Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

(03-16-2023, 08:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 08:28 PM)empty Wrote: Yes, we were fully prepared to hire Leftwich until late in the negotiations where there was no agreement on who would be GM.  Dilla was the first to post anything with his "Lefthich is the new HC" tweet.  Talks fell through, and Rick Stroud and various Jags reporters later said it was almost a done deal.  As has been said numerous times, he absolutely jumped the gun on it and posted something that wasn't 100% a done deal, but that doesn't mean he didn't have info that it was close.

This is still unknown and he say she say.  I do believe he was a serious candidate but there were also a few others. Thats the whole point of the interview process, do all the interviews get all the info and then make a final decision.  Him reporting false information doesnt mean that he had inside info lol. The only ones that know this are the ones that were sitting in the interviews, which was likely just Shad and Baalke and I highly doubt either called or text him to let him know Byron was going to be the next coach.  The Raiders temp coach was also a serouous candidate

Honestly this will be my last post because I just don't care anymore and this isn't the thread topic.  Nothing you've said here refutes the point you highlighted.  They were (according to several reporters) zeroing in on Leftwhich until the GM disagreement couldn't be resolved.  They had interviewed everyone else prior to that interview with Leftwhich, so they had all their info, and that breakdown was when they "restarted" their process.  To act like there's no way that could have gotten out is laughable, there's always agents around leaking this sort of stuff to boost their profiles, so it wasn't just Byron, Trent and Shad sitting in on the talks.

Also, here's Dilla and Stroud's tweets on the subject, in case you still think Dilla didn't post it before Stroud.  https://twitter. com/E_Dilla/status/1486172108543647745  https://twitter. com/NFLSTROUD/status/1486360435091775489

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Really ,really disappointing that it looks like they're sticking with Jenkins.

Thornhill at 3/$21m would've been an awesome add.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2023, 11:27 PM by JagsFanClubOfMD. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-16-2023, 10:56 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Really ,really disappointing that it looks like they're sticking with Jenkins.

I honestly would cut Jenkins and consider starting Wingard. He costs about three times as much and certainly isn’t three times the player. Of course that also keeps you open to drafting your SS of the future.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 01:04 AM by JagFanatic24.)

Bassey would be a good solid pick up.

(03-16-2023, 11:24 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 10:56 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: Really ,really disappointing that it looks like they're sticking with Jenkins.

I honestly would cut Jenkins and consider starting Wingard. He costs about three times as much and certainly isn’t three times the player. Of course that also keeps you open to drafting your SS of the future.

I guess his huge plays he pulled off on that wonderful playoff run aren’t enough in your eyes.

(03-17-2023, 12:09 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1636558272823173127
Who? Lol

I’m not expecting big names but how about someone I’ve heard of.

(03-17-2023, 07:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 12:09 AM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/mikeklis/status/1636558272823173127
Who? Lol

Not sure neither. But, if it means it's one less position to worry about in the draft next month? I am all for it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 08:14 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I don't know him, but if we get him, it seems like a solid move, because to me, you fill your severe needs in free agency and you're free to draft for pure talent.  CB/NB is a severe need as of now.

Interesting note: based on his grade point average at Wake Forest, he's a solid person and intelligent.

(03-17-2023, 01:11 AM)Jag88 Wrote:
(03-16-2023, 11:24 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: I honestly would cut Jenkins and consider starting Wingard. He costs about three times as much and certainly isn’t three times the player. Of course that also keeps you open to drafting your SS of the future.

I guess his huge plays he pulled off on that wonderful playoff run aren’t enough in your eyes.
Nope. Seriously though, I appreciate the pick six vs Dallas and the forced fumble vs the tacks, but those two plays aren’t enough to pay him 10.5 million dollars this year when we have a similar player on the team for 3 million and we are up against the cap. Wingard’s punch out vs Baltimore and his pick vs the tacks were huge plays as well. The playoff run probably doesn’t happen without those plays either. Shaq Quaterman’s forced fumble on Henry was arguably the play that changed the momentum of the entire season. The reason we are paying Jenkins so much is because we signed him at a time when we had to pay average players like all pros to get them to come to the worst team in the league. That isn’t the case right now, and the contract is constructed in a way that we have an out, so in my opinion we shouldn’t over pay him anymore.

(03-17-2023, 07:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
Who? Lol

I'm sure Broncos nation is familiar with him. Coming from a very good defense I wouldn't hate it.
No matter who we get in FA at this point shouldn't change our draft strategy. We still need long term solutions at interior pass rush, interior OL, nb, and SS (and probably TE)

(03-17-2023, 08:35 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 01:11 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I guess his huge plays he pulled off on that wonderful playoff run aren’t enough in your eyes.
Nope. Seriously though, I appreciate the pick six vs Dallas and the forced fumble vs the tacks, but those two plays aren’t enough to pay him 10.5 million dollars this year when we have a similar player on the team for 3 million and we are up against the cap. Wingard’s punch out vs Baltimore and his pick vs the tacks were huge plays as well. The playoff run probably doesn’t happen without those plays either. Shaq Quaterman’s forced fumble on Henry was arguably the play that changed the momentum of the entire season. The reason we are paying Jenkins so much is because we signed him at a time when we had to pay average players like all pros to get them to come to the worst team in the league. That isn’t the case right now, and the contract is constructed in a way that we have an out, so in my opinion we shouldn’t over pay him anymore.

