Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
COVID-19

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2022, 07:44 PM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/08/22...n-vaccines

Gotta love that headline. Leaves out an important piece... except for men under 40.

Quote:Among men under 40, there were an estimated four extra cases of myocarditis associated with the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and 14 extra cases with the first dose of the Moderna vaccine for every 1 million men vaccinated. That risk rose with the second dose for all three vaccines studied and was highest for Moderna's, which had an additional 97 myocarditis cases per 1 million. For unvaccinated men under 40 with COVID-19, there were 16 additional myocarditis cases per million.

Look how manipulative they are with this data, lol. What a joke.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-29-2022, 07:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/08/22...n-vaccines

Gotta love that headline. Leaves out an important piece... except for men under 40.

Quote:Among men under 40, there were an estimated four extra cases of myocarditis associated with the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine and 14 extra cases with the first dose of the Moderna vaccine for every 1 million men vaccinated. That risk rose with the second dose for all three vaccines studied and was highest for Moderna's, which had an additional 97 myocarditis cases per 1 million. For unvaccinated men under 40 with COVID-19, there were 16 additional myocarditis cases per million.

I don't know what your problem is here.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

What do you think is the problem? You seriously don't see a problem with that?

(08-23-2022, 08:39 AM)Ronster Wrote: https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/156...PbA5WYA-ew

This reminds me a little of that interpretive dance thing that the Chicago Teachers Union busted out with a couple of years ago. Also stupid and pointless.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-29-2022, 07:59 PM)captivating Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 07:40 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/08/22...n-vaccines

I don't know what your problem is here.

Fine. Since you can't make any effort...

You're not considered vaccinated unless you take two doses, right? It's not like everyone just went out and got one dose. They list the first dose rates, which seem lower than the unvaccinated, but don't include the second doses. How does that not seem manipulative to you? For some reason, it only mentions the second dose from Moderna and seemingly just ignores the fact that it's 6X worse than just catching Covid. Males under 40 make up 25% of the population. That means that 85 million people were put at higher risk of myocarditis because of sloppy science on the part of vaccine manufacturers. Instead of making that well known, this article chooses to run with a headline that seems like it's a universal fact that Covid poses higher risk for myocarditis than the vaccines, which is NOT TRUE for 25% of the population. 

FSG and I argued about this months ago, and his fallback position was that the vaccine was safer than Covid, even though I was pointing out that all data available suggests otherwise for young men. He should be furious that he's been wrong about so much of this. The CDC has been utterly abysmal on this subject. The medical community should be up in arms, but 90% of them probably didn't have time enough to read through the data. They are probably still recommending boosters and double vaccinations for men under 40. That's asinine.

Quick update

It's heading the same way as when I had the flu earlier this winter

Heavy blocked nose/ blowing out a lot of thick mucus and the cough is slightly worse but I expect it to blow over in the next 1-2 days

(08-30-2022, 08:51 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Quick update

It's heading the same way as when I had the flu earlier this winter

Heavy blocked nose/ blowing out a lot of thick mucus and the cough is slightly worse but I expect it to blow over in the next 1-2 days

Good to hear, hang in!
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-30-2022, 12:09 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(08-23-2022, 08:39 AM)Ronster Wrote: https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/156...PbA5WYA-ew

This reminds me a little of that interpretive dance thing that the Chicago Teachers Union busted out with a couple of years ago.  Also stupid and pointless.

That was just ridiculous. It should have come with a warning. Lol

(08-30-2022, 07:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 07:59 PM)captivating Wrote: I don't know what your problem is here.

Fine. Since you can't make any effort...

You're not considered vaccinated unless you take two doses, right? It's not like everyone just went out and got one dose. They list the first dose rates, which seem lower than the unvaccinated, but don't include the second doses. How does that not seem manipulative to you? For some reason, it only mentions the second dose from Moderna and seemingly just ignores the fact that it's 6X worse than just catching Covid. Males under 40 make up 25% of the population. That means that 85 million people were put at higher risk of myocarditis because of sloppy science on the part of vaccine manufacturers. Instead of making that well known, this article chooses to run with a headline that seems like it's a universal fact that Covid poses higher risk for myocarditis than the vaccines, which is NOT TRUE for 25% of the population. 

FSG and I argued about this months ago, and his fallback position was that the vaccine was safer than Covid, even though I was pointing out that all data available suggests otherwise for young men. He should be furious that he's been wrong about so much of this. The CDC has been utterly abysmal on this subject. The medical community should be up in arms, but 90% of them probably didn't have time enough to read through the data. They are probably still recommending boosters and double vaccinations for men under 40. That's asinine.

So you want a headline to list every conceivable permutation.  Okay, sounds good to me.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

Lol. Your expectations are [BLEEP]. It's exactly this kind of lazy and disconnected response that is contributing to the decline of our standards.

You should have higher standards, bro. Geez. It's not rocket science to make that headline less misleading.

The article covers off on first, second and third dose. Given the research covers people aged 13 and above, we're talking a 56 million males aged between 13 and 40, that's 21% of people in scope.

So for 79% of the population above 13, the virus is more likely to cause myocarditis.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 08:40 AM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

You did all that for a 4% adjustment? One that doesn't even improve accuracy? They are recommending this booster for 6-month-old kids. I think it's safe to include that other 4%, but you're right... we don't "know." Lol.

How about you think of a more appropriate title? One that isn't misleading.

For the purposes of most statistics at this point 2 doses is Fully Vaccinated, boosted is listed as Up To Date, and one dose is Partially Vaccinated, and a great number of people fall into that category. Maybe that will help, maybe not.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 09:36 AM by Lucky2Last. Edited 1 time in total.)

If 2 doses is the requirement to be fully vaccinated, that is the goal, and that is the data that we should use when evaluating against Covid. That is how we assess risk of vaccination vs natural immunity. Even at 97 per 1,000,000 people, it's still really, really rare, so it's not like I think people are dropping dead left and right from the vaccine. 97 per one million will result in an extra 5000 cases of myocarditis in the US population of men under 50, assuming everyone got vaccinated. HOWEVER, it's quite a bit high for using traditional standards for a vaccine and it's equally rare to have a death in that subgroup from Covid or the vaccine.

I'm certain that they haven't changed policy based on this data. 6x higher risk of myocarditis for men is a big deal when it comes to a decision as to whether or not to get vaccinated. Would young men have made the same decision if all the data was available to them? We don't even know if people can recover from it or if it will worsen over time.

It was looking pretty obvious last year that it was not an ideal choice for men under 25. Now that number is up to 40? And they haven't even really looked at kids under 18 yet? I have a strong suspicion we will be seeing the same problem here among males and females under 18. There is so much we don't know, and I still contest we should not have rolled out this vaccine for people under 55 and without priors, but I digress.

I am simply objecting to how data is manipulated. "COVID-19 infection poses higher risk for myocarditis than vaccines," is not an accurate title, and suggest that it's a universal constant when it is clearly not. If 2 doses is considered the appropriate dose to be vaccinated, their numbers need to reflect that first, then they can take it down to individual doses. I just get tired of haphazard science that is almost certainly being driven by profit. We need to develop a principled standard around the disease AND the vaccine to get some consistency with our data. MOST people are woefully underinformed about what's going on with this disease.

The medical community REALLY needs to take a stand against this type of misinformation. There are still WAY too many experts who are reacting based on emotion and not reason.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 12:21 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 8 times in total.)

(08-31-2022, 09:32 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: If 2 doses is the requirement to be fully vaccinated, that is the goal, and that is the data that we should use when evaluating against Covid. That is how we assess risk of vaccination vs natural immunity. Even at 97 per 1,000,000 people, it's still really, really rare, so it's not like I think people are dropping dead left and right from the vaccine. 97 per one million will result in an extra 5000 cases of myocarditis in the US population of men under 50, assuming everyone got vaccinated. HOWEVER, it's quite a bit high for using traditional standards for a vaccine and it's equally rare to have a death in that subgroup from Covid or the vaccine.

I'm certain that they haven't changed policy based on this data. 6x higher risk of myocarditis for men is a big deal when it comes to a decision as to whether or not to get vaccinated. Would young men have made the same decision if all the data was available to them? We don't even know if people can recover from it or if it will worsen over time.

It was looking pretty obvious last year that it was not an ideal choice for men under 25. Now that number is up to 40? And they haven't even really looked at kids under 18 yet? I have a strong suspicion we will be seeing the same problem here among males and females under 18. There is so much we don't know, and I still contest we should not have rolled out this vaccine for people under 55 and without priors, but I digress.

I am simply objecting to how data is manipulated. "COVID-19 infection poses higher risk for myocarditis than vaccines," is not an accurate title, and suggest that it's a universal constant when it is clearly not. If 2 doses is considered the appropriate dose to be vaccinated, their numbers need to reflect that first, then they can take it down to individual doses. I just get tired of haphazard science that is almost certainly being driven by profit. We need to develop a principled standard around the disease AND the vaccine to get some consistency with our data. MOST people are woefully underinformed about what's going on with this disease.

The medical community REALLY needs to take a stand against this type of misinformation. There are still WAY too many experts who are reacting based on emotion and not reason.

Unfortunately, you are like a voice crying in the wilderness. And there probably aren't many locusts left.

FDA authorizes updated COVID-19 booster shots targeting omicron variant
Updated FDA guidance applies to Modern, Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced Wednesday that it has authorized updated coronavirus booster shots targeting the highly-contagious omicron variant.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/fda-autho...on-variant
[Image: review.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 12:23 PM by KingIngram052787. Edited 1 time in total.)

FDA authorizes Pfizer's and Moderna's updated Covid booster shots for newest variant - https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/f...2b6b24a613

Edit: I see Drifter barely beat me to it!

Just as a Covid-related sports aside: the US Open is prohibiting Novak Djokovic from playing in the US Open because he is unvaccinated. While the USA can certainly make up its own rules about allowing entry of the unvaccinated into this county, this has nothing to do with 'science' when unvaccinated American players are allowed to participate. The spectators don't even have to be vaccinated or wear masks. Are the unvaccinated from outside countries more of a danger than the unvaccinated in America? Are all of the illegals crossing the southern border getting vaccinated on the spot? No, but they're getting free medical care and cell phones. He should have flown into Tijuana and then crossed the border in a truck with the rest of the illegals. Even Australia is now admitting the unvaccinated with a visa. Djokovic was allowed to play in the US Open last year when the CDC’s position was that vaccinations helped prevent the virus from spreading. The CDC now says vaccines don’t prevent transmission, yet he's now banned? The rule is stupid, but it's the rule, and Djokovic has to abide by it; he shouldn't play. However, on the world stage, we now look even more like idiots.

Gotta toe the line, man.

(08-31-2022, 08:38 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: You did all that for a 4% adjustment? One that doesn't even improve accuracy? They are recommending this booster for 6-month-old kids. I think it's safe to include that other 4%, but you're right... we don't "know." Lol.

How about you think of a more appropriate title? One that isn't misleading.

Lol. I'm not the one whinging about a misleading title when it isn't.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1