Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How does Khan continue to sell this crap product?

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 01:13 PM by Kane.)

Because only 30 cities are blessed with NFL franchises. It's a special thing to have a home team. Even when your team is bad plenty of people will support it because it's theirs and one of only 32 teams.

Fans are stupid and crazy and loyal to a fault. We spend our money, our time, and our energy all with the stupid hope that one day we'll be a good team and we'll live vicariously through the team and it'll give us some sort of satisfaction when they hoist a trophy we actually had no part in winning.

Browns were a factory of sadness for a long time. The Lions too. It isn't just us. It happens all over the country.

We're marks. The billionaire owners of the NFL laugh all the way to the bank, win, lose or draw.

It's great innit?

(10-11-2021, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 07:11 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The moving rumors have been around since the team started. The fact that Shad has kept it here is what makes me thinking it's not *all* about money. If it were, he'd have just paid the penalty and moved the team to London by now. Jax has a good fan base and if the team were frequent contenders, they could raise prices and sell out the stadium easily every year. I think he and Lamping recognize that potential and it's what's keeping the team here. For now. Lease is up though in 2030 I believe, who knows what happens then.

Well, that and the fact moving a team to London is a near logistical, financial, administrative and legal impossibility. It sounds good for the Jaguars bashers, but in reality it will never happen for this team or any other.

The biggest reasonable fear is if San Diego decides it wants to build a nice stadium to draw a football team back.

I agree. I think the only time there'll be a full time team in London is after the NFL does another expansion.
Something international like perhaps. London AND Mexico City. Or Toronto or something. 
The biggest issues I think are taxes (international taxes are waaaaaay higher) and logistics.
It's quite a few years away still, I think, if at all.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's a long flight.

How does Khan sell this crap??? 

Well, when the only competition in town are the Giants, Sharks, Jumbo Shrimp, and some form of fake wrestling, it's not really a hard sell as we need to spend our $$ on some type of sporting event.

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 05:23 PM by D6. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-11-2021, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 07:11 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The moving rumors have been around since the team started. The fact that Shad has kept it here is what makes me thinking it's not *all* about money. If it were, he'd have just paid the penalty and moved the team to London by now. Jax has a good fan base and if the team were frequent contenders, they could raise prices and sell out the stadium easily every year. I think he and Lamping recognize that potential and it's what's keeping the team here. For now. Lease is up though in 2030 I believe, who knows what happens then.

Well, that and the fact moving a team to London is a near logistical, financial, administrative and legal impossibility. It sounds good for the Jaguars bashers, but in reality it will never happen for this team or any other.

The biggest reasonable fear is if San Diego decides it wants to build a nice stadium to draw a football team back.

Unless most of a stadium project in San Diego is privately funded, it's unlikely San Diego will have an NFL team again because of the difficulty of getting public funding stadiums approved in California.

A 2nd team in the Chicago area seems more likely,. If the Bears move to suburban Arlington Heights, IL, Chicago will likely approve funding for a new stadium at the Soldier Field lakefront site. Then the question would become, would the Bears and NFL get enough financial compensation to approve a 2nd team in the Chicago area?,

(10-13-2021, 05:22 PM)D6 Wrote:
(10-11-2021, 07:29 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Well, that and the fact moving a team to London is a near logistical, financial, administrative and legal impossibility. It sounds good for the Jaguars bashers, but in reality it will never happen for this team or any other.

Unless most of a stadium project in San Diego is privately funded, it's unlikely San Diego will have an NFL team again because of the difficulty of getting public funding stadiums approved in California.

A 2nd team in the Chicago area seems more likely,. If the Bears move to suburban Arlington Heights, IL, Chicago will likely approve funding for a new stadium at the Soldier Field lakefront site. Then the question would become, would the Bears and NFL get enough financial compensation to approve a 2nd team in the Chicago area?,

They will if Jacksonville stymies Khan's big civic projects and he can be a builder in Chicago.  I have a bias against certain cities but there are sure are dollars there to drill and pry.  I guess when you are a billionaire you want to do something lasting outside your kids.  See Dallas area and all the things Jerry has done.  Even though I lost 20 years of fandom because of him, he is a savvy owner who knows how to work the dollar.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-13-2021, 06:39 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 05:22 PM)D6 Wrote: Unless most of a stadium project in San Diego is privately funded, it's unlikely San Diego will have an NFL team again because of the difficulty of getting public funding stadiums approved in California.

They will if Jacksonville stymies Khan's big civic projects and he can be a builder in Chicago.  I have a bias against certain cities but there are sure are dollars there to drill and pry.  I guess when you are a billionaire you want to do something lasting outside your kids.  See Dallas area and all the things Jerry has done.  Even though I lost 20 years of fandom because of him, he is a savvy owner who knows how to work the dollar.

When it comes to business and overall financial decisions, Shad Khan indeed has a great track record.  Any mistakes Khan has made with the Jaguars regarding hirings is far offset from a dollar standpoint by the immense increase in the value of the Jaguars Franchise.

By no means am I predicting it's the Jaguars that will end up moving to Chicago.  Hopefully,  the Jaguars will be in Jacksonville as long as the NFL exists. Several franchises might consider a move to Chicago over the next 10 to 15 years.  Yet, compared to moving to a small or mid sized market, Chicago likely would appeal to Khan because of the size of the market and international opportunities.

