Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags and Free Agency

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 04:36 PM by TheDuke007.)

(03-27-2021, 10:35 AM)ATLjag Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 12:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Ugh! He flat out, sucked!

As a minimum wage backup with experience, I would take him over Wingard (....which doesn't say much).  I figure these guys are likely on the wrong side of the bubble to make the 53 roster anyway.

My reaction when I saw the news was to say "I hope we aren't paying him guaranteed money."  Barring injury, I don't see Josh Jones making our 53 man roster.  Jenkins starts at strong safety.  Daniel Thomas is given a chance to develop as his backup.  We have Jarrod Wilson for free safety, but I would be surprised with all of our draft picks if the Jaguars didn't draft a safety (probably early in the draft) to beat Wilson out or at least provide competition.  Safeties often fall in the draft.  If beaten out, Wilson would remain as a backup.  If not, the draft pick remains as the backup.  We also signed Rudy Ford as a free agent who can provide depth, but is an excellent special teams player which makes him unlikely to be cut.  That's five.  I don't think you keep six.  I don't see Josh Jones or Andrew Wingard making the team. If they are just camp bodies or are here in case of injuries to others, fine.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-27-2021, 04:33 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 10:35 AM)ATLjag Wrote: As a minimum wage backup with experience, I would take him over Wingard (....which doesn't say much).  I figure these guys are likely on the wrong side of the bubble to make the 53 roster anyway.

My reaction when I saw the news was to say "I hope we aren't paying him guaranteed money."  Barring injury, I don't see Josh Jones making our 53 man roster.  Jenkins starts at strong safety.  Daniel Thomas is given a chance to develop as his backup.  We have Jarrod Wilson for free safety, but I would be surprised with all of our draft picks if the Jaguars didn't draft a safety (probably early in the draft) to beat Wilson out or at least provide competition.  Safeties often fall in the draft.  If beaten out, Wilson would remain as a backup.  If not, the draft pick remains as the backup.  We also signed Rudy Ford as a free agent who can provide depth, but is an excellent special teams player which makes him unlikely to be cut.  That's five.  I don't think you keep six.  I don't see Josh Jones or Andrew Wingard making the team.  If they are just camp bodies or are here in case of injuries to others, fine.
If they do keep 5 safeties, they have Wingard, Middleton, and Jones fighting for the last spot.  On a side note, Brandon Watson/Rusnak is a developing player that can play both safety and corner, and is a good special teamer.  With his versatility, he may sneak into the last spot also.

Alualu signing 2 year deal with the steelers

(This post was last modified: 03-27-2021, 07:37 PM by WingerDinger.)

(03-27-2021, 07:32 PM)Gavdab81 Wrote: Alualu signing 2 year deal with the steelers

Sounds like he casted the net, didn't like what he hauled in and decided to cast again.

We got thrown back like a old shoe lolol
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Pelissero said he tested positive for covid so couldn't come sign contract then had change of mind while isolating

(03-27-2021, 05:59 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 04:33 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: My reaction when I saw the news was to say "I hope we aren't paying him guaranteed money."  Barring injury, I don't see Josh Jones making our 53 man roster.  Jenkins starts at strong safety.  Daniel Thomas is given a chance to develop as his backup.  We have Jarrod Wilson for free safety, but I would be surprised with all of our draft picks if the Jaguars didn't draft a safety (probably early in the draft) to beat Wilson out or at least provide competition.  Safeties often fall in the draft.  If beaten out, Wilson would remain as a backup.  If not, the draft pick remains as the backup.  We also signed Rudy Ford as a free agent who can provide depth, but is an excellent special teams player which makes him unlikely to be cut.  That's five.  I don't think you keep six.  I don't see Josh Jones or Andrew Wingard making the team.  If they are just camp bodies or are here in case of injuries to others, fine.
If they do keep 5 safeties, they have Wingard, Middleton, and Jones fighting for the last spot.  On a side note, Brandon Watson/Rusnak is a developing player that can play both safety and corner, and is a good special teamer.  With his versatility, he may sneak into the last spot also.
In regards to the 5 safeties, I listed five.  Which one did I list do you not think will make the team?  Do you think they will not use one of their 10 drafts pick on a safety?

In regards to Watson, special teams and versatility definitely helps, but there's a lot of competition at cornerback too.  If the Jaguars take one in the draft with one of their 10 picks, that position is full too.  If they don't, Watson would still be competing against Chris Claybrooks, Josiah Scott (a 4th rounder from last year), and others for a single roster spot.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021, 08:11 AM by ATLjag.)

(03-27-2021, 09:15 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 05:59 PM)ATLjag Wrote: If they do keep 5 safeties, they have Wingard, Middleton, and Jones fighting for the last spot.  On a side note, Brandon Watson/Rusnak is a developing player that can play both safety and corner, and is a good special teamer.  With his versatility, he may sneak into the last spot also.
In regards to the 5 safeties, I listed five.  Which one did I list do you not think will make the team?  Do you think they will not use one of their 10 drafts pick on a safety?

