Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Zay Jones. The man, the myth, the legend?

(08-17-2022, 06:20 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 12:09 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: There was not a high demand for McCardell or Smith before they got here.

I don't think you have the right definition for the word "bust."  Most people use that word to mean a high draft pick who plays much worse than expected.  A 12th round pick cannot be a bust.

It took me a second, but I am following your logic now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-18-2022, 08:48 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/NickElenis/status/15...1OHVJYrRKA

Haha. That's awesome.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

That’s a sweet bronze bust.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...first-camp

Looks like Zay is being recognized by even Shipley and SI as our most promising receiver. Let’s see how it translates to the real games, but very promising.

Nice write up by Shipley.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

"The most interesting wide receiver in the world"

[Image: iwbqxq0evq8i5kfjohv4.jpg]

(08-20-2022, 07:40 AM)Newton Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...first-camp

Looks like Zay is being recognized by even Shipley and SI as our most promising receiver. Let’s see how it translates to the real games, but very promising.

Wait so Zay is the Jags pass catcher I should be targeting in fantasy drafts?

Zay, Kirk, and MJJ all got a TD today. Spread the wealth

Zay hit both the LT and Merriman celebrations  Laughing
https://twitter.com/shawnemerriman/statu...9275630593

Shows some quick feet which is important with all these quick passes/WR screens.  Good hands never hurts also.  People will put a negative spin on anything Jaguars related.  The real talking is done on the field,  and from what I'm seeing the "overpaid" veterans are playing very well with the young talent that is here.  Again,  good coaching.

Zay Jones really demonstrated what he brings to the table yesterday. Smooth route running, sticky hands, and good short yardage run after the catch ability. With the way Doug and Press spread the ball around, having 3 veteran receivers at the right spot really is paying off. It speaks volume that all of our top three receivers caught a TD pass yesterday.

(04-09-2022, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I still think we're over analyzing the WR position, now, granted, last year's group was pure dog [BLEEP] at times.

However, I still think this offense is TE centric in the passing game. I expect a lot of routes over the middle with the RPO. A lot of safety valve and dump off's to the RB's, etc.

The WR's in Pederson's system historically seem to be showcased as if he's playing a game of pool. And what I mean by that is it seems like Pederson specifically uses the running game, the TE position and RB position in the passing game with the intention of getting the offense within that 30 - 40 yard range from the redzone to start taking a shot with the WR position. "Call your pocket" so to speak. It's like, I hit the 5, 6 & 7 in a row (Run, TE catch, RB catch). Now, watch me crack this 8 from left to right (Deep shot to WR). He did it routinely in Philadelphia. I don't expect that to change.

Between Kirk, Jones & Jones and Shenault they might get a good group of production out of them overall. I just expect one of them to be a focal point each week with none of them truly separating themselves from the pack and being relied upon over and over again on a weekly basis. I know people don't want to hear that because of Kirk's contract. But, again, I can only go by what I have seen on film and on the stat sheet.

And, again. Historically? Pederson might as well be dressed up like the Nesquik Bunny because he's clearly big on sharing the wealth.

Wanted to revisit this statement of mine in bold in particular. It's been true so far in just three games. 

Kirk - 27 targets
Zay Jones - 24 targets
Marvin Jones - 18 targets
Engram - 15 targets
Etienne - 10 targets
Robinson - 7 targets
Agnew - 3 targets
Arnold - 1 targets

The biggest stat that jumps out to me on here is Engram with 15 targets and Arnold with just 1 target. In an offensive system that historically under Pederson you would tend to see higher volume at that position for the TE group. It's on the verge I think of coming up here soon in this offense. Pederson is playing this [BLEEP] very well and smart this year and not giving his opponents easy opportunities or looks to scheme against. 

Fun to watch so far. Shows how well versed Pederson is and how easy he's able to adjust with his personnel.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-10-2022, 11:33 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Every Jones target from last year here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbXc-MfqyZo

I'm encouraged watching this cut-up.
He gets good separation on 95% of his targeted routes here. Whether playing vs man or zone.
Accurate route runner that gets in and out of breaks cleanly and anticipates the football at the right moments consistently.
Great hands. Fast enough to get open deep. Lined up at all 3 receiving positions at some point and got open from them all.
I can see why raiders fans think he was underutilized and sometimes squandered by QB limitations. His upside seems to be well above that 546 yards and 1 TD mark from last year.

One of the biggest takeaways from that reel is how many horrible passes Carr threw his way.
Oof. Some pretty ugly stuff in there.

(07-31-2022, 11:27 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1553...3QhsX78XvQ

Apologies for repeating myself here, but I think this ^ type of thing is going to be a regular occurrence this season with Zay and Christian. Their former offenses utilized them this way with good results, and they are both adept at identifying and "sitting down" in the soft spots of zone coverage. When opponents show zone vs our offense, I expect (hope) these types of plays will be on speed-dial between Press Taylor and Lawrence.
It's an easy way to pick up good chunks of yardage if your OC, QB and receivers are prepped to take advantage of it when it's presented.

I'm guilty of finding positive upside for nearly every Jaguars acquisition. 

Zay Jones certainly caught my eye when we picked him up. 

Happy to say I was high on the addition and he's playing even better than I had anticipated. 
Hope this ankle thing isn't serious.

(09-28-2022, 12:57 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I still think we're over analyzing the WR position, now, granted, last year's group was pure dog [BLEEP] at times.

However, I still think this offense is TE centric in the passing game. I expect a lot of routes over the middle with the RPO. A lot of safety valve and dump off's to the RB's, etc.

The WR's in Pederson's system historically seem to be showcased as if he's playing a game of pool. And what I mean by that is it seems like Pederson specifically uses the running game, the TE position and RB position in the passing game with the intention of getting the offense within that 30 - 40 yard range from the redzone to start taking a shot with the WR position. "Call your pocket" so to speak. It's like, I hit the 5, 6 & 7 in a row (Run, TE catch, RB catch). Now, watch me crack this 8 from left to right (Deep shot to WR). He did it routinely in Philadelphia. I don't expect that to change.

Between Kirk, Jones & Jones and Shenault they might get a good group of production out of them overall. I just expect one of them to be a focal point each week with none of them truly separating themselves from the pack and being relied upon over and over again on a weekly basis. I know people don't want to hear that because of Kirk's contract. But, again, I can only go by what I have seen on film and on the stat sheet.

And, again. Historically? Pederson might as well be dressed up like the Nesquik Bunny because he's clearly big on sharing the wealth.

Wanted to revisit this statement of mine in bold in particular. It's been true so far in just three games. 

Kirk - 27 targets
Zay Jones - 24 targets
Marvin Jones - 18 targets
Engram - 15 targets
Etienne - 10 targets
Robinson - 7 targets
Agnew - 3 targets
Arnold - 1 targets

The biggest stat that jumps out to me on here is Engram with 15 targets and Arnold with just 1 target. In an offensive system that historically under Pederson you would tend to see higher volume at that position for the TE group. It's on the verge I think of coming up here soon in this offense. Pederson is playing this [BLEEP] very well and smart this year and not giving his opponents easy opportunities or looks to scheme against. 

Fun to watch so far. Shows how well versed Pederson is and how easy he's able to adjust with his personnel.

I expected TE to be accentuated more here too, but maybe Pederson is all about the personnel he has at his disposal? 

I saw a video by some fella (former NFL backup QB for a minute or two) breaking down some of the plays that the Jags were running, and on more than one occasion he said a play was typically designed to go to Tight Ends, but Pederson had it going to the faster Kirk instead.  Guess he likes scheming for Kirk better than for Engram.  Really, it looks like the team is doing a good job at finding mis-matches regardless.

I’m feeling like Zay will be out there Sunday. He was at least limited today.

(09-30-2022, 04:36 PM)Newton Wrote: I’m feeling like Zay will be out there Sunday. He was at least limited today.

I agree, Zay will be active, I think Tim will be too.
A new broom always sweeps clean.