Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(01-31-2023, 06:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 06:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You always have to have a limit.  If you would go 42 why not 45?

But yes I would tag him and see if he can have another big year with us and save almost 3 mil
And then he walks because we didn’t sign him when we had the chance.

How many players sign a long term deal a year after getting the tag?
When "he" had the chance.   I'm sure we offer him a fair contract and if he doesn't take it it's on him.  Hopefully he doesn't have Yawns old agent lol.  We can tag him again next year if needed.  A bunch do if they live up to the tag

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-31-2023, 06:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 05:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Why does anybody keep pointing out or thinking that he's going to:

A. Ask for Kelce money
B. Worth Kelce money

My average per year is based on a few, realistic expectations. For starters, it puts him in the top five - eight range with guys that are in the same ballpark range production wise. This is factoring in last year plus the entirety of their careers. Also, you have to adjust for NFL inflation. 

The market always goes up. Guys are going to get slightly overpaid to an extent. It's just the nature of the salary cap. $14.5M - $15M APY is fair based on the current market and where guys are slotted in at. I would offer him 3 years, starting at $14M APY and working towards cash loading it up front with incentives towards that final year of the deal.

This should ensure you're getting the best out of your money spent on him up front while he's still a little bit younger and then towards the end when you know you're going to have to make moves to inevitably resign Lawrence to his monster deal you have given yourself an easy out and two years to draft and develop or sign his replacement that's going to cost you less per year.

I would tag him at 11.3 mil before I just offer him Mark Andrews money.  He had a really good year for us this year but he isn't as good as Mark Andrews

(01-31-2023, 05:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote: He gets tagged at the minimum. If that fails though. Moreau and Gesicki are worth the look.

Gesicki would be a beast with Trevor and in Dougs offense

That brings up an interesting question to me at least. What would Dan Arnold's production been if he had been TE1?

(01-31-2023, 06:40 PM)Newton Wrote: I don’t like tagging engram. He came here in good faith for a one year prove it deal. You don’t tag a guy who comes for a one-year deal on my mind. both sides were aware of what this was. He outperformed our expectations, and clearly was a big part of us making it to the playoffs. I think you gave him top 10 money for 3 years and call it a day.

Everyone here has said this but if a contract can't be agreed on you tag him.  That's what the tag is for.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2023, 09:15 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-31-2023, 06:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 06:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: And then he walks because we didn’t sign him when we had the chance.

How many players sign a long term deal a year after getting the tag?
When "he" had the chance.   I'm sure we offer him a fair contract and if he doesn't take it it's on him.  Hopefully he doesn't have Yawns old agent lol.  We can tag him again next year if needed.  A bunch do if they live up to the tag
I have no clue what you do for a living but if your employer offered you a contract lower than what you’re worth, you’re just gonna sign it because “it’s a fair contract”?

Also. You sure do bring up Yan a lot. Time to move on bud.

I’d love to keep Engram.

I would say that with Trevor, he is likely going to spread the ball around and tight ends will have good years with Trevor as QB even if we can’t keep Engram.

I would tag Engram and draft a TE. Say a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round (or even first) and go from there.
I would not sign Engram to a 3-4 year deal. He’s literally only has one good year in his career. I’d tag him again while developing your TE of the future.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

What about Jawaan Taylor?  What kind of contract do people think it would take to get him back?

Cut some dead money on defense and keep improving the offense. Time to make a top 5 offense.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 07:35 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-31-2023, 09:08 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 06:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: When "he" had the chance.   I'm sure we offer him a fair contract and if he doesn't take it it's on him.  Hopefully he doesn't have Yawns old agent lol.  We can tag him again next year if needed.  A bunch do if they live up to the tag
I have no clue what you do for a living but if your employer offered you a contract lower than what you’re worth, you’re just gonna sign it because “it’s a fair contract”?

Also. You sure do bring up Yan a lot. Time to move on bud.

I don't think we offer him a contract lower than what he's worth.  I've already said multiple times what I think we offer. Yawns situation was a prime example.

