Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Let's Talk About- Political Edition

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 07:09 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

Good. It seems the low appeal for cretinous Chris Cuomo is universal. Hopefully they drop his show soon. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...-tank.html

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-31-2022, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So I never went to college or a university.  Someone please explain to me why race (or ethnicity) should be a factor for admission.

To put it in really simple terms, consider the following hypothetical situation.

A farmer wants to hire a hand.  There are two candidates.  One is a white man that can run the tractor correctly and safely.  He makes straight passes in the field with no problem.  The other is a black man who has never driven a tractor, has to have instruction and basically screws up the field.

Which one should be hired?  The white man because he has the skill needed?  or  The black man in the name of "diversity" or whatever?

Whether it is for a job or admission to a school race, color, sex, ethnicity etc. should never be a factor.  It should always be about merit/ability/skill.

University is a place you go to learn about the world not to drive tractors. When you only attend with people like you then it limits the extent to which each student is exposed to diversity of culture and thought. When you have 100,000 candidates for 1,000 spots it's necessary to insure that some percentage of those spots are reserved for the minority groups of the population applying or simple math will lead you to a lack of diversity in the selection. The university system has always been an elitist institution at its top, a place where who you know was much more important that your skills or transcripts. As a result, those already entrenched in the system were able to keep a strangle hold on the institution and its benefits. The forced inclusion of those who were traditionally excluded because of those factors is the only way to destroy the barriers that system built and create an more equitable system for all. The natural response of the racist is to immediately pretend that the minority kids took away a spot that should've gone to a more qualified white kid while conveniently leaving out that the qualifications rarely have anything to with academics and everything to do with connections.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-31-2022, 08:33 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 05:33 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: The counter-argument I always hear is that the black man/woman never had the opportunity to learn how to run the tractor correctly, so to right the wrongs of the past, we must offer that opportunity disproportionately until some 'level of equality' is achieved.  Of course, that level is never defined anywhere.  Of course, this is not true today.  There have been affirmative action programs and college funding for disadvantaged blacks since the late 60's/early 70's.  Why it hasn't worked is a topic for discussion, but the opportunities have been there for a while now.

It has worked.  A subset of black people are now firmly in the middle class, even some in the upper class, and black unemployment keeps getting lower.
Of course differences persist, but the differences are now small enough that we should change the tactic for reducing them.

Yeah, I should have clarified. It's worked to a degree, but only at the level that the black community participates. Some people, regardless of race, just don't feel the need to go to college, and I can't say I blame them. There are plenty of underfilled professions out there that do better as a career than a college graduate.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Florida to ban transgender ‘health care’ for minors.

Good.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/2...or-minors/

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 02:11 PM by mikesez.)

(11-05-2022, 01:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Florida to ban transgender ‘health care’ for minors.

Good.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/2...or-minors/

Puberty blockers will be available through mail order pharmacies, after a zoom call with a doctor in a blue state.

If the progressives were smart, they would keep this in mind, and stop playing victim with this stuff.   The Republican party is lucky that the very online progressives take the bait every single time.

(11-01-2022, 09:52 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 08:33 PM)mikesez Wrote: It has worked.  A subset of black people are now firmly in the middle class, even some in the upper class, and black unemployment keeps getting lower.
Of course differences persist, but the differences are now small enough that we should change the tactic for reducing them.

Yeah, I should have clarified.  It's worked to a degree, but only at the level that the black community participates.  Some people, regardless of race, just don't feel the need to go to college, and I can't say I blame them.  There are plenty of underfilled professions out there that do better as a career than a college graduate.

There has been a lot more to affirmative action than just college admissions. All of it has had some benefit, but it's getting close to the time where all of it needs to stop. And we need to use other measurements to ensure that people are included and have opportunities
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-01-2022, 09:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 03:53 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So I never went to college or a university.  Someone please explain to me why race (or ethnicity) should be a factor for admission.

To put it in really simple terms, consider the following hypothetical situation.

A farmer wants to hire a hand.  There are two candidates.  One is a white man that can run the tractor correctly and safely.  He makes straight passes in the field with no problem.  The other is a black man who has never driven a tractor, has to have instruction and basically screws up the field.

Which one should be hired?  The white man because he has the skill needed?  or  The black man in the name of "diversity" or whatever?

