Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2021 draft rumors and tweets

(04-29-2021, 07:15 AM)Holger Wrote: Just heard on PFN podcast that Jaguars really like DT Alim McNeill in the 3rd round

Heck, I might say I'd be cool with him at 45, depending on how the picks fall....maybe slide back a few from 45 and get a future pick or two in the process?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-29-2021, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 07:56 AM)Upper Wrote: I'd be fine if they took McNeil at 45 even. He's really good and could definitely be gone before 65.

I like McNeil a lot, but he is basically the same kind of player Malcolm Brown is. We also have Da'Von Hamilton who is a huge run-stuffer as well. Who many NT types do we need?

At least we'd have a hell of a goal line defense.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 10:51 AM by Upper.)

(04-29-2021, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 07:56 AM)Upper Wrote: I'd be fine if they took McNeil at 45 even. He's really good and could definitely be gone before 65.

I like McNeil a lot, but he is basically the same kind of player Malcolm Brown is. We also have Da'Von Hamilton who is a huge run-stuffer as well. Who many NT types do we need?

I know you don't believe it because you Googled his stats and it didn't show a lot of sacks, but he is actually a good pass rusher. He played 20 lbs over his ideal playing weight because NC State wanted him to be their 0 tech. He has already lost the weight and he would be a very good 3 tech lined up next to Brown or Davon.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 11:42 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-29-2021, 10:51 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I like McNeil a lot, but he is basically the same kind of player Malcolm Brown is. We also have Da'Von Hamilton who is a huge run-stuffer as well. Who many NT types do we need?

I know you don't believe it because you Googled his stats and it didn't show a lot of sacks, but he is actually a good pass rusher. He played 20 lbs over his ideal playing weight because NC State wanted him to be their 0 tech. He has already lost the weight and he would be a very good 3 tech lined up next to Brown or Davon.

I did not google stats. I actually watched him play against Pitt and Wake Forest. I'm simply telling you what I saw. He's a very good run stuffer with limited pass rush abilities, just like Malcolm Brown. There's nothing wrong with that. He's a tremendous player. You need those type of guys on your team, but you shouldn't project them to be something they are not and we already have guys of his skill set on our team.

(04-28-2021, 07:47 AM)JNev Wrote: Caleb Farley tested positive for COVID, wonder if his stock will fall or be unaffected. It would be really hard to pass him up if he somehow fell even though it’s near the bottom of the list as far as needs go

Speaking of needs, the more I think about it the more I feel like we have to be disciplined and not take a WR at 25 barring someone like Waddle or Smith falling. Marvin Jones is here for at least a year and will be on the field whenever he’s healthy. Chark is a stud. Viska is a monster in waiting and Colin Johnson showed a lot. I know you can never have too many offensive studs to support your new QB but the defense just has places someone else can help the team more imo. Also I feel like Marshall or either of the Moore’s will be there at 33 or 45 and I don’t know that there’s a massive difference between those 3 if you’re dead set on getting another guy at wideout

I agree.  In the draft, I'm always asking "what player will bring me the most additional wins?".  I don't think that position for the Jaguars is a wide receiver who will be competing for some part time playing time.  I know skill positions are always "fun" for whatever reason, but I want us to win as many games as possible.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 12:20 PM by Bullseye.)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...to-top-10/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...n-rodgers/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

NFL N is saying the Falcons are so tight against the cap they don't even have the money to sign their draft picks, which is why they are trying to deal Julio Jones. I wonder who else they would be willing to trade or cut...or how far they may be willing to trade back to compensate.

NFLN is also saying the Saints are trying to get up into the 7-9 area.

That is a helluva jump up. The only move I can recall that were comparable was the 49ers trading up for JJ Stokes after the Browns missed out on Kyle Brady, and the Julio Jones trade. If they pull off the deal with Detroit or Carolina (both unlikely, but Carolina less likely because they are in the same division), I think that pushes down a lineman.

(04-29-2021, 12:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: NFL N is saying the Falcons are so tight against the cap they don't even have the money to sign their draft picks, which is why they are trying to deal Julio Jones.  I wonder who else they would be willing to trade or cut...or how far they may be willing to trade back to compensate.

