Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hope or something.

(09-23-2021, 07:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Time to admit Trevor is a bust after 2 games and start looking at QB's in the draft next year.

you do that, chief.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-24-2021, 08:41 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 07:02 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Time to admit Trevor is a bust after 2 games and start looking at QB's in the draft next year.

you do that, chief.

He’s being facetious.

(09-24-2021, 08:37 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It’s equal parts timing being off between he and the receivers and the speed at which he’s processing things on the field which will naturally increase with experience.  Would be nice if one of these weeks it just all clicks for him and he starts dominating, but more likely it will be gradual improvements week to week.  He should look much better come December than he does today though.

This. 

I haven't lost hope in Trevor Lawrence, he is a rookie being a rookie but still showing elite traits to be steered toward success. 

The guys making personnel decisions, game-planning and calling plays on the other hand, have me worried sick about their apparent ineptitude. 
They could turn it around still, but I've seen zero signs thus far.

Time and experience are precious commodities. We need both and it will come as the season progresses. By game 6 we’ll have a much more solid understanding of this team’s prospects. I see it trending up.

I’m in the hopeful camp. It looks bleak now but I just don’t sense the desolate landscape of despair as before.

(09-24-2021, 09:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 08:37 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: It’s equal parts timing being off between he and the receivers and the speed at which he’s processing things on the field which will naturally increase with experience.  Would be nice if one of these weeks it just all clicks for him and he starts dominating, but more likely it will be gradual improvements week to week.  He should look much better come December than he does today though.

This. 

I haven't lost hope in Trevor Lawrence, he is a rookie being a rookie but still showing elite traits to be steered toward success. 

The guys making personnel decisions, game-planning and calling plays on the other hand, have me worried sick about their apparent ineptitude. 

I think Cullen will get better over the course of the season as his guys learn the system and start reacting instead of thinking. I think Bevell and Meyer need to figure out how the power run game works and call games exactly the opposite of how they have been so far. I have no concerns about Lawrence other than how he's being victimized by bad decisions made by those around him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

So far, I’m not worried about TL. I like that he isn’t scared to take risks. But he’s gotta learn with more time and games. I am worried about the offense style and scheme. It seems to be all out or nothing and we don’t have the other players on offense for that. I’m praying that this OC and HC don’t ruin him in the long run though. We had the ability and funds to bring in much better TE players (maybe they tried and nobody wanted to come here), O line players, and possible better draft picks (no other player besides TL was starting or possibly playing much). I think the majority of our worries should come from the staff. That seems to be the case every year lately. Makes me wonder…..
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

It's a shame he spent half of training camp throwing to guys that aren't even in the league right now... Maybe the timing and chemistry would be much better if, well, you know.................

(09-24-2021, 07:19 PM)Eric1 Wrote: It's a shame he spent half of training camp throwing to guys that aren't even in the league right now... Maybe the timing and chemistry would be much better if, well, you know.................

I am bang those pots and pans as well. That is what makes some of this irritating. I really hope these coaches don't slow drip torture us.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I'm not worried about TL in the least. 

I feel like he's already manipulating the pocket like a franchise veteran and that's the hardest skill to teach a QB. The throws will come, he'll settle down.

(09-24-2021, 09:40 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I'm not worried about TL in the least. 

I feel like he's already manipulating the pocket like a franchise veteran and that's the hardest skill to teach a QB. The throws will come, he'll settle down.

We're seeing similar stuff to year one Josh Allen but with better presence  and post game analytical comprehension. 

He'll come around, and if we're lucky the play calling will begin to mitigate his mistakes instead of forcing him into them.

Hopefully Trevor Lawrence will develop into an elite QB there. Sometimes coming out of college too soon could hurt you.
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

(09-25-2021, 12:13 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/_john_shipley/status...33859?s=21

Our d line is like a multi person embodiment of Dante Fowler.. they get so close, but never get the guy down lol.

(09-25-2021, 12:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 09:40 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I'm not worried about TL in the least. 

We're seeing similar stuff to year one Josh Allen but with better presence  and post game analytical comprehension. 

He'll come around, and if we're lucky the play calling will begin to mitigate his mistakes instead of forcing him into them.

Agreed, he'll be fine. A few more runs and more willingness to take checkdowns will go a long way.

