Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential 2021 Free Agents

(03-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 10:16 AM)D6 Wrote: I don't think Bill Belichick has given up on the two Middle Round draft pick TEs from last year.  Yet, I believe he recognizes that their ceilings are limited.  Hence,  the Hunter Henry addition this morning:

Adam Schefter on Twitter: "And New England strikes again: The Patriots are signing former Chargers' TE Hunter Henry to a three-year, $37.5 million deal, including $25 million guaranteed, per source. Free agency's top two tight ends, Henry and Jonnu Smith, wind up in New England." / Twitter
I don't see New England keeping four TEs.  One of those two draftees will get cut-ar at the very least be inactive all year barring serious injury to Smith or Henry.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the 2020 Patriots mid round TEs ends up on IR during the summer or early in the regular season.  

If the Patriots end up keeping 4 TEs on the roster,  it will probably be with the mindset that the running game will be the focal point of their Offense again.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-16-2021, 05:16 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 04:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't see New England keeping four TEs.  One of those two draftees will get cut-ar at the very least be inactive all year barring serious injury to Smith or Henry.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the 2020 Patriots mid round TEs ends up on IR during the summer or early in the regular season.  

If the Patriots end up keeping 4 TEs on the roster,  it will probably be with the mindset that the running game will be the focal point of their Offense again.

Considering they re-acquired Trent Brown, going to a more run oriented attack may be exactly what they are doing.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-16-2021, 05:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:16 PM)D6 Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me if one of the 2020 Patriots mid round TEs ends up on IR during the summer or early in the regular season.  

Considering they re-acquired Trent Brown, going to a more run oriented attack may be exactly what they are doing.

The Patriots will bring back memories of the NFL from the 1970s.  Sam 'Bam' Cunningham throwback jerseys should sell well in New England.  lol

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2021, 06:24 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-16-2021, 05:40 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Considering they re-acquired Trent Brown, going to a more run oriented attack may be exactly what they are doing.

The Patriots will bring back memories of the NFL from the 1970s.  Sam 'Bam' Cunningham throwback jerseys should sell well in New England.  lol

He was a helluva FB in his day...with Don Calhoun, with Russ Francis and John Hannah leading the way.  Those late 70s-mid 80's Patriots teams were among my favorites.

Actually, the Patriots were making that transition to more of a running team during their last SB run, and it was a smart move, especially given their ineptitude at WR.

Tacks to sign Janorris Jenkins

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...s-jenkins/

(03-17-2021, 02:12 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I understand his injury history, especially the achilles this past season, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Jags take a chance on and sign S Malik Hooker.  If you can be patient with his continued recovery from the injury for a season, the reward would be a pro bowl level free safety.  I would assume he could be signed to a fairly minimal deal.

Pro Bowl level?  Where do you get that idea?  

I wouldn't waste a roster spot on a guy who has had that many injuries, anyway.

(03-16-2021, 06:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 05:40 PM)D6 Wrote: The Patriots will bring back memories of the NFL from the 1970s.  Sam 'Bam' Cunningham throwback jerseys should sell well in New England.  lol

He was a helluva FB in his day...with Don Calhoun, with Russ Francis and  John Hannah leading the way.  Those late 70s-mid 80's Patriots teams were among my favorites.

Actually, the Patriots were making that transition to more of a running team during their last SB run, and it was a smart move, especially given their ineptitude at WR.

The Leon Gray- John Hannah LT-LG combo on the Patriots Offensive Line was one of the best I have seen.  Other than the Raiders combo of Art Shell and Gene Upshaw,  there might not have been a better LT-LG combo in the last 5 decades.

As much as Cam Newton struggled with accuracy in his first season with the Patriots, he certainly was at a huge disadvantage with the WR corp the Patriots had.  N'Keal Harry struggling in his first 2 seasons has already proven very costly for the Patriots.  Both, in terms of the adverse affect on the Patriots Offense in 2020 and the FA investment in Raiders UFA Nelson Agholor this week that resulted.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 05:09 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-17-2021, 04:27 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 06:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote: He was a helluva FB in his day...with Don Calhoun, with Russ Francis and  John Hannah leading the way.  Those late 70s-mid 80's Patriots teams were among my favorites.

The Leon Gray- John Hannah LT-LG combo on the Patriots Offensive Line was one of the best I have seen.  Other than the Raiders combo of Art Shell and Gene Upshaw,  there might not have been a better LT-LG combo in the last 5 decades.

As much as Cam Newton struggled with accuracy in his first season with the Patriots, he certainly was at a huge disadvantage with the WR corp the Patriots had.  N'Keal Harry struggling in his first 2 seasons has already proven very costly for the Patriots.  Both, in terms of the adverse affect on the Patriots Offense in 2020 and the FA investment in Raiders UFA Nelson Agholor this week that resulted.

As far as LT-LG combos, I'd throw in Walter Jones-Steve Hutchinson in Seattle.  I'm tempted to include one of those 80s Bengals OLs, but I can't remember who played LG.  As for those Patriot teams of that era, I liked lots of players from that defense as well...like Rod Choate, Steve Nelson, Tim Fox and Raymond Claiborne.

Newton had a lot of disadvantages going into last year.  Aside from zero WR help in New England, the recovery from the shoulder, combined with Covid kept him away from the Patriots for a long time, giving him less time to digest the playbook.  But I'm not shedding any tears for him or the Patriots.

The Walter Jones- Steve Hutchinson combo belongs in the conversation. Extraordinary tandem!