That is a helluva jump up.  The only move I can recall that were comparable was the 49ers trading up for JJ Stokes after the Browns missed out on Kyle Brady, and the Julio Jones trade.  If they pull off the deal with Detroit or Carolina (both unlikely, but Carolina less likely because they are in the same division), I think that pushes down a lineman.

That's interesting regarding the Falcons cap woes. I'm seeing reports on Twitter that they are taking calls from everyone. But haven't received an offer that entices them enough to move back. I do wonder how things will end up shaking out for them.

Dianna Russini on Twitter: "The Atlanta Falcons have taken calls from just about everyone. I was told there hasn't been an offer good enough to trade back. They are willing to keep listening. As of now, TE Kyle Pitts would be a selection the Falcons would be THRILLED to have if he's available." / Twitter

(04-29-2021, 10:51 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 09:13 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I like McNeil a lot, but he is basically the same kind of player Malcolm Brown is. We also have Da'Von Hamilton who is a huge run-stuffer as well. Who many NT types do we need?

At his pro day, about 30 days ago, Alim McNeill measured 6'1 7/8" and weighed 317.  He ran an unofficial 4.94 40, a 7.71 3-cone, 30.5 vertical, and benched 225 27 times.  317 with that low center of gravity is still pretty stout.  Not sure what he actually played at during the season, but he looked "girthy".

I seriously can’t believe a TE will go top 5 lol insane

That’s not a knock to Pitts at all either

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 02:28 PM by mal234.)

Here's an interesting report that just came out. Apparently the 49ers reached out the Packers yesterday inquiring about trading for Aaron Rodgers.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...8122096642

Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "#Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said this week “Aaron is our guy. He’s going to be our quarterback for the foreseeable future.” The #49ers still shot their shot, before presumably taking a QB with the No. 3 pick tonight." / Twitter

I guess you can't blame them for asking, lol.

The 49ers sound like they are a bit all over the place when it comes to trying to make a decision regarding their QB situation. Who knows what they might end up doing, lol.

(04-29-2021, 02:13 PM)ATLjag Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 10:51 AM)Upper Wrote: I know you don't believe it because you Googled his stats and it didn't show a lot of sacks, but he is actually a good pass rusher. He played 20 lbs over his ideal playing weight because NC State wanted him to be their 0 tech. He has already lost the weight and he would be a very good 3 tech lined up next to Brown or Davon.

At his pro day, about 30 days ago, Alim McNeill measured 6'1 7/8" and weighed 317.  He ran an unofficial 4.94 40, a 7.71 3-cone, 30.5 vertical, and benched 225 27 times.  317 with that low center of gravity is still pretty stout.  Not sure what he actually played at during the season, but he looked "girthy".

Yep, on the 2 for 1 podcast he said he weight around 340 when he played and he was going to get below 320 for the draft and hopefully in the NFL.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 04:30 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(04-29-2021, 12:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: NFL N is saying the Falcons are so tight against the cap they don't even have the money to sign their draft picks, which is why they are trying to deal Julio Jones.  I wonder who else they would be willing to trade or cut...or how far they may be willing to trade back to compensate.

That is a helluva jump up.  The only move I can recall that were comparable was the 49ers trading up for JJ Stokes after the Browns missed out on Kyle Brady, and the Julio Jones trade.  If they pull off the deal with Detroit or Carolina (both unlikely, but Carolina less likely because they are in the same division), I think that pushes down a lineman.

This one baffles me! The Saints were over the cap so much that they had to cut/trade a lot of starters. You would think they would want to keep as many draft picks as possible to have good starters at most of their positions, but now they are trying to give away draft capital in order to move up? This doesn't make sense.

(04-29-2021, 02:35 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 02:13 PM)ATLjag Wrote: At his pro day, about 30 days ago, Alim McNeill measured 6'1 7/8" and weighed 317.  He ran an unofficial 4.94 40, a 7.71 3-cone, 30.5 vertical, and benched 225 27 times.  317 with that low center of gravity is still pretty stout.  Not sure what he actually played at during the season, but he looked "girthy".

Yep, on the 2 for 1 podcast he said he weight around 340 when he played and he was going to get below 320 for the draft and hopefully in the NFL.