I said it b4, I'll say it again. Don't fall in love with these guys. It's about 16. Everyone else is disposable. Of there was no cap, resign Engram. You can make a deeper argument about why we're having cap problems with a qb on a rookie contract. But if we Bring him back it's going to have to be on terms extremely favorable to the team.

If I'm his agent ad my client is 28 at the peak of his marketability,I'm trying to break the bank.

What we have to keep in mind is that NFL contracts go up every year. So if, for example, we sign Christian Kirk to a deal that makes him the 15th highest paid receiver in the league, in a few years, while he's still under contract, he'll be the 25th highest paid receiver in the NFL.
So when in comes to Engram, we will sign him to what appears to be a blockbuster contract. And it might appear to be more than he's worth. But keep in mind, if we make him, for example, the 4th or 5th highest or even the highest paid TE in the league, in a few years, while he's still under contract, he will be the 10th highest paid TE. Because contracts keep going up. So when we compare Engram's new contract to other players, we have to keep in mind when the other players signed those contracts.
From everything I read and hear, Engram is a model teammate, a hard worker and great for team chemistry. We've seen his talent on the field. He's a matchup nightmare, because he's too fast to be covered by a LB and too big to be covered by a safety. Our Super Bowl window is open starting next year. I would break the bank to re-sign him.

(02-01-2023, 08:14 AM)jj82284 Wrote: I said it b4, I'll say it again.  Don't fall in love with these guys.  It's about 16.  Everyone else is disposable.  Of there was no cap, resign Engram.  You can make a deeper argument about why we're having cap problems with a qb on a rookie contract.  But if we Bring him back it's going to have to be on terms extremely favorable to the team. 

If I'm his agent ad my client is 28 at the peak of his marketability,I'm trying to break the bank.
You’re right. It is about 16.

And it’s about continuing to surround 16 with playmaking talent and OLine help.

(01-31-2023, 10:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What about Jawaan Taylor?  What kind of contract do people think it would take to get him back?

His rookie deal was at $7.8M with $1.9M APY at $5.7M guaranteed. I know he had his best year as a Jaguar. Coming off the loss of his father. Seemed like he had a kick in the [BLEEP] to get into gear last season. With that said. 

His pass protection was decent. His run blocking was average at best. I don't think we'll have to break the bank to keep him here. I would throw something at him along the lines of:

4 years / $17.5M / Give him $3.5M in signing bonus money - Would come out to $3.5M APY. I think that's fair. If you look at the RT position across the NFL it's really all over the place contract wise because of age, team needs, rookie contracts where guys like Tristan Wirfs and Mike McGlinchey are due for their big deals soon. 

Taylor was good. Just not good enough IMHO to where you need to be throwing $20M+ in total value at him. I slightly more than doubled what he earned on his rookie deal though. 

In a perfect world? We didn't resign Cam Robinson last year, Walker Little plays LT in 2022 and Taylor is resigned, completely worry free for the long haul at RT this off season. Now? We're pretty much stuck with Robinson and we have a swing tackle that was drafted with a 2nd RD pick three years ago that needs to start full time at one of these positions. 

Me thinks it's Little at RT next year with hopefully a fair competition with Robinson this summer for the LT job. I think Taylor gets overpaid by a team that needs him desperately. He'll probably get a $20M offer elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-01-2023, 08:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-31-2023, 10:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What about Jawaan Taylor?  What kind of contract do people think it would take to get him back?

His rookie deal was at $7.8M with $1.9M APY at $5.7M guaranteed. I know he had his best year as a Jaguar. Coming off the loss of his father. Seemed like he had a kick in the [BLEEP] to get into gear last season. With that said. 

His pass protection was decent. His run blocking was average at best. I don't think we'll have to break the bank to keep him here. I would throw something at him along the lines of:

4 years / $17.5M / Give him $3.5M in signing bonus money - Would come out to $3.5M APY. I think that's fair. If you look at the RT position across the NFL it's really all over the place contract wise because of age, team needs, rookie contracts where guys like Tristan Wirfs and Mike McGlinchey are due for their big deals soon. 

