Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

Not in Florida obvi. 
[Image: 225933282_226263446049751_50132802318354...e=6130096C]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-03-2021, 10:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 09:49 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Where are we on the updated numbers, FSG?

Up over 500 in house with 30 deaths over the weekend, >85% of cases sequenced as Delta, 94% of cases are unvaxxed, 48% are under 50. I heard today that St V's, Mayo, and Baptist are all implementing a mandatory vaccine policy for employees, so I guess they don't buy the stuff p_rush is selling.

What he is selling is purely asinine and not true... It may seem like what he's saying might have some semblance of credibility to uninformed individuals but he's spewing nonsense on many levels in his post. Buyer beware.

Our hospitals are at full capacity and we are having to open emergency beds to try and accommodate this prolific surge. And this doesn't bode well for non-COVID inpatient care, let alone the COVID-19 positive cases.

(08-03-2021, 11:01 PM)enigma Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 10:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Up over 500 in house with 30 deaths over the weekend, >85% of cases sequenced as Delta, 94% of cases are unvaxxed, 48% are under 50. I heard today that St V's, Mayo, and Baptist are all implementing a mandatory vaccine policy for employees, so I guess they don't buy the stuff p_rush is selling.

What he is selling is purely asinine and not true... It may seem like what he's saying might have some semblance of credibility to uninformed individuals but he's spewing nonsense on many levels in his post. Buyer beware.

Our hospitals are at full capacity and we are having to open emergency beds to try and accommodate this prolific surge. And this doesn't bode well for non-COVID inpatient care, let alone the COVID-19 positive cases.

I'm aware, he's been the king of regurgitation from the green health and anti-vax sites.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-03-2021, 11:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 11:01 PM)enigma Wrote: What he is selling is purely asinine and not true... It may seem like what he's saying might have some semblance of credibility to uninformed individuals but he's spewing nonsense on many levels in his post. Buyer beware.

I'm aware, he's been the king of regurgitation from the green health and anti-vax sites.

That type of dangerous rhetoric is what perpetuates the situation we are in. The issue is that some people may look at that and perceive it as a truth.

You wouldn't go to a gas station clerk and have him try and consult/provide a cancer diagnosis. Or at least I hope not...

(08-03-2021, 11:13 PM)enigma Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 11:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm aware, he's been the king of regurgitation from the green health and anti-vax sites.

That type of dangerous rhetoric is what perpetuates the situation we are in. The issue is that some people may look at that and perceive it as a truth.

You wouldn't go to a gas station clerk and have him try and consult/provide a cancer diagnosis. Or at least I hope not...

I do think that part of what's going here is good, I've been trying to post links to current scholarship and L2L is doing the same. At least some folks reading will have a chance to look at some good data from which to base their decisions.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 10:48 AM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

It's definitely a concern. I get so frustrated with our establishment elites. The fact that we don't have a solid, institutionalized policy towards this annoys me to no end. I am still open to rolling mask mandates and lockdowns, but only at the local level, and I feel like the CDC has had plenty of time to figure out when and where it's appropriate. Imo, we should have mobile hospitals set up and ready to go wherever there are breakouts. Right now, Jacksonville needs federal help to ensure our hospitals don't get overwhelmed and it doesn't appear to be on it's way. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know of any?

Also, I don't know why positive pressure rooms aren't becoming all the rage. If I had money, I would be marketing that to all businesses... especially restaurants, to limit the spread of this disease. Also, the vax is proving effective enough that I feel like, at this point, hospitals should only be quarantining patients who can't get the vaccines. Any personnel working only with those patients should get tested twice a week, regardless if they have been vaccinated. Everything else needs to go back to normal, with the caveat that we implement drastic measures if and only if the hospitals become overwhelmed. Herd immunity is the only way we are going to combat this.

Oh, and question: how many deaths under 65? Do you know that?

