Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Basically what he is saying in Laymen terms is that Ronster is Right. And just so you know, I usually am... I'M JUST SAYIN!!
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-15-2021, 01:45 PM)Ronster Wrote: Basically what he is saying in Laymen terms is that Ronster is Right. And just so you know, I usually am... I'M JUST SAYIN!!

Two words:  Nick Foles
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-15-2021, 01:45 PM)Ronster Wrote: Basically what he is saying in Laymen terms is that Ronster is Right. And just so you know, I usually am... I'M JUST SAYIN!!
It's "layman's terms"......

(06-15-2021, 01:32 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Sure. Cognitive dissonance is real, but that doesn't apply here. People are accepting the result of their study, obviously because it confirms their previously held belief. Your argument would hold more weight if the scientists also gave data to support getting vaccinated, but they didn't, and, to my knowledge, there aren't any studies that suggest the vaccine is superior to natural immunity.

I don't mean to appeal to authority again, but you will enjoy this study I'm sure.

Article: https://www.contagionlive.com/view/immun...-infection

Full Study in pdf: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/...2.full.pdf

TL;DR: The vaccine produces a more robust antibody reaction and appears to be effective across strains whereas the natural immune response is weaker and does not appear to provide cross-strain immunity.

Actually it seems that both of you were a bit uninformed about some of the additional information available regarding the reasons for vaccinating those with natural immunity. Frankly it's not surprising since the science on this is continually pressing forward to challenge our notion of what is actually known. I'm just sayin...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-15-2021, 02:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 01:32 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Sure. Cognitive dissonance is real, but that doesn't apply here. People are accepting the result of their study, obviously because it confirms their previously held belief. Your argument would hold more weight if the scientists also gave data to support getting vaccinated, but they didn't, and, to my knowledge, there aren't any studies that suggest the vaccine is superior to natural immunity.

I don't mean to appeal to authority again, but you will enjoy this study I'm sure.

TL;DR: The vaccine produces a more robust antibody reaction and appears to be effective across strains whereas the natural immune response is weaker and does not appear to provide cross-strain immunity.

Actually it seems that both of you were a bit uninformed about some of the additional information available regarding the reasons for vaccinating those with natural immunity. Frankly it's not surprising since the science on this is continually pressing forward to challenge our notion of what is actually known. I'm just sayin...

If we are being honest, then you have to admit that the so called "science" has been a freaking joke. Now we all know that most mask being worn don't protect anyone from anything. Now we know that hydroxychloroquine really WAS effective. What we will know in 6 months about the science will be amazing. So, when Cleveland Clinic says that there is NO ADVANTAGE to people that have had covid, I will go with that one, because it feels right to me. It supports what I already believe and frankly; what I believe has the same chance as being right as everything else that has come out on COVID... 

Herd Immunity sounds about right. Besides, covid gave me its best shot and i'm still here. They can take that rushed, hodgepodge creation they call a vaccine and shove it.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I don't know how people (and scientists) are so sure about how a brand new vaccine works and affects the human body when the very first shot was given only six months ago. There is exactly zero data on long term effects, how it affects different age groups or people with pre-existing conditions, and so on. That's one reason why these studies don't mean anything to me. At this point they're as meaningful as statistics and polls which can be easily manipulated to show a specific outcome simply by asking only certain people the questions.

Just look at what thalidomide did to the babies of pregnant women in the 50s and 60s. Initially used as a sedative, doctors discovered it helped with morning sickness. The fallout from that debacle was the catalyst for the beginnings of rigorous drug approval and monitoring systems in the FDA. The extent of the drug "trials" for thalidomide in the U.S. back then consisted of distributing over 2.5 million tablets to approximately 20K patients across the country- about 3,760 women of childbearing age, at least 207 of whom were pregnant. Over 1K doctors participated in the trials, but few tracked their patients after prescribing the drug.