In regards to Watson, special teams and versatility definitely helps, but there's a lot of competition at cornerback too.  If the Jaguars take one in the draft with one of their 10 picks, that position is full too.  If they don't, Watson would still be competing against Chris Claybrooks, Josiah Scott (a 4th rounder from last year), and others for a single roster spot.
You listed 4 that are currently on the roster to make the team, and then presumed a draft pick at free safety to make it 5.  I think they will draft a safety, but did not count that presumption in looking at who is on the bubble on the current roster.  I agree with you on CB.  The only shot (a very long one) Watson has for the roster is if a safety is not drafted, the new regime is unimpressed with the bubble safeties, and they keep him on as a versatile DB (not just a CB).

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 02:00 PM by ATLjag.)

Spotrac has published Phillip Dorsett contract details for those interested. Dorsett signed a 1 year ("prove it") deal with a base salary of $990,000, and incentives (per game active bonuses) that could raise the overall compensation to just over $1.1 million. Due to some veteran signing advantage in the CBA, he will count $850,000 against the cap. Although his production in his first 6 seasons has been minimal, his best season being 33 catches for just over 500 yards, his upside (and 4.3 speed) is appetizing if someone can find his niche. Although he was out last year due to a foot injury/surgery, he had played well enough in Seattle's camp and preseason to secure the 3rd WR behind Metcalf and Lockett.

I like this signing, as it is low risk, with upside potential. If he doesn't work out, he can be released without negative impact.

Yep absolutely no harm in taking a swing on Dorsett at that price. TL is going to make all the receivers look great anyway

I have an assignment for you guys.

I want Kyle Pitts. Realizing we have to use our first pick to get Lawrence, what kind of deal can we put together to move way back up in the draft and get Pitts? We would probably have to trade with Atlanta or Cincy. Go! And remember, rejecting Pitts is not an option.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 03:06 PM by The Real Marty.)

(04-01-2021, 02:42 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: I have an assignment for you guys.

I want Kyle Pitts.  Realizing we have to use our first pick to get Lawrence, what kind of deal can we put together to move way back up in the draft and get Pitts?  We would probably have to trade with Atlanta or Cincy. Go!  And remember, rejecting Pitts is not an option.

You can do this yourself.  Here is a draft pick value chart.  Notice that Atlanta's first round pick is worth 1800 points. Our 25th pick in the draft is worth 720 points.  Add enough more draft picks of ours to get to 1800 points.  Then you're in range.  Of course, they may want Kyle Pitts as much as you do.  So you have to make them an even better offer.  Add more picks.  

For a pick next year, make it one later round this year.  So a first round pick next year is worth the same as a second round pick this year.  

Go.

Then, when you are finished, think about whether you would give up all those picks for a TE.  Seriously?

(04-01-2021, 03:03 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I want Kyle Pitts.  Realizing we have to use our first pick to get Lawrence, what kind of deal can we put together to move way back up in the draft and get Pitts?  We would probably have to trade with Atlanta or Cincy. Go!  And remember, rejecting Pitts is not an option.

You can do this yourself.  Here is a draft pick value chart.  Notice that Atlanta's first round pick is worth 1800 points. Our 25th pick in the draft is worth 720 points.  Add enough more draft picks of ours to get to 1800 points.  Then you're in range.  Of course, they may want Kyle Pitts as much as you do.  So you have to make them an even better offer.  Add more picks.  

For a pick next year, make it one later round this year.  So a first round pick next year is worth the same as a second round pick this year.  

Go.

Then, when you are finished, think about whether you would give up all those picks for a TE.  Seriously?
But this guy is supposed to be a future HOFer.

I would assume you would trade with Cincy at 1-5 (worth 1700 points), as picks 1-6 through 1-9 appear to me to be his likely destination.  Assuming not giving away future picks, the Jags could offer to Cincy 1-25 (720 points), 2-33 (580 points), and 2-45 (450 points) which totals 1750 points.  

I love Pitts, but giving away 3 good possibly playmaking starters for 1 playmaking TE on a team starved for talent does not seem to be a good trade to me in the Jag's current state.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 03:43 PM by Cleatwood.)

https://twitter.com/gkittle46/status/137...78209?s=21

Imagine if this was real.....

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2021, 04:10 PM by TheDuke007.)

(04-01-2021, 01:33 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Spotrac has published Phillip Dorsett contract details for those interested.   Dorsett signed a 1 year ("prove it") deal with a base salary of $990,000, and incentives (per game active bonuses) that could raise the overall compensation to just over $1.1 million.  Due to some veteran signing advantage in the CBA, he will count $850,000 against the cap.  Although his production in his first 6 seasons has been minimal, his best season being 33 catches for just over 500 yards, his upside (and 4.3 speed) is appetizing if someone can find his niche.  Although he was out last year due to a foot injury/surgery, he had played well enough in Seattle's camp and preseason to secure the 3rd WR behind Metcalf and Lockett.

