Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(04-17-2022, 10:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Telehandler? I call that my ex-wife's dinner fork.

[Image: 71598560-56a7bee33df78cf77298eba2.jpg]

Laughing Laughing

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-17-2022, 10:39 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Telehandler? I call that my ex-wife's dinner fork.

She didn’t operate it upside down did she?

(04-17-2022, 09:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 06:10 PM)Jags Wrote: I dont know what I’ll use it for, but yeah…lol.  What guy doesn’t like “heavy equipment”?  You got a bobcat for sale? I might be a buyer at the right price. I could really use it when I…..

…..

……

I’m sure I can use it.  That’s all that matters.

My kingdom for a telehandler

Could use it in so many ways at the new job - I use a borrowed fork and scissor lift frequently, but one of these with a telescoping fork and separate bucket or work-platform attachment would be gold for me

I thought you were a musician.  What’s this super awesome new cool job that requires a piece of equipment like that? And are they hiring? Lol

(04-18-2022, 03:20 PM)Jags Wrote:

She didn’t operate it upside down did she?

That's why I divorced her.

(04-19-2022, 07:54 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(04-18-2022, 03:20 PM)Jags Wrote: She didn’t operate it upside down did she?

That's why I divorced her.

I figured as much.  Smh,  idk why that gets your goat so much.  But I somehow find it very amusing, for whatever reason.   Poor woman.

(04-19-2022, 07:22 PM)Jags Wrote:
(04-17-2022, 09:27 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: My kingdom for a telehandler

Could use it in so many ways at the new job - I use a borrowed fork and scissor lift frequently, but one of these with a telescoping fork and separate bucket or work-platform attachment would be gold for me

I thought you were a musician.  What’s this super awesome new cool job that requires a piece of equipment like that? And are they hiring? Lol

Concert promoter at a music venue. 

I have a large stage to manage in a large covered pavilion. Stage lights and sound equipment are rigged and flown from red iron beams and aluminum trussing in various configurations and manipulated for different concerts requirements. 

I also still tour and perform about 100 days annually.

(04-19-2022, 10:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 07:22 PM)Jags Wrote: I thought you were a musician.  What’s this super awesome new cool job that requires a piece of equipment like that? And are they hiring? Lol

Concert promoter at a music venue. 

I have a large stage to manage in a large covered pavilion. Stage lights and sound equipment are rigged and flown from red iron beams and aluminum trussing in various configurations and manipulated for different concerts requirements. 

OK, time to come clean - sounds like this would be an awesome job, but I can also see where it would get to be a grind or a headache depending on the artists/crews you work with.

(04-20-2022, 09:18 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-19-2022, 10:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Concert promoter at a music venue. 

OK, time to come clean - sounds like this would be an awesome job, but I can also see where it would get to be a grind or a headache depending on the artists/crews you work with.

Yes and yes.

Plenty of highs and lows. Lots of hard work too as the venue is new and I do lots of things myself that will eventually be delegated to staff I don't have yet.

Box office profit from a successful show can sometimes reward the grind handsomely. Good motivation to keep at it.

(06-18-2017, 12:44 AM)Jags02 Wrote: Drivers who merge too early getting onto the freeway forcing you to go around them.

Also Drivers who drive on the side of the road far past the merge lane ending to pass as many people as they can when theres bad traffic.
And people who are too lazy to turn a blinker on, and slam their breaks to turn.

....people who resurrect old posts and remind us of friends who have passed on. (jk, kinda)

(Sorry, cjb, just miss 02 a ton.)

To shoehorn on your gripes...when a roadway introduces a separate lane for deceleration and turning, DO NOT BRAKE BEFORE CHANGING LANES. THAT IS WHAT THE NEW LANE IS FOR, YA DOOF.

(This post was last modified: 04-21-2022, 07:23 PM by Jags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(04-21-2022, 09:53 AM)Mikey Wrote: ....people who resurrect old posts and remind us of friends who have passed on. (jk, kinda)

(Sorry, cjb, just miss 02 a ton.)

To shoehorn on your gripes...when a roadway introduces a separate lane for deceleration and turning, DO NOT BRAKE BEFORE CHANGING LANES. THAT IS WHAT THE NEW LANE IS FOR, YA DOOF.

There is a turning lane I use very frequently and I have to brake before I get to it.  The lane is 50-75 feet but the speed limit on the road is 45 but universally accepted as being 55 (even by cops, I’ve rarely seen anyone pulled over). Just not enough real estate to safely Sloan down.  Even if I hit it at 45 I feel I’m eating my brakes up. 

Road related.  I just saw an electric Mustang.  Or at least it identifies as a mustang.  Even seeing the pony on the back, I’m like…nah.  No you’re not.

