Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(07-25-2021, 12:07 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 11:59 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't think we need to get that high. I think it's pretty clear that t-cells play a larger role than they are being given credit. It's one of my major problems with most of these vaccine studies.

But... I think I'm on to something here.  If half the country gets vaccinated, and the other half catches the virus, won't we reach some sort of herd immunity rather quickly?  As a vaccinated person, shouldn't I want the non-vaccinated public to go ahead and get sick, so we can get this over with?

Of course, I'd be sorry for all the deaths, but... it was their choice not to get vaccinated, so it would be nice if they'd just go ahead and get sick so we can all get on with our lives.

I guess I need to tell myself I'm dead because I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I haven't had it long enough to realize I'm dead.

Not everyone who gets Covid ends up in the hospital or dead. Many of us just end up sick and recover with immunity.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-25-2021, 04:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 12:07 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: But... I think I'm on to something here.  If half the country gets vaccinated, and the other half catches the virus, won't we reach some sort of herd immunity rather quickly?  As a vaccinated person, shouldn't I want the non-vaccinated public to go ahead and get sick, so we can get this over with?

Of course, I'd be sorry for all the deaths, but... it was their choice not to get vaccinated, so it would be nice if they'd just go ahead and get sick so we can all get on with our lives.

I guess I need to tell myself I'm dead because I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I haven't had it long enough to realize I'm dead.

Not everyone who gets Covid ends up in the hospital or dead. Many of us just end up sick and recover with immunity.

The recovery rate is 99 7% I believe.

[attachment=103 Wrote:troudCrowd1 pid='1389142' dateline='1627244577']
(07-25-2021, 04:09 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Baptist has converted pre-op holding to an impatient ward and they are running out of beds so they're moving to 2 patients per room.  Please re-consider getting vaccinated or, if you've already had it, getting an antibodies test to ensure you have antibodies.

I am looking at the home pages of most local media and do not see this. Are you able to site a source on this? Thanks.

My friend is a surgeon for Baptist and told me this.  He does mostly bariatric surgery.  He sent me this (hope the image works):

.jpg   IMG_4787.JPG (Size: 168.05 KB / Downloads: 54)

(07-25-2021, 04:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I guess I need to tell myself I'm dead because I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I haven't had it long enough to realize I'm dead.

But, but, but!!!!! NO it can't be because the media and the government says different!!!!!!   Rolleyes

(07-25-2021, 04:22 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:09 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: Baptist has converted pre-op holding to an impatient ward and they are running out of beds so they're moving to 2 patients per room.  Please re-consider getting vaccinated or, if you've already had it, getting an antibodies test to ensure you have antibodies.

I am looking at the home pages of most local media and do not see this. Are you able to site a source on this? Thanks.

The wife was watching channel 4 this morning.  They did have something about Baptist South and something they were doing to create room.  I didn’t pay too much attention because, quite frankly, I’m sick of the news and every story being Covid related or something about social injustice

(07-25-2021, 04:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:26 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I guess I need to tell myself I'm dead because I haven't figured it out yet. Maybe I haven't had it long enough to realize I'm dead.

~180,900,000 resolved cases
~4,100,00 deaths worldwide
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-25-2021, 04:22 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

I can validate that the CEO sent out an "all-call" at 3:45pm today for any available Baptist employees, clinical and non-clinical, to take shifts in the hospitals and satellite EDs as all facilities are now over capacity. The UnVaxxed Surge is here and it's huge.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-25-2021, 04:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:27 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: The recovery rate is 99 7% I believe.

~180,900,000 resolved cases

So 99.78%. 

As for the hospitals, is the sole reason for overcrowding Covid? Isn't it standard procedure for hospitals to operate their ERs at or near max capacity? This was the impetus for the 2 week lockdown in the first place. It's definitely a concern. I'd hate to have preventable deaths on our hands. I know, I know... then get vaccinated, right? The concern is always long term effects, which none of us knows, and we also don't know the degree to which vaccinated people spread the delta variant.

(07-25-2021, 05:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:22 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I am looking at the home pages of most local media and do not see this. Are you able to site a source on this? Thanks.

I can validate that the CEO sent out an "all-call" at 3:45pm today for any available Baptist employees, clinical and non-clinical, to take shifts in the hospitals and satellite EDs as all facilities are now over capacity. The UnVaxxed Surge is here and it's huge.

Are people that get Covid being treated with some of the treatments that have worked in say India when the diagnosis is first confirmed or is the United States waiting to treat until the case is severe?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(07-25-2021, 05:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: ~180,900,000 resolved cases

So 99.78%. 

As for the hospitals, is the sole reason for overcrowding Covid? Isn't it standard procedure for hospitals to operate their ERs at or near max capacity? This was the impetus for the 2 week lockdown in the first place. It's definitely a concern. I'd hate to have preventable deaths on our hands. I know, I know... then get vaccinated, right? The concern is always long term effects, which none of us knows, and we also don't know the degree to which vaccinated people spread the delta variant.