I like this signing, as it is low risk, with upside potential.  If he doesn't work out, he can be released without negative impact.

To put it in perspective, the league rookie minimum will be $660,000 this year.  The $990,000 is the league minimum for a player with 5 years of experience.  He basically got the lowest salary allowed with the possibility of some very minimal money through incentives.  Some people way over-reacted to this signing.  I've used the "free raffle ticket" analogy before.  If we get lucky, we could win big.  If we lose, no harm done.  I like having those type of players on the 90 man roster.

(04-01-2021, 03:33 PM)ATLjag Wrote:

I would assume you would trade with Cincy at 1-5 (worth 1700 points), as picks 1-6 through 1-9 appear to me to be his likely destination.  Assuming not giving away future picks, the Jags could offer to Cincy 1-25 (720 points), 2-33 (580 points), and 2-45 (450 points) which totals 1750 points.  

I love Pitts, but giving away 3 good possibly playmaking starters for 1 playmaking TE on a team starved for talent does not seem to be a good trade to me in the Jag's current state.

I don't get why people just don't give it up.  How can there be so much talk about something that simply isn't happening?

Ricky Williams deal, trade the rest of our darft for a big WR. grape job.

Let's hope he can fill out and play OT next season.

(04-01-2021, 04:08 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 01:33 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Spotrac has published Phillip Dorsett contract details for those interested.   Dorsett signed a 1 year ("prove it") deal with a base salary of $990,000, and incentives (per game active bonuses) that could raise the overall compensation to just over $1.1 million.  Due to some veteran signing advantage in the CBA, he will count $850,000 against the cap.  Although his production in his first 6 seasons has been minimal, his best season being 33 catches for just over 500 yards, his upside (and 4.3 speed) is appetizing if someone can find his niche.  Although he was out last year due to a foot injury/surgery, he had played well enough in Seattle's camp and preseason to secure the 3rd WR behind Metcalf and Lockett.

I like this signing, as it is low risk, with upside potential.  If he doesn't work out, he can be released without negative impact.

To put it in perspective, the league rookie minimum will be $660,000 this year.  The $990,000 is the league minimum for a player with 5 years of experience.  He basically got the lowest salary allowed with the possibility of some very minimal money through incentives.  Some people way over-reacted to this signing.  I've used the "free raffle ticket" analogy before.  If we get lucky, we could win big.  If we lose, no harm done.  I like having those type of players on the 90 man roster.

(04-01-2021, 03:33 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I would assume you would trade with Cincy at 1-5 (worth 1700 points), as picks 1-6 through 1-9 appear to me to be his likely destination.  Assuming not giving away future picks, the Jags could offer to Cincy 1-25 (720 points), 2-33 (580 points), and 2-45 (450 points) which totals 1750 points.  

I don't get why people just don't give it up.  How can there be so much talk about something that simply isn't happening?

Agreed.

I did this about 2-3 weeks ago (before the SF-Miami trade) , assuming he would go between 5-7. 

Before that trade, I concluded based solely on the trade value chart, we had the picks to get up there, though I gave the caveat that trade value charts are not the sole determinant of trade compensation.  Now whether that would have been cost prohibitive or not was subject to debate.

Now that the SF-Miami trade has gone through and set the market for any other trades into the top 5, I see no [BLEEP] way we get up high enough to get him, assuming him to be a top 5 pick.  This will be especially true if QBs are still on the board, because there will still be QB starved teams like Carolina, Denver, Chicago and Washington wanting to ensure they get one of them driving the price up further.

Think about it.

If it cost three first round picks and a 3rd round pick to move from 12 to 3 without the market being set first, a team like Atlanta or Cincy in the top 5 would laugh at the 25, both 2nds and a 3rd.

Now there is always a chance Pitts could fall (no matter how slim those chances might be), but no trade up for Pitts should be seriously considered unless he fell out of the top 7 or so.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I would not trade any of our first 4 picks to get Kyle Trask. Just not worth it to me. I hope the jags feel the same way. the 25th pick and the first pick of the second day #33 are more valuable than one player. Sounds like a Gene Smith "I am the smartest guy in the room" move.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-02-2021, 11:54 AM)Jag149 Wrote: I would not trade any of our first 4 picks to get Kyle Trask. Just not worth it to me. I hope the jags feel the same way.  the 25th pick and the first pick of the second day #33 are more valuable than one player.  Sounds like a Gene Smith "I am the smartest guy in the room" move.

Kyle Trask or Kyle Pitts?

Ultimately it wouldn't make any difference, but I would hope trading one of our top 4 picks for Kyle Trask isn't a consideration when we are poised to take Trevor Lawrence at #1 overall.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!