It's going to make it that much sweeter if and when the jags win baby!

For 2021, Khan was able to field a bad product and still sell tickets because of the allure of the #1 pick and a coach hire that some thought (or hoped) brought something to the table.

Unfortunately, the coach is drowning in ineptitude at the pro level and the kid QB isn't getting the help he needs from the new regime via roster additions or gameplanning/play-calling.

So, it's more suckage until the surrounding talent improves and the staff gets their heads out of their butts or gets replaced by a better staff.

A quality HC probably has this team at 2-3 right now IMO.

(10-13-2021, 11:41 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I still want Byron Leftwich here. He was ALWAYS known for his football IQ. He also is obviously very familiar with the Jags organization. What do we have to lose lol?

Sadly, Vic echoes my sentiment.

Quote:Dan from Ormond Beach, FL
You seem to have some strong feelings as to who would potentially be a good leader for the Jaguars. Would Byron Leftwich be on your short list?
Byron was mistreated by Jaguars fans when he was the team's quarterback. They mocked everything about him, from the way he threw the ball to the way he talked. He wouldn't be a good fit to coach the Jaguars because I fear he'd get the same treatment again. He can do better and he deserves better.

I agree with you that BL likely has what it takes to be a future coach, but just not here. Too many folks unwilling to drop old baggage.

(10-14-2021, 08:13 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 11:41 AM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: I still want Byron Leftwich here. He was ALWAYS known for his football IQ. He also is obviously very familiar with the Jags organization. What do we have to lose lol?

You seem to have some strong feelings as to who would potentially be a good leader for the Jaguars. Would Byron Leftwich be on your short list?
Byron was mistreated by Jaguars fans when he was the team's quarterback. They mocked everything about him, from the way he threw the ball to the way he talked. He wouldn't be a good fit to coach the Jaguars because I fear he'd get the same treatment again. He can do better and he deserves better.

I agree with you that BL likely has what it takes to be a future coach, but just not here. Too many folks unwilling to drop old baggage.

Winning solves everything, he would be fine here and it's why the current guy is struggling.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

On the other hand, Mark Brunell and Keenan McCardell come to mind. If one or both of them eventually get to the point in their respective NFL Coaching Careers that they are considered worth interviewing for the Jaguars HC position,  both would probably be highly popular choices.

I don't think Khan cares either way if the Jags win or lose. Sure he would prefer a winner, however as long as the franchise is producing a profit then he seems to be ok with cruise control.
Khan bought into the Urban Meyer hype and we are realizing the result.
"So you're saying there's a chance!".   - Lloyd Christmas

(10-15-2021, 01:32 AM)Redrunt82 Wrote: I don't think Khan cares either way if the Jags win or lose. Sure he would prefer a winner, however as long as the franchise is producing a profit then he seems to be ok with cruise control.

There was Urban Meyer hype?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2021, 08:21 PM by Redrunt82. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-15-2021, 08:22 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 01:32 AM)Redrunt82 Wrote: I don't think Khan cares either way if the Jags win or lose. Sure he would prefer a winner, however as long as the franchise is producing a profit then he seems to be ok with cruise control.

There was Urban Meyer hype?

Khan sure seemed excited when he hired him so he was hyped up on something.
"So you're saying there's a chance!".   - Lloyd Christmas

As long as the money keeps pouring in, Khan is happy. The National Football League sells itself. It’s just a business to Khan. He probably doesn’t even know football. I guarantee he doesn’t even know the history of his own team, like who scored the first TD, what was our first playoff win, etc.

The dude is literally just running this team like he would a car dealership.

Does he even go to all of the games ?

(10-15-2021, 08:24 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: As long as the money keeps pouring in, Khan is happy. The National Football League sells itself. It’s just a business to Khan. He probably doesn’t even know football. I guarantee he doesn’t even know the history of his own team, like who scored the first TD, what was our first playoff win, etc.

To be fair, most Jaguar fans don't know the answer to those questions.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2021, 02:21 PM by Rockman1966. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'd rather be the OC for the reigning SB champions then be the HC of this [BLEEP]-show.

(10-16-2021, 03:29 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 08:24 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: As long as the money keeps pouring in, Khan is happy. The National Football League sells itself. It’s just a business to Khan. He probably doesn’t even know football. I guarantee he doesn’t even know the history of his own team, like who scored the first TD, what was our first playoff win, etc.

To be fair, most Jaguar fans don't know the answer to those questions.

That’s fair, but the owner should know.

(10-16-2021, 03:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 03:29 AM)Dimson Wrote: To be fair, most Jaguar fans don't know the answer to those questions.

That’s fair, but the owner should know.

Why?

(10-16-2021, 03:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 03:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: That’s fair, but the owner should know.

Why?

It has always been strange to me the ridiculous assumptions made about what Khan knows or doesn't know. And some of the expectations fans create for owners in general are silly too.

He is at liberty to run this thing any way he sees fit

Personally, i think he wants to field a winner as badly as most of us want him to, he's just struggled to hire the right GM/HC combo so far. 

At least he has hold of a legit QB now.
*shrug*