Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

I was never pro-Baalke and never will be.

He needs to be replaced at the end of the season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I didn't want Baalke to start and didn't want him retained and don't want him now.

However, I hate to say it, but I do think he's back next year.

(10-30-2022, 07:22 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I didn't want Baalke to start and didn't want him retained and don't want him now.

I don't think there's a chance he's fired in the offseason.

(This post was last modified: 10-31-2022, 09:50 AM by irontrooper83. Edited 1 time in total.)

This is the man that should have been let go and that should be fired as soon as possible. Before you take any other step this is the one thing you should do.

We can think about trading for players, trading our players, we can do all of that but he can't be in charge of building more of this team.

Some exemples: I loved JRob but I can also be ok trading a RB who likely won't be resigned at the money he'd like. What I'm not ok with? Trading him and giving those picks to Trent Baalke. This is the guy who spent 2 sixth rounders to trade up for Snoop Connor, a RB that has been basically inactive and that the team view as  3rd stringer at best.
We get a conditional 5th for JRob? Guess what, Baalke isn't going to pick a better player with that one.

Same reasoning with Josh Allen. I'm open to trade him for the right price but what I'm not open to is allowing Baalke to use the picks we get for him.

Baalke day 3 picks are useless, he picked I don't know how many CB in the 6th/7th rounds this year and we are choosing to sign FA in the middle of seasons to have more depth instead of trying out those players.

Shad Khan is the only one responsible for the awful team year after year. Since we are stuck with him the only hope is that at some point he will make the right decision with the GM but how likely is that? The man claimed he wanted a VP of football operations but backpedalled after a few weeks because of the "incredible changed brought by Pederson and his work with Baalke". Well here we are, guess what? It's not working.

Get rid of the GM and start over, can't give more draft capital/money to this guy again. Unfortunately with Shad this guy will get another chance at more failure.

(10-30-2022, 07:22 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I didn't want Baalke to start and didn't want him retained and don't want him now.

If the team continues to lose, I'm hopeful that he'll be gone. 

Of course, if the team starts to win, I'm still hopeful that he'll be gone LOL.

I don't like weasels.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(11-23-2022, 02:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/11/2...eek-giants

There is no question Hutchinson is the better player this year.  This is a race and not a sprint. After year 3 lets see if we still feel the same way. I personally think they should move walker on the dline and try to get some pressures inside.

(11-23-2022, 03:57 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 02:05 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/11/2...eek-giants

There is no question Hutchinson is the better player this year.  This is a race and not a sprint. After year 3 lets see if we still feel the same way. I personally think they should move walker on the dline and try to get some pressures inside.

Absolutely, but it's not off to a good start with the players after him playing much better.

(11-23-2022, 05:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 03:57 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: There is no question Hutchinson is the better player this year.  This is a race and not a sprint. After year 3 lets see if we still feel the same way. I personally think they should move walker on the dline and try to get some pressures inside.

Absolutely, but it's not off to a good start with the players after him playing much better.
Yeah. Walker is going to be the true defintion of "boom or bust" for this team. I understand he's a freak athlete and strong as [BLEEP] but it's not translating yet.

Did we draft Mario Williams or Courtney Brown?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2022, 12:11 AM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-23-2022, 10:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 05:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Absolutely, but it's not off to a good start with the players after him playing much better.
Yeah. Walker is going to be the true defintion of "boom or bust" for this team. I understand he's a freak athlete and strong as [BLEEP] but it's not translating yet.

Hutch is making plays.  Having watched some of his highlights and hearing headlines coming out of Detroit I can’t help be feel like they’re specifically scheming him to be in position to make those plays, but he’s making them nonetheless and you can’t take that away from him.

We’ll see if this carries on.  Plays will win some times, but superior talent should win more consistently.  I still believe Walker is the superior talent, though I’d like to see more impact plays and stats from him for sure.  Hopefully that’s in the works.

(11-23-2022, 10:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 05:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Absolutely, but it's not off to a good start with the players after him playing much better.

Hopefully we drafted Mario Williams instead of Courtney Brown. 

10 games of action:

Hutchinson -

Sacks 5.5
TFL 4
Int 2
Forced Fumble 0
Fumble Recovery 1
QB Hits 10
Solo Tackles 20
Number of downs played 598 (42 plays more)

Walker -

Sacks 2.5
TFL 3
Int 1 
Forced Fumble 0
Fumble Recovery 0
QB Hits 6
Solo Tackles 18
Number of downs played 556 (42 plays less)

As of right now, Hutchinson has better numbers across the board but there’s still a lot of football left to play this season. I really hope they move Walker around on that defensive line and let him use his natural born talent to do his thing.

Ik we have been a [BLEEP] team of recent but I think patience is needed with walker.....yes he was #1 pick but I don't think he has busted

(11-24-2022, 02:36 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Ik we have been a [BLEEP] team of recent but I think patience is needed with walker.....yes he was #1 pick but I don't think he has busted

Lol, a bust after 9 games. Wow, sometimes I really don't understand the rush to get out such silly hot takes.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-24-2022, 01:53 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 10:58 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeah. Walker is going to be the true defintion of "boom or bust" for this team. I understand he's a freak athlete and strong as [BLEEP] but it's not translating yet.

Hopefully we drafted Mario Williams instead of Courtney Brown. 

10 games of action:

Hutchinson -

Sacks 5.5
TFL 4
Int 2
Forced Fumble 0
Fumble Recovery 1
QB Hits 10
Solo Tackles 20
Number of downs played 598 (42 plays more)

Walker -

Sacks 2.5
TFL 3
Int 1 
Forced Fumble 0
Fumble Recovery 0
QB Hits 6
Solo Tackles 18
Number of downs played 556 (42 plays less)

As of right now, Hutchinson has better numbers across the board but there’s still a lot of football left to play this season. I really hope they move Walker around on that defensive line and let him use his natural born talent to do his thing.
In fairness to Walker. Detroit has been in a [BLEEP] ton of shootouts this year and they're dead last in defense.

Our team plays games so close now the entierty of both team's playbooks are completely open and you can still run it and keep a defense honest late.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2022, 09:41 AM by CanDoBetter. Edited 2 times in total.)

Some people thought Hutchinson was a bust in pre-season. He would have been thesafe pick.

Walker still has time but for now he's behind.

(11-26-2022, 09:40 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Some people thought Hutchinson was a bust in pre-season. He would have been thesafe pick.

Walker still has time but for now he's behind.

If he’s behind, it’s not by much.  I think people are seriously overrating the difference between the two because of a couple of good games.  Hutchinson has a tendency to disappear in games.  See if you can find him in the box score on Thursday.  And I sure didn’t see him make any kind of impact.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

This is a huge reason why Hutch had such a great game last week

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/11/2...res-giants

(11-26-2022, 01:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is a huge reason why Hutch had such a great game last week

Sure, but that brings back the question why Josh Allen isn't producing. 

Besides, my point about Walker isn't so much that Hutchinson's been great. It's more that Walker, apart from a few stupid penalties, for the most part has been invisible.

(11-26-2022, 03:52 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 01:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is a huge reason why Hutch had such a great game last week

Sure, but that brings back the question why Josh Allen isn't producing. 

Besides, my point about Walker isn't so much that Hutchinson's been great. It's more that Walker, apart from a few stupid penalties, for the most part has been invisible.

Then why did you compare him to Hutchinson if that isn’t your point?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I think it was Chuck Noll that said this after a combine…

“Ok, we know who the athletes are. Now let’s get on the field and find out who the football players are”

Walker needs at least three years to develop imo.