Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Agent wish list

(02-10-2021, 04:05 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: While I agree Robinson isn’t the long term solution at left tackle he is by now means terrible, it’s near on impossible to play well on the offensive line in much of the situations we were in last season down by double digit scores, with 3 below average qbs in the pocket,
You don’t just take a left tackle for the sake of it this year, I know we’re all worried about Trevor getting hurt.
All 3 of our qbs got through the season with out serious injury, we all keep going back to the Bengles, burrow was getting 7/8 huge hits laid on him every game, non of ours were ever taking hits like that.

I know it’s a popular opinion that out line is terrible, and I’m not saying it’s a strength but it’s by no means a huge weakness either, it would be impossible for our rookie rb to have the season he did if they were that bad.

Look at PFF's OT rankings. They watch every single play each OT participates in and both of our OT's rank near the very bottom of the league. There is actual proof how bad they really are. It's not like we're making this up. Look at their blocking grades.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-10-2021, 07:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 11:10 PM)Upper Wrote: This is why I have strongly advocated that we pay Trent and then draft Mayfield or Jenkins at 25 or 33 to replace Taylor.

You always bring up Jenkins yet he is the same type of tackle you always say you dont like.  Good runblocker with big body with heavy feet that will probably struggle against the speed rushers, early on at least

(02-10-2021, 03:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Dude. Tristan Wirfs was a rookie this year and he graded out as one of the top OT's in the NFL. Not all players need time to develop. O-Linemen are constantly thrown to the wolves as rookies and many fare pretty well. I desperately wanted to draft Wirfs at #9 last year instead of Henderson. A lot of people on this board wanted that as well. There is no reason to think one of the highly ranked OT's in this next draft class can't fare that well in 2021. 

It's called upgrading. You spot the positions of need and you try to improve them. Both current starting OT's for the Jags need immediate upgrading. Most of us on this board don't trust them at all and this is a very, very good OT class for this draft.

There won't be a rookie tackle there at 25 that is as good as Wirfs or Becton.  Both of those guys would of been a top 10 pick in most drafts

Teven Jenkins hasn't allowed a sack since 2018. He's an excellent pass blocker. He couldn't have been struggling too bad. 

There may not be an OT as good as Wirfs or Becton at #25. I desperately wanted to draft Wirfs, but that didn't happen, so we have to move on from that. I'd be willing to bet there will be guys who are a whole lot better than Robinson or Taylor at that pick though. A lot better. The bar is set very low.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 11:01 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-10-2021, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 07:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You always bring up Jenkins yet he is the same type of tackle you always say you dont like.  Good runblocker with big body with heavy feet that will probably struggle against the speed rushers, early on at least

There won't be a rookie tackle there at 25 that is as good as Wirfs or Becton.  Both of those guys would of been a top 10 pick in most drafts

Teven Jenkins hasn't allowed a sack since 2018. He's an excellent pass blocker. He couldn't have been struggling too bad. 

There may not be an OT as good as Wirfs or Becton at #25. I desperately wanted to draft Wirfs, but that didn't happen, so we have to move on from that. I'd be willing to bet there will be guys who are a whole lot better than Robinson or Taylor at that pick though. A lot better. The bar is set very low.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/202...en-jenkins

He's heavy footed and lacks athleticism.  Jawaan Taylor was a beast in college as well, as was Cam.  You have said in every post you wanted Wirfs lol, most of us did but we didn't get him.  At least we have a few pieces on defense with high upside in Henderson and Chaisson, ill wait to see what they can do this year.

(02-10-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Teven Jenkins hasn't allowed a sack since 2018. He's an excellent pass blocker. He couldn't have been struggling too bad. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/202...en-jenkins

He's heavy footed and lacks athleticism.  Jawaan Taylor was a beast in college as well, as was Cam.  You have said in every post you wanted Wirfs lol, most of us did but we didn't.  At least we have a few pieces on defense with high upside in Henderson and Chaisson, ill wait to see what they can do this yead

No. They weren't. If they were "beasts" they wouldn't have fell to round 2. There were issues with Taylor's knees and his slow start coming out of his stance. That's why he fell to round 2. Cam fell, because he was always a better run blocker than a pass protector and most people saw him purely as a RT. 

