Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I see a problem with Leftwich as HC

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2021, 10:39 AM by SeldomRite.)

(12-25-2021, 10:16 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 07:48 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: It was in the news that off-season that his shoulder was shot, and when he played it looked like he couldn't throw with the same velocity he had before (which wasn't elite to start with). If I had to guess, McDaniels found out he wasn't a sure thing to stick around and decided he didn't need to be in another Broncos situation. It's scummy, but from that standpoint I can't blame him. Can you imagine being the coach of the colts when they run out of quarterbacks and go into a decades long run of mediocrity? That fan base is the very definition of spoiled. They don't even have to make noise at their home games. A few years of sub .500 and there'll be talk about the mayflower vans coming back.

Bro Luck had 39 TDs and almost 4600 yards in '18 tho lol. It was arguably his best year as a pro.

(12-21-2021, 08:05 PM)High Octane Wrote: So have we kind of given up on the possibility of Eric Bieniemy / Brian Daboll  as the next head coach? I keep seeing bunch of names listed such as Lefwich, McDaniels, Pederson, Caldwell, etc.

I feel like we need to go with a guy who's been a HC before.. maybe if Trevor had a good rookie year and our team wasn't so bad you could take a chance on a new guy but it's sketchy right now because if another guy fails miserably it might ruin Trevor.

Yeah, Luck had a good season and promptly retired, and I'm not misremembering the rumors, there was a lot of talk about him being done. That he still played a good season after that has nothing to do with what I said.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-25-2021, 10:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 10:16 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Bro Luck had 39 TDs and almost 4600 yards in '18 tho lol. It was arguably his best year as a pro.

I feel like we need to go with a guy who's been a HC before.. maybe if Trevor had a good rookie year and our team wasn't so bad you could take a chance on a new guy but it's sketchy right now because if another guy fails miserably it might ruin Trevor.

Yeah, Luck had a good season and promptly retired, and I'm not misremembering the rumors, there was a lot of talk about him being done. That he still played a good season after that has nothing to do with what I said.

I just don't recall the rumors, but I do remember people being absolutely shocked when he did retire which makes me think maybe they weren't that many of them.

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2021, 12:26 PM by SeldomRite. Edited 3 times in total.)

(12-25-2021, 11:40 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 10:39 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Yeah, Luck had a good season and promptly retired, and I'm not misremembering the rumors, there was a lot of talk about him being done. That he still played a good season after that has nothing to do with what I said.

I just don't recall the rumors, but I do remember people being absolutely shocked when he did retire which makes me think maybe they weren't that many of them.

The seriousness of his shoulder problems had been suspected for a while. https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nf...523709001/

I'll see if I can dig up some of the rumors of him being done.

Here's more about his botched rehab in 2018 https://www.yahoo.com/news/andrew-luck-n...25003.html

And this makes it sound like he's no sure thing to even play in 2018 https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2252...-right-now

Here's some about his problems speculating about his career being in jeopardy. If also includes something about that not being why McDaniels bailed, but, really, would you expect him to admit to it? https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/2/7/16...er-surgery

Really, just reading between the lines for major stories during the 2018 off-season is pretty clear he was probably closer to the end of his career than people were thinking.

If we're going to hire Byron Leftwich as our head coach, why stop there?  Let's be consistent with our hiring philosophy.  Blaine Gabbert could be our offensive coordinator.  Blake Bortles can be the quarterbacks coach.  Luke Joeckel would be perfect as our offensive line coach.  If he's not in prison or rehab, R. Jay Soward can be our wide receivers coach.  There would also be no need to retain Joe Cullen as Derrick Harvey has to be the perfect defensive coordinator.  Yes, because someone played here once, that's a great reason to make them a coach.

(12-25-2021, 02:17 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: If we're going to hire Byron Leftwich as our head coach, why stop there?  Let's be consistent with our hiring philosophy.  Blaine Gabbert could be our offensive coordinator.  Blake Bortles can be the quarterbacks coach.  Luke Joeckel would be perfect as our offensive line coach.  If he's not in prison or rehab, R. Jay Soward can be our wide receivers coach.  There would also be no need to retain Joe Cullen as Derrick Harvey has to be the perfect defensive coordinator.  Yes, because someone played here once, that's a great reason to make them a coach.

I'm pretty sure the notion of him coaching in Jax stems from the amount on nat'l media attention he's getting as a HC candidate this offseason and the fact that he's coached under the very respected Bruce Arians for 6 years.  

Having played here is merely a novelty that makes him a slightly more interesting candidate.

Personally - I'd like someone with more experience at the HC spot - however - the suggestion of Leftwich at HC and Jim Caldwell at QB coach/asst. HC is an intriguing one to me. Pairing Byron with someone experienced to lean on seems feasible if all parties are aligned in mission/philosophy.

