Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Head Coach Candidates (Merged Threads)

(01-14-2022, 11:26 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I just hope they pick a head coach that has been a head coach before. There are not many that get it "right" the first time around. (no matter hot a commodity they are) Just my opinion.  Also, I would prefer they did not hire one that half the fan base does not like even before being hired like Urban was.

I don't see the level of disagreement with Byron being hired as there was when Urban was hired.

Half the fan base might prefer someone else, but the majority would still not be upset if Byron was hired.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-15-2022, 01:03 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 11:26 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I just hope they pick a head coach that has been a head coach before. There are not many that get it "right" the first time around. (no matter hot a commodity they are) Just my opinion.  Also, I would prefer they did not hire one that half the fan base does not like even before being hired like Urban was.

I don't see the level of disagreement with Byron being hired as there was when Urban was hired.

Half the fan base might prefer someone else, but the majority would still not be upset if Byron was hired.

My major concern is bringing in a Coach who is new to his position in this mess.  Experience matters a ton!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-15-2022, 01:08 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 01:03 AM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: I don't see the level of disagreement with Byron being hired as there was when Urban was hired.

My major concern is bringing in a Coach who is new to his position in this mess.  Experience matters a ton!

None of these head coaches had experience prior, and all of them are in the playoffs right now:

https://twitter.com/slotfade/status/1481653086766567426

(01-15-2022, 01:15 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 01:08 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My major concern is bringing in a Coach who is new to his position in this mess.  Experience matters a ton!

None of these head coaches had experience prior, and all of them are in the playoffs right now:

None of them joined a basketcase like this org is right now.  I think the only coach that can be successful will need to be larger than life in order to deal with the admin and player issues he's going to face.  And he needs to bring along a whole cadre of coaching partners ready for the long, hard haul as well.  His battles off the field will almost certainly be larger than his battles on the field.  Perhaps a coaching/GM pair could join and find success.

(01-15-2022, 01:08 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My major concern is bringing in a Coach who is new to his position in this mess.  Experience matters a ton!

We don't need facts in this thread. We need more narrative driven opinions.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-15-2022, 02:02 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 01:15 AM)Upper Wrote: None of these head coaches had experience prior, and all of them are in the playoffs right now:

None of them joined a basketcase like this org is right now.  I think the only coach that can be successful will need to be larger than life in order to deal with the admin and player issues he's going to face.  And he needs to bring along a whole cadre of coaching partners ready for the long, hard haul as well.  His battles off the field will almost certainly be larger than his battles on the field.  Perhaps a coaching/GM pair could join and find success.

Kyle Shanahan joined a team who was still dealing with the Kaepernick drama, had multiple one and done head coaches, multiple stars up and retire early, oh and Trent Baalke. He has done pretty well with that team and started with a rookie GM as well.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-15-2022, 02:02 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 01:15 AM)Upper Wrote: None of these head coaches had experience prior, and all of them are in the playoffs right now:

So you want the Urban Error plan again. Another #smarttake.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 08:32 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-15-2022, 12:06 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 11:41 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: The number one rule of the Internet.  Be prepared to weather the braying of the sheep if you dare have a contrary opinion.  The corollary of the first rule is that an easy endorphin kick is available to the sheep by virtue of being a sheep.  "Bah!  Bah!" little lambs.

My motto is to ignore idiots. Just like in life I don't give idiots the time of day. The people on my block list I do not respect while they rarely have anything worth reading aside from insulting other users. 
. This board is becoming as toxic as the team.  I come here to talk football, not argue with internet tough guys who hurl insults like it's middle school. 

If you choose not to block people and argue with idiots that is your prerogative. I rather stick to football.

I constantly have different views then the sheep on the board so not afraid of controversy.

Weak minded people use the block feature.

Case and point.

The thing that cracks me up is the clown blocks people that insult him yet his idea of a dissenting point of view is to call people that don't want to bash Lawrence in 90% of their posts, nut huggers.