Whether it is for a job or admission to a school race, color, sex, ethnicity etc. should never be a factor.  It should always be about merit/ability/skill.

University is a place you go to learn about the world not to drive tractors. When you only attend with people like you then it limits the extent to which each student is exposed to diversity of culture and thought. When you have 100,000 candidates for 1,000 spots it's necessary to insure that some percentage of those spots are reserved for the minority groups of the population applying or simple math will lead you to a lack of diversity in the selection. The university system has always been an elitist institution at its top, a place where who you know was much more important that your skills or transcripts. As a result, those already entrenched in the system were able to keep a strangle hold on the institution and its benefits. The forced inclusion of those who were traditionally excluded because of those factors is the only way to destroy the barriers that system built and create an more equitable system for all. The natural response of the racist is to immediately pretend that the minority kids took away a spot that should've gone to a more qualified white kid while conveniently leaving out that the qualifications rarely have anything to with academics and everything to do with connections.

Very well put.  We are making progress with all races to get large scale things like university admissions more equitable for all races. Legacy admissions used to be much more common.  And better believe they favored white people almost exclusively   That will be gone for good, soon.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-01-2022, 09:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Well, the stupid have been traditionally excluded... we should start there.

[Image: Guncon.jpg]
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

A friend of mine who works security at Jaguars games says last year Ron Desantis showed up for a game with a 5 person security detail from FDLE and 2 JSO. This year he showed with 36 FDLE and a dozen JSO.

His profile is a bit larger, I’d say.

(11-07-2022, 11:15 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: A friend of mine who works security at Jaguars games says last year Ron Desantis showed up for a game with a 5 person security detail from FDLE and 2 JSO. This year he showed with 36 FDLE and a dozen JSO.

His profile is a bit larger, I’d say.

Just a tad.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(11-05-2022, 07:15 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 09:38 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: University is a place you go to learn about the world not to drive tractors. When you only attend with people like you then it limits the extent to which each student is exposed to diversity of culture and thought. When you have 100,000 candidates for 1,000 spots it's necessary to insure that some percentage of those spots are reserved for the minority groups of the population applying or simple math will lead you to a lack of diversity in the selection. The university system has always been an elitist institution at its top, a place where who you know was much more important that your skills or transcripts. As a result, those already entrenched in the system were able to keep a strangle hold on the institution and its benefits. The forced inclusion of those who were traditionally excluded because of those factors is the only way to destroy the barriers that system built and create an more equitable system for all. The natural response of the racist is to immediately pretend that the minority kids took away a spot that should've gone to a more qualified white kid while conveniently leaving out that the qualifications rarely have anything to with academics and everything to do with connections.

Well, the stupid have been traditionally excluded... we should start there.

First we'd have to disconnect professional sports farm systems from academic athletes. Once that's done the average IQ at most universities would get a 25 point bump up.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-08-2022, 02:56 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Florida rejects federal monitors inside polling places: ‘Not permitted’ | Fox News

We don’t need federal officers lurking around any polling locations.

Can we get a Ron Desantis/Kari Lake, Kari Lake/Ron Desantis ticket in 2024? I don't care which one is Pres or Vice Pres. Either is fine.

(11-08-2022, 03:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can we get a Ron Desantis/Kari Lake, Kari Lake/Ron Desantis ticket in 2024? I don't care which one is Pres or Vice Pres. Either is fine.

I’d vote for it either way!

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2022, 07:55 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-08-2022, 03:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can we get a Ron Desantis/Kari Lake, Kari Lake/Ron Desantis ticket in 2024? I don't care which one is Pres or Vice Pres. Either is fine.

I'd like to see DeSantis/Tim Scott.  I have a lot of respect for Tim Scott. 

Kari Lake might be a bit of a wild card.  She's pretty slick, but she has no experience at politics other than this one race.  I'd hate to see the Republicans pick another Sarah Palin.  There's also the election denial which is pure poison for me.

Well, she's gonna get first-hand experience in that, too.

From the New York Times:

"America leaves these midterms much as it entered: a fiercely divided country that remains anchored in a narrow range of the political spectrum, unhappy enough with President Biden to embrace divided government but unwilling to turn fully to the divisive, grievance-driven politics promoted by former President Donald J. Trump."