Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 1: Jags in Indy

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2023, 04:18 PM by Mikey.)

(09-08-2023, 11:29 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Did anyone have the Lions beating the Chiefs last night?

With Kelce out I figured a competitive loss by the loins. WRs did Mahomes no favors last night. KC had no run game to speak of either.

(09-08-2023, 11:31 AM)CTEisREAL Wrote: I did.  I think we blow out the Clots and then next week we will find out just how good we are.  KC is going to pissed as hell after that egg they laid on national TV.

Kelce will play if he has to do so on a peg leg.

Regardless how we play the clots this weekend, we better be ready when KC comes to town. You know they ain't gonna want 0-2 to start the season.

(09-08-2023, 11:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 11:33 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: No, but with Kelce out I figured it would be close.  I also didn't have the Lions offense being so "meh" given they were pretty prolific at times last year.  If Toney either doesn't alley-oop the ball to Burns for the pick 6 or even just catches 1 or 2 of the passes he dropped, the chiefs probably still win the game.

What if the Lions didn't fumble the ball inside the 10?

...Goff probably throws a pick in the EZ? Laughing

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-08-2023, 12:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Personally I think all the talk about the chefs coming for blood or being desperate is hogwash.

It's Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. They aren't getting desperate over this.
They want to win every week. Nothing is changing when they come to Jax except maybe things actually being easier for them when they get Kelce back this week.

Nothing changes for the Jags either.
Just outscore them and get a few stops.

I feel no anxiety that wasn't already there.

preach it, man.

So sick of the chiefs, well that’s not until next game anyways. This week one game vs the colts is the most important game in a while. It’s crucial to get off to a good start.

Who is scoring first for us this year? Defense? Zay?

(09-08-2023, 11:56 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Who is scoring first for us this year?  Defense?  Zay?
Ridley. 25 yard post corner from Trevor.

ENT, 16 yard run in the red zone.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-08-2023, 11:56 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Who is scoring first for us this year? Defense? Zay?

Going bold and predicting tank on a 1 yard run in up the middle

Probably the place kicker, McManus.

(09-09-2023, 06:58 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-08-2023, 11:56 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Who is scoring first for us this year?  Defense?  Zay?
Ridley. 25 yard post corner from Trevor.

I'm with you on this
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Either Etienne or Ridley. Would be something if Strange scoored the first TD

(09-09-2023, 09:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Either Etienne or Ridley.  Would be something if Strange scoored the first TD

Would you say it would be.... Strange if that happened?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(09-09-2023, 10:00 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 09:35 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Either Etienne or Ridley.  Would be something if Strange scoored the first TD

Would you say it would be.... Strange if that happened?

It would be.  I think Strange will be a bigger part of the offense than some think.  Will be like LaPorta was the other night for the Lions.  We will see a number of 2 TE sets.  Like i said before, Doug's offense is made for 2 good TEs.  When I said that one or two argued it and then we signed Engram to a nice contract and drafted one in the 2nd, it proved it that Doug feels the same.

It's time for a new day here in Jacksonville and I'm excited!Banana

No longer do other teams consider the Jags as their pushover win.

GO JAGS!
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

It has. been a long time since I was this stoked for the start of a season.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(09-09-2023, 10:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 10:00 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Would you say it would be.... Strange if that happened?

It would be.  I think Strange will be a bigger part of the offense than some think.  Will be like LaPorta was the other night for the Lions.  We will see a number of 2 TE sets.  Like i said before, Doug's offense is made for 2 good TEs.  When I said that one or two argued it and then we signed Engram to a nice contract and drafted one in the 2nd, it proved it that Doug feels the same.

Every offense in the modern NFL needs two TEs and most systems utilize one as the F and one as the Y. 

Doug is no different - he just made better use of his tight ends than others in the past because he had two good ones for a time,  and he didn't have the wealth of riches at receiver that other teams had. 

You should note that he did not involve Goedert heavily in his passing game in his rookie year. As a rookie he averaged 2.75 targets per game and contributed 334 yards of production to the team. 

That's just a few more targets on the season than what we saw Doug give to Jamal Agnew last year. 
No shock if we see Strange get something less or similar to that opportunity this year. 

Also important to remember Doug only had one good receiver in the two seasons that he went TE-heavy with his passing targets. The fact that it was only two seasons is a bit telling as well. 

This narrative that Pederson needs/wants his TEs to be some focal point of his offense is overstated and somewhat inaccurate IMO.   I hope he is able to capitalize on having more talent at the position this year, but I believe him when he says that he plans for every team he coaches differently according to their strengths and weaknesses. 
(weekly opponents as well) 
I also believe this 2023 Jags team is not the 2019 Eagles - so he won't try to force Engram and Strange into being what Ertz and Goedert were to a team that had only Alshon Jeffrey for 2/3's of the season and no one else to throw to BUT the tight ends.

(09-09-2023, 12:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-09-2023, 10:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It would be.  I think Strange will be a bigger part of the offense than some think.  Will be like LaPorta was the other night for the Lions.  We will see a number of 2 TE sets.  Like i said before, Doug's offense is made for 2 good TEs.  When I said that one or two argued it and then we signed Engram to a nice contract and drafted one in the 2nd, it proved it that Doug feels the same.

Every offense in the modern NFL needs two TEs
and most systems utilize one as the F and one as the Y. 

Doug is no different - he just made better use of his tight ends than others in the past because he had two good ones for a time,  and he didn't have the wealth of riches at receiver that other teams had. 