Taylor was good. Just not good enough IMHO to where you need to be throwing $20M+ in total value at him. I slightly more than doubled what he earned on his rookie deal though. 

In a perfect world? We didn't resign Cam Robinson last year, Walker Little plays LT in 2022 and Taylor is resigned, completely worry free for the long haul at RT this off season. Now? We're pretty much stuck with Robinson and we have a swing tackle that was drafted with a 2nd RD pick three years ago that needs to start full time at one of these positions. 

Me thinks it's Little at RT next year with hopefully a fair competition with Robinson this summer for the LT job. I think Taylor gets overpaid by a team that needs him desperately. He'll probably get a $20M offer elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
At 17.5 mil. you are making him a top 5 paid RT

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 09:30 AM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-01-2023, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 08:44 AM)Caldrac Wrote: His rookie deal was at $7.8M with $1.9M APY at $5.7M guaranteed. I know he had his best year as a Jaguar. Coming off the loss of his father. Seemed like he had a kick in the [BLEEP] to get into gear last season. With that said. 

At 17.5 mil. you are making him a top 5 paid RT

No, nowhere near that. $17.5M over four years? In total value? That's nowhere near the top. 

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Havenstein's deal is $34.5M
Okorafor's deal is $29.25M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
McGlinchey's deal is $18.3M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

Resigning Taylor at $17.5M over four years with $3.5M up front is a steal, IMHO. However, he's probably going to get a team willing to throw $20M+ at him over four years. Wirfs and McGlinchey are probably going to push close, if not, more than what the Saints gave Ramczyk when their initial deals are up.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-01-2023, 09:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: At 17.5 mil. you are making him a top 5 paid RT

No, nowhere near that. $17.5M over four years? In total value? That's nowhere near the top. 

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

Resigning Taylor at $17.5M over four years with $3.5M up front is a steal, IMHO. However, he's probably going to get a team willing to throw $20M+ at him over four years. Wirfs and McGlinchey are probably going to push close, if not, more than what the Saints gave Ramczyk when their initial deals are up.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/ave...ht-tackle/

(02-01-2023, 08:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: At 17.5 mil. you are making him a top 5 paid RT

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

Didn't he mean per year? because no starting RT would take $17.5 for 4 years.

No way I pay Taylor $20m per year, this was his only good year. I'd say $11m would be fair but I highly doubt he takes that, he is gonna ask at least for $14m imo.

I think I rather roll the dice in the draft than paying Taylor $14m, especially since we don't have too much cap space.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

20 mil over 4 years I’d be willing to bet my house that he’s going to be making 15mil a year

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 10:16 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

20 mil per year would make him the highest paid RT in the league.  Good lord dude

(02-01-2023, 10:13 AM)Craigukjag Wrote:
(02-01-2023, 09:26 AM)Caldrac Wrote: No, nowhere near that. $17.5M over four years? In total value? That's nowhere near the top. 

For perspective. 

Ramcyzk's deal is $96M
O'Neill's deal is $92.5M
Moton's deal is $85M
Johnson's deal is $72M
Smith's deal is $70M
Conklin's deal is $60M
Collins' deal is $21M
Neal's deal is $24.5M
Sewell's deal is $24M
Becton's deal is $18.4M
Wirf's deal is $18.3M

20 mil over 4 years I’d be willing to bet my house that he’s going to be making 15mil a year

A team isn't going to make Taylor the highest paid RT in the league lol.  If a team wants to do that it would be great for us as we will likely get a 3rd round comp pick next year

More than we got to offer. Unless he has an awful agent that shorts him out of a LOT of money.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2023, 10:33 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Guys, we have a franchise QB who will be on a rookie deal for up to the next 3 years.  Now is not the time to play hardball with guys who can help us win a Super Bowl.  A lot of you are even proposing contract offers that are, frankly, insulting to the players involved.  I hope our front office doesn't do that.
As I outlined in an earlier post, our salary cap is completely manageable.  
Now is the time to push our chips into the middle of the table and go for it.