(09-25-2021, 03:14 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 12:01 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: We're seeing similar stuff to year one Josh Allen but with better presence  and post game analytical comprehension. 

Agreed, he'll be fine. A few more runs and more willingness to take checkdowns will go a long way.

I can't remember the last time I saw this team run a screen.  And I'm not talking one of those damn bubble screens.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(09-25-2021, 03:26 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 03:14 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Agreed, he'll be fine. A few more runs and more willingness to take checkdowns will go a long way.

I can't remember the last time I saw this team run a screen.  And I'm not talking one of those damn bubble screens.

That too.

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2021, 08:20 PM by Bullseye.)

(09-21-2021, 06:21 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Well ever since Lawrence said he was a giant Peyton Manning fan growing up, taking his college number etc and of course being compared to ole jughead based on his draft hype/talent.. I find it fun to look for comparisions between the two. 

Week 1:
Peyton Manning: 1 TD 3 INTs 302 yds 58.6 QB rating with a loss to the Dolphins.
Trevor Lawrence: 3 TD 3 INTs 332 yds 70.1 QB rating with a loss to the Texans.

Week 2:
Peyton Manning:1 TD 3 INTs 188 yards 51.1 QB rating with a loss to the Patriots.
Trevor Lawrence: 1 TD 2 INTs 118 yards 37.2 QB rating with a loss to the Broncos.

Very similar start to their careers, Peyton and the colts went 0-4 to start his rookie season getting completely blown out in 2 of the 4 games. He went 3-13 that season. Will be curious to see if Trevor is able to turn it around faster than Peyton did but at the end of the day it's just a reminder for no one to freak out and scream bust for Lawrence or Meyer just yet. I have my doubts on T Law from watching his college play, but none of it seems like it's impossible to coach out of him. We shall see.

A couple of things to consider:

In Manning's rookie year, the safety measures that skewed the game hopelessly towards the offense were not implemented yet.  It was harder to move the ball against defenses then than it is now.

Second point:  Miami in 1998 was a playoff team.  So was New England.  Both were better than this current Texans team that cleaned our clocks.  I would say this Denver team was comparable in quality to those two teams that Manning faced in 1998.

That said, your overall point remains sound.

Early rookie season struggles can be overcome.  Just as Aikman was a better QB in year 3-4 than he was in 1-2, and as Manning was in year 2 than he was in year 1, Trevor Lawrence can be a better QB by this time nexxt year than he was these first two weeks.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he'll be a better QB later in the year than he is now.  My concern remains putting a good enough team around him to enable him to develop properly.

(09-22-2021, 04:18 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: These comparisons are misleading. There’s so many other factors to take into consideration. Lawrence can’t turn this bus around by himself. There’s 52 other players and a coaching staff who need to help. The only thing it proves, really, is that rookie QBs pretty much suck for at least half a season.

Peyton did have Marshal Faulk and Marvin Harrison btw. The comparison isn't really to say "hey this guy is Peyton Manning" but more of a, hey look one of the goats started off terribly and he did ok for himself.. so don't freak out type of thing.

Manning also had LT Tarik Glenn, too.

(09-22-2021, 06:16 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Nothing about what Trevor has done so far worries me at all. If he's still making the same mistakes next season then I'd think it's a problem. Right now is his time for mulligans.

We are in complete agreement here.

Trevor has shown me plenty to like so far.

He is being put in some unfortunate situations,  and that has led to some rookie mistakes (whether INTs or not).

But I like what I have seen from him.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(09-24-2021, 09:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

This. 

This is where I am at this point.

I have way more faith in Trevor Lawrence than I do Trent Baalke.

(09-25-2021, 08:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(09-24-2021, 09:04 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: This. 

This is where I am at this point.

I have more faith in Trevor than I do Baalke, Bevell, Urban, Cullen, and Schotty.

If Trevor someone gets a Joe Brady type, the sky’s the limit.

(09-25-2021, 08:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 08:24 PM)Bullseye Wrote: This is where I am at this point.

I have more faith in Trevor than I do Baalke, Bevell, Urban, Cullen, and Schotty.

If Trevor someone gets a Joe Brady type, the sky’s the limit.
(emphasis added)

Agreed completely!