Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

Spam texts. I finally got one that seemed legit. A dude that found me via “xxxxxx” and needs landscaping and lawn maintenance. I reply asking about the landscaping and what the address was. I get a freaking book sayin my this dude is an art dealer and will pay 1350 per week for 3 days a week and asking if that it fair enough. In his book he references his financial guy will get in touch to pay me and he needs my name address and such something about FedEx and giving me keys to his house. Wtaf?

I replied and said our min rate was 3500 a week and we need his SS number, mothers maiden name address and all that jive to see if he is pre approved and qualified for for services. Get the [BLEEP] outta here. Do people actually fall for this [BLEEP]??

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

My grandson's graduation ceremony with cap and gown...from preschool. Good gravy. They'll sell you a picture of him in cap and gown too. $45.

"Big Reveals"

Whether it's a moment in some crappy scripted reality TV show or one these stupid gender reveal stunts, can we please be over this dog and post show now? It's such a lame bit.

NOT trivial.

So I go to cancel my cat's wellness plan that is associated with his vet and you can't actually cancel it. You either pay the installments you have left on the contract and choose not to renew or you pay what that dollar amount is all at once.

[BLEEP]?! My cat is dead you stupid jackholes. Why, pray tell, would I need to pay for something I don't need anymore? To say I'm livid is an understatement.

(05-23-2022, 05:01 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: NOT trivial.

So I go to cancel my cat's wellness plan that is associated with his vet and you can't actually cancel it. You either pay the installments you have left on the contract and choose not to renew or you pay what that dollar amount is all at once.

[BLEEP]?! My cat is dead you stupid jackholes. Why, pray tell, would I need to pay for something I don't need anymore? To say I'm livid is an understatement.

My wife experienced this with her dog many years ago.

I’m sorry you have to put up with that.  Sure doesn’t make matters better.  

I know it doesn’t make you feel better, but before I saw this, I was going to post about about a somewhat similar contract dispute.  how my phone broke and I had to pay a couple hundred to pay it off, before they gave me 800 for my broken phone to get a new phone and want a 3 year agreement with said new phone.  I’ll commit long term to my wife, a vehicle, my house, but a stupid phone?  Why do we commit to something like that? But I was gonna add some terrible comedy into it.  

Certainly don’t mean to make light of your situation.  That is BS.  I’d pull out the paperwork, read the fine print.  Surly, they have verbiage detailing this exact situation. Pull up what you can.  I’d fight it tooth and nail.  Certainly won’t be the first time they’ve had this situation.  Just out of curiosity, you don’t have to share, how much is the balance?

I don't know off the top of my head. A few hundred dollars I think. I'll look at the paperwork for sure.

delete your card, refuse charges, whatever it takes and force them to pursue you if they want funds so badly.

Or, if they force you to pay for the services, be sure to schedule appointments throughout the duration of the contract. Be sure to show up a few minutes late to each appt, but do show up. If you paid for meds (our plan included flea prevention), get every last dose to which you are entitled and donate it to a local shelter.

Remind them that a dissatisfied customer is the worst advertising they could hope for. And when dealing with corporate, you have to be a bigger butthole than they are to get your will.

I am so sorry you're having to deal with this mess, we fired a vet over similar garbage years ago.

Did you sign a contract of any sort?  If so, what did it say about this situation?

(05-24-2022, 08:43 AM)Mikey Wrote:

delete your card, refuse charges, whatever it takes and force them to pursue you if they want funds so badly.

Or, if they force you to pay for the services, be sure to schedule appointments throughout the duration of the contract. Be sure to show up a few minutes late to each appt, but do show up. If you paid for meds (our plan included flea prevention), get every last dose to which you are entitled and donate it to a local shelter.

Remind them that a dissatisfied customer is the worst advertising they could hope for. And when dealing with corporate, you have to be a bigger butthole than they are to get your will.

I am so sorry you're having to deal with this mess, we fired a vet over similar garbage years ago.