Edit:  that turning lane I’m talking about, I use it 3-4 times a day.  After talking about this, I attempted to approach it at 45 mph before merging over.  I had my turn signal (or blinker for those that like to sound silly when they talk) on.  I couldn’t do it.  I inadvertently let off the gas and hit that lane at 42-43 mph and then mashed the brakes.  If a student driver did that, I’m pretty sure the instructor would be telling him/her to slow down or would have already used the brake on his side, lol.  The lady that was trying to make a right at that spot seemingly found it amusing too!   Her eyes were wide and her mouth dropped. Nice weather, we both had our windows down. I just said, “thanks but no thanks”.

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2022, 05:22 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

Why are people in such a rush these days?  I am already exceeding the speed limit and people are tailgating me.  What's going to happen to you if it takes an extra minute to get to your destination?

(04-22-2022, 05:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why are people in such a rush these days?  I am already exceeding the speed limit and people are tailgating me.  What's going to happen to you if it takes an extra minute to get to your destination?

Lack of enforcement makes laws just suggestions.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-22-2022, 05:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Why are people in such a rush these days?  I am already exceeding the speed limit and people are tailgating me.  What's going to happen to you if it takes an extra minute to get to your destination?

Gotta win the race to the next red light. I always make sure to wave once I catch up.

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2022, 08:23 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-22-2022, 09:55 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Gotta win the race to the next red light. I always make sure to wave once I catch up.

Oddly enough, there is also a lane merge very near by that many [BLEEP] try to take advantage of.  Usually, I’ll see them at the next light about 3 miles down the road.  I often wonder why people fee the need to be 3-5 car lengths ahead.  Makes no sense.  But one time, said [BLEEP], did the same thing and all traffic came to a halt.  He was on the other side of the road in the woods.  I can’t imagine what is so important to risk yourself and others.

Just the other day, no joke, I was on 95 in the far right lane behind a guy going 58-59 mph.  Annoying yes, but I was in no rush and had no opportunity to pass.  I dealt with it.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2022, 06:30 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'm seeing more and more offroad vehicles using the roads. Yesterday on 103rd, a guy on a dirt bike was casually splitting lanes to the intersection where he met another guy on a quad before they both sped off down a busy side street. I've seen clusters of them at gas stations that arrived and left using the roads without a care in the world. Apparently, cops don't enforce those rules anymore.

Edit: The next day this is in the news. These bikes have no headlight so that makes them doubly difficult to see.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2022...olice-say/

There's an elementary school in my neighborhood. Parents line up in their cars to pick up their kids 45 minutes before school lets out. There will be 1000 foot long line of cars down the street 45 minutes before school lets out. What's up with that?

(04-25-2022, 12:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: There's an elementary school in my neighborhood.  Parents line up in their cars to pick up their kids 45 minutes before school lets out.  There will be 1000 foot long line of cars down the street 45 minutes before school lets out.  What's up with that?

Because they don't want to be in the back of the 1000 ft. line?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(04-25-2022, 12:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: There's an elementary school in my neighborhood.  Parents line up in their cars to pick up their kids 45 minutes before school lets out.  There will be 1000 foot long line of cars down the street 45 minutes before school lets out.  What's up with that?

My wife was doing that, and sitting in the hot car idling while the AC struggled to offset the AC. Then she realized (like this guy) that she could just wait 15 mins after school lets out and basically drive right to the door with no wait and bonus of having an hour more free time around the house.

(Caveat: This only works if the rest of the parents stick to the idling in line strategy)

I will say all our kids are in one school, so pickup isn't a logistical nightmare. If you have a kid in middle and a kid in elementary the dismissal times are fairly close and you want stop 1 to be done ASAP so you can haul down the road and get in line for the other.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2022, 07:00 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-25-2022, 05:08 PM)Mikey Wrote:

My wife was doing that, and sitting in the hot car idling while the AC struggled to offset the AC. Then she realized (like this guy) that she could just wait 15 mins after school lets out and basically drive right to the door with no wait and bonus of having an hour more free time around the house.

(Caveat: This only works if the rest of the parents stick to the idling in line strategy)

I will say all our kids are in one school, so pickup isn't a logistical nightmare. If you have a kid in middle and a kid in elementary the dismissal times are fairly close and you want stop 1 to be done ASAP so you can haul down the road and get in line for the other.
If it doesn’t work out to where you can pick up both in separate schools, sounds like a great time to pick a favorite.  “Say, kids… which one wants to get picked up my mommy while the other  rides the (shudder) dirty germ infested school bus?!”  If you say it with a smile, you might be able to get away with it for about a year or so before they catch on and hate you.  Unless you have older kids.  May not work with older kids too well.