Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(03-16-2021, 12:45 PM)DawgJag Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:38 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Well as long as they take Lawrence and he's who we think he is, the offense should be fine. It's a little alarming we haven't gone after a cb or more interior d line. If we don't sign a fs I assume we take one early in the draft? Otherwise the defense will be all world bad. Again.
Agreed. Lawrence is the answer here. I would certainly like to upgrade the roster in free agency. I just don't see anyone available that would make a big enough difference to lose my mind over because we didn't sign them. Sure there are some slight upgrades out there. But the difference makers will be squires through the draft.

Those of you who create accounts during regime changes dont last very long
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2021, 12:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:33 PM)DawgJag Wrote: They see it differently. It's obvious from what Meyer had said, and their actions, that they don't believe there are as many holes on this team that most believe there are. 

Again, I'm not saying I agree with everything they're doing. I'm just not surprised by it because it's exactly what they said they would do.

Logic tells me when you are 1-15, you have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the football. You can't ignore logic. They are either ignorant or are completely out of their element if this is their frame of mind.

I get what you're saying. But I honestly don't believe this roster was a bad as it's record. I remember a lot of very close games that even just a competent QB could have been the difference. If Lawrence is who we all believe he is, this team, with just him, doesn't resemble last year's team. They competed in almost every game until the end of the year when they obviously gave up for the last four games.

https://twitter.com/BoldStatePod/status/...5054188550
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(03-16-2021, 12:50 PM)DawgJag Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Logic tells me when you are 1-15, you have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the football. You can't ignore logic. They are either ignorant or are completely out of their element if this is their frame of mind.

I get what you're saying. But I honestly don't believe this roster was a bad as it's record. I remember a lot of very close games that even just a competent QB could have been the difference. If Lawrence is who we all believe he is, this team, with just him, doesn't resemble last year's team. They competed in almost every game until the end of the year when they obviously gave up for the last four games.

Belief and reality are two entirely different things.

Shaq Griffin to Jacksonville !!! YEAH !!!

https://twitter.com/JustCarter89/status/...5259581443

Laughing Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Shaquill Griffin baby!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-16-2021, 12:54 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Shaq Griffin to Jacksonville !!!  YEAH !!!

No way, what will the experts say now?

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 12:57 PM by DawgJag.)

(03-16-2021, 12:49 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:45 PM)DawgJag Wrote: Agreed. Lawrence is the answer here. I would certainly like to upgrade the roster in free agency. I just don't see anyone available that would make a big enough difference to lose my mind over because we didn't sign them. Sure there are some slight upgrades out there. But the difference makers will be squires through the draft.

Those of you who create accounts during regime changes dont last very long
Ok. I've been coming to this board for 15 years, betty boo. Mostly as a lurker but occasionally post. I took a break for a little while and couldn't remember my login and it was easier to start a new one.

(03-16-2021, 12:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:50 PM)DawgJag Wrote: I get what you're saying. But I honestly don't believe this roster was a bad as it's record. I remember a lot of very close games that even just a competent QB could have been the difference. If Lawrence is who we all believe he is, this team, with just him, doesn't resemble last year's team. They competed in almost every game until the end of the year when they obviously gave up for the last four games.

Belief and reality are two entirely different things.

Maybe. The decision makers obviously feel the same.

(03-16-2021, 12:55 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:54 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Shaq Griffin to Jacksonville !!!  YEAH !!!

That we still have a lot of work to do. Griffin is a start.

Griffin is a nice signing. 3 years $44.5m, $29m gtd.

(03-16-2021, 12:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/MikeDugar/status/137...01536?s=19

I'm Luvn this signing.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(03-16-2021, 12:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 12:24 PM)D6 Wrote: Considering the huge financial investment that Shad Khan made in bringing in Urban Meyer to be the key football person in the Jaguars organization,  I strongly believe that Khan is more than comfortable with Meyer and co. spending a large amount of cash on player contracts.  

I understand and respect concerns mentioned in this and other threads. It's never easy when expectations don't become a reality.  

I think two themes of the strategy by Meyer are to build up depth and competition. As well as Special Teams.  Then use the draft as the primary vehicle to get eventual high end starters.  It's still possible for one or more high end starting veteran players to be added this year. But it looks like they would be the exceptions.

Here is my issue. How can we build depth when we don't even have clear cut starters at some of these positions? I understand about building teams via the draft. That is definitely how it should be done, but always believed that you plug holes in free agency with positions that may have weaker classes in the draft. So far, that isn't even a reality in this case. We're just signing low end competition and backups. I don't see one clear cut starter out of all the players we've signed. Just backups and guys who could compete for starting positions. Unless something really big happens tomorrow when teams have to get under the salary cap and we miraculously add a really quality starter for a position of need, I can't see this free agency as anything other than a complete waste of time.

The approach the Jaguars are likely taking, to at least some extent, is that even with positions that have weaker classes, they will wait until the 2022 or 2023 Draft to try to find a more upside high end solution. 

One specific aspect of this strategy that I think opens itself to criticism is that Trevor Lawrence has a limited window on his rookie contract. The longer the Jaguars wait to have higher end players in place that are ready to play at a level needed to win consistently,  the less the Jaguars will take advantage of the window that Lawrence will be a bargain under the salary cap.

What if we were mistakenly talking to the agent of the other Shaq (Shaquem the LB) .... lol

Griffin is a good addition, wasn't one of my fave targets but at least it's a proven player. Let's build on this hopefully.

Feels like the two CB positions are solved.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 01:12 PM by Upper.)

Of course, Griffin was the fools gold signing of this CB class and we paid way more than projected again.

41. CB SHAQUILL GRIFFIN
A former third-round pick from the 2017 NFL Draft, Shaquill Griffin has been a starter for the Seahawks pretty much from Day 1, but it wasn’t until 2019 that the team really started to see plus play from him. That year, he posted a PFF grade of 78.0, and though he didn’t have any interceptions, he did record 13 pass breakups. He hasn’t managed to replicate that level of play this season, but he has been dealing with injuries and has still flashed high-end play, like against Miami where he didn’t allow a single reception all game long.

Griffin is one of two Seattle cornerbacks set to hit free agency (Quinton Dunbar), and both have dealt with injury issues for most of the year. After a 2019 season in which Griffin registered a 77.0 defensive grade and 76.0 coverage grade, he slid to 64.1 and 63.6, respectively, in 2020.

Contract Analysis: Healthy once again and with playoff football on the horizon, perhaps Shaquill Griffin can turn things around before free agency. He got off to a good start in that regard with a solid performance against the Eagles in Week 12; more of the same could change the narrative in a hurry before the season is over.

Prediction: Three years, $28.5 million ($9.5M APY): $15.5M total guaranteed, $8M fully guaranteed at signing.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 01:16 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Yay. We sign a starting CB from the second worst pass defense in the entire NFL last season. That'll help.

That he played on the 2nd worst pass defense in the NFL last season.

CJ on the #1 and Shaq on #2 should be adequate. Shaq is def not a #1 cover guy though. Overpaid, but hey... thats FA. Good signing.