Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021, 09:06 PM by RicoTx.)

(06-09-2021, 05:00 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 11:17 AM)RicoTx Wrote: The only thing I write checks for, is my bowling leagues.  Just for tracking purposes and you can't pay with a card for leagues.  You have to stick you money or check in your team's envelope each week.

So it was kind of funny if I filter my bank account for checks (when I was in Jax).  It pretty much read:

Wednesday Night Men's League
Thursday Night Mixed League

so you spent all your spare cash on bowling leagues?

(I'll see myself out)

You struck out with that pun.  You should have framed it up better.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We’re sending you new cards so you can tap the keypad for contactless transactions. Yay! Except only one place I use it doesn’t require me to enter a pin.

(06-09-2021, 10:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I work with a guy who still writes checks for everything. He doesn’t own a debit card.
Online money transfer apps like PayPal, Cash App or Venmo? To him they are the devil’s spawn. An open invite for anyone and everyone to steal your money.

My husband writes checks for all the bills. So archaic. We use debit for groceries and gas and he's fine with Netflix, Discovery+, etc., to be billed through the debit card. He won't give anyone our account info. The first time I saw him writing checks I was like - who did I marry? Lol. 

As for the last who wrote a check in the express lane..... She's an idiot. So are the folks who go through it with a full large cart. Bonus idiot points if they have a couple of screeching kids they have to police.

(06-09-2021, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 10:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I work with a guy who still writes checks for everything. He doesn’t own a debit card.
Online money transfer apps like PayPal, Cash App or Venmo? To him they are the devil’s spawn. An open invite for anyone and everyone to steal your money.

I stood behind a lady at the grocery store a couple weeks ago who wrote a check in the express lane.

Has our society really become so impatient that this is a big deal?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021, 10:34 PM by homebiscuit.)

(06-09-2021, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I stood behind a lady at the grocery store a couple weeks ago who wrote a check in the express lane.

Did she balance the ledger as well? Those are the worst offenders.

(06-09-2021, 09:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

My husband writes checks for all the bills. So archaic. We use debit for groceries and gas and he's fine with Netflix, Discovery+, etc., to be billed through the debit card. He won't give anyone our account info. The first time I saw him writing checks I was like - who did I marry? Lol. 

As for the last who wrote a check in the express lane..... She's an idiot. So are the folks who go through it with a full large cart. Bonus idiot points if they have a couple of screeching kids they have to police.

Some people just can’t let go, especially when it comes to their money. They don’t trust the technology.

I haven’t owned a checkbook in at least 15 years. Even cash is bothersome to me. Debit cards are so freaking convenient.

(06-09-2021, 10:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I stood behind a lady at the grocery store a couple weeks ago who wrote a check in the express lane.

I think he was simply commenting on how outmoded it was.

(06-09-2021, 05:29 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 05:00 PM)Mikey Wrote: so you spent all your spare cash on bowling leagues?

(I'll see myself out)

You struck out with that pun.  You should have framed it up better.

surprised you didn't call me a turkey.

(06-09-2021, 09:07 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

my gripe is the person in the express lane that is either price-checking 90% of the items in their cart, or arguing with the clerk that a corner on this picture frame is scratched, you should mark it down 50%.

Idjit, I just want to pay for my milk and veggies, can you get in the lane reserved for buttmunches? thanks.

(06-09-2021, 10:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I stood behind a lady at the grocery store a couple weeks ago who wrote a check in the express lane.

Did she balance the ledger as well? Those are the worst offenders.

HEY! I feel seen. No shame in operating on a budget and keeping track of your funds.

I have a basic rule. If it's a secure server and I can manually enter the card #, I will. If you are asking me to provide my digits on a piece of paper for a later charge, I write you check. The only things we typically pay by check are school expenses like field trips, yearbooks and such.

(06-10-2021, 08:59 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 05:29 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You struck out with that pun.  You should have framed it up better.

surprised you didn't call me a turkey.

Your mind is in the gutter.

According to the thread title it is exactly a "trivial annoyance."

(06-10-2021, 09:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 10:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Has our society really become so impatient that this is a big deal?

According to the thread title it is exactly a "trivial annoyance."

Ur dum.

Sneakers writing checks. You’re a pretty cool dude, my man. Just go to your financial institution and get a debit card.

GPay for all.

The point of the express lane is to get checked out quickly and move on so the next person can get through quickly. Writing a check is opposite of express lane.

(06-11-2021, 06:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 10:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Has our society really become so impatient that this is a big deal?

The point of the express lane is to get checked out quickly and move on so the next person can get through quickly. Writing a check is opposite of express lane.

To the bolded,   You’re absolutely correct.  I’m not quite sure the poor souls behind us is incorporated in that.  He/she really should be.  Here I am wearing my “thinking and feeling for others hat”.  It sucks.  

I propose an old, about to be gone, lane.  Problem is most of the employees are paid hourly.  What business wants to pay hourly to appease old peeps?

(06-11-2021, 06:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Is it faster to have to void the entire sale if you realize your debit card is on the counter at home or in the car, or worse, in some pickpocket's hands?

In the grand scheme of my day, if waiting two minutes in the express lane for someone to write a check is the worst thing that I have to face, it is one heckuva good day.

Not leaning in to you personally, americus, but this is a thing we try to instill in our (impatient) children - judging and assumption can put us in a bad place, we don't know why the young person is riding around on the rascal cart, or why they are wearing pajamas in the store, or why they are writing a check in the express lane. I guess that sense of entitlement and judginess is my trivial annoyance. And of course, being kids, they know that this is the button to push any time they want to rile up dad. Smile

(06-11-2021, 07:50 PM)Jags Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 06:51 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: The point of the express lane is to get checked out quickly and move on so the next person can get through quickly. Writing a check is opposite of express lane.

To the bolded,   You’re absolutely correct.  I’m not quite sure the poor souls behind us is incorporated in that.  He/she really should be.  Here I am wearing my “thinking and feeling for others hat”.  It sucks.  

I propose an old, about to be gone, lane.  Problem is most of the employees are paid hourly.  What business wants to pay hourly to appease old peeps?

The solution is now to let you do all the work of the hourly people, and pay just one person to oversee all of the amateurs.

Progress?

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2021, 09:04 AM by RicoTx.)

I bought a Bose soundbar for my Vizio 52 inch TV, but it was a 'dumb' TV.  I wanted to get a new smart TV, so I invested in a new Samsung 50 inch UHD.  Everything was copacetic for about three months.  Then the soundbar stopped playing the TV audio.  Turns out there is a software issue between the Samsung TVs and Bose soundbars and this is a known issue.  I guess in the long run, it's my fault.  But who the [BLEEP] knew to even check something like that?  So now I have a $1200 Bose decoration sitting in my entertainment stand.

I guess the pricetag makes it more than trivial.     Angry

(06-14-2021, 09:03 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I bought a Bose soundbar for my Vizio 52 inch TV, but it was a 'dumb' TV.  I wanted to get a new smart TV, so I invested in a new Samsung 50 inch UHD.  Everything was copacetic for about three months.  Then the soundbar stopped playing the TV audio.  Turns out there is a software issue between the Samsung TVs and Bose soundbars and this is a known issue.  I guess in the long run, it's my fault.  But who the [BLEEP] knew to even check something like that?  So now I have a $1200 Bose decoration sitting in my entertainment stand.

I guess the pricetag makes it more than trivial.     Angry

Is it completely wireless, or is there an option for an optical or HDMI cable?