Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Trivial Annoyances Thread

(07-14-2022, 05:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Lately, I've had a lot of experience with contractors who don't show up. 

A couple of weeks ago, I had a guy who was going to do a project for me, and we were supposed to connect to finalize the plan, and so I called him, and he says, call me Monday and we'll finalize the plan.  So I called him that Monday, and he didn't answer the phone.  So I left him a voice message.  And he didn't call me back for 2 weeks.  Needless to say, I'm back to square one, finding a contractor for that project.  

Then yesterday, I had an appointment with a tree cutter to give me an estimate.  I've never met the guy, but he put his card in the door of my house, so I figured I'd give him a try.  We were supposed to meet on site at 9 AM.  At 8:30 I'm leaving the house so I text him.  "We still on for 9 AM?"  And he texts me back, "Oh, sorry, I had an emergency, a tree fell on a house and we're over here with a crane getting the tree off the house.  Can we meet at 3 this afternoon?"  So I say, okay, 3 this afternoon is okay.  So at 2:30 I text him, "We still on for 3?"  No answer.  I figure he's driving or something.  So I go to the site, and wait.  3 o'clock comes along, and he's not there.  I text him, "Text me when you get here."  He responds, "Oh, sorry, we're still getting this tree off this house."  So I text him back, "Forget the whole thing.  I wasted my time coming down here because you didn't tell me you weren't coming."  So he gets all huffy, "Well, I guess your little estimate is more important that saving someone's house!"  I respond, "Saving someone's house is obviously more important than my estimate, but I wasted a whole bunch of time because you didn't tell me you weren't coming.  You need to run your business better than that."  And so on and so forth. 

This is just two examples that I have encountered in the last month, but I have seen this type of behavior over and over.  What is with these contractors these days?

Too much work makes them entitled.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-14-2022, 05:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Lately, I've had a lot of experience with contractors who don't show up. 

A couple of weeks ago, I had a guy who was going to do a project for me, and we were supposed to connect to finalize the plan, and so I called him, and he says, call me Monday and we'll finalize the plan.  So I called him that Monday, and he didn't answer the phone.  So I left him a voice message.  And he didn't call me back for 2 weeks.  Needless to say, I'm back to square one, finding a contractor for that project.  

Then yesterday, I had an appointment with a tree cutter to give me an estimate.  I've never met the guy, but he put his card in the door of my house, so I figured I'd give him a try.  We were supposed to meet on site at 9 AM.  At 8:30 I'm leaving the house so I text him.  "We still on for 9 AM?"  And he texts me back, "Oh, sorry, I had an emergency, a tree fell on a house and we're over here with a crane getting the tree off the house.  Can we meet at 3 this afternoon?"  So I say, okay, 3 this afternoon is okay.  So at 2:30 I text him, "We still on for 3?"  No answer.  I figure he's driving or something.  So I go to the site, and wait.  3 o'clock comes along, and he's not there.  I text him, "Text me when you get here."  He responds, "Oh, sorry, we're still getting this tree off this house."  So I text him back, "Forget the whole thing.  I wasted my time coming down here because you didn't tell me you weren't coming."  So he gets all huffy, "Well, I guess your little estimate is more important that saving someone's house!"  I respond, "Saving someone's house is obviously more important than my estimate, but I wasted a whole bunch of time because you didn't tell me you weren't coming.  You need to run your business better than that."  And so on and so forth. 

This is just two examples that I have encountered in the last month, but I have seen this type of behavior over and over.  What is with these contractors these days?

I’ve been through similar situations.  And as a business owner, I’ve been in that situation.  I see both sides.  It’s crappy for the consumer.  I’m a man short but we’re able to do the work.  Sure, I’ve turned down work next door to clients.  On multiple occasions.  It sucks.  It really does.   We’re not in the business to say no.  But the demand is so high and we kinda pick and choose our clients.  If we get a red flag…we are cool enough to at least tell the prospect that we are short staffed and unable to take on any additional work at this time.  

At least where I am at, they have the money to spend, but the companies theyre contacting are either over booked or understaffed since no one wants to do a labor job.  As a consumer, I’ve had issues as well trying to get stuff done.  But I get it.  At least I don’t string people along.  That’s kinda BS.

I'll say your arborist is awful short-handed if they have sales team working on a removal.

I was president of an HOA in a forested neighborhood, so we had a VERY good relationship with one of the local services. If you are part of an HOA or know of some neighborhoods near you, I'd recommend reaching out to them to see if they recommend any firms. They would tend to know who does good, affordable work, who left the neighborhood a disaster when they were done, how punctual, etc.

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2022, 09:18 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-15-2022, 09:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:

I'll say your arborist is awful short-handed if they have sales team working on a removal.

I was president of an HOA in a forested neighborhood, so we had a VERY good relationship with one of the local services. If you are part of an HOA or know of some neighborhoods near you, I'd recommend reaching out to them to see if they recommend any firms. They would tend to know who does good, affordable work, who left the neighborhood a disaster when they were done, how punctual, etc.

I don't mind if he has something else more important.  It's the fact that he didn't bother to call me or text me and tell me he wasn't going to be there at the appointed time and place.  And then he got all snippy about me calling him out on it.  

Someone told me on time, we need a good hard recession so these contractors don't have so much work.

