Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap space for next season…

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2023, 12:44 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(03-01-2023, 09:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 07:41 AM)Jag88 Wrote: We have 2 good Cornerbacks. Really need that slot cb.

Can draft this position and fill it in. Riley Moss out of Iowa or Trey Dean III out of Florida would be ideal candidates in RD4 for this role specifically. 

Plus they have those two rookies from last year I think. Maybe one of them elevates themselves this summer. That's always a possibility. Gregory Junior and Montaric Brown. I think they're both on the active roster.

What makes you think Dean could come in and be our starting nickle corner?  Dude got burned alot at Florida, he's a safety if anything.  I wouldn't draft Dean in the 4th and I definitely wouldn't play him at corner

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-01-2023, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 09:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Can draft this position and fill it in. Riley Moss out of Iowa or Trey Dean III out of Florida would be ideal candidates in RD4 for this role specifically. 

Plus they have those two rookies from last year I think. Maybe one of them elevates themselves this summer. That's always a possibility. Gregory Junior and Montaric Brown. I think they're both on the active roster.

What makes you think Dean could come in and be our stating nickle corner?  Dude got burned alot at Florida, he's a safety in anything.  I wouldn't draft Dean in the 4th and I definitely would play him at corner

This is such a case study in your posting.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-01-2023, 10:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What makes you think Dean could come in and be our stating nickle corner?  Dude got burned alot at Florida, he's a safety in anything.  I wouldn't draft Dean in the 4th and I definitely would play him at corner

If*

(03-01-2023, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 10:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This is such a case study in your posting.

If*

And then on re-read you missed the problem.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-28-2023, 03:21 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Let’s go jags. Can’t wait for the draft already. 57 days to go

It's amazing how different that sounds this year.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2023, 12:44 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-01-2023, 11:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 11:03 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If*

And then on re-read you missed the problem.

Wouldn't play him at corner*. Fixed

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2023, 12:53 PM by Jag88.)

(03-01-2023, 09:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 07:41 AM)Jag88 Wrote: We have 2 good Cornerbacks. Really need that slot cb.

Can draft this position and fill it in. Riley Moss out of Iowa or Trey Dean III out of Florida would be ideal candidates in RD4 for this role specifically. 

I know players can get better, but I don’t trust either one of those options when speaking of junior or brown.

(03-01-2023, 11:53 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(02-28-2023, 03:21 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Let’s go jags. Can’t wait for the draft already. 57 days to go

It's amazing how different that sounds this year.

Yes it is!

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2023, 09:14 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-01-2023, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 09:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Can draft this position and fill it in. Riley Moss out of Iowa or Trey Dean III out of Florida would be ideal candidates in RD4 for this role specifically. 

What makes you think Dean could come in and be our starting nickle corner?  Dude got burned alot at Florida, he's a safety if anything.  I wouldn't draft Dean in the 4th and I definitely wouldn't play him at corner

Riley Moss would be my first choice over Trey Dean III if given the option in RD4 or later. Here's a few articles on Dean though. Most places you look says he can play all over the place. He can play SS, Nickel-CB, rover-LB. If properly developed he could be a valuable, rotational player to this defense. 

He had his up's and down's (as most 4th RD projected or later players do), however, with that said, how was the Gators pass rush up front last season? Because on paper it looks like they were pretty weak overall with their front seven. I don't see anybody that jumps off the page at you in the sack column. 

His best graded performance was against Kentucky, which is supposed to have a 1st RD QB in Will Levis this year. His worst game was against LSU. Again, not surprising there. Especially if your front seven and base front four sucks at getting after the QB. Outside of Gervon Dexter, again, can't really name anybody else. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/trey-...port-2023/

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2023...ii-florida

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Trey...DB-Florida
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-01-2023, 12:51 PM)Jag88 Wrote:

I know players can get better, but I don’t trust either one of those options when speaking of junior or brown.

(03-01-2023, 11:53 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: It's amazing how different that sounds this year.

Yes it is!

Meh. I wouldn't give up on a pair of 2nd year players that easily. One off season can make a huge difference for a lot of players. We had guys like Brandon Marshall (Denver's Linebacker) and Allen Lazard (Green Bay's decent receiving option) in Jacksonville at one point we let them get away.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-01-2023, 10:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 10:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What makes you think Dean could come in and be our stating nickle corner?  Dude got burned alot at Florida, he's a safety in anything.  I wouldn't draft Dean in the 4th and I definitely would play him at corner

He usually over-values the crap out of our Gator players.  Doesn't seem like he likes Dean a whole lot.