I know that goes a little out of the way of what we're talking about, but you can't possibly know how a drug or vaccine is going to affect anyone after only six months of widespread usage.

(06-15-2021, 05:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I don't know how people (and scientists) are so sure about how a brand new vaccine works and affects the human body when the very first shot was given only six months ago. There is exactly zero data on long term effects, how it affects different age groups or people with pre-existing conditions, and so on. That's one reason why these studies don't mean anything to me. At this point they're as meaningful as statistics and polls which can be easily manipulated to show a specific outcome simply by asking only certain people the questions.

Just look at what thalidomide did to the babies of pregnant women in the 50s and 60s. Initially used as a sedative, doctors discovered it helped with morning sickness. The fallout from that debacle was the catalyst for the beginnings of rigorous drug approval and monitoring systems in the FDA. The extent of the drug "trials" for thalidomide in the U.S. back then consisted of distributing over 2.5 million tablets to approximately 20K patients across the country- about 3,760 women of childbearing age, at least 207 of whom were pregnant. Over 1K doctors participated in the trials, but few tracked their patients after prescribing the drug.

I know that goes a little out of the way of what we're talking about, but you can't possibly know how a drug or vaccine is going to affect anyone after only six months of widespread usage.

This is why it isn't FDA approved. Even they have some level of standard. For now.

(06-15-2021, 02:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Is this accounting for the role t-cells play in combatting coronavirus? We think part of the reason some people get stuck with long-haul Covid is because their bodies aren't making the antibodies that completely remove this from their system, whereas the vaccine seems to. I don't doubt that. But simply comparing antibody production seems an insufficient measure, especially since the Cleveland clinic was comparing rates of reinfection. 

The point, that seems obvious to me, is that the Cleveland Clinic article is literally looking at whether the vaccine would be superior to natural immunity as it pertains to reinfection, and it appears that it is not. It does not follow from their data that taking the vaccine is going to add a measure of protection against reinfection, and suggesting so is literally contrary to their own study. Considering the politicization of this topic, is it not possible that these scientists are just scared to call a spade a spade in this instance? You don't think that's plausible at all? Of course there's a chance that they don't want to get labeled anti-vaccine quacks and lose their jobs and/or funding. I've grown tired of the fear we have in our society, and, yes, that causes me to mistrust our institutions. That doesn't mean I ignore all of the data, though there are times when that is still the right choice (for example the study on hydroxychloroquine that the Lancet had to retract because it was published by a fraudulent company set up by left wing activists). 

I have recommended the vaccine to the one friend who seemingly has long-haul Covid, for the reasons you and Marty have suggested. It might be worth it to him to roll the dice on the mRNA vaccine to create the spike protein antibodies that might drive out the inflammatory response he is having.

The NFL provided some information on how many players have been vaccinated so far. They also mentioned that the Jaguars are among the teams in the league who have the lowest vaccination rates. I do wonder how that may factor into things/possibly negatively impact the team this upcoming season. (If that situation doesn't change).

https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/140...2125592578

https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/140...3283463168

To all you stupid idiotic morons that wear a mask... I HATE YOUR STUPIDITY...Ignorant tools...

[Image: mask-science-covid-virus.jpg]

(06-16-2021, 11:25 AM)Ronster Wrote: To all you stupid idiotic morons that wear a mask... I HATE YOUR STUPIDITY...Ignorant tools...

You're stupidity oozes out in every post you make in every forum.  So I find your comments pretty ironic.  I stopped wearing masks long ago but who the [BLEEP] are you to judge people that feel safer wearing them?

I know I'm not high and mighty enough to make a judgement of people.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

When we start confronting the communist that give us fake news here in the U.S this way, maybe we will see some positive changes. Shout out to Londoners fed up with fake news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OodYLha3_5Y

(06-16-2021, 11:25 AM)Ronster Wrote: To all you stupid idiotic morons that wear a mask... I HATE YOUR STUPIDITY...Ignorant tools...