I don't view either Henderson or Chaisson as having high upside, but I'm willing to give them another year to prove themselves. Hopefully, a 3-4 scheme will help both of them, but I have my doubts.

(02-10-2021, 10:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 04:05 AM)Craigukjag Wrote: While I agree Robinson isn’t the long term solution at left tackle he is by now means terrible, it’s near on impossible to play well on the offensive line in much of the situations we were in last season down by double digit scores, with 3 below average qbs in the pocket,
You don’t just take a left tackle for the sake of it this year, I know we’re all worried about Trevor getting hurt.
All 3 of our qbs got through the season with out serious injury, we all keep going back to the Bengles, burrow was getting 7/8 huge hits laid on him every game, non of ours were ever taking hits like that.

I know it’s a popular opinion that out line is terrible, and I’m not saying it’s a strength but it’s by no means a huge weakness either, it would be impossible for our rookie rb to have the season he did if they were that bad.

Look at PFF's OT rankings. They watch every single play each OT participates in and both of our OT's rank near the very bottom of the league. There is actual proof how bad they really are. It's not like we're making this up. Look at their blocking grades.

Again I wasn’t  saying they were the best, but when your team is down early in every game and you’re having to play from behind and DE’s know you’re going to throw it’s very hard for lineman to get a high grade, and while pff do some very good things they don’t know the blocking assignments called on plays so they’re really only guessing like everyone else.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 11:18 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-10-2021, 11:01 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/202...en-jenkins

He's heavy footed and lacks athleticism.  Jawaan Taylor was a beast in college as well, as was Cam.  You have said in every post you wanted Wirfs lol, most of us did but we didn't.  At least we have a few pieces on defense with high upside in Henderson and Chaisson, ill wait to see what they can do this yead

No. They weren't. If they were "beasts" they wouldn't have fell to round 2. There were issues with Taylor's knees and his slow start coming out of his stance. That's why he fell to round 2. Cam fell, because he was always a better run blocker than a pass protector and most people saw him purely as a RT. 

I don't view either Henderson or Chaisson as having high upside, but I'm willing to give them another year to prove themselves. Hopefully, a 3-4 scheme will help both of them, but I have my doubts.
Cam won the Jacobs and Outland Trophy.  Saban even said Cam was the best lineman he ever coached.  Both were monsters in college.  There has been great players in college that fell to the 2nd or even later rounds.  If you keep up with football you should know that.  And to say Henderson and Chaisson don't have high upside is comical.  Henderson has more upside than any corner in last years draft and Chaisson has more than any pass rusher not named Young, it's 2 of the reasons they were drafted so high.

(02-10-2021, 11:02 AM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Look at PFF's OT rankings. They watch every single play each OT participates in and both of our OT's rank near the very bottom of the league. There is actual proof how bad they really are. It's not like we're making this up. Look at their blocking grades.

Again I wasn’t  saying they were the best, but when your team is down early in every game and you’re having to play from behind and DE’s know you’re going to throw it’s very hard for lineman to get a high grade, and while pff do some very good things they don’t know the blocking assignments called on plays so they’re really only guessing like everyone else.

Exactly, I think if Cam can stay healthy his best is yet to come

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 12:38 PM by JagNGeorgia.)

Rapoport is saying Orlando Brown wants out of Baltimore and to a team that’ll play him at LT.

I’d easily throw our 25th at them for Brown.

(02-10-2021, 01:46 AM)Upper Wrote: You know who started at right tackle for the super bowl champs right? Yes I think a high pick at tackle can be an impact player right away.

