Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
January 6 Committee: Thousands of Interviews, Few New Facts

The Democrats are being allowed to paint a very clear picture of how they see things, because the Republicans opted out of the committee. Normally, the Republicans could muck things up with a lot of cross-examination and general arguing. There's literally no one on that committee to defend Trump. I know there were a couple of Republicans that were excluded by Pelosi, but McCarthy could have appointed any number of other Trump defenders. Maybe they're just tired of defending Trump.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-12-2022, 02:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Democrats are being allowed to paint a very clear picture of how they see things, because the Republicans opted out of the committee.  Normally, the Republicans could muck things up with a lot of cross-examination and general arguing.  There's literally no one on that committee to defend Trump.  I know there were a couple of Republicans that were excluded by Pelosi, but McCarthy could have appointed any number of other Trump defenders.  Maybe they're just tired of defending Trump.

B.S.  The Republicans selected to be on the committee were rejected because they probably would have exposed the real reason for this "kangaroo court".  The goal is nothing more than to prevent Donald Trump from running again.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(07-12-2022, 03:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 02:54 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The Democrats are being allowed to paint a very clear picture of how they see things, because the Republicans opted out of the committee.  Normally, the Republicans could muck things up with a lot of cross-examination and general arguing.  There's literally no one on that committee to defend Trump.  I know there were a couple of Republicans that were excluded by Pelosi, but McCarthy could have appointed any number of other Trump defenders.  Maybe they're just tired of defending Trump.

B.S.  The Republicans selected to be on the committee were rejected because they probably would have exposed the real reason for this "kangaroo court".  The goal is nothing more than to prevent Donald Trump from running again.

That's a worthy goal in my opinion.  

McCarthy selected 5 people to be on the committee, and 2 of them were rejected by Pelosi, so that leaves 3 that McCarthy originally selected who could have been on the committee.  And then he could have selected 2 more.  But then he decided to boycott the committee, and left the Democrats in charge of the whole show.

(07-12-2022, 03:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

No, the goal was to make sure that no crazy President in the future considers doing what Trump did to overturn the legitimate results. This committee hearing will likely keep Trump from running again, even if Merrick Garland decides to not prosecute him. As things stand now, the only way a Democrat is elected President in 2024 is if their opponent is Trump. Trump may not be the smartest man, but the fear of losing again due to all of his baggage will necessitate him to find a way to step down and support another candidate of his liking. I would have to thing that most Republicans would be thrilled for this to occur.

(07-12-2022, 04:23 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 03:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: B.S.  The Republicans selected to be on the committee were rejected because they probably would have exposed the real reason for this "kangaroo court".  The goal is nothing more than to prevent Donald Trump from running again.

No, the goal was to make sure that no crazy President in the future considers doing what Trump did to overturn the legitimate results. This committee hearing will likely keep Trump from running again, even if Merrick Garland decides to not prosecute him. As things stand now, the only way a Democrat is elected President in 2024 is if their opponent is Trump. Trump may not be the smartest man, but the fear of losing again due to all of his baggage will necessitate him to find a way to step down and support another candidate of his liking. I would have to thing that most Republicans would be thrilled for this to occur.

I would be thrilled to vote for almost any Republican other than Trump.

(07-12-2022, 03:14 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 03:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: B.S.  The Republicans selected to be on the committee were rejected because they probably would have exposed the real reason for this "kangaroo court".  The goal is nothing more than to prevent Donald Trump from running again.

That's a worthy goal in my opinion.  

McCarthy selected 5 people to be on the committee, and 2 of them were rejected by Pelosi, so that leaves 3 that McCarthy originally selected who could have been on the committee.  And then he could have selected 2 more.  But then he decided to boycott the committee, and left the Democrats in charge of the whole show.

You know, this could have been a calculated move by McCarthy to make it easier for Republicans to select a 2024 candidate without the specter of Trump hanging over them. By allowing the dems free reign, perhaps he's hoping they can create enough scandal to wash their hands of Orangeman. 

Hmmm...

They are definitely creating Trump fatigue. I know plenty of Trump supporters and, anecdotally, all of them would rather have DeSantis. It's for the same reason, too: He doesn't come with baggage. We'll see what happens during primaries, I guess. The media will support him over Trump, then they will create baggage for DeSantis.

(07-12-2022, 10:22 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: They are definitely creating Trump fatigue. I know plenty of Trump supporters and, anecdotally, all of them would rather have DeSantis. It's for the same reason, too: He doesn't come with baggage. We'll see what happens during primaries, I guess. The media will support him over Trump, then they will create baggage for DeSantis.

You already know what they're going to hit DeSantis with.  All the stuff he did to become the darling of Fox News.  Especially the Disney thing, if he doesn't quietly wrap that up in some sort of agreeable fashion.

This is a time of proving for DeSantis.  Unfortunately  you have to be ruthless to rise from the crowd and become a contender for the top spot, at least when you're a Republican.  But each step up from there, from winning primaries to winning the nomination to running in the general election to being in the White House, each step calls for less and less ruthless and more and more conciliatory or inoffensive behavior.  Trump could never turn it off.  I believe DeSantis can.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I get the Trump fatigue but to allow this to happen unchallenged is lazy at the very least. No doubt it would be hard to defend the actions of Trump while trying to create some separation between him and the GOP, but their inaction will quite possibly set a precedent that we can't see yet but will be a problem for the party in the future. 

They're definitely looking out for their individual interests and not the truth, whatever it may be. Bunch of cowards.

Welcome to DC.

(07-13-2022, 10:52 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

I get the Trump fatigue but to allow this to happen unchallenged is lazy at the very least. No doubt it would be hard to defend the actions of Trump while trying to create some separation between him and the GOP, but their inaction will quite possibly set a precedent that we can't see yet but will be a problem for the party in the future. 

They're definitely looking out for their individual interests and not the truth, whatever it may be. Bunch of cowards.

Insightful post. +1

(07-13-2022, 10:52 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

I think McCarthy made the right decision.  The committee was either going to find compelling evidence, in which case you want your guys as far away from the story as they can be, or no new compelling evidence, in which case involvement would be a waste of your members' time.  Laziness is sometimes justified, some things just have to be allowed to play out.

Still a bunch of cowards.

Trump Won, period. Everyone knows it…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(07-13-2022, 11:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-13-2022, 10:52 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I get the Trump fatigue but to allow this to happen unchallenged is lazy at the very least. No doubt it would be hard to defend the actions of Trump while trying to create some separation between him and the GOP, but their inaction will quite possibly set a precedent that we can't see yet but will be a problem for the party in the future. 

Insightful post. +1

It happens on occasion. Lol.

(07-23-2022, 08:33 PM)Ronster Wrote: Trump Won, period. Everyone knows it…

Luckily it didn't happen yesterday, as yesterday is a hard word.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022, 06:59 AM by mikesez.)

Guy Reffitt of the 3 percenters has been convicted in federal court of charges including bringing a firearm into the Capitol.
Folks on this board have assured me many times that the mostly peaceful protestors of January 6th weren't armed.
Oops.

Congrats. You got one. Let's build a whole narrative around it.

(08-02-2022, 08:13 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Congrats. You got one. Let's build a whole narrative around it.

LOL.  His new narrative is an "armed" mob of insurrectionists.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022, 12:48 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-02-2022, 11:54 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-02-2022, 08:13 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Congrats. You got one. Let's build a whole narrative around it.

LOL.  His new narrative is an "armed" mob of insurrectionists.

I said all along some of them were armed. You haven't been paying attention to anything I say.  Most people don't comment on things they choose not to pay attention to.  You're pretty weird.