(08-03-2021, 11:22 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 11:13 PM)enigma Wrote: That type of dangerous rhetoric is what perpetuates the situation we are in. The issue is that some people may look at that and perceive it as a truth.

I do think that part of what's going here is good, I've been trying to post links to current scholarship and L2L is doing the same. At least some folks reading will have a chance to look at some good data from which to base their decisions.

I have certainly benefited from the both of you posting.  Much appreciated!
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(08-04-2021, 10:45 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It's definitely a concern. I get so frustrated with our establishment elites. Imo, we should have mobile hospitals set up and ready to go wherever there are breakouts.  I am still open to rolling mask mandates and lockdowns, but only at the local level, and I feel like the CDC has had plenty of time to figure out when and where it's approprate. The fact that we don't have a solid, institutionalized policy towards this annoys me to no end. Right now, Jacksonville needs federal help to ensure our hospitals don't get overwhelmed and it doesn't appear to be on it's way. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know of any?

Also, I don't know why positive pressure rooms aren't becoming all the rage. If I had money, I would be marketing that to all businesses... especially restaurants, to limit the spread of this disease. Also, the vax is proving effective enough that I feel like, at this point, hospitals should only be quarantining patients who can't get the vaccines. Any personnel working only with those patients should get tested twice a week, regardless if they have been vaccinated. Everything else needs to go back to normal. Herd immunity is the only way we are going to combat this.

I don't know of any federal response and I don't have mortality details, just facility level numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if the Feds withheld aid from Florida since DeathSantis is such a critic, but that's a personal political take not a professional one. The facilities are full and they are full of the unvaccinated, so effectively they are already in quarantine, and the entirety of the staff and volunteers are dedicated to their care.

I meant just the people that can't get vaccinated. Those who choose not to get vaccinated do so at their own risk. Remember when Trump refused to help NY because they were a blue state? Neither do I.

(08-04-2021, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 10:45 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It's definitely a concern. I get so frustrated with our establishment elites. Imo, we should have mobile hospitals set up and ready to go wherever there are breakouts.  I am still open to rolling mask mandates and lockdowns, but only at the local level, and I feel like the CDC has had plenty of time to figure out when and where it's approprate. The fact that we don't have a solid, institutionalized policy towards this annoys me to no end. Right now, Jacksonville needs federal help to ensure our hospitals don't get overwhelmed and it doesn't appear to be on it's way. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Do you know of any?

Also, I don't know why positive pressure rooms aren't becoming all the rage. If I had money, I would be marketing that to all businesses... especially restaurants, to limit the spread of this disease. Also, the vax is proving effective enough that I feel like, at this point, hospitals should only be quarantining patients who can't get the vaccines. Any personnel working only with those patients should get tested twice a week, regardless if they have been vaccinated. Everything else needs to go back to normal. Herd immunity is the only way we are going to combat this.

I don't know of any federal response and I don't have mortality details, just facility level numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if the Feds withheld aid from Florida since DeathSantis is such a critic, but that's a personal political take not a professional one. The facilities are full and they are full of the unvaccinated, so effectively they are already in quarantine, and the entirety of the staff and volunteers are dedicated to their care.

Your posts sound a lot more dire than the home pages of firstcoastnews.com and news4jax.com indicate. Where is the disconnect between reality and the local news?

Also, I feel like this explains P_rushing (and even myself to a lesser degree).

https://notthebee.com/article/if-you-wan...7F3py9E8KY

I try really hard not to be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. The last thing I want to do is take a position solely because it goes against the mainstream narrative. However, the media is not making this easy. If I could just get the lefties here to acknowledge how corrupt the MSM has become, we could maybe collectively apply pressure to restore faith in our institutions. It's never been more important.

(08-04-2021, 11:21 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I meant just the people that can't get vaccinated. Those who choose not to get vaccinated do so at their own risk. Remember when Trump refused to help NY because they were a blue state? Neither do I.