I agree.  The worst they can do is send bill collectors after you, which could affect your credit.  But a single dispute of only a few hundred won't affect your credit score much.
And as long as you're not going to refinance your house, move, or get a new car loan, in the next few years, the only thing your credit score might affect is your car insurance rates.  Again, the effect should be small.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(05-24-2022, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 08:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: delete your card, refuse charges, whatever it takes and force them to pursue you if they want funds so badly.

I agree.  The worst they can do is send bill collectors after you, which could affect your credit.  But a single dispute of only a few hundred won't affect your credit score much.
And as long as you're not going to refinance your house, move, or get a new car loan, in the next few years, the only thing your credit score might affect is your car insurance rates.  Again, the effect should be small.

I wouldn't advise anyone to not pay a legitimate bill.  And I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to put a stain on their credit rating over a couple of hundred bucks.  The question is, what does the contract say.

(05-24-2022, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 08:43 AM)Mikey Wrote: delete your card, refuse charges, whatever it takes and force them to pursue you if they want funds so badly.

My point was more "make it hard on them to get their funds" than "end up in collections"

I'll honor my debts, but if you are engaging in bad business, I am gonna be your worst advertising.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 06:09 PM by mikesez. Edited 3 times in total.)

(05-24-2022, 03:37 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: I agree.  The worst they can do is send bill collectors after you, which could affect your credit.  But a single dispute of only a few hundred won't affect your credit score much.

I wouldn't advise anyone to not pay a legitimate bill.  And I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to put a stain on their credit rating over a couple of hundred bucks.  The question is, what does the contract say.

Oh I agree but there are flunkies galore out there trying to enforce these contracts.  
Don't let them just send you a bill.  Make sure the bill matches the contract.
I had a dispute with my old landlord (a multi-city apartment corporation) about how much would be owed after moving out.  I checked every day on their website if my old unit was still offered for lease.  The day someone claimed it, the clock stopped ticking.  At the end of that month, I sent a payment for the prorated amount of that month's rent.  I sent an e-mail as well explaining the terms of the lease and what I had done.  They had one smart guy there and two numbskulls.  The smart guy called and emailed and said, "actually, the move in date for the new resident was some days after they claimed the unit, so you owe about $100 more". I said, "sounds fair, mail me a bill, I'll pay it."  He had numbskull 1 send the bill.  But the bill was for the full month.  I called and got numbskull 2.  Numbskull 2 said he would fix it and mail a corrected bill.  A few days later, a bill comes in for the full remainder of the original lease, almost $10k.  I call again and say "This is how much your colleague said I actually owe per the contract.  Send a bill in writing for that amount and I will pay it."  They sent more erroneous bills and then sent me to collections.  Each time a new collector called, I told them what happened and that collector never called again.  
Now, at this point in my life, we had already signed our mortgage and been in our house for a year.  Our cars had just been paid off.  So I was fine giving double middle fingers to these bill collectors.  And don't get me wrong. I was courteous about it. As courteous as you can be when trying to settle an alleged ~ $10k debt with an offer of ~ $100.
But if there was any chance I was going to need to take out a loan in the next few years, I might have behaved differently.  
It's just one of the many ways that being poor is expensive, the rich get richer, and life's not fair.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Mikey is onto something. I once had issues canceling a gym membership. They wanted me to pay my head, rub my tummy, e-mail this address 60 days out while not wearing white after Labor Day [BLEEP]. I just called my bank. End of those transactions. They never came after me once I did that. And I agree with paying the debt….as long as it’s warranted. In your case and the gym case, there should be no reason to pay for pet insurance for a deceased animal. Would you pay health insurance for your dead grandmother or parents? Welp, me either. Fight that tooth and nail. Turn it on them. If they offered better care fluffy would still be here because you didn’t cover “xxx”. Doesn’t matter. Fight it.

Thanks guys. I think I got my answer and it makes sense.