(07-15-2022, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-15-2022, 09:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: I'll say your arborist is awful short-handed if they have sales team working on a removal.

I don't mind if he has something else more important.  It's the fact that he didn't bother to call me or text me and tell me he wasn't going to be there at the appointed time and place.  And then he got all snippy about me calling him out on it.  

Someone told me on time, we need a good hard recession so these contractors don't have so much work.

Coupled with the fact the guy solicited your business tells me he’s good with a chainsaw but not much else. Sounds like he’s more suited working for someone else.

(07-15-2022, 09:16 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-15-2022, 09:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: I'll say your arborist is awful short-handed if they have sales team working on a removal.

Bam and ba bam.

Couldnt agree more, getting my palm trees trimmed has become an excesire in frustration now.  The price has doubled and now they act like they are doing me a favor.   PULEEZE.

Bring on the recession imo.

Oh and they cant show up at the agreed upon time also.

Forbes has a list of the 16 markets that are about to crash correct. Florida owns half of them. All of them share the same characteristic of high investor purchases the last 10 years and they are about to divest and create a supply glut. Selling at the top is already over as the downward price pressure is already here.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-16-2022, 07:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Forbes has a list of the 16 markets that are about to crash correct. Florida owns half of them. All of them share the same characteristic of high investor purchases the last 10 years and they are about to divest and create a supply glut. Selling at the top is already over as the downward price pressure is already here.

No link?

(07-16-2022, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 07:55 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Forbes has a list of the 16 markets that are about to crash correct. Florida owns half of them. All of them share the same characteristic of high investor purchases the last 10 years and they are about to divest and create a supply glut. Selling at the top is already over as the downward price pressure is already here.

No link?

Sorry, was Fortune not Forbes and it's behind their paywall now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com...pared/amp/

I remember many years ago when the wife and I had little to no money and she’d buy off brand cotton swabs. Even then, I’d tell her to buy “Q-Tip”. So now that every company is giving less for the same, I’ve noticed my beloved Q-Tip brand cotton swab is starting to feel like I’m cleaning my ears with a pencil.

People who don't feel the need to use turn signals when they're driving. Really idiotic and dangerous behavior. Seems like people these days only care about themselves.

(07-20-2022, 08:27 PM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: People who don't feel the need to use turn signals when they're driving. Really idiotic and dangerous behavior. Seems like people these days only care about themselves.

Worse, the ones who wait until the very moment they are turning to brake, signal, then begin their turn. Never fails, I'm waiting to enter the roadway, but opt not to be the jerk and cut off the oncoming vehicle, but oh hey, they're slowing, signal, and yes, I give them a "what the fart, you cretin?!?!?" gesture as they turn into the entrance.

When the tables turn, I make sure to signal early to communicate that I'm going to be slowing, turning, and you should be able to enter traffic without issue.

Since Marty gave me the idea to set my phone to ring for contacts only, my life has been so much more peaceful. Especially yesterday. The scammers were wearing out my number.

(07-28-2022, 11:35 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Since Marty gave me the idea to set my phone to ring for contacts only, my life has been so much more peaceful. Especially yesterday. The scammers were wearing out my number.

I thought about doing this, except the bleeping life alert company my dad has never calls from the same number! Angry
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(07-28-2022, 01:40 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 11:35 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Since Marty gave me the idea to set my phone to ring for contacts only, my life has been so much more peaceful. Especially yesterday. The scammers were wearing out my number.

I thought about doing this, except the bleeping life alert company my dad has never calls from the same number! Angry

That seems a little odd. Is there a set of numbers they use or is it completely random?

(07-28-2022, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 01:40 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I thought about doing this, except the bleeping life alert company my dad has never calls from the same number! Angry

That seems a little odd. Is there a set of numbers they use or is it completely random?

I’m not sure, maybe I should give each call a contact name and see if I start getting any repeats.

(07-28-2022, 02:03 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: That seems a little odd. Is there a set of numbers they use or is it completely random?

I’m not sure, maybe I should give each call a contact name and see if I start getting any repeats.

Good idea. 

Btw, how many calls do you get from life alert?? That doesn’t sound good.

(07-28-2022, 02:12 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 02:03 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: I’m not sure, maybe I should give each call a contact name and see if I start getting any repeats.

Good idea. 

Btw, how many calls do you get from life alert?? That doesn’t sound good.

Dad is 82, on his 24th stent, has a pacemaker, had a quad bypass, a couple TIA’s and a partridge in a pear tree. They call me quite often…

I have the oven ready to cook some dinner. Apparently it’s a Culver’s night. Wife texts me what I want. Having not been there much I inquire about the options and conclude old like a chicken sandwich. Tells me she got me a burger. Why the [BLEEP] did you even ask? You’ve got a frigging masters. Apparently not in communication.

(07-28-2022, 07:32 PM)Jags Wrote: I have the oven ready to cook some dinner.  Apparently it’s a Culver’s night.  Wife texts me what I want.  Having not been there much I inquire about the options and conclude old like a chicken sandwich.  Tells me she got me a burger.  Why the [BLEEP] did you even ask?  You’ve got a frigging masters.  Apparently not in communication.

What did she get for herself?  If it's a chicken sandwich, you know what to do.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.