The 13th overall pick. We aren't picking nearly that high. We are picking at spots where players usually require development before they are ready to play.

Apples to oranges.

(02-10-2021, 03:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 10:16 PM)Predator Wrote: There isn't a big disparity in talent between the late first and early second round.

And to say someone who has never taken an NFL snap would be an clear upgrade over someone who was a similar level of prospect coming out of college and has multiple years of NFL experience is silly.

The OTs available to us wouldn't have been able to even sniff Joeckel's jock as far as quality of prospect and look how that went.

No one available where we pick would be considered an immediate plug and play guy especially when you consider your number 1 pick, face of the franchise, will be the victim of their rookie mistakes.

You and every GM and fan in the world hopes all their top picks become immediate and effective starters , but I hate to break it to you, there is this thing called reality that says just because you want something to work a certain way doesn't mean it will work that way.

Regardless of how great you think a prospect is, there is no way to predict with a high degree of certainty that they will make a successful transition to the NFL, and with a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick there is no way to predict with any degree of certainty that they will make it.

I don't think they are similar at all. I hated Robinson and Taylor coming out of college. I thought they were need picks and that there were much more talented players at other positions still on the board. I have 6-7 OT's in this coming draft with like first round grades. I didn't even have 3rd round grades on Taylor and Robinson.  

I have no idea what you are trying to say about Joeckel, but I loathed that selection. In fact, I had a bit of a mini meltdown when he was selected. He was among my least favorite players in that draft. He lacked any kind of functional strength to play LT and it showed. 

I know that, the draft is a crapshoot. You just project the best you can and hope it works out. That has no bearing upon how I grade certain players. They might hit and they might miss.

(02-09-2021, 10:27 PM)Predator Wrote: He doesn't care about the future says the guy who wants to spend almost 1/4th of our cap space on a 33 year old LT so he can be just 1 of 5 linemen needed to protect our QB and just 1 of 22 starters on this talent deficient team.

Yeah, you are really thinking about the future there.

We have plenty of cap space and picks to upgrade more than one offensive line position. I really don't get your opposition to signing Williams.

The only reason you don't see similarity is because one has actually played in the NFL so you are only claiming a different evaluation because of hindsight.

Robinson and Taylor were highly regarded coming out of college.

You would have called them an instant upgrade too if we had an under performing OT and a pick at their spots.

(02-10-2021, 12:37 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Rapoport is saying Orlando Brown wants out of Baltimore and to a team that’ll play him at LT.

Agreed. He's a proven commodity.

(02-10-2021, 01:44 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 03:00 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't think they are similar at all. I hated Robinson and Taylor coming out of college. I thought they were need picks and that there were much more talented players at other positions still on the board. I have 6-7 OT's in this coming draft with like first round grades. I didn't even have 3rd round grades on Taylor and Robinson.  

I have no idea what you are trying to say about Joeckel, but I loathed that selection. In fact, I had a bit of a mini meltdown when he was selected. He was among my least favorite players in that draft. He lacked any kind of functional strength to play LT and it showed. 

I know that, the draft is a crapshoot. You just project the best you can and hope it works out. That has no bearing upon how I grade certain players. They might hit and they might miss.

We have plenty of cap space and picks to upgrade more than one offensive line position. I really don't get your opposition to signing Williams.

The only reason you don't see similarity is because one has actually played in the NFL so you are only claiming a different evaluation because of hindsight.

You would have called them an instant upgrade too if we had an under performing OT and a pick at their spots.

That's absolutely not true. I am very vocal about who I like and who I dislike before every draft. Dig through the old posts and you'll find how much I hated those O-Linemen. I was railing against the picks weeks after the draft. Pull up the old articles and you'll see that some teams didn't even have a passing medical grade on Taylor, because of his knee issues. The proof is out there, but I doubt you'll even make an effort to look for it, because you just don't like people disagreeing with you and you don't wanna be shown up.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 03:33 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-10-2021, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 01:44 PM)Predator Wrote: The only reason you don't see similarity is because one has actually played in the NFL so you are only claiming a different evaluation because of hindsight.