As was pointed out previously, for some the mask is a fashion statement at this point and has little, if anything, to do with safety. For others (liberals) it's a "rage against the machine" mentality. I don't care who wears them as long as they don't confront me for not wearing one.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021, 02:45 PM by Ronster.)

(06-16-2021, 02:29 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

As was pointed out previously, for some the mask is a fashion statement at this point and has little, if anything, to do with safety. For others (liberals) it's a "rage against the machine" mentality. I don't care who wears them as long as they don't confront me for not wearing one

The thing is most mask never worked. But the mask nazi's sure did make sure that everyone had to wear one, regardless of the "science". People died because of those stupid mask. So, forgive me if I have a certain degree of hate for the idiots that still wear mask, especially the ones that wear them driving, or outside. I look at them, and I automatically know they are stupid mouth breathing critins that need to be humiliated for being so freaking stupid

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021, 05:06 PM by captivating.)

So why is a mask effective inside a health care facility but not effective outside? If the air outside different from inside?

(06-16-2021, 02:44 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 02:29 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: As was pointed out previously, for some the mask is a fashion statement at this point and has little, if anything, to do with safety. For others (liberals) it's a "rage against the machine" mentality. I don't care who wears them as long as they don't confront me for not wearing one

The thing is most mask never worked. But the mask nazi's sure did make sure that everyone had to wear one, regardless of the "science". People died because of those stupid mask. So, forgive me if I have a certain degree of hate for the idiots that still wear mask, especially the ones that wear them driving, or outside. I look at them, and I automatically know they are stupid mouth breathing critins that need to be humiliated for being so freaking stupid

Critins?

(06-16-2021, 05:04 PM)captivating Wrote:

So why is a mask effective inside a health care facility but not effective outside? If the air outside different from inside?

(06-16-2021, 02:44 PM)Ronster Wrote: The thing is most mask never worked. But the mask nazi's sure did make sure that everyone had to wear one, regardless of the "science". People died because of those stupid mask. So, forgive me if I have a certain degree of hate for the idiots that still wear mask, especially the ones that wear them driving, or outside. I look at them, and I automatically know they are stupid mouth breathing critins that need to be humiliated for being so freaking stupid

Critins?

Maybe because they use actual N95 masks that work and not the cloth diapers a fart could penetrate through.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021, 05:43 PM by p_rushing.)

(06-16-2021, 05:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 05:04 PM)captivating Wrote: So why is a mask effective inside a health care facility but not effective outside? If the air outside different from inside?

Critins?

Maybe because they use actual N95 masks that work and not the cloth diapers a fart could penetrate through.

Actually most N95s don't actually completely work either. They generally don't stop things that small, they are a lot better than stuff people wear though. People use N95s for construction, wood working, etc but they still don't stop saw dust or construction dust. They sure help block a lot but they still allow the smallest particles to get in. Medical workers aren't generally wearing N95s, they do surgeries with just plain masks that stop nothing. Plus they are reusing them, so fit isn't sealed, they touch the mask, etc. It's all for liability to say they didn't cause a work place injury.

Nothing stops small enough particles without stopping you from breathing completely.

(06-16-2021, 05:04 PM)captivating Wrote:

(06-16-2021, 02:44 PM)Ronster Wrote: The thing is most mask never worked. But the mask nazi's sure did make sure that everyone had to wear one, regardless of the "science". People died because of those stupid mask. So, forgive me if I have a certain degree of hate for the idiots that still wear mask, especially the ones that wear them driving, or outside. I look at them, and I automatically know they are stupid mouth breathing critins that need to be humiliated for being so freaking stupid

Critins?

Cretins/Critins/Crybabies/ whatever, you know what I was trying to say. lol

I normally walk into establishments with a mask. Well, multiple masks. I don’t actually wear them. But I’ll hand them out to ugly people. Y’all can thank me later.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021, 06:42 PM by WingerDinger.)

Ya'll are a bunch of croutons..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]