Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

Voltage isn’t the culprit, current is.

https://youtu.be/9YmFHAFYwmY

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-09-2021, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 06:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: If you feel a sudden pulsating in your arm, let go of the wire.  Maybe even turn off the breaker before grabbing the black or red one.
There’s one minor problem, electricity will make muscles clench.  So you won’t be able to let go.  

SF, here my advice.  HB is right. Not really sure if I’ve ever seen him wrong though.  So there is much continuity there.   Ohm just going to let him handle this for Watt-ever it’s worth.  I say shut the breakers off and amp up the fun.  Maybe play some AC/DC on your phone. Maybe their “High Voltage” album with the classic song “live Wire” and the title track, of course.  

Seriously, what ever could possibly go wrong???

That being said, I’m a nerd in many aspects.  Electronics, electricity make the list along with home automation.  So, I have had my fair share of “let’s flip the breaker and hope the house don’t burn down”

I’m still here!!! Whether you like it or not. I encourage you to not only not take my advice, but also do t say “hey, it worked for that whack job@.  

RTFM.

No live juice guys dont worry. It's more of a am I putting this all together correctly problem. The machine is older than I am, no manual no labels. And the biggest problem of all, a lot of other guys' "field repairs".

That being said I understand 120v and 12v a lot better than 220v. I'm looking at a lot of "extra" wires lol.

(10-10-2021, 03:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: RTFM.

No live juice guys dont worry. It's more of a am I putting this all together correctly problem. The machine is older than I am, no manual no labels. And the biggest problem of all, a lot of other guys' "field repairs".

That being said I understand 120v and 12v a lot better than 220v. I'm looking at a lot of "extra" wires lol.

What is it, pumping equipment?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(10-10-2021, 07:01 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(10-10-2021, 03:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: RTFM.

What is it, pumping equipment?

I bought a raisin shaker, similar to what's in the video below. My crop is testing slightly high in moisture due to the smoke and I'm out of sunny days. So I'm going to blend the north end of the field (slightly dryer) with the south end. 

https://youtu.be/Q5BVY2BalZU

(10-09-2021, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 06:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: If you feel a sudden pulsating in your arm, let go of the wire.  Maybe even turn off the breaker before grabbing the black or red one.
There’s one minor problem, electricity will make muscles clench.  So you won’t be able to let go.  

SF, here my advice.  HB is right. Not really sure if I’ve ever seen him wrong though.  So there is much continuity there.   Ohm just going to let him handle this for Watt-ever it’s worth.  I say shut the breakers off and amp up the fun.  Maybe play some AC/DC on your phone. Maybe their “High Voltage” album with the classic song “live Wire” and the title track, of course.  

That being said, I’m a nerd in many aspects.  Electronics, electricity make the list along with home automation.  So, I have had my fair share of “let’s flip the breaker and hope the house don’t burn down”

I’m still here!!! Whether you like it or not. I encourage you to not only not take my advice, but also do t say “hey, it worked for that whack job@.  

RTFM.

fun story time. friend of the family is an electrician, and ended up in contact with a hot wire, and as advertised, was clenched like a vice grip. ended up having to get both feet on the wall and push himself off, ended up taking about a 10-12 foot fall to avoid getting cooked. Just glad he had the awareness to do that. Still messed him up pretty good, fractured noggin, stitches, and what not.

2/10 cannot recommend.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2021, 05:54 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-11-2021, 10:07 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote: There’s one minor problem, electricity will make muscles clench.  So you won’t be able to let go.  

RTFM.

fun story time. friend of the family is an electrician, and ended up in contact with a hot wire, and as advertised, was clenched like a vice grip. ended up having to get both feet on the wall and push himself off, ended up taking about a 10-12 foot fall to avoid getting cooked. Just glad he had the awareness to do that. Still messed him up pretty good, fractured noggin, stitches, and what not.

2/10 cannot recommend.

Luckily he’s still around to tell the story.  Usually if someone is nearby (not 12 feet off ground) someone can “push” them.  Backhand the wire, don’t pinch it. Or touch it normal. 

I know 2 electricians.  Here’s the type of crowd I hang around.   I’m told a few seasoned guys would stand side by side and hold hands and have the green horn on the end.  Then the first guy touches or back hands a live wire.  Supposedly the only one that feels the shock is the green horn on the end.  Darn right stupid but hilarious at the same time.  My friends are so cool. 

I tried that same thing with the mower but only my hand got cut off.  Maybe I did something wrong.  Wallbash

The Coke Zero commercial with that creepy little "I need to try it first."

(10-10-2021, 04:32 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-10-2021, 07:01 AM)Sneakers Wrote: What is it, pumping equipment?

I bought a raisin shaker, similar to what's in the video below. My crop is testing slightly high in moisture due to the smoke and I'm out of sunny days. So I'm going to blend the north end of the field (slightly dryer) with the south end. 

Made progress. We have a Baldor L3609T 3hp motor. It's hooked up to a 220v 13-18a motor starter (the part not working), that runs to the main power switch, and a cable with what I think is a 5-50 nema connection which seems to not be rated for 220v. 