(03-02-2023, 11:41 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(03-01-2023, 10:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: This is such a case study in your posting.

He usually over-values the crap out of our Gator players.  Doesn't seem like he likes Dean a whole lot.
What Gators players did I over value?

(03-02-2023, 01:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 11:41 AM)scottyg Wrote: He usually over-values the crap out of our Gator players.  Doesn't seem like he likes Dean a whole lot.
That's bait.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2023, 03:05 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

Still need 2 more good CB's because it is rare for the Top 3 guys to remain healthy all season, and 2 more guys allows range in dime/quarters coverages.

(02-28-2023, 09:11 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/16...5783715840

Wouldn't this mean that neither Scherf or Zay would no longer be cut candidates in 2024 because this dramatically increases their dead cap hit if cut next off season?

I can understand that strategy for the 2023 season, but I'm skeptical of how that will play out long term.

(03-02-2023, 03:01 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

Still need 2 more good CB's because it is rare for the Top 3 guys to remain healthy all season, and 2 more guys allows range in dime/quarters coverages.

(02-28-2023, 09:11 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/16...5783715840

Wouldn't this mean that neither Scherf or Zay would no longer be cut candidates in 2024 because this dramatically increases their dead cap hit if cut next off season?

I can understand that strategy for the 2023 season, but I'm skeptical of how that will play out long term.

I'm pretty sure both of them are expected to be in the mid-long term plan at this point
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(03-02-2023, 01:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 11:41 AM)scottyg Wrote: He usually over-values the crap out of our Gator players.  Doesn't seem like he likes Dean a whole lot.

Yes.

You guys do know they monitor this site. If we all say go defense they will draft offense just to piss you off?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-02-2023, 04:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: You guys do know they monitor this site.  If we all say go defense they will draft offense just to piss you off?

That's why they took Walker over Hutch. Because most of us said to go Hutch
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2023, 04:46 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-02-2023, 03:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 03:01 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Still need 2 more good CB's because it is rare for the Top 3 guys to remain healthy all season, and 2 more guys allows range in dime/quarters coverages.

I'm pretty sure both of them are expected to be in the mid-long term plan at this point

But if they are expecting to pay some of the guys from the 20 and 21 classes in the next few off seasons, I'm not sure you can have that much cap space tied up by your 3rd best WR and possibly 4th best pass catcher and a OG not playing at elite level.

(03-02-2023, 02:10 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 01:08 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What Gators players did I over value?
That's bait.

So tempting tho.

(03-02-2023, 04:02 PM)Jag149 Wrote: You guys do know they monitor this site.  If we all say go defense they will draft offense just to piss you off?

After the last two years, it's really hard to argue their process. When you're winning football games it cures everything. The reality is that as long as Pederson and Lawrence are on the same page and working together this team has really unlimited potential. 

It's insanely impressive, in just one year, how quickly things have changed. Baalke deserves a lot of credit as well. He had to go out, work with his scouting team, work with his salary cap, worth with a new coaching staff, all while facing a hefty amount of criticism. 

Some of it maybe fair, some of it probably not, as a lot of his fingerprints weren't directly responsible for what Dave Caldwell did. With that said. I can only really call out three decisions that are minor criticisms of mine. 

1. Drafting Walker Little in the 2nd RD and not playing him sooner. 
2. Extending Cam Robinson to a deal at LT which really sucks. 
3. Trading up to get a RB in last year's draft that really didn't show much as a rookie. 

If that's ALL I can complain about? We're doing [BLEEP] great! I can't really get that mad at the first two things that I listed because it's hard to predict where players will fall, and, again, you have to trust your process. It just leaves you in an awkward position this year with Taylor free to test the market and Robinson coming back from IR. 

Little also looked way more comfortable and quicker out there at LT down the stretch. Which is going to be my favorite camp battle this summer and it'll be interesting to see how Baalke and the staff respond to that inevitable question. "Who is playing LT and RT?". Will it be a fair competition or does it just go to Cam because of his contract situation?