Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So, what's going to happen with Minshew?

Just a Devils advocate situation:

If Minshew clearly outperforms Lawrence in training camp and continues into the preseason, what does the team do? Lawrence has dealt with some injuries that have set him back. Interesting to think about.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-17-2021, 06:58 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just a Devils advocate situation:

If Minshew clearly outperforms Lawrence in training camp and continues into the preseason, what does the team do?  Lawrence  has dealt with some injuries that have set him back.  Interesting to think about.

The upside of Lawrence is significantly higher than Minshew, and Trevor was the 1st pick in the draft.  If he is not injured, my thought is they play Lawrence to begin his NFL experience.  I am not a believer that holding a clipboard accelerates a rookie QB's development.

(06-17-2021, 07:05 PM)ATLjag Wrote:

If Minshew clearly outperforms Lawrence in training camp and continues into the preseason, what does the team do?  Lawrence  has dealt with some injuries that have set him back.  Interesting to think about.

The upside of Lawrence is significantly higher than Minshew, and Trevor was the 1st pick in the draft.  If he is not injured, my thought is they play Lawrence to begin his NFL experience.  I am not a believer that holding a clipboard accelerates a rookie QB's development.

I have seen it work both ways.  Rodgers comes to mind.

(06-17-2021, 08:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 07:05 PM)ATLjag Wrote: The upside of Lawrence is significantly higher than Minshew, and Trevor was the 1st pick in the draft.  If he is not injured, my thought is they play Lawrence to begin his NFL experience.  I am not a believer that holding a clipboard accelerates a rookie QB's development.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Brett Favre was a little better than Minshew.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I mean they would have to sell high on Lawrence before the rest of the league realizes he was overhyped.

(06-17-2021, 08:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 08:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I have seen it work both ways.  Rodgers comes to mind.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Brett Favre was a little better than Minshew.

Brett Favre didn't start as a rookie either lol

(06-17-2021, 09:51 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 08:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Brett Favre was a little better than Minshew.

Favre was also drafted in the second round...and by Atlanta.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-17-2021, 09:51 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 08:21 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Brett Favre was a little better than Minshew.

Very good point.  He was traded from the falcons and was considered a bust.  Many hall of famers started their career on the bench.

Unless Lawrence is too hurt to play or is completely overwhelmed during the preseason, you roll with him.

Once again, this season is not about the W-L record on its own. It's about developing the guy you've picked to be the franchise leader for the next (at least) half decade. If by the end of the preseason he is still lagging behind Minshew, either Minshew has sold his soul in exchange for a golden arm or our GM blew the biggest pick in our franchise's history. You may take some lumps early and lose some winnable games, but that experience will pay off down the road when the goal of postseason play is expectation and not just wishful thinking.

More than likely, if Minshew beats out Trevor, Trevor still starts, but we start answering calls to trade Minshew and cash in on the hot hand.

(06-17-2021, 08:16 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 07:05 PM)ATLjag Wrote: The upside of Lawrence is significantly higher than Minshew, and Trevor was the 1st pick in the draft.  If he is not injured, my thought is they play Lawrence to begin his NFL experience.  I am not a believer that holding a clipboard accelerates a rookie QB's development.

@Gardner Minshew is Brett Favre now. Got it.@

Rodgers, like Love, was also a late first luxury pick from a team that was not looking for immediate repair to a broken position. Terrible analogy.
Maybe we should look at the Garrard/Leftwich scenario instead? Or Jameis and Glennon in TB? Most teams are not taking a QB in the top 5 or 10 picks with visions of sitting them for a season or two hoping to groom the next league MVP.

(06-17-2021, 10:31 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 09:51 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote: Brett Favre didn't start as a rookie either lol

Very good point.  He was traded from the falcons and was considered a bust.  Many hall of famers started their career on the bench.

Who was the last #1 pick to start the season on the bench not due to injury?

Who was the last top 5 QB with a HOF worthy career that started their career on the bench?

Let's try to find some other apples to compare against our apple.