Those 2 plays? 

Jenkins had a franchise record 18 tackles @ Dallas along with 2 interceptions and 1 TD which came in overtime. 

He also had a big interception in Indy in week 2 which came in the 1st quarter when the score was 0-0. He forced a fumble against Baltimore, had a 4th down stop against Houston in the 2nd game. Forced fumble against Tennessee. 

100+ tackles, 3 ints, 1 sack, 3 FF and 1 TD. That’s big time production. I was all for cutting Jenkins until the Dallas game, and then all of a sudden he turned up.

I think Jenkins is going to be a tough decision.

(03-17-2023, 09:31 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 08:35 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: Nope. Seriously though, I appreciate the pick six vs Dallas and the forced fumble vs the tacks, but those two plays aren’t enough to pay him 10.5 million dollars this year when we have a similar player on the team for 3 million and we are up against the cap. Wingard’s punch out vs Baltimore and his pick vs the tacks were huge plays as well. The playoff run probably doesn’t happen without those plays either. Shaq Quaterman’s forced fumble on Henry was arguably the play that changed the momentum of the entire season. The reason we are paying Jenkins so much is because we signed him at a time when we had to pay average players like all pros to get them to come to the worst team in the league. That isn’t the case right now, and the contract is constructed in a way that we have an out, so in my opinion we shouldn’t over pay him anymore.

Those 2 plays? 

Jenkins had a franchise record 18 tackles @ Dallas along with 2 interceptions and 1 TD which came in overtime. 

He also had a big interception in Indy in week 2 which came in the 1st quarter when the score was 0-0. He forced a fumble against Baltimore, had a 4th down stop against Houston in the 2nd game. Forced fumble against Tennessee. 

100+ tackles, 3 ints, 1 sack, 3 FF and 1 TD. That’s big time production. I was all for cutting Jenkins until the Dallas game, and then all of a sudden he turned up.

Hes an extreme liability in coverage and imo will continue to hamper our secondary and pass defense as long as he's starting.

(03-17-2023, 09:32 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 09:31 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Those 2 plays? 

Hes an extreme liability in coverage and imo will continue to hamper our secondary and pass defense as long as he's starting.

Depends on the draft really. If they take any of the following players below? I think he's cut post June 1st. 

RD1: Antonio Johnson - Texas A&M 
RD2: Christopher Smith - UGA
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I don't think there's any way Jenkins isn't here next year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 11:23 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-17-2023, 10:47 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I don't think there's any way Jenkins isn't here next year.

Especially with their expressed desire to keep the team together.  

Some people seem to think these players are just chess pieces on a chess board.  For the first time in a long time, we have a roster which has become a real team, and you don't just whack players who have been productive and good teammates without affecting the way the rest of the players feel about playing here.

(03-17-2023, 09:31 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 08:35 AM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: Nope. Seriously though, I appreciate the pick six vs Dallas and the forced fumble vs the tacks, but those two plays aren’t enough to pay him 10.5 million dollars this year when we have a similar player on the team for 3 million and we are up against the cap. Wingard’s punch out vs Baltimore and his pick vs the tacks were huge plays as well. The playoff run probably doesn’t happen without those plays either. Shaq Quaterman’s forced fumble on Henry was arguably the play that changed the momentum of the entire season. The reason we are paying Jenkins so much is because we signed him at a time when we had to pay average players like all pros to get them to come to the worst team in the league. That isn’t the case right now, and the contract is constructed in a way that we have an out, so in my opinion we shouldn’t over pay him anymore.

Those 2 plays? 

It's a tough decision because of the half dozen or so big plays he made that helped rally victories and what that means in a locker room. 

The relative ease with which he can be thrown on makes it a much easier decision. 
He gave up a 71% completion rate on the year.
I love that he leaned into it last year and had some pivotal plays. 
I also know his coverage skills are not a sustainable way to move forward at SS. 

The toughest decision here is how much draft capital to spend on his immediate or eventual replacement - and whether or not they want to put that off until next year.

(03-17-2023, 11:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 09:31 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Those 2 plays? 

It's a tough decision because of the half dozen or so big plays he made that helped rally victories and what that means in a locker room. 

The relative ease with which he can be thrown on makes it a much easier decision. 
I also know his coverage skills are not a sustainable way to move forward at SS. 

The toughest decision here is how much draft capital to spend on his immediate or eventual replacement - and whether or not they want to put that off until next year.

For me, unless there's a player in the draft that just has too much value to pass up, I put it off until next year.  We have holes to fill right now.  Let's fill this year's needs this year and next year's needs next year.

(03-17-2023, 12:35 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 11:36 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's a tough decision because of the half dozen or so big plays he made that helped rally victories and what that means in a locker room. 

For me, unless there's a player in the draft that just has too much value to pass up, I put it off until next year.  We have holes to fill right now.  Let's fill this year's needs this year and next year's needs next year.

What you lay out is a reasonable way to handle it. 
I would be OK with it.
I think it may come down to cap savings if they determine Jenkins cap hit is preventing something more vital getting done. 

Either way - probably safe to assume the SS fix is definitely not number one or number two on anyone's list of offseason priorities right now. 
I still consider it a need this year - just not one that we can't "get by" without tending to immediately.

Jenkins is a play maker and a tackling machine. I like wings, but he’s better than wingard. He’s got the it factor. He’s fearless and doesn’t back down or give up like a lot of players on losing teams.