[BLEEP] hypocrite.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-14-2022, 08:55 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 07:53 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Quite a few current or future HOF coaches were retreads. Heck, Coughlin was a retread when he won a Superbowl in New York.

Yes, but would you have hired Coughlin to be the "new" coach of the Jaguars? (Yes I know he was with us before NY, but pretend he was with another team and just let go by them).

He was just an example of a guy who had previous experience and then went on to great success. As someone pointed out, most Superbowl winning coaches the last 20 years had previous coaching experience but weren't with their original teams.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-15-2022, 08:24 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 08:55 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: Yes, but would you have hired Coughlin to be the "new" coach of the Jaguars? (Yes I know he was with us before NY, but pretend he was with another team and just let go by them).

He was just an example of a guy who had previous experience and then went on to great success. As someone pointed out, most Superbowl winning coaches the last 20 years had previous coaching experience but weren't with their original teams.

That makes sense.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Over/Under on the next hire being announced on Monday?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I think with so many job opportunities, the urgency might be to hire sooner than later, but time will tell.

(01-15-2022, 08:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 12:06 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My motto is to ignore idiots. Just like in life I don't give idiots the time of day. The people on my block list I do not respect while they rarely have anything worth reading aside from insulting other users. 
. This board is becoming as toxic as the team.  I come here to talk football, not argue with internet tough guys who hurl insults like it's middle school. 

If you choose not to block people and argue with idiots that is your prerogative. I rather stick to football.

I constantly have different views then the sheep on the board so not afraid of controversy.

Case and point.

The thing that cracks me up is the clown blocks people that insult him yet his idea of a dissenting point of view is to call people that don't want to bash Lawrence in 90% of their posts, nut huggers.

[BLEEP] hypocrite.
“They called me names first waaaaaah”

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 01:44 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

How many of those have a SB win? That's the goal

(01-14-2022, 07:49 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: Serious question, who was the last coach that was a retread? Reid? I do not know the answer to that question, maybe that means that retreads are just as likely to fail as new hc's. They likely come with other issues and benefits, an issue I can think of is they may be stubborn because they know what works. A benefit could be that they know what works :-P

Looked around, but no one said it:  Bruce Arians is a "retread".  So the last 2 Super Bowls have been won by retreads.

On topic, don't know if anyone has mentioned the other guy on Buffalo:  Leslie Frazier.  I'd consider him.  I believe the Bears are, too.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 02:15 PM by Brett. Edited 1 time in total.)

AH! I was just browsing Byron's wikipedia page and noticed yesterday was his birthday. Let's all wish our man a HAPPY BELATED one!

I'd still want Jim Caldwell. Whether at HC or OC. The work he did alone with the Lions is enough to convince me he can truly turn things around.

I hope they get it right. Perhaps ultimately it will be one of the candidates we least expected. The only candidate I am absolutely opposed to is BOB. I would rather have Bevell than BOB.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2022, 02:43 PM by scottyg.)

(01-15-2022, 08:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 12:06 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: My motto is to ignore idiots. Just like in life I don't give idiots the time of day. The people on my block list I do not respect while they rarely have anything worth reading aside from insulting other users. 

Case and point.

[BLEEP] hypocrite.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't really recall any name-calling prior to 'nut huggers'.  Dip [BLEEP] asks for it.  Double hypocrite?  Is there such a thing?

(01-15-2022, 08:24 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 08:55 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote: Yes, but would you have hired Coughlin to be the "new" coach of the Jaguars? (Yes I know he was with us before NY, but pretend he was with another team and just let go by them).

You don't think that 20 year thing is skewed a little bit by that one guy who has 7 of them?

(01-15-2022, 01:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

How many of those have a SB win?  That's the goal

Give it time. Most of them are fairly early in their careers and are in the process of building young teams.  

And I'd be willing to bet most Super Bowl winning QBs were in the league and were a lot more polished than a lot of the young guns on those teams too.