Yes, census management is a science, but they also cancelled electives and discharged every patient that could be earlier this week to free up the space that got filled the last two days. As was said above, they are working to manufacture additional space now by using other clinical areas as inpatient wards. The next big step will be parking lot tents, but we didn't even get to this point with either of the last two surges and the peak is still modeled to be some time in early September. I am legitimately worried about our capacity right now when I was not all that concerned with the last two. This one is hitting us much harder locally already and the end is weeks away. Just hope no one you know has a heart attack this week, there might not be room at the Inn.

(07-25-2021, 05:33 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 05:09 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I can validate that the CEO sent out an "all-call" at 3:45pm today for any available Baptist employees, clinical and non-clinical, to take shifts in the hospitals and satellite EDs as all facilities are now over capacity. The UnVaxxed Surge is here and it's huge.

Are people that get Covid being treated with some of the treatments that have worked in say India when the diagnosis is first confirmed or is the United States waiting to treat until the case is severe?

I'm not clinical so I don't know. I know that the studies done on those treatments either disproved them or were inconclusive, so it wouldn't be surprising to hear that we aren't using them. I did read that the monoclonal antibody treatment that worked well for Alpha is not as effective on Delta so that's a concern. That treatment allowed a lot of patients to be treated by infusion and then go home instead of being admitted so that's a concern for capacity too.

If t.v. and the media didn't exist. Would we even know covid was a thing?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Yeah. It's probably too late to do a real 2 week lockdown. Is there any other option than riding it out at this point?

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2021, 05:47 PM by The Real Marty.)

I was speaking with a doctor who works at St Vincent's a couple of days ago, and she said 99% of the patients in the hospital with Covid are unvaccinated.

(07-25-2021, 05:41 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Yeah. It's probably too late to do a real 2 week lockdown. Is there any other option than riding it out at this point?

I say ride it out.  I'm vaccinated, so if the rest of you guys that aren't vaccinated will go ahead and get sick we can achieve herd immunity.

At this point the only people we'd be protecting with a lockdown are people who chose not to get vaccinated.

(07-25-2021, 05:40 PM)Dimson Wrote: If t.v. and the media didn't exist. Would we even know covid was a thing?

Seriously?

(07-25-2021, 05:41 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Yeah. It's probably too late to do a real 2 week lockdown. Is there any other option than riding it out at this point?

Well, If we could get about 100k people in Northeast Florida vaccinated this week that would help. Even getting the first shot offers about 50% immunity rather quickly.

(07-25-2021, 05:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 05:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: So 99.78%. 

Yes, census management is a science, but they also cancelled electives and discharged every patient that could be earlier this week to free up the space that got filled the last two days. As was said above, they are working to manufacture additional space now by using other clinical areas as inpatient wards. The next big step will be parking lot tents, but we didn't even get to this point with either of the last two surges and the peak is still modeled to be some time in early September. I am legitimately worried about our capacity right now when I was not all that concerned with the last two. This one is hitting us much harder locally already and the end is weeks away. Just hope no one you know has a heart attack this week, there might not be room at the Inn.

(07-25-2021, 05:33 PM)copycat Wrote: Are people that get Covid being treated with some of the treatments that have worked in say India when the diagnosis is first confirmed or is the United States waiting to treat until the case is severe?

I'm not clinical so I don't know. I know that the studies done on those treatments either disproved them or were inconclusive, so it wouldn't be surprising to hear that we aren't using them. I did read that the monoclonal antibody treatment that worked well for Alpha is not as effective on Delta so that's a concern. That treatment allowed a lot of patients to be treated by infusion and then go home instead of being admitted so that's a concern for capacity too.

But isn’t the Delta Variant the same as the one that hit India?  I am no scientist but they knocked it then common sense tells me to do what they did.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Can we have several free entertainment events at Veteran’s Memorial for the unvaccinated? No masks allowed. Coughing in each other’s faces is encouraged.

(07-25-2021, 05:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 04:56 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: ~180,900,000 resolved cases

So 99.78%. 

(07-25-2021, 05:49 PM)copycat Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 05:35 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yes, census management is a science, but they also cancelled electives and discharged every patient that could be earlier this week to free up the space that got filled the last two days. As was said above, they are working to manufacture additional space now by using other clinical areas as inpatient wards. The next big step will be parking lot tents, but we didn't even get to this point with either of the last two surges and the peak is still modeled to be some time in early September. I am legitimately worried about our capacity right now when I was not all that concerned with the last two. This one is hitting us much harder locally already and the end is weeks away. Just hope no one you know has a heart attack this week, there might not be room at the Inn.

But isn’t the Delta Variant the same as the one that hit India?  I am no scientist but they knocked it then common sense tells me to do what they did.

Based on what is being reported about India fudging their numbers I don't know that there's much there to emulate.

(07-25-2021, 05:40 PM)Dimson Wrote: If t.v. and the media didn't exist. Would we even know covid was a thing?

Good question.. Probably just considered a strain of the flu..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(07-25-2021, 05:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Seriously?

Well, If we could get about 100k people in Northeast Florida vaccinated this week that would help. Even getting the first shot offers about 50% immunity rather quickly.

A lot of people are caving now that it's hitting here. So, I think that's a real possibility. I know Delta is super contagious, but even with 50% of the population vaccinated, it seems to be ripping through here. So, it's either so contagious that it's able to easily find hosts across a more sparse population, or the vaccinated are passing this thing on at higher rates than believed.