Yeah, me either. We're certainly not in "bodies piling up" panic mode, but we are stretched very thin. It would be nice to at least hear that help would be forthcoming if needed.

(08-04-2021, 11:22 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't know of any federal response and I don't have mortality details, just facility level numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if the Feds withheld aid from Florida since DeathSantis is such a critic, but that's a personal political take not a professional one. The facilities are full and they are full of the unvaccinated, so effectively they are already in quarantine, and the entirety of the staff and volunteers are dedicated to their care.

Your posts sound a lot more dire than the home pages of firstcoastnews.com and news4jax.com indicate. Where is the disconnect between reality and the local news?

I think people are experience Covid fatigue, but that doesn't mean we aren't experiencing a pretty crazy surge of Covid right now. I suspect we are at  our peak, and think it will begin to decline in a couple weeks, but we really should consider masking, distancing, and limiting our social interactions for a few weeks. Time to get outside, imo.

(08-04-2021, 11:22 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 10:56 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I don't know of any federal response and I don't have mortality details, just facility level numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if the Feds withheld aid from Florida since DeathSantis is such a critic, but that's a personal political take not a professional one. The facilities are full and they are full of the unvaccinated, so effectively they are already in quarantine, and the entirety of the staff and volunteers are dedicated to their care.

I'm not sure. I just know that in the almost 30 years I've worked in Jacksonville health care I've never been asked to take volunteer shifts in the E.D. or seen a single diagnosis cause a 400% increase in admissions. That means something to me. Like I said, it's not panic time by any means, but we're on the upslope of this outbreak and it's going to be a tough month.

(08-04-2021, 11:23 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Also, I feel like this explains P_rushing (and even myself to a lesser degree).

I try really hard not to be a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. The last thing I want to do is take a position solely because it goes against the mainstream narrative. However, the media is not making this easy. If I could just get the lefties here to acknowledge how corrupt the MSM has become, we could maybe collectively apply pressure to restore faith in our institutions. It's never been more important.

I was going to post my reply without reading that but I decided due diligence was in order so I read it and, unsurprisingly, my reply is the same. 

People rely too much on institutions and critical thinking skills are not being used. 

Should we be able to trust those in authority, the medical and scientific community, and the news outlets? Yes because their purpose is to serve, protect, legislate, and inform us of the facts. Their intent is where they fall short and fail the people. The fact that people cannot see this is mind boggling. Not one of them is agenda-free. Not. A. Single. One. But people accept that as long as their agenda is the one winning. They don't think about the others who are fighting just as hard for their own.

Sadly this cat is out of the bag and will never be put back in. We are not "going back to normal" just as we didn't after 9/11. Officials have their heads in the sand, or up each other's [BLEEP], and don't see or care about the damage all of this is causing. The media are eating it up and pointing fingers, they're certainly not reporting the news, and people are actually listening to the garbage. They will not be held accountable just as our leaders won't be because the people who are actually in power are the ones pulling the strings, making deals, writing campaign checks, and so on. 

We the people? We're delusional because we still think it's all about us and our votes and our voices. The sooner we awake from our gilded cage stupor and acknowledge it, the sooner we will rise up and demand change. Not as one party or the other, but as a COUNTRY. But the sneaky bastards in government and behind the scenes know this and keep us divided. 

Think about it. Am I wrong?

No. The problem is that the populist left and the populist right have to find common ground to change it. This is impossible, and I think the elites know it.

(08-04-2021, 01:38 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(08-04-2021, 11:23 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Also, I feel like this explains P_rushing (and even myself to a lesser degree).

I was going to post my reply without reading that but I decided due diligence was in order so I read it and, unsurprisingly, my reply is the same. 

People rely too much on institutions and critical thinking skills are not being used. 

