Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

Aldon Smith is available

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-17-2021, 07:06 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1372...80802?s=21

When I first heard O'Shaughnessy was re-signed, I was a little mixed.  Obviously, he upgrades the roster, but I was concerned that this might be it at tight end.  I like O'Shaugnessy for depth, but not as the primary starter.  Although you can keep four tight ends, teams usually keep three and that would be O'Shaugnessy, Manhertz and Oliver.  By trading Oliver, it says to me that they are still looking in free agency or the draft for someone better.

However, in regards to Oliver, I don't like it.  I think you should give players time to develop.  What if the injuries were just some bad luck?  He was a high third round pick and it's only been two years.  Maybe he never succeeds, but the cost of giving him one more year to try was incredibly low.

(03-17-2021, 08:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 07:06 PM)BushCheney2000 Wrote: https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1372...80802?s=21

When I first heard O'Shaughnessy was re-signed, I was a little mixed.  Obviously, he upgrades the roster, but I was concerned that this might be it at tight end.  I like O'Shaugnessy for depth, but not as the primary starter.  Although you can keep four tight ends, teams usually keep three and that would be O'Shaugnessy, Manhertz and Oliver.  By trading Oliver, it says to me that they are still looking in free agency or the draft for someone better.

However, in regards to Oliver, I don't like it.  I think you should give players time to develop.  What if the injuries were just some bad luck?  He was a high third round pick and it's only been two years.  Maybe he never succeeds, but the cost of giving him one more year to try was incredibly low.

He has had 2 seasons and been on the bench 95% of the time.  The best ability is availability.  Good Riddance I say.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

This would be a good pick up for the Bengals
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...54336?s=19

(03-17-2021, 08:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This would be a good pick up for the Bengals

Hopefully he signs with us.

If not us, I'd rather he sign with the Bengals or Chiefs as opposed to signing with the Colts.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021, 10:00 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-17-2021, 08:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This would be a good pick up for the Bengals

He'd be a great addition here. If he signs with the Bengals, that would push one of the top OT's down in round 1.

I can see the Bengals getting Chase to team backup with Burrow

Make a Push for Ertz, Reiff and Harrison! Do it Baalke/Meyer!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 07:23 AM by JagSwag.)

SignMeUpAtQBMake a Push for Ertz, Reiff and Harrison! Do it Baalke/Meyer!!!
It’s the hope that kills you!

(03-18-2021, 07:22 AM)JagSwag Wrote: Make a Push for Ertz, Reiff and Harrison! Do it Baalke/Meyer!!!

It’s the hope that kills you!

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 09:12 AM by Mikey.)

(03-17-2021, 06:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 04:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...18855?s=19

If the rumor is true, I would consider it.  However, you don't have a replacement on the team for him yet.  IIRC they got a 5th for Gabbert so somewhere around that is what I would expect.  Unless a solid veteran backup is available, I might think twice.

If they move him, I wonder if Chase Daniel would be in the mix. Not saying he's anything great, but familiarity with Bevell's offense would be valuable.

(03-17-2021, 07:58 PM)Ordar Wrote: So it’s Trevor -> Safety -> TE in the draft then with the first 3 picks

....if TC is drafting, sure.

I thought we purged him from the FO a few years back, though.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 09:19 AM by Mikey.)

(03-17-2021, 08:31 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 04:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1372...18855?s=19

I found this surprising, particularly the "a few" part.  One team I could understand, but "a few" is surprising.  There's a couple of possibilities.  First, it could just be a rumor.  However, Ian Rapoport is usually fairly reliable.  Second, it could be the Jaguars spreading that rumor.  Third, it could be real.  If so, I'm thinking it must be salary cap stressed teams.  There are better quarterbacks available in free agency.  Maybe teams just want to see how cheaply they could get Minshew before throwing money at a free agent.

I would take a fourth rounder for him and consider a fifth rounder.  If it's the sixth or later, I just keep Minshew.  I like having three quarterbacks on the roster and he makes a dirt cheap third string quarterback who actually has significant starting experience.

We all know that TLaw is going R1 P1, and Minshew is still on a late-round rookie deal. With no terms advertised, that could be 3 teams offering late 7ths for him, or some bottom of the roster guy they plan to cut.

It makes perfect sense, especially when you consider how affordable he is.

(03-17-2021, 08:42 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

...what if keeping him on the roster prevents you from finding the next Kittle or Gates? Works both ways.

Think of it this way - we get our comp pick for letting him test FA a year early, and likely get more than a comp pick would bring us had he held on to him.