New switch, new plug, and a new breaker in the panel, and I think it'll be sorted out.

(10-11-2021, 09:57 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-10-2021, 04:32 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I bought a raisin shaker, similar to what's in the video below. My crop is testing slightly high in moisture due to the smoke and I'm out of sunny days. So I'm going to blend the north end of the field (slightly dryer) with the south end. 

Made progress. We have a Baldor L3609T 3hp motor. It's hooked up to a 220v 13-18a motor starter (the part not working), that runs to the main power switch, and a cable with what I think is a 5-50 nema connection which seems to not be rated for 220v. 

New switch, new plug, and a new breaker in the panel, and I think it'll be sorted out.

Good deal. Above all else keep it safe. Non-rated parts used in field repairs get dangerous.

(10-11-2021, 10:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 09:57 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: Made progress. We have a Baldor L3609T 3hp motor. It's hooked up to a 220v 13-18a motor starter (the part not working), that runs to the main power switch, and a cable with what I think is a 5-50 nema connection which seems to not be rated for 220v. 

Good deal. Above all else keep it safe. Non-rated parts used in field repairs get dangerous.

Unfortunately my very bored father has attached himself to this project so I'll have to fight tooth and nail to not end up re-using what's laying around the shop. 

Going to get in a lot of arguments this week.

Won't even go into the whole story, but I'm still in Jax.  I was supposed to be home on Sunday night.  Had a direct flight to DFW.  Now I have to fly through Miami today.  Nothing like flying an hour in the wrong direction first.

This has honestly been one of the worst travel experiences I have ever had...going in both directions (I was five hours late getting in Friday).  And this is coming from someone that travelled for a living for 15 years.

I'm just hoping that I actually make it home this afternoon.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-12-2021, 08:32 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Won't even go into the whole story, but I'm still in Jax.  I was supposed to be home on Sunday night.  Had a direct flight to DFW.  Now I have to fly through Miami today.  Nothing like flying an hour in the wrong direction first.

This has honestly been one of the worst travel experiences I have ever had...going in both directions (I was five hours late getting in Friday).  And this is coming from someone that travelled for a living for 15 years.

Canceled flights?

(10-12-2021, 08:32 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Won't even go into the whole story, but I'm still in Jax.  I was supposed to be home on Sunday night.  Had a direct flight to DFW.  Now I have to fly through Miami today.  Nothing like flying an hour in the wrong direction first.

Probably just as easy to rent a car and drive home!

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 11:12 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-12-2021, 08:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Canceled flights?

Cancelled flight on the way out of Jax.  An unbelievable miriad of equipment issues on the way in...in two different planes.

I'm in the airport now.  I have no doubt I'll get out of Jax.  My fear is the connection in Miami.  I only have 40 minutes layover and of course my bags need to get transferred as well.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(10-12-2021, 11:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 08:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Canceled flights?

Cancelled flight on the way out of Jax.  An unbelievable miriad of equipment issues on the way in...in two different planes.

I'm in the airport now.  I have no doubt I'll get out of Jax.  My fear is the connection in Miami.  I only have 40 minutes layover and of course my bags need to get transferred as well.

Ye of little faith.  I suffered through numerous issues once coming through NYC, but Delta got me home.  My bags, on the other hand, went to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(10-10-2021, 03:23 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-09-2021, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote: There’s one minor problem, electricity will make muscles clench.  So you won’t be able to let go.  

RTFM.

It's really not too hard to understand.  In basic terms your home is supplied from a transformer with 240 volts (which some people call 220).  There is also a center tap coming from the transformer which is your neutral (the white wire on the 110/120 in your home).  When you hook up regular 110/120 power in your home you connect a black wire and a white wire and are basically using half of the 220/240 volts being supplied.  When you hook up 220/240 power you connect a black and usually a red together with no neutral to get 220/240 volts.

The reason that it's called 220 or 240 is because it can vary.  The goal is to get 240 volts from the transformer, but wire size, wire composition, distance from the transformer, etc. can cause that value to vary.

For both 120v and 240v you only need 3 conductors (wires).  In 120v you need a "hot" (black) neutral (white) and ground (green).  In 240 you need a "hot" (black) "return" which is also "hot" (red) and ground (green).

To explain the difference between "neutral" and "return" would require a whole lot of boring physics theory, but it's pretty simple really.

Do you understand the difference between AC and DC?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-12-2021, 11:11 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 08:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Canceled flights?

I feel your pain.  I got stuck in Washington DC one time because my company booked me on a VERY cheap airline.  I ended up scrambling to get on a different carrier with a flight into Orlando which I then had to rent a car to get back to Jacksonville.  Needless to say I booked my own travel after that fiasco.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-12-2021, 03:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Do you understand the difference between AC and DC?

That's a trick question, they're the same band.

Also, if you add 120 + 120  + 120 What do you have?

(10-12-2021, 03:21 PM)Olive Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 03:08 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Do you understand the difference between AC and DC?

3 phase power.   Big Grin

(10-12-2021, 03:21 PM)Olive Wrote: