Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

I have always wanted someone off the chiefs staff and still would be happy if we do nab someone like bieniemy. But Daboll makes a lot of sense, Lawrence and Josh Allen have some simular attributes, if he can get the best out of Allen, then i would inagine he could do some great things with Lawrence. I think the hire should be an offensive minded guy who can develop a qb, because Lawrence could be this franchises qb for well over a decade if he is handled right, coaches come and go, franchise qb’s are the hardest thing to find/develop in professional sports.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'll say the same thing I said in the GM thread. Copied and pasted and only changed "GM" to "HC."

I'm in the "Don't screw it up" school, so I am leaning towards a HC with experience. With TL coming on board, and a boatload of draft picks, and loads of cap space, we have one shot to get this right, and I don't want anyone who might screw it up, so I prefer the high-floor/low ceiling type of candidate instead of the "roll-the-dice-this-guy-might-be-great" candidate who has no HC experience. Or NFL experience, for that matter. With TL coming on board, I don't want to take any chances with the HC decision. So give me a HC with head coaching experience, preferably NFL head coaching experience.

I don't want Urban Meyer or Eric Bieniemy. Urban Meyer has too many red flags, and Bieniemy is the Offensive Coordinator for the Chiefs in name only.

(12-30-2020, 08:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'll say the same thing I said in the GM thread.  Copied and pasted and only changed "GM" to "HC."

I'm in the "Don't screw it up" school, so I am leaning towards a HC with experience.    With TL coming on board, and a boatload of draft picks, and loads of cap space, we have one shot to get this right, and I don't want anyone who might screw it up, so I prefer the high-floor/low ceiling type of candidate instead of the "roll-the-dice-this-guy-might-be-great" candidate who has no HC experience.  Or NFL experience, for that matter.  With TL coming on board, I don't want to take any chances with the HC decision.  So give me a HC with head coaching experience, preferably NFL head coaching experience.  

I don't want Urban Meyer or Eric Bieniemy.  Urban Meyer has too many red flags, and Bieniemy is the Offensive Coordinator for the Chiefs in name only.

This is basically what Marrone was figured to be when he was hired. How'd that work out for us?

(12-29-2020, 11:01 PM)Adub28 Wrote: I have always wanted someone off the chiefs staff and still would be happy if we do nab someone like bieniemy. But Daboll makes a lot of sense, Lawrence and Josh Allen have some simular attributes, if he can get the best out of Allen, then i would inagine he could do some great things with Lawrence. I think the hire should be an offensive minded guy who can develop a qb, because Lawrence could be this franchises qb for well over a decade if he is handled right, coaches come and go, franchise qb’s are the hardest thing to find/develop in professional sports.

This is a decent plan. Bring a staff that is great at player development. The team next year is going to be super young and moldable. Try to make most of that potential actually turn into star players. 

If coaching staff feels like they are hitting a ceiling a few years due to limitation in other aspects though, the Jags can't be afraid cut bait though.

(12-30-2020, 10:23 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 08:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'll say the same thing I said in the GM thread.  Copied and pasted and only changed "GM" to "HC."

I'm in the "Don't screw it up" school, so I am leaning towards a HC with experience.    With TL coming on board, and a boatload of draft picks, and loads of cap space, we have one shot to get this right, and I don't want anyone who might screw it up, so I prefer the high-floor/low ceiling type of candidate instead of the "roll-the-dice-this-guy-might-be-great" candidate who has no HC experience.  Or NFL experience, for that matter.  With TL coming on board, I don't want to take any chances with the HC decision.  So give me a HC with head coaching experience, preferably NFL head coaching experience.  

I don't want Urban Meyer or Eric Bieniemy.  Urban Meyer has too many red flags, and Bieniemy is the Offensive Coordinator for the Chiefs in name only.

This is basically what Marrone was figured to be when he was hired. How'd that work out for us?

So we should only hire guys who have never been a head coach?  Not sure what you are saying.

Looks like Jim Harbaugh is going to stay in Ann Arbor, reportedly signed an extension to remain beyond 2021.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-30-2020, 12:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 10:23 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: This is basically what Marrone was figured to be when he was hired. How'd that work out for us?

So we should only hire guys who have never been a head coach?  Not sure what you are saying.

Just saying let's not close ourselves into one box. Hire who we believe to be the best option, even if they don't necessarily meet all of that criteria. There's no guarantees one way or another.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 01:24 PM by The Real Marty.)

(12-30-2020, 12:52 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 12:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So we should only hire guys who have never been a head coach?  Not sure what you are saying.

Just saying let's not close ourselves into one box. Hire who we believe to be the best option, even if they don't necessarily meet all of that criteria. There's no guarantees one way or another.

Of course, I recognize that I am in no way qualified to make the decision.  I am just saying, knowing what I do know now, I would be cautious.  We have a winning hand.  I don't want to see us screw it up by taking any unnecessary risks.