(12-25-2021, 02:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 02:17 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: If we're going to hire Byron Leftwich as our head coach, why stop there?  Let's be consistent with our hiring philosophy.  Blaine Gabbert could be our offensive coordinator.  Blake Bortles can be the quarterbacks coach.  Luke Joeckel would be perfect as our offensive line coach.  If he's not in prison or rehab, R. Jay Soward can be our wide receivers coach.  There would also be no need to retain Joe Cullen as Derrick Harvey has to be the perfect defensive coordinator.  Yes, because someone played here once, that's a great reason to make them a coach.

I'm pretty sure the notion of him coaching in Jax stems from the amount on nat'l media attention he's getting as a HC candidate this offseason and the fact that he's coached under the very respected Bruce Arians for 6 years.  

Having played here is merely a novelty that makes him a slightly more interesting candidate.

Personally - I'd like someone with more experience at the HC spot - however - the suggestion of Leftwich at HC and Jim Caldwell at QB coach/asst. HC is an intriguing one to me. Pairing Byron with someone experienced to lean on seems feasible if all parties are aligned in mission/philosophy.

While I was obviously being facetious in my message, I do think name recognition and nostalgia are big reasons why he is getting so much buzz in Jacksonville.  I just watched a webcast on who should be the next coach and every single person wanting Leftwich inevitably says "He used to play for the Jaguars" as part of their reason.  What difference does that make?!??  I want the best coach.  I don't care whether or not he played here.  I know it's a very subjective thing, but there are several candidates that I like better than Leftwich.  He lacks experience and his success largely overlaps with having Tom Brady as his quarterback.  Pairing Leftwich with Caldwell doesn't excite me either.  If he needs someone to lean on, then he's not the right person to lead the team.

(12-25-2021, 03:02 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 02:31 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'm pretty sure the notion of him coaching in Jax stems from the amount on nat'l media attention he's getting as a HC candidate this offseason and the fact that he's coached under the very respected Bruce Arians for 6 years.  

While I was obviously being facetious in my message, I do think name recognition and nostalgia are big reasons why he is getting so much buzz in Jacksonville.  I just watched a webcast on who should be the next coach and every single person wanting Leftwich inevitably says "He used to play for the Jaguars" as part of their reason.  What difference does that make?!??  I want the best coach.  I don't care whether or not he played here.  I know it's a very subjective thing, but there are several candidates that I like better than Leftwich.  He lacks experience and his success largely overlaps with having Tom Brady as his quarterback.  Pairing Leftwich with Caldwell doesn't excite me either.  If he needs someone to lean on, then he's not the right person to lead the team.

I agree that his history as a player in Jax should not be a reason to want him as a HC.
Those factoring that in as a "reason" or qualification are making an error in judgement. 

I don't know if he is as qualified as Arians makes him out to be when he speaks of him highly, but it's very possible he's not ready. 

If Arians is accurate in his assessment and not just blowing smoke, then Leftwich might be the next up-and-coming HC in the NFL before long -  and a pairing of him with Caldwell would interest me. 

If Arians is just being effusively complimentary, then I wouldn't want Leftwich as HC. 

Kind-of impossible to know which is really the case right know IMO. I completely understand the aversion to such a young and inexperienced candidate though. It's my initial gut reaction as well. Just trying to stay open-minded and consider all comers.

Of course I tried that with Meyer until I knew for sure it was a mistake around the 3rd quarter of week 2. Hope it doesn't get me that way again.

I'm really starting to lean heavily on the McDaniels side of things. I like Pederson as well. But I watched a video yesterday it was with Chris Simms and they were talking about McDaniels and he says there were things going on in Denver behind the scenes. Simms pointed out how the Broncos didn't even have enough money to pay Simms his bonus until the start of the new year. He also goes into more details about McDaniels with the Pats. I think McDaniels has learned some valuable things from his time in Denver. I mean look at the path McDaniels has taken during his time as a coach...it's not much different from Belichicks. How many people would be wanting to hire Bill after what happened with the Browns and Jets? Not much different than the Broncos and Colts.

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2021, 10:10 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

These guys thinking McDaniels would come here  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 12-25-2021, 10:22 PM by YouMadThough.)

(12-25-2021, 05:07 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I'm really starting to lean heavily on the McDaniels side of things. I like Pederson as well. But I watched a video yesterday it was with Chris Simms and they were talking about McDaniels and he says there were things going on in Denver behind the scenes. Simms pointed out how the Broncos didn't even have enough money to pay Simms his bonus until the start of the new year. He also goes into more details about McDaniels with the Pats. I think McDaniels has learned some valuable things from his time in Denver. I mean look at the path McDaniels has taken during his time as a coach...it's not much different from Belichicks. How many people would be wanting to hire Bill after what happened with the Browns and Jets? Not much different than the Broncos and Colts.

McDaniels isnt coming here. Thats just a wet dream.