(06-17-2021, 09:51 PM)snaxdelrio Wrote: Brett Favre didn't start as a rookie either lol

I was a Falcons fan at the time, and he was not considered a bust. He was considered a kid with a huge potential upside, but a behavior problem. The Falcons drafted him as a potential starter, but right about that time decided Chris Miller was the answer (he had had injury problems.)

Favre was traded for a FIRST round pick precisely because the thinking was, this kid is starting caliber but it just hasn't worked out here on personalities. I'm not saying they new he would be as good as Favre turned out to be, but the fans and sportswriters were considering the pick a "hit" and not a "miss," as recognized by his trade value. It was not a popular move -- we were ready to try a young gunslinger.

Very good point.  Hall of famers had to have played how long ago.  Not the same era.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021, 03:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(06-18-2021, 08:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 10:31 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Very good point.  He was traded from the falcons and was considered a bust.  Many hall of famers started their career on the bench.

Who was the last top 5 QB with a HOF worthy career that started their career on the bench?

Baker Mayfield

So whats the rule here? Only QBs selected number 1 overall should start week 1? Or is it QBs selected in the top 5? Or is it top 10?

Some of you need to take your medication, way too uptight.

*I don't care when the last time the #1 pick started on the bench or it's considered old fashioned. I believe each QB situation is different and you do the best for your team. Many including myself have been saying Minshew is a decent QB. I believe he is good enough to take a talented team to the playoffs. Lawrenece will get his chance at the face of the franchise but does not have to be day 1. The best solution is what is best for the team. Lets see what happens in training camp and preseason.In my original scenario if Minshew clearly outperforms Lawrenece he should start. Meyer wants to win and that should be priority #1.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2021, 07:45 PM by JagFan81.)

(06-18-2021, 08:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 10:31 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Very good point.  He was traded from the falcons and was considered a bust.  Many hall of famers started their career on the bench.

Jared Goff sat behind Keenum, Mahomes sat for a whole season. It's not crazy to let guys get up to speed. Lawrence is our future for the next decade.

I thought this was interesting article on the topic of the QB room, dynamics and roles. Bit old, but can take some stuff from it.
Quote:Life in an NFL QB Room
How does the Eli Manning-Daniel Jones dynamic compare to Joe Flacco-Drew Lock? Or to Brett Favre-Aaron Rodgers? B/R dives deep on how mentor-prospect relationships really work.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2850...ally-works

GM15 is just Kelly Bryant at this point.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-18-2021, 03:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 08:55 AM)Mikey Wrote: Who was the last #1 pick to start the season on the bench not due to injury?

Baker Mayfield

So whats the rule here?  Only QBs selected number 1 overall should start week 1?  Or is it QBs selected in the top 5?  Or is it top 10?

The rule is we shouldn't be citing the one example where a mid-20th pick of the draft not immediately replacing an obvious HOF QB to justify the notion that a top pick is your odds-on favorite to start from day one.

The rule is that more often than not, teams that are taking a QB early are doing so for a reason.

I am not dumping on Minshew; But from the owner on down, every statement this offseason has been that what we've had wasn't enough. It was time to reset, be new, improve. I'm saying that in order for Minshew starting over TLaw in week one to be plausible, TLaw is going to either have to be hurt or terribly unprepared for the job.

(06-21-2021, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(06-18-2021, 03:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Baker Mayfield

So whats the rule here?  Only QBs selected number 1 overall should start week 1?  Or is it QBs selected in the top 5?  Or is it top 10?

The rule is we shouldn't be citing the one example where a mid-20th pick of the draft not immediately replacing an obvious HOF QB to justify the notion that a top pick is your odds-on favorite to start from day one.

The rule is that more often than not, teams that are taking a QB early are doing so for a reason.

I am not dumping on Minshew; But from the owner on down, every statement this offseason has been that what we've had wasn't enough. It was time to reset, be new, improve. I'm saying that in order for Minshew starting over TLaw in week one to be plausible, TLaw is going to either have to be hurt or terribly unprepared for the job.

Teams are taking a  QB early  for a reason but it doesnt mean you have to start them week 1.  Are tou saying Mahomes, Mayfield, Tua etc. were just unprepared for the job?