Sure, if I was in the room with Shad Khan and we had solid info that there is an assistant out there who is ready to be a head coach, and he's brilliant, a true leader of men, etc etc etc, then I might take that risk.  But knowing as little as I do know, or will know, I would play it safe and take a proven head coach.

Do you trust Shad and Tony Khan to pick an assistant coach who's never been a head coach?

(12-30-2020, 12:33 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Looks like Jim Harbaugh is going to stay in Ann Arbor, reportedly signed an extension to remain beyond 2021.

They can have him.

I'm kind of leaning towards the thought that a successful college coach might not be a bad idea. College coaches, the successful ones anyway, live and die in a world where their players have to improve every year, if not every game. There are no UFAs coming in in April to save the next season or put them over the top. This team is going to have a lot of young players next year with probably only a handful of veteran leader types around. Could be as ideal a situation as will ever exist for a college coach to step in.

A few names intrigue me:

Brian Daboll- clearly doing something right with Allen. Allen was a huge project at QB and is now flourishing. (Also Go Diggs. He A Terp)

Matt Campbell- seems to be a great leader for ISU.

Bienemy- obvious reasons. Him and Reid both call plays (Reid has stated this over and over again).

Jim Caldwell- Got a raw deal in Detroit and has a ton of respect from players.

Joe Brady- rising up the ranks super quickly.

This is just a short list of guys that are intriguing me. It’s a hard no on Urban for me because he seems flaky and I’m not sure the pro guys will respond the same way his college teams do. Way too much “my way or the highway”. I want someone who plays to their players strengths.

(12-30-2020, 01:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: A few names intrigue me:

Brian Daboll- clearly doing something right with Allen. Allen was a huge project at QB and is now flourishing. (Also Go Diggs. He A Terp)

Bienemy- obvious reasons. Him and Reid both call plays (Reid has stated this over and over again).

This is just a short list of guys that are intriguing me. It’s a hard no on Urban for me because he seems flaky and I’m not sure the pro guys will respond the same way his college teams do. Way too much “my way or the highway”. I want someone who plays to their players strengths.

Solid list. 
Of all the "retread" possibilities I think Jim Caldwell is actually not a terrible idea. I too believe he wasn't given a fair shake and was solid for the clots. 
The whole Bienemy not being play caller thing didn't seem to hurt Pederson and Nagy success if they weren't the actual play callers. (though Nagy's success could be argued).
Brady just isn't a long enough resume for me to want to take that leap, yet.

(12-30-2020, 03:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://ahnfiredigital.com/nfl/jacksonvi...ching-job/

Just regurgitating the same info as previous articles.

I like how every article about Urban coming back just assumes that he is going to get whatever he wants wherever he wants it, like we're just supposed to spread our legs for him because he's king Urban freaking Meyer and we're the lowly, desperate Jaguars. If I were Shad I would say sorry pal you're not even a top 5 candidate go kick rocks.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 03:49 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Urban would be a very boom or bust head coach signing. Would much rather a guy like Daboll

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2020, 04:06 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-30-2020, 12:33 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Looks like Jim Harbaugh is going to stay in Ann Arbor, reportedly signed an extension to remain beyond 2021.

Good. I hate Michigan and he sucks.

(12-30-2020, 03:33 PM)Upper Wrote: I like how every article about Urban coming back just assumes that he is going to get whatever he wants wherever he wants it, like we're just supposed to spread our legs for him because he's king Urban freaking Meyer and we're the lowly, desperate Jaguars. If I were Shad I would say sorry pal you're not even a top 5 candidate go kick rocks.

^This.

(12-30-2020, 03:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Urban would be a very boom or bust head coach signing.  Would much rather a guy like Daboll

Right now, I'm leaning toward Daboll. I love what he has done in Buffalo.

For a retread, Caldwell would be a SOLID choice. He's had success almost everywhere he's gone. He even had Detroit playing respectable football for 4 years. Overall winning percentage of .554 as a head coach and a record of 62-50. He's a good offensive mind and can relate to players and is old enough to command respect due to his time around the league.

If we are looking for a 'young gun', I like Daboll. He's put together a quality offense in Buffalo.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(12-30-2020, 02:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 01:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: A few names intrigue me:

Solid list. 
Of all the "retread" possibilities I think Jim Caldwell is actually not a terrible idea. I too believe he wasn't given a fair shake and was solid for the clots. 
The whole Bienemy not being play caller thing didn't seem to hurt Pederson and Nagy success if they weren't the actual play callers. (though Nagy's success could be argued).
Brady just isn't a long enough resume for me to want to take that leap, yet.

If we're going for a retread, Caldwell tops my list.  Both Indy and Detroit got worse immediately upon his exit.

https://twitter.com/pfn365/status/134447...69282?s=21

According to Tony Pauline, he is hearing that Trent Baalke is the one pitching Urban Meyer.

So if/(when?) we go the Urban route, it is going to be a Urban Meyer/Trent Baalke duo. Hope you guys are mentally preparing yourselves for this.