(03-17-2021, 10:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

He'd be a great addition here. If he signs with the Bengals, that would push one of the top OT's down in round 1.

Honestly, if Sewell were there and they passed on him Joey B should slap the GM right in the face.
I'd still run with Sewell at LT and Reiff on the right, Jonah can play backup or kick in at guard.

Phillip Lindsay is available, might we show an interest?

Well, lots of available players today...LOL
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 10:30 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-18-2021, 09:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-17-2021, 10:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He'd be a great addition here. If he signs with the Bengals, that would push one of the top OT's down in round 1.

Honestly, if Sewell were there and they passed on him Joey B should slap the GM right in the face.
I'd still run with Sewell at LT and Reiff on the right, Jonah can play backup or kick in at guard.

You don't take a former first round pick and move him inside or bench him for no reason. Believe it or not, Williams graded out very well last season. He was the only good offensive lineman the Bengals had last year. All my friends are Bengals fans and they were perfectly happy keeping Jonah at LT, but they also realize Penei Sewell is a special LT, so moving Williams to RT makes sense and gives them a pair of great bookend OT's for the next 7-8 years. That is something the Bengals have been lacking for decades. The Bengals interest in Reiff is interesting. It tells me they are not super confident that Sewell will be there when they pick. Reiff would be an insurance policy and if signed, would allow them to draft another position or possibly move down in the draft to add much need picks in round 1. Reiff played very well in 2020 and shows the flexibility to play either side. The Bengals have a lot of needs. They could use another DE opposite Trey Hendrickson. They could use a pass rushing interior D-Lineman. They could use a dynamic WR to add to that young WR unit or they could use a receiving threat at the TE position. I could see all of those positions targeted in round 1, if they solidify the OT spot opposite Jonah Williams. They could then use their mid round picks to finally make the interior O-Line an area of strength. With a good draft and a healthy Joe Burrow, they Bengals are likely only 2 years away from making a deep playoff run.

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 10:36 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Would be the perfect change of pace and complementary back to JRob and give us more speed like Urban wants

https://twitter.com/MikeMcCartney7/statu...60579?s=19

(03-18-2021, 10:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Would be the perfect change of pace and complementary back to JRob and give us more speed like Urban wants

I certainly wouldn't object. I like Lindsay. I just think his upside is limited. I see a couple of RB's in the draft like Michael Carter of North Carolina and Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis, that I see as having phenomenal upside. I'd target either one of them in the mid-late rounds. Those guys are game breakers and both have excellent hands. They would be the perfect compliment to James Robinson.

(03-18-2021, 10:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:36 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Would be the perfect change of pace and complementary back to JRob and give us more speed like Urban wants

I certainly wouldn't object. I like Lindsay. I just think his upside is limited. I see a couple of RB's in the draft like Michael Carter of North Carolina and Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis, that I see as having phenomenal upside. I'd target either one of them in the mid-late rounds. Those guys are game breakers and both have excellent hands. They would be the perfect compliment to James Robinson.

You are sleeping on Lindsay's upside.  Dude had over 1000 yards in his first 2 years in the league and just was injured some last year.  Hes one of the fastest RBs and is a decent pass catcher and has never really had that good of a oline to run behind.  You say game breaker but neither of those backs are faster than Lindsay who is a home run hitter.

(03-18-2021, 10:53 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 10:42 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I certainly wouldn't object. I like Lindsay. I just think his upside is limited. I see a couple of RB's in the draft like Michael Carter of North Carolina and Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis, that I see as having phenomenal upside. I'd target either one of them in the mid-late rounds. Those guys are game breakers and both have excellent hands. They would be the perfect compliment to James Robinson.

You are sleeping on Lindsay's upside.  Dude had over 1000 yards in his first 2 years in the league and just was injured some last year.  Hes one of the fastest RBs and is a decent pass catcher and has never really had that good of a oline to run behind.  You say game breaker but neither of those backs are faster than Lindsay who is a home run hitter.

We shall see. Memphis Pro Day is tomorrow and North Carolina's is at the end of the month. I didn't say Lindsay wasn't a game breaker. I just like the upside of the other guys a bit more. Carter is the most explosive RB in the entire draft. If he was bigger, he'd be a first rounder, but his size relegates him to a change of pace type RB and Gainwell is the best receiving RB in this class, imo. I like Lindsay a lot, but I am totally enamored by Carter and Gainwell and what they could do in our offense, if used correctly.