Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

I think Jaguars are being careful or something. But Henry at 3 years 37 million is definitely worth it. We should do 3 year contracts just in case. How long does Lawrence rookie contract last nowadays? Theyre definitely taking that into factor.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This is the Gene Smith Draft Strategy applied to free agency.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:25 PM by D6.)

(03-16-2021, 11:33 AM)Dimson Wrote: No way Khan told them to not spend. We have to reach the cap floor. No way can we not spend money.

Considering the huge financial investment that Shad Khan made in bringing in Urban Meyer to be the key football person in the Jaguars organization,  I strongly believe that Khan is more than comfortable with Meyer and co. spending a large amount of cash on player contracts.  

I understand and respect concerns mentioned in this and other threads. It's never easy when expectations don't become a reality.  

I think two themes of the strategy by Meyer are to build up depth and competition. As well as Special Teams.  Then use the draft as the primary vehicle to get eventual high end starters.  It's still possible for one or more high end starting veteran players to be added this year. But it looks like they would be the exceptions.

Google maps doesn't show an Independent Life building? Can someone direct me?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-16-2021, 12:06 PM)DawgJag Wrote: It's obvious they are going with who they believe fits their scheme rather than going for big names. If you listened to Meyer this whole time, it really shouldn't surprise you. He's said multiple times that he believes there is no such thing as a bad player and they would lean heavily on fit and familiarity. 

Would I be happy with some big signings? Sure. But there is no reason to freak out over these signings like some of y'all are. How many times do we have to watch teams spend huge on mediocre players that we fool ourselves into thinking they're difference makers just to watch them fail miserably most of the time. Don't bother listing successful examples because they are the exceptions not the rule.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. This is obviously a very young crowd. You plug holes in free agency and build through the draft. Besides there's still opportunity to sign a big name or two.

Agreed, but we're not plugging any holes. The only thing we're improving is special teams.

(03-16-2021, 12:09 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:06 PM)DawgJag Wrote: It's obvious they are going with who they believe fits their scheme rather than going for big names. If you listened to Meyer this whole time, it really shouldn't surprise you. He's said multiple times that he believes there is no such thing as a bad player and they would lean heavily on fit and familiarity. 

Would I be happy with some big signings? Sure. But there is no reason to freak out over these signings like some of y'all are. How many times do we have to watch teams spend huge on mediocre players that we fool ourselves into thinking they're difference makers just to watch them fail miserably most of the time. Don't bother listing successful examples because they are the exceptions not the rule.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. This is obviously a very young crowd. You plug holes in free agency and build through the draft. Besides there's still opportunity to sign a big name or two.

Dude we've been here for decades and heard this same old song and dance before. Get in the backseat already Mrs. Meyer...
Mrs. Meyer, that's cute.

New regime. Why would expect them to have the same since of urgency that the fans do? I didn't say I was happy with what they are doing, I'm not gonna freak out over like y'all are doing. Whether you want to admit it or not, the people making decisions have forgotten more football knowledge than the totality of this message board knows. I love the armchair GMs here believing they know more than paid professionals. 

By all means, keep crying in your cereal over things you can't control. You sounds like petulant children that didn't get the toy they wanted at the store.

(03-16-2021, 12:28 PM)DawgJag Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:09 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Dude we've been here for decades and heard this same old song and dance before. Get in the backseat already Mrs. Meyer...
Mrs. Meyer, that's cute.

New regime. Why would expect them to have the same since of urgency that the fans do? I didn't say I was happy with what they are doing, I'm not gonna freak out over like y'all are doing. Whether you want to admit it or not, the people making decisions have forgotten more football knowledge than the totality of this message board knows. I love the armchair GMs here believing they know more than paid professionals. 

By all means, keep crying in your cereal over things you can't control. You sounds like petulant children that didn't get the toy they wanted at the store.

Ok Mrs. Twopost...paid professionals get fired too! Secondly,  Urban Meyer's window is short...impending health conditions incoming!!!
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-16-2021, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 08:35 AM)Dimson Wrote: Both have experience in our new offense. Dorsett is really, really fast when healthy. Urban wants more speed.

(So was Laurent Robinson)

So sad and so true.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(03-16-2021, 12:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Agreed, but we're not plugging any holes. The only thing we're improving is special teams.

To be fair we do punt alot! and this coming year looks like we will have special teams on the field alot again

There problem is most of the team is a hole, so the fact that they're not improving anywhere is really worrisome. Either they need to do a lot of free agent signing, or they could be trying to draft for need. You really don't want to be drafting for need, ever.

They see it differently. It's obvious from what Meyer had said, and their actions, that they don't believe there are as many holes on this team that most believe there are. 

Again, I'm not saying I agree with everything they're doing. I'm just not surprised by it because it's exactly what they said they would do.

(03-16-2021, 12:24 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 11:33 AM)Dimson Wrote: No way Khan told them to not spend. We have to reach the cap floor. No way can we not spend money.

