I'd use an existing one.

Back to your issue, it sounds like your system is malfunctioning. Bluetooth is really a crap way to run anything, if you're serious. How's the RCA input?

(12-15-2020, 05:05 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 09:47 PM)Jags Wrote: My bar has been running via Bluetooth if that helps.  It used to be optical.  I figured it reverted to Bluetooth since the optical cord must have been kinked and broken and quit working.  I bought a new optical cord to “fix it once and for all” but that didn’t work either.  Now I don’t know too much about it, but it not working with the optical cord and setting it up to run via that cord, I’m confused why it doesn’t work.

Your post before this one had my curiosity piqued at your mention of your soundbar "updating". I wondered how complex these things are. So I pulled up a schematic of a JBL system. Yeah, what a mess. Overly complex and largely digital, with an IC containing a processor, RAM and too many multiplexers (to handle the multiple inputs) for my taste. If I were ever interested in a soundbar, I'd build one myself. Op amps with good skew rates, quality power amps with solid transformers. 30 Watts Class AB. Building a speaker enclosure isn't my thing, so maybe I'd use an existing one.

Back to your issue, it sounds like your system is malfunctioning. Bluetooth is really a crap way to run anything, if you're serious. How's the RCA input?
I’m sure they have a good reason but for the life of me I can’t think of why my speakers would need an update.  Seems fairly simple, just play the sound.

Only time I want it to play via Bluetooth is on the rare occasions I connect my phone to it.  It was originally hooked up with an optical cable/wire whatever it’s called.  It reverted to BT I guess since the optical didn’t work.  I’ll be honest, I didn’t even consider using the RCA jacks(assuming I have them on there) never payed much attention.  I just assumed it was an out dated way of doing things.  It’s currently working.  So next time it quits I’ll try the RCA and see if that works.  Maybe the optical input on the bar or output on the TV is messed up.

(12-15-2020, 04:53 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:

Giving my nephew a Gamo for Xmas. Time to get some squirrels!
Gamo swarm maxim is the .22 I have.  I like how it has a magazine.  But holy cow, the .30 I got is just awesome.  It really doesn’t even look like it should be an air rifle.  Nice wood stock.  Fairly heavy and hard to break the barrel though.  The Gamo is nice too.  Which one do you plan on getting him?

(12-15-2020, 04:52 PM)Jags Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 05:05 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: Your post before this one had my curiosity piqued at your mention of your soundbar "updating". I wondered how complex these things are. So I pulled up a schematic of a JBL system. Yeah, what a mess. Overly complex and largely digital, with an IC containing a processor, RAM and too many multiplexers (to handle the multiple inputs) for my taste. If I were ever interested in a soundbar, I'd build one myself. Op amps with good skew rates, quality power amps with solid transformers. 30 Watts Class AB. Building a speaker enclosure isn't my thing, so maybe I'd use an existing one.

I’m sure they have a good reason but for the life of me I can’t think of why my speakers would need an update.  Seems fairly simple, just play the sound.

Only time I want it to play via Bluetooth is on the rare occasions I connect my phone to it.  It was originally hooked up with an optical cable/wire whatever it’s called.  It reverted to BT I guess since the optical didn’t work.  I’ll be honest, I didn’t even consider using the RCA jacks(assuming I have them on there) never payed much attention.  I just assumed it was an out dated way of doing things.  It’s currently working.  So next time it quits I’ll try the RCA and see if that works.  Maybe the optical input on the bar or output on the TV is messed up.

RCA would be my preference as it stays out of the sound port processor, but it’s likely still molested by a DSP. After our discussion, I'm certain a soundbar is not for me. Nothing beats an analog signal from the TV into an all analog amplifier, in my opinion. 

Back to the optical, I assume you've tried a different cable. And if so, I would then assume you had the same problem. That cable and its connectors are fiber optic. Have you tried cleaning the connections on the TV and the soundbar?

(12-15-2020, 08:03 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 04:52 PM)Jags Wrote: I’m sure they have a good reason but for the life of me I can’t think of why my speakers would need an update.  Seems fairly simple, just play the sound.

RCA would be my preference as it stays out of the sound port processor, but it’s likely still molested by a DSP. After our discussion, I'm certain a soundbar is not for me. Nothing beats an analog signal from the TV into an all analog amplifier, in my opinion. 

Back to the optical, I assume you've tried a different cable. And if so, I would then assume you had the same problem. That cable and its connectors are fiber optic. Have you tried cleaning the connections on the TV and the soundbar?

You’d assume correctly.  I figured the cable was linked and broke since there is zero slack in it and the bar may have gotten moved to break it. Tried a new longer one.  Didn’t work. No, I haven’t tried cleaning the ports.  It just kinda dawned on me that the ports could be the issue once I typed that out.  And if we haven’t dealt with this 2 months after buying it all and having it professionally installed for just over a year now I’d care more.  But how do you clean those ports? Compressed air?? A-tips?