Dave Lapham is the Bengals LG that comes to mind, who played next to Anthony Munoz for part of his career.

Ray 'Sugar Bear' Hamilton is one of the other Patriots Defensive players from that era that brings back memories. Classic nickname!

I'm far from convinced that Can Newton will take the most snaps for the Patriots this coming season. At the very least, I think there will be major competition for Newton this time around.

Riley Reiff visiting the Bengals.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-a...-news-buzz

Lost in the shuffle...the Pats release the Albino Tiger: Marquise Lee

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

JuJu back to the steelers
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(03-19-2021, 02:05 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: JuJu back to the steelers

As critical as I was of Juju Smith-Schuster for his immaturity, kudos to him for re-signing with the Steelers after he all but eliminated that option. If JSS builds on this decision, with similar maturity, both the Steelers and JSS should benefit.

(03-19-2021, 05:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...96384?s=19

Justin Simmons not only hit paydirt financially. Simmons could easily have an even better season in 2021, with the Broncos signing Kyle Fuller yesterday. This after they signed Ronald Darby in the last few days. 

Kyle Fuller had huge success playing under Vic Fangio with the Bears.  I'm anticipating Fuller having a Pro Bowl caliber season with the Broncos.  IMHO,  the Broncos being able to land Kyle Fuller for a 1 yr. / $ 9.5 million will turn out to be one of best FA addition decisions in the NFL in 2021( if he remains relatively healthy much more often than not ).

(03-21-2021, 03:24 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 05:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...96384?s=19

Justin Simmons not only hit paydirt financially. Simmons could easily have an even better season in 2021, with the Broncos signing Kyle Fuller yesterday. This after they signed Ronald Darby in the last few days. 

Kyle Fuller had huge success playing under Vic Fangio with the Bears.  I'm anticipating Fuller having a Pro Bowl caliber season with the Broncos.  IMHO,  the Broncos being able to land Kyle Fuller for a 1 yr. / $ 9.5 million will turn out to be one of best FA addition decisions in the NFL in 2021( if he remains relatively healthy much more often than not ).

Agree, the Broncos could be a sleeper team this year imo with what they have done in FA and with Sutton and Miller coming back.  I also feel like this could be Lock's break out year

(03-21-2021, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 03:24 PM)D6 Wrote: Justin Simmons not only hit paydirt financially. Simmons could easily have an even better season in 2021, with the Broncos signing Kyle Fuller yesterday. This after they signed Ronald Darby in the last few days. 

Agree, the Broncos could be a sleeper team this year imo with what they have done in FA and with Sutton and Miller coming back.  I also feel like this could be Lock's break out year

My guess is that new Broncos GM George Paton is either going to trade up from pick # 9 for a QB or trade for a QB. Jets QB Sam Darnold comes to mind as a possibility. 

Being that Paton and OC Pat Shurmur weren't in the Broncos organization when John Elway drafted Drew Lock and the Broncos tried to trade with the Lions for Matthew Stafford,  I don't think there's enough of a comfort level with Lock to satisfy Paton.

Drew Lock realistically could have a breakout year, if given the opportunity.  Whether he will be given the opportunity remains to be seen.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2021, 07:52 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-22-2021, 07:37 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agree, the Broncos could be a sleeper team this year imo with what they have done in FA and with Sutton and Miller coming back.  I also feel like this could be Lock's break out year

My guess is that new Broncos GM George Paton is either going to trade up from pick # 9 for a QB or trade for a QB. Jets QB Sam Darnold comes to mind as a possibility. 

Being that Paton and OC Pat Shurmur weren't in the Broncos organization when John Elway drafted Drew Lock and the Broncos tried to trade with the Lions for Matthew Stafford,  I don't think there's enough of a comfort level with Lock to satisfy Paton.

Drew Lock realistically could have a breakout year, if given the opportunity.  Whether he will be given the opportunity remains to be seen.

That is true,, Mac Jones is a possibility there and I think would be a great fit.  If the don't take a QB I think they go Micha Parsons or Jalen Collins.  One of those MLBs could be the difference maker for that defense imo

(03-22-2021, 07:37 PM)D6 Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 03:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Agree, the Broncos could be a sleeper team this year imo with what they have done in FA and with Sutton and Miller coming back.  I also feel like this could be Lock's break out year

I've been trying to figure out what Denver will do at 9 now that they have Fuller.  They have the makings of a good secondary.

Trying to move up for a QB makes some sense.  Darnold will feel like he's in heaven after leaving the talent depleted Jets to end up in Denver with those weapons.

Tackle would seem to be the only position that makes sense for them at that spot. 

Maybe Parsons, if they can deal with his off the field issues.

(03-22-2021, 07:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 07:37 PM)D6 Wrote: My guess is that new Broncos GM George Paton is either going to trade up from pick # 9 for a QB or trade for a QB. Jets QB Sam Darnold comes to mind as a possibility. 

That is true,, Mac Jones is a possibility there and I think would be a great fit.  If the don't take a QB I think they go Micha Parsons or Jalen Collins.  One of those MLBs could be the difference maker for that defense imo

Being that George Paton worked under Vikings GM  Rick Spielman and the Vikings history under Spielman is often going for a potential Home Run player ( with higher risk ), it's easy to envision Micah Parsons as the Broncos selection with pick # 9. That much more if the Broncos trade for a QB ( w/ o pick # 9 being in the deal ) that Paton considers starting caliber.