Considering the huge financial investment that Shad Khan made in bringing in Urban Meyer to be the key football person in the Jaguars organization,  I strongly believe that Khan is more than comfortable with Meyer and co. spending a large amount of cash on player contracts.  

I understand and respect concerns mentioned in this and other threads. It's never easy when expectations don't become a reality.  

I think two themes of the strategy by Meyer are to build up depth and competition. As well as Special Teams.  Then use the draft as the primary vehicle to get eventual high end starters.  It's still possible for one or more high end starting veteran players to be added this year. But it looks like they would be the exceptions.

Here is my issue. How can we build depth when we don't even have clear cut starters at some of these positions? I understand about building teams via the draft. That is definitely how it should be done, but always believed that you plug holes in free agency with positions that may have weaker classes in the draft. So far, that isn't even a reality in this case. We're just signing low end competition and backups. I don't see one clear cut starter out of all the players we've signed. Just backups and guys who could compete for starting positions. Unless something really big happens tomorrow when teams have to get under the salary cap and we miraculously add a really quality starter for a position of need, I can't see this free agency as anything other than a complete waste of time.

(03-16-2021, 12:33 PM)DawgJag Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed, but we're not plugging any holes. The only thing we're improving is special teams.

They see it differently. It's obvious from what Meyer had said, and their actions, that they don't believe there are as many holes on this team that most believe there are. 

Again, I'm not saying I agree with everything they're doing. I'm just not surprised by it because it's exactly what they said they would do.

Well as long as they take Lawrence and he's who we think he is, the offense should be fine. It's a little alarming we haven't gone after a cb or more interior d line. If we don't sign a fs I assume we take one early in the draft? Otherwise the defense will be all world bad. Again.

(03-16-2021, 12:33 PM)DawgJag Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed, but we're not plugging any holes. The only thing we're improving is special teams.

Logic tells me when you are 1-15, you have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the football. You can't ignore logic. They are either ignorant or are completely out of their element if this is their frame of mind.

(03-16-2021, 12:31 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:28 PM)DawgJag Wrote: Mrs. Meyer, that's cute.

Ok Mrs. Twopost...paid professionals get fired too! Secondly,  Urban Meyer's window is short...impending health conditions incoming!!!
Wow, you're so cool with all your posting prowess! 

Of course they could be wrong and get fired. Coaches and GMs don't make wrong decisions on purpose. They obviously believe these are the right moves. And guess what, they could be. I know this has never occurred to you, but maybe, just maybe, you don't know what the hell you're talking about and the guys getting paid millions, who have done this for decades, just might.

Take it for what it is but it’s actually not as bad as we think. We’re getting fringe starters with upside with most of them. Which leaves the draft completely open for bap. I very much dislike the Carlos Hyde signing.

(03-16-2021, 12:38 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:33 PM)DawgJag Wrote: They see it differently. It's obvious from what Meyer had said, and their actions, that they don't believe there are as many holes on this team that most believe there are. 

Well as long as they take Lawrence and he's who we think he is, the offense should be fine. It's a little alarming we haven't gone after a cb or more interior d line. If we don't sign a fs I assume we take one early in the draft? Otherwise the defense will be all world bad. Again.

How so? He needs protection and he isn't getting that. He needs a "safety net" (TE) and he isn't getting that either. Look at Pat Mahomes. He is arguably the best QB in the NFL and he was running for his life in the Superbowl and they lost the game because of it. This will be Lawrence if he's lucky. If he's not, he'll be Joe Burrow.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 01:00 PM by DawgJag.)

(03-16-2021, 12:38 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:33 PM)DawgJag Wrote: They see it differently. It's obvious from what Meyer had said, and their actions, that they don't believe there are as many holes on this team that most believe there are. 

Agreed. Lawrence is the answer here. I would certainly like to upgrade the roster in free agency. I just don't see anyone available that would make a big enough difference to lose my mind over because we didn't sign them. Sure there are some slight upgrades out there. But the difference makers will be aquired through the draft.

(03-16-2021, 12:45 PM)DawgJag Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:38 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Well as long as they take Lawrence and he's who we think he is, the offense should be fine. It's a little alarming we haven't gone after a cb or more interior d line. If we don't sign a fs I assume we take one early in the draft? Otherwise the defense will be all world bad. Again.
Agreed. Lawrence is the answer here. I would certainly like to upgrade the roster in free agency. I just don't see anyone available that would make a big enough difference to lose my mind over because we didn't sign them. Sure there are some slight upgrades out there. But the difference makers will be squires through the draft.

That's because all those difference makers have already been signed by different teams. There were a ton of them that would have helped us tremendously.

I still think we might land some bigger name players with trades down the line. A lot of teams will have to make some tough salary Cap decisions yet, and trading a six or seventh round draft pick for a stud due to the salary reasons may be a possibility