(12-25-2021, 10:10 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: These guys thinking McDaniels would come here  Laughing
Delusional

(12-25-2021, 10:21 PM)YouMadThough Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 05:07 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I'm really starting to lean heavily on the McDaniels side of things. I like Pederson as well. But I watched a video yesterday it was with Chris Simms and they were talking about McDaniels and he says there were things going on in Denver behind the scenes. Simms pointed out how the Broncos didn't even have enough money to pay Simms his bonus until the start of the new year. He also goes into more details about McDaniels with the Pats. I think McDaniels has learned some valuable things from his time in Denver. I mean look at the path McDaniels has taken during his time as a coach...it's not much different from Belichicks. How many people would be wanting to hire Bill after what happened with the Browns and Jets? Not much different than the Broncos and Colts.

McDaniels isnt coming here. Thats just a wet dream.

(12-25-2021, 10:10 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: These guys thinking McDaniels would come here  Laughing
Delusional

I’m not gonna pretend to know the inner motivations of Josh McDaniels like you guys are pretending to know, but I do know Khan could make him the highest paid coach in the NFL if he chose to do so. 

That kind of money can alter lots of intended courses.

If McDaniels doesn't want to come here for premium money, deep cap space and a generational QB, [BLEEP] him. That's his loss.

(12-25-2021, 11:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If McDaniels doesn't want to come here for premium money, deep cap space and a generational QB, [BLEEP] him. That's his loss.

There is a generational QB in the draft?

And no, I am not saying he is a bust but there hasn't been any signs at all that he is a generational QB.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(12-25-2021, 10:46 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 10:21 PM)YouMadThough Wrote: McDaniels isnt coming here. Thats just a wet dream.

Delusional

I’m not gonna pretend to know the inner motivations of Josh McDaniels like you guys are pretending to know, but I do know Khan could make him the highest paid coach in the NFL if he chose to do so. 

That kind of money can alter lots of intended courses.

No it can't, McDaniels seems to be really happy in NE. And for sure he knows he got that job soon as Belichick retires.

He turned down the Colts job years ago in a better/talented roster and bunch of draft picks.

Haha. But blake bottles isn't available yet. Hes the subsitide qb for every team in the NFL who needs help in their qb room when the covid protocol hits

(12-26-2021, 12:20 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 11:55 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: If McDaniels doesn't want to come here for premium money, deep cap space and a generational QB, [BLEEP] him. That's his loss.

There is a generational QB in the draft?

And no, I am not saying he is a bust but there hasn't been any signs at all that he is a generational QB.
So weird that the word generational is used so loosely on this forum board.

They once said Luck was a generational talent and had a pretty good career also made the Colts a contender but, I dont see any signs of Lawrence even playing close to Lucks level.

I have no issues with the words "generational talent" Trevor was that coming out of college (and high school). Does that mean he is a generational rookie? Nope, but his talent coming out of college was better than nearly every QB who's come out of the draft. That doesn't guarantee success at this level, but it doesn't hurt.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2021, 07:33 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don't have any particular problem with Leftwich other than his lack of head coaching experience.  Therefore, if I was doing the hiring, the interview would be really important.  What is his plan?  Who would be his assistants?  And so on. 

Of course, the problem with deferring to the judgment of the man doing the hiring is that Shad Khan has not made a good hire yet.  He's got a big fat goose-egg for all of his hires as owner.

With the enormous number of empty seats that I saw at the last game, and the truly incredible number of unsold seats for the Indy game, that I see from looking at Ticketmaster, I would not be surprised if at some point the NFL itself steps in and offers to help with hiring the next head coach.  Because, based on the number of unsold seats for the next game (and I mean it is a huge number, you can go look for yourself), this entire franchise is failing and it's all due to lack of success on the field. 

Last game, I was sitting in the West stands, looking across at the East stands, and I swear 90% of the seats in the East stands were empty.  I've never seen it that bad before.  Not even in preseason.

(12-26-2021, 01:05 AM)YouMadThough Wrote:
(12-26-2021, 12:20 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: There is a generational QB in the draft?

So weird that the word generational is used so loosely on this forum board.

They once said Luck was a generational talent and had a pretty good career also made the Colts a contender but, I dont see any signs of Lawrence even playing close to Lucks level.

I don't see it used very much around here actually. 

Regardless - Lawrence's prospect ratings were so high and so universally high, that he will be called "generational" from that perspective alone. And it is precisely that perspective that gets him compared to Luck. Not his rookie performance. He's not lived up to his prospect ratings yet, but he's had literally everything stacked against him. I'll wait till I see him with at least a shred of competence around him before calling anything. 

Right now he's shown rare arm talent, inconsistent decision making, inconsistent accuracy, good toughness, and maturity beyond his years. 
Still lots of hope for this kid.

People want to forget he came out as an underclassman. Oh well, people gonna think what they wanna think.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]