Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(09-08-2021, 08:12 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I get outside plenty. I'm a stay at home dad, remember? Time is not in short supply. I went and shot my bow last night, swam laps this morning, and sparred with a friend for a couple hours before dinner. If I could just find a fishing buddy with free time during the day, I'd be set.
Living the dream!

You come to Maryland and I’ll fish with you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What do you guys fish for up there? When I think of Maryland, I think of DC and Baltimore.

I can't wait to hear the babbling idiots 6 point plan for COVID-19 tomorrow. I'm sure it will be riveting and informative.

A buddy of mine has a daughter who's an ICU Nurse in California (we live in WA State). He talked to her the other day and she said the place is overrun with unvacc'd Covid patients. All the beds are full, they're struggling to take in more patients etc. Said it's not a good scene and is without a doubt no joke of a situation. Patients in their 20's and on up.

(09-08-2021, 11:00 PM)Eric1 Wrote: A buddy of mine has a daughter who's an ICU Nurse in California (we live in WA State). He talked to her the other day and she said the place is overrun with unvacc'd Covid patients. All the beds are full, they're struggling to take in more patients etc. Said it's not a good scene and is without a doubt no joke of a situation. Patients in their 20's and on up.

What is the name of the hospital? What city?

It doesn't matter. Patients in their 20's and up doesn't tell us anything. We need real data.

FSG, I know you're on a break, but I am really interested in the numbers. If you have a way of accessing a data base I don't, I am looking for vaccination rates of citizens 65 and up per month, and deaths of citizens by age per month. How can we analyze this without that information?

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 08:30 AM by StroudCrowd1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-09-2021, 08:26 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It doesn't matter. Patients in their 20's and up doesn't tell us anything. We need real data.

FSG, I know you're on a break, but I am really interested in the numbers. If you have a way of accessing a data base I don't, I am looking for vaccination rates of citizens 65 and up per month, and deaths of citizens by age per month. How can we analyze this without that information?

I was just thinking about the fake news story of gunshot victims not being able to get into an overrun hospital in OK and his post had the same vibe. I am just curious to get the specific hospital so I can do some research on my own. "A hospital in California" just doesn't cut it.

Well, to be fair, these hospitals are getting "overrun," in that their workload increases. I'm sure the doctors are feeling it. The problem is that they are letting the anecdote of it overwhelm their sensibilities. For example, my wife predominantly treats stroke and brain trauma injuries. One of the main things she sees is people falling off ladders. So, I have to remind her that it's ok for me to get on a ladder. A majority of her patients are older, plus millions of people use ladders everyday without falling. She's fixated on what's in front of her, and she needs help taking a step back. This is just a result of her profession.

The media is exploiting that very human characteristic to drive a narrative and make money. Conservatives, in their attempt to push back against that narrative, go too far in the other direction, imo. It's always one way or the other. We need people to step back and put things in perspective, without overexaggerating it, and we don't have that in this country.

It is clear from the data that when Delta hits, it hits hard for a month, then subsides. Why we don't have mobile Covid hospitals is beyond me. It's such a sensible and achievable solution. Yet, it seems like we're not even exploring it.

(09-09-2021, 08:52 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Well, to be fair, these hospitals are getting "overrun," in that their workload increases. I'm sure the doctors are feeling it. The problem is that they are letting the anecdote of it overwhelm their sensibilities. For example, my wife predominantly treats stroke and brain trauma injuries. One of the main things she sees is people falling off ladders. So, I have to remind her that it's ok for me to get on a ladder. A majority of her patients are older, plus millions of people use ladders everyday without falling. She's fixated on what's in front of her, and she needs help taking a step back. This is just a result of her profession.

The media is exploiting that very human characteristic to drive a narrative and make money. Conservatives, in their attempt to push back against that narrative, go too far in the other direction, imo. It's always one way or the other. We need people to step back and put things in perspective, without overexaggerating it, and we don't have that in this country.

It is clear from the data that when Delta hits, it hits hard for a month, then subsides. Why we don't have mobile Covid hospitals is beyond me. It's such a sensible and achievable solution. Yet, it seems like we're not even exploring it.

Sorry, I didnt even bring my work laptop with me, so no access right now. Side note: I pulled up my Outlook on my phone last night and have almost 900 unread emails with 4 more vacation days to go. I may extend my vacation just to catch up.

We don't have mobile Covid hospitals (right now) because of the weight of local, state, and federal regulations of health care practice and facilities. They have to all be in agreement on a 1,000 different issues for it to happen. Other ideas are being implemented though. One example, Baptist North has a free standing ED and the building has significant additional space. The feds said such facilities could convert the space to temporarily add inpatient beds, so they moved a bunch of equipment out there, solicited a couple hospitalists to go onsite, and increased bed capacity by almost 30. CC patients still transferred, but many were able to stay there for the duration of the admission. Those kinds of tactics are a big help, but they are also very expensive and that's the trade off for keeping people alive.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Mandatory vaccination for Federal employees to be announced with proof of testing not being an option.

(09-09-2021, 10:34 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 08:52 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Well, to be fair, these hospitals are getting "overrun," in that their workload increases. I'm sure the doctors are feeling it. The problem is that they are letting the anecdote of it overwhelm their sensibilities. For example, my wife predominantly treats stroke and brain trauma injuries. One of the main things she sees is people falling off ladders. So, I have to remind her that it's ok for me to get on a ladder. A majority of her patients are older, plus millions of people use ladders everyday without falling. She's fixated on what's in front of her, and she needs help taking a step back. This is just a result of her profession.

Sorry, I didnt even bring my work laptop with me, so no access right now. Side note: I pulled up my Outlook on my phone last night and have almost 900 unread emails with 4 more vacation days to go. I may extend my vacation just to catch up.