That's absolutely not true. I am very vocal about who I like and who I dislike before every draft. Dig through the old posts and you'll find how much I hated those O-Linemen. I was railing against the picks weeks after the draft. Pull up the old articles and you'll see that some teams didn't even have a passing medical grade on Taylor, because of his knee issues. The proof is out there, but I doubt you'll even make an effort to look for it, because you just don't like people disagreeing with you and you don't wanna be shown up.

You wanted Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney which would of been worse. I liked Lamp as well

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 05:34 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-10-2021, 03:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 02:11 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's absolutely not true. I am very vocal about who I like and who I dislike before every draft. Dig through the old posts and you'll find how much I hated those O-Linemen. I was railing against the picks weeks after the draft. Pull up the old articles and you'll see that some teams didn't even have a passing medical grade on Taylor, because of his knee issues. The proof is out there, but I doubt you'll even make an effort to look for it, because you just don't like people disagreeing with you and you don't wanna be shown up.

You wanted Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney which would of been worse.  I liked Lamp as well

I never said that I haven't made mistakes. I certainly have. I really missed on Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen as well, but I was right about Robinson and Taylor. I'm much better at scouting OT's than any other position. I'm certainly not perfect, but when it comes to OT's, I'm better than average, but I am human.

(02-10-2021, 12:37 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Rapoport is saying Orlando Brown wants out of Baltimore and to a team that’ll play him at LT.

From what I just read, they are seeking something like a 1st and 3rd round pick. If they would accept the #25 pick this year and a 2022 3rd rounder, I'd definitely do that.

(02-10-2021, 05:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

From what I just read, they are seeking something like a 1st and 3rd round pick. If they would accept the #25 pick this year and a 2022 3rd rounder, I'd definitely do that.
100% you do that. He’s still only 25 and has made 2 pro bowls. He also allowed zero sacks last season when he switched to LT.

I think I start by offering the Vikings 2nd rounder and a 3rd with my ceiling being that 25th pick. Start semi low and see what happens.

(02-10-2021, 06:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 05:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: From what I just read, they are seeking something like a 1st and 3rd round pick. If they would accept the #25 pick this year and a 2022 3rd rounder, I'd definitely do that.
100% you do that. He’s still only 25 and has made 2 pro bowls. He also allowed zero sacks last season when he switched to LT.

I think I start by offering the Vikings 2nd rounder and a 3rd with my ceiling being that 25th pick. Start semi low and see what happens.

Offer the Vikings 2nd and Taylor.  Then go all out for Moton in FA

(02-10-2021, 06:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 06:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: 100% you do that. He’s still only 25 and has made 2 pro bowls. He also allowed zero sacks last season when he switched to LT.

That would be a very nice set of bookend OT's.

(02-10-2021, 06:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 06:33 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: 100% you do that. He’s still only 25 and has made 2 pro bowls. He also allowed zero sacks last season when he switched to LT.

I'd definitely go for that, also.

Brown is going to have alllll of the leverage if a team trades a first+ for him. Get ready to shell out a 22M+ Tunsilesque contract on top of that.

We could get Trent and Jenkins/Mayfield at 25 for the same price.

(02-10-2021, 11:51 PM)Upper Wrote: Brown is going to have alllll of the leverage if a team trades a first+ for him. Get ready to shell out a 22M+ Tunsilesque contract on top of that.

We could get Trent and Jenkins/Mayfield at 25 for the same price.

There are 2 positions that I don't mind shelling out big money for, if they are proven franchise players. That would be QB and LT. Brown is an elite OT and he's young. He's a plug and play LT for the next 5-6 years. I don't know if you will get that high of a level of play fro Williams for that long of a period and even if we traded for him, that would not stop me from drafting an OT for the right side. We need competition for that RT spot, because right now, it sucks.