Should we be able to trust those in authority, the medical and scientific community, and the news outlets? Yes because their purpose is to serve, protect, legislate, and inform us of the facts. Their intent is where they fall short and fail the people. The fact that people cannot see this is mind boggling. Not one of them is agenda-free. Not. A. Single. One. But people accept that as long as their agenda is the one winning. They don't think about the others who are fighting just as hard for their own.

Sadly this cat is out of the bag and will never be put back in. We are not "going back to normal" just as we didn't after 9/11. Officials have their heads in the sand, or up each other's [BLEEP], and don't see or care about the damage all of this is causing. The media are eating it up and pointing fingers, they're certainly not reporting the news, and people are actually listening to the garbage. They will not be held accountable just as our leaders won't be because the people who are actually in power are the ones pulling the strings, making deals, writing campaign checks, and so on. 

We the people? We're delusional because we still think it's all about us and our votes and our voices. The sooner we awake from our gilded cage stupor and acknowledge it, the sooner we will rise up and demand change. Not as one party or the other, but as a COUNTRY. But the sneaky bastards in government and behind the scenes know this and keep us divided. 

Think about it. Am I wrong?

+1000

I couldn’t have said it better.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Filmmaker Ken Burns calls Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg ‘an enemy of the state’ who belongs in jail | Fox News

However, I disagree with Americus. It's still about our voice and our vote. As we saw with the election of Trump, controlling the narrative is an evolving process. Trump was a good message but a terrible messenger against the MSM and their cohorts in big tech. Which is exactly why democrats are trying their damndest to thwart that process with lax voter requirements. Stay vigilant and stay involved. People are becoming increasingly skeptical of the trash the MSM is shoveling out. Just look at the polls showing how many people trust them. 

The ballot box is the last vestige of resistance against big tech and the MSM controlling the narrative. If the democrats are allowed to corrupt that, then, and only then, do I believe there is the possibility for armed uprising.

(08-04-2021, 04:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Filmmaker Ken Burns calls Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg ‘an enemy of the state’ who belongs in jail | Fox News

However, I disagree with Americus. It's still about our voice and our vote. As we saw with the election of Trump, controlling the narrative is an evolving process. Trump was a good message but a terrible messenger against the MSM and their cohorts in big tech. Which is exactly why democrats are trying their damndest to thwart that process with lax voter requirements. Stay vigilant and stay involved. People are becoming increasingly skeptical of the trash the MSM is shoveling out. Just look at the polls showing how many people trust them. 

The ballot box is the last vestige of resistance against big tech and the MSM controlling the narrative. If the democrats are allowed to corrupt that, then, and only then, do I believe there is the possibility for armed uprising.

Ken Burns knows about our history about a billion times better than any journalist in the last 200 years.

(08-04-2021, 04:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Filmmaker Ken Burns calls Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg ‘an enemy of the state’ who belongs in jail | Fox News

Very well said.  It's the truth.

Regarding the part in bold, I do believe that it's happened once (democrats corrupting the vote).  I believe that the MSM as well as big tech aided in that.  I think that it's happened with more than the election.  It's what happened on January 6th of this year.  I do think that people's eyes are being opened if you can get them off of their "smart" devices long enough.

1.  The mostly peaceful protest that occurred on January 6th is not the "armed, violent insurrection" that is put out by the MSM and censored by big tech if someone claims otherwise.

2.  It is very odd that so many Capitol police officers committed suicide since then.  Capitol police aren't the same as your normal patrol officer in your community.  They don't deal with traumatic events on a daily basis.  For lack of a better description, they are basically "mall cops".

3.  Any way that anyone wants to justify it, this last election was very odd.  Trump was winning by a large margin then suddenly counting stopped in some places and miraculously Biden got a huge number of votes in those areas over night.

4.  Any news of what is going on at the border is only being reported by FOX News.  Many people refuse to watch FOX News or go to their website, so they just don't really know what is happening.  The big reason for that is social media or "big tech".

The bottom line is, I do think and fear that enough people are going to be "pissed off" enough to actually start some kind of armed uprising.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.