We don't have mobile Covid hospitals (right now) because of the weight of local, state, and federal regulations of health care practice and facilities. They have to all be in agreement on a 1,000 different issues for it to happen. Other ideas are being implemented though. One example, Baptist North has a free standing ED and the building has significant additional space. The feds said such facilities could convert the space to temporarily add inpatient beds, so they moved a bunch of equipment out there, solicited a couple hospitalists to go onsite, and increased bed capacity by almost 30. CC patients still transferred, but many were able to stay there for the duration of the admission. Those kinds of tactics are a big help, but they are also very expensive and that's the trade off for keeping people alive.

When I see "free standing ED," I must think of something different than you. Does that mean Emergency Department? 

I realize this idea would cost money, but it can't cost that much more than what we are currently spending. We are shelling out MASSIVE amounts of money right now on research and contracts with big pharma. If the Federal government could create a system with 1000 beds, multiple tents, and a roaming staff, it could get to the hotspots, set up, and treat the overflow fairly inexpensively (compared to what's already being spent). The wave typically lasts less than a month, then they move onto the next spot. I realize it costs a lot to run a hospital, but this would probably be a fraction of the cost, considering that it's specialized care. 

I don't know. I'm not even sure hospitals would want to see something like this happen, because it would cut into their revenue. They are making BIG bucks from Covid. The average cost for covid care is between 58k to 78k based on age, according to healthline.com. That's nuts. We're looking at spending somewhere between 9.6 billion to 17 billion, just on Covid healthcare. Cutting out insurance, and streamlining the process by creating federal, mobile hospitals would be cheaper. Jk, we both know these massive corporations will have their hands in our pockets. 

Our system is so corrupt.

You mean like a MASH unit or say a mercy ship?   Ninja

On a side nite, remember when covid broke out and the president sent a mercy ship to New York Harbor and the mayor and governor chose not to use it?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-09-2021, 08:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 08:26 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: It doesn't matter. Patients in their 20's and up doesn't tell us anything. We need real data.

I was just thinking about the fake news story of gunshot victims not being able to get into an overrun hospital in OK and his post had the same vibe. I am just curious to get the specific hospital so I can do some research on my own. "A hospital in California" just doesn't cut it.

Maybe mine because we don't look so hot. 

https://data.thecalifornian.com/covid-19...nty/06019/

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 03:37 PM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-09-2021, 11:17 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: When I see "free standing ED," I must think of something different than you. Does that mean Emergency Department? 

The way you wrote that made me literally LMAO. I read it as "free standing erectile dysfunction".  Laughing
(09-09-2021, 11:17 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: When I see "free standing ED," I must think of something different than you. Does that mean Emergency Department? 

The way you wrote that made me literally LMAO. I read it as "free standing erectile dysfunction".

(09-09-2021, 07:36 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 11:00 PM)Eric1 Wrote: A buddy of mine has a daughter who's an ICU Nurse in California (we live in WA State). He talked to her the other day and she said the place is overrun with unvacc'd Covid patients. All the beds are full, they're struggling to take in more patients etc. Said it's not a good scene and is without a doubt no joke of a situation. Patients in their 20's and on up.

What is the name of the hospital? What city?

A friend of mine works at Vanderbilt in Nashville.  Their patient count has skyrocketed in the last two months and almost all of the new cases are unvaccinated.  Many of them are younger people, 20's and up.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Biden trying to mandate all businesses with more than 100 employees required vaccination.

Good luck with that one tyrant

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 04:25 PM by mal234. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-09-2021, 10:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mandatory vaccination for Federal employees to be announced with proof of testing not being an option.

Yeah, I saw this. I work for the federal government and I know that there are at least some federal employees that will not be happy about this. I do wonder how many of them may actually quit their jobs over it. There are some decent paying federal jobs out there and they have excellent benefits including retirement and generous leave. And many of them are permanent jobs that people can have for as long as they want. 

I know federal employees that have missed months of work due to things like surgeries & had enough paid leave to cover it. There were also several people at my job who were out for like a year due to being high risk for COVID and the government paid them their full pay for that year. Plus, I think they still were able to accumulate sick/vacation time during that time period. I don't know how easy it will be for people to walk away from those types of benefits. If there is some sort of exodus due to this mandate, other people who are vaccinated can keep their resumes ready so they can get these vacated jobs.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2021, 04:27 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(09-09-2021, 04:24 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 10:42 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Mandatory vaccination for Federal employees to be announced with proof of testing not being an option.

Yeah, I saw this. I work for the federal government and I know that there are at least some federal employees that will not be happy about this. I wonder how many of them may actually quit their jobs over it. There are some decent paying federal jobs out there and they have excellent benefits including retirement and generous leave. And many of them are permanent jobs that people can have for as long as they want. 

I know federal employees that have missed months of work due to things like surgeries & had enough paid leave to cover it. There were also several people at my job who were out for like a year due to being high risk for COVID and the government paid them their full pay for that year. Plus, I think they still were able to accumulate sick/vacation time during that time period. I don't know how easy it will be for people to walk away from those types of benefits. If there is some sort of exodus due to this mandate, other people who are vaccinated can keep their resumes ready so they can get these vacated jobs.

Sometimes it takes an outside force to realize a job change is the right decision. A blessing in disguise you  might say. 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I am not a fan of using someones livelihood to force them to do something. This is a very dangerous precedent.

I didn't see anything in Adolphs new rules about welfare recipients requiring vaccinations.

(09-09-2021, 08:30 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

I didn't go prying for all the details, but I'll ask him what hospital it is tomorrow.

Also, you should maybe stop watching the news or something, or stop thinking that everybody is lying about everything.. Exactly what does she gain from telling her own FATHER that info? Why would she make up some "fake news" [BLEEP] about that to her own dad dude...