You should note that he did not involve Goedert heavily in his passing game in his rookie year. As a rookie he averaged 2.75 targets per game and contributed 334 yards of production to the team. 

That's just a few more targets on the season than what we saw Doug give to Jamal Agnew last year. 
No shock if we see Strange get something less or similar to that opportunity this year. 

Also important to remember Doug only had one good receiver in the two seasons that he went TE-heavy with his passing targets. The fact that it was only two seasons is a bit telling as well. 

This narrative that Pederson needs/wants his TEs to be some focal point of his offense is overstated and somewhat inaccurate IMO.   I hope he is able to capitalize on having more talent at the position this year, but I believe him when he says that he plans for every team he coaches differently according to their strengths and weaknesses. 
I also believe this 2023 Jags team is not the 2019 Eagles - so he won't try to force Engram and Strange into being what Ertz and Goedert were to a team that had only Alshon Jeffrey for 2/3's of the season and no one else to throw to BUT the tight ends.

Every team needs more than 2 TEs.  I think every team in the league has more than 2 TEs on their roster.  With that said  some teams and some play callers like to utilize TEs more than others and and Doug is one of those guys as he is right out of the Andy Reid coaching tree.  Kelce was out the other night but Reid still used his TEs like always.  TEs has always been a focal point for his offenses, it's nothing new and I don't think it will change.  If it was he wouldn't make TE such a priority.  On top of that Trevor has always liked to use his TEs so it's a perfect match.  It's also one of the reason Engram came here and he has mentioned it before as this was the perfect place for him because of how Doug likes to use his TE's.  Dougs offense is very TE friendly if you haven't realized that yet.  Doug isn't going to force Engram and Strange into anything he's just going to run his offense like he always has.

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2023, 01:36 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-09-2023, 10:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It would be.  I think Strange will be a bigger part of the offense than some think.  Will be like LaPorta was the other night for the Lions.  We will see a number of 2 TE sets.  Like i said before, Doug's offense is made for 2 good TEs.  When I said that one or two argued it and then we signed Engram to a nice contract and drafted one in the 2nd, it proved it that Doug feels the same.

Every offense in the modern NFL needs two TEs and most systems utilize one as the F and one as the Y. 

Doug is great because he plays to his teams strengths. He doesn’t have a position that is the focal point (outside of QB obviously).

Kirk led the team in targets last season with 138, followed by Zay at 121, Engram 98 and Marvin 81. That’s 3 of 4 Target leaders as WRs.

With the Eagles in 2021 and no reliable WRs, Ertz led the way with 135 and then Goedert at 87. Before that season it was Ertz again, then Agholor then Jeffery.

What this tells me is that Doug has no problem having his offense molded to his personnel as opposed to forcing one position into being the focal point of the passing attack.

(09-09-2023, 01:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
Every offense in the modern NFL needs two TEs
and most systems utilize one as the F and one as the Y. 

Every team needs more than 2 TEs.  I think every team in the league has more than 2 TEs on their roster.  With that said  some teams and some play callers like to utilize TEs more than others and and Doug is one of those guys as he is right out of the Andy Reid coaching tree.  Kelce was out the other night but Reid still used his TEs like always.  TEs has always been a focal point for his offenses, it's nothing new and I don't think it will change.  If it was he wouldn't make TE such a priority.  On top of that Trevor has always liked to use his TEs so it's a perfect match.  It's also one of the reason Engram came here and he has mentioned it before as this was the perfect place for him because of how Doug likes to use his TE's.  Dougs offense is very TE friendly if you haven't realized that yet.  Doug isn't going to force Engram and Strange into anything he's just going to run his offense like he always has.

Way to spectacularly miss the point. 

I wasn't talking about roster numbers, but the primary sets of the 11 men on the field. Thought that would be obvious. 

Doug's Philly teams didn't have Ridley/Kirk/Jones at their disposal. They had one good receiver (who missed lots of games) + Ertz and a counterpart TE whether it was Celek, Burton or Goedert. And it was only two of the 4 years in Philly where he really leaned hard on the TE targets and production. 

You can pretend like it's some intrinsic thing with his offense every year, but it isn't. He said himself - every team he coaches is different than the one he coached the year before and he designs the offense around that. You clearly don't want to take the man at his word. 

The 2019 and 2020 Eagles didn't have the receivers that this Jags squad has and it will make a big difference in TE production compared to those Eagles teams. 

Sure, your boy Strange is gonna get looks and it is awesome we finally have a Y tight end who can both block and catch. But every single OC/HC strive to have that on their team.  
This isn't unique to Doug and it doesn't signal some tectonic shift wherein we suddenly turn into the 2019 eagles and throw 160 times to Engram and Strange.  I'd bet those two see 120 targets shared between them this year, tops. Likely a good bit less. 

Way too many weapons to utilize for the Jags , unlike the teams you are thinking off when you attempt to paint Pederson as a TE reliant play caller. I don't think that's accurate at all. That was simply Doug using what he had available to him in Philly. 

If you run down the list of 32 head coaches in the league - I bet 20 of them hound their GMs to get them a good F tight end and a good Y tight end just as much as Doug Pederson does. It's not unique to his methodology IMO.

I just ran into some Jaguars fans at Kilroy’s. We definitely have a presence here!

Feels like it's Christmas Eve and I'm a little kid again. I can't wait to watch the game tomorrow morning. So excited for what this team could be this season.