320 lbs. is still the weight of a NT, considering he's only 6'2".

(04-29-2021, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

This one baffles me! The Saints were over the cap so much that they had to cut/trade a lot of starters. You would think they would want to keep as many draft picks as possible to have good starters at most of their positions, but now they are trying to give away draft capital in order to move up? This doesn't make sense.

(04-29-2021, 02:35 PM)Upper Wrote: Yep, on the 2 for 1 podcast he said he weight around 340 when he played and he was going to get below 320 for the draft and hopefully in the NFL.

I don't think the Saints will be able to pull off such a deal.  It would be cost prohibitive in terms of draft choices, and they don't have the picks to spare.  Between the salary cap and the loss of draft picks, the Saints would be talentless for years.

(04-29-2021, 04:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 04:27 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This one baffles me! The Saints were over the cap so much that they had to cut/trade a lot of starters. You would think they would want to keep as many draft picks as possible to have good starters at most of their positions, but now they are trying to give away draft capital in order to move up? This doesn't make sense.

I don't think the Saints will be able to pull off such a deal.  It would be cost prohibitive in terms of draft choices, and they don't have the picks to spare.  Between the salary cap and the loss of draft picks, the Saints would be talentless for years.

Agreed. Who would they even be targeting? Maybe Mac Jones if he slides, but Fields and Lance are no better than Jameis Winston. With Pitts off the board to Atlanta, I don't see anyone worth making that kind of leap for.

(04-29-2021, 04:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 04:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't think the Saints will be able to pull off such a deal.  It would be cost prohibitive in terms of draft choices, and they don't have the picks to spare.  Between the salary cap and the loss of draft picks, the Saints would be talentless for years.

Agreed. Who would they even be targeting? Maybe Mac Jones if he slides, but Fields and Lance are no better than Jameis Winston. With Pitts off the board to Atlanta, I don't see anyone worth making that kind of leap for.

One guy on NFLN speculated they would actually target a CB ahead of Dallas. 

If true, would that mean eventually they plan to let Lattimore walk?

(04-29-2021, 04:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 04:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed. Who would they even be targeting? Maybe Mac Jones if he slides, but Fields and Lance are no better than Jameis Winston. With Pitts off the board to Atlanta, I don't see anyone worth making that kind of leap for.

One guy on NFLN speculated they would actually target a CB ahead of Dallas. 

I don't think so. They lost Janoris Jenkins and P.J. Williams in free agency and they act like the sky is falling. They can be replaced in the draft, but they are freaking out about the CB position.

(04-29-2021, 04:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 04:45 PM)Bullseye Wrote: One guy on NFLN speculated they would actually target a CB ahead of Dallas. 

I don't think so. They lost Janoris Jenkins and P.J. Williams in free agency and they act like the sky is falling. They can be replaced in the draft, but they are freaking out about the CB position.

Not worth it to them though.  They would be far better serves sitting at 27-28 and gambling wither Farley or Newsome falls to them.  If both are gone, then they should go Samuel or one of the Georgia CBs in the 2nd round.

(04-29-2021, 04:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 04:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't think so. They lost Janoris Jenkins and P.J. Williams in free agency and they act like the sky is falling. They can be replaced in the draft, but they are freaking out about the CB position.

Not worth it to them though.  They would be far better serves sitting at 27-28 and gambling wither Farley or Newsome falls to them.  If both are gone, then they should go Samuel or one of the Georgia CBs in the 2nd round.

They have several holes to fill. They could also use a WR, TE, DE, Safety, LB and both of their starting OT's will be UFA after the season.

(04-29-2021, 05:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 04:59 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Not worth it to them though.  They would be far better serves sitting at 27-28 and gambling wither Farley or Newsome falls to them.  If both are gone, then they should go Samuel or one of the Georgia CBs in the 2nd round.

They have several holes to fill. They could also use a WR, TE, DE, Safety, LB and both of their starting OT's will be UFA after the season.

Maybe they will try one last run at the Super Bowl.  Even so, trading up into the top ten isn't the answer for them, unless they don't believe in either Jameis Winston or taysom Hill and decide to get their long term answer at QB.  Short term, they won't go to the Super Bowl, but at least they'd have QB solved for longer term.