(05-24-2022, 06:23 PM)Jags Wrote: Mikey is onto something.  I once had issues canceling a gym membership.  They wanted me to pay my head, rub my tummy, e-mail this address 60 days out while not wearing white after Labor Day [BLEEP].  I just called my bank. End of those transactions.  They never came after me once I did that.  And I agree with paying the debt….as long as it’s warranted.  In your case and the gym case, there should be no reason to pay for pet insurance for a deceased animal.  Would you pay health insurance for your dead grandmother or parents?  Welp, me either.  Fight that tooth and nail.  Turn it on them.  If they offered better care fluffy would still be here because you didn’t cover “xxx”. Doesn’t matter.  Fight it.

There could very well be a reason she owes it even after the pet is dead, and that is, if she was basically financing a payment that would normally be paid in advance.   In other words, if you had the option of paying all at once, or stretching the payments out over time with a finance charge.  For example, if you finance a car, and then wreck it, you still owe the payments.  

That's just a hypothetical, and I have no idea what her contract said, but I'm just trying to illustrate why it is possible to still owe the money.

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2022, 06:12 AM by captivating. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-25-2022, 06:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 06:23 PM)Jags Wrote: Mikey is onto something.  I once had issues canceling a gym membership.  They wanted me to pay my head, rub my tummy, e-mail this address 60 days out while not wearing white after Labor Day [BLEEP].  I just called my bank. End of those transactions.  They never came after me once I did that.  And I agree with paying the debt….as long as it’s warranted.  In your case and the gym case, there should be no reason to pay for pet insurance for a deceased animal.  Would you pay health insurance for your dead grandmother or parents?  Welp, me either.  Fight that tooth and nail.  Turn it on them.  If they offered better care fluffy would still be here because you didn’t cover “xxx”. Doesn’t matter.  Fight it.

There could very well be a reason she owes it even after the pet is dead, and that is, if she was basically financing a payment that would normally be paid in advance.   In other words, if you had the option of paying all at once, or stretching the payments out over time with a finance charge.  For example, if you finance a car, and then wreck it, you still owe the payments.  

That's just a hypothetical, and I have no idea what her contract said, but I'm just trying to illustrate why it is possible to still owe the money.

That was my thinking too. A wellness plan might be an annual contract with the "convenience" of monthly payments but you lock yourself into a 1 year contract.

Potentially messing up your credit score for a couple of hundred is stupid advice.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

Lowe's has reduced the things military gets a discount on. We went to go buy a refrigerator and found out my discount no longer applies to appliances and a list of other items. Jackholes. I told the guy who helped us I wouldn't have bought the damn fridge there had I known that. Of course I say that but we actually need a fridge because ours will die literally at any moment and we live in an area that is already limited in options and with supply chain issues it's even worse. 

With all of the new construction going up here I wonder if they're including appliances that may or may not be available by the time the house is ready to be sold. There are folks who bought appliances in February who are still waiting on them now. So I guess I'm glad we have an estimated delivery date of 3 June instead of October. Our current fridge won't last that long. 

Lowe's still sucks.

(05-26-2022, 04:40 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Lowe's has reduced the things military gets a discount on. We went to go buy a refrigerator and found out my discount no longer applies to appliances and a list of other items. Jackholes. I told the guy who helped us I wouldn't have bought the damn fridge there had I known that. Of course I say that but we actually need a fridge because ours will die literally at any moment and we live in an area that is already limited in options and with supply chain issues it's even worse. 

With all of the new construction going up here I wonder if they're including appliances that may or may not be available by the time the house is ready to be sold. There are folks who bought appliances in February who are still waiting on them now. So I guess I'm glad we have an estimated delivery date of 3 June instead of October. Our current fridge won't last that long. 

Lowe's still sucks.

They always have sucked and nothing has changed. I use Conn's now for any appliances or other home goods I get; fantastic customer service and they actually seem like they give a damn when you do have to call them.

My dad is a Vet. He keeps reminding me of all the money he saved at Home Depot. If there is an HD in your area, go there. The times I’ve been with him at HD he has never had to show proof. But, to my knowledge, there aren’t any restrictions. That being said, if you buy a name brand item, I can see why it may not apply. Some things have their price from the manufacturer.