Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 3 talk: Houston vs Jax

A friend of mine and I are traveling to Jax for this game.
He's never been to a pro sporting event. This will only he my 2nd Jags game.
Last trip was a long time ago and basically a burn and turn. Looking for some info on the best places to hang out the night before, pregame/tailgating, and post game celebrations (or drinking to forget).
Thanks in advance

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dude, Dr. J not being in the top 10 all time Ballers is a travesty

(09-18-2023, 12:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 12:51 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I knew there would be a huge overreaction to the Chiefs game. Win and we are going to the SB, lose and well....just take a look.

Yes it would be nice to be 2-0 but I think yesterday will help us. We more than matched the Chiefs and execution was the big difference. Houston gives us a great chance to get back on track. I want to see what the staff do to try and help the Oline out. 

Still got huge belief in this team and I don't think Sunday will be a blow out but a good chance to get some points on the board and some confidence back.

I expect to see a focused team and a kind of angry team Sunday.
Bingo.

Most coaches like to look at the season in quarters. If Jags beat the Texans and Falcons (which they should), then they went 3-1 to start the season. I'll take that every day.

The Jags were never going undefeated and a loss to the SB champs certainly stings but I got lots of faith that this team will make the post season and contend.

I'd would be very happy with 3-1 and its a realistic expectation for us. I think we can beat Buffalo in London too and that would really kick us on. 

Your exactly right, we were never going 17-0 and we were never going to put up 50 a game. This year will have its ups and downs and we will have stupid losses and surprises wins. It all leads to January and its easy to forget this team had no playoff experience before last year. They are a work in progress and these are the games you study and keep a chip on your shoulder about and when you meet them again...then it's payback.

(09-18-2023, 06:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 12:54 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Bingo.

Most coaches like to look at the season in quarters. If Jags beat the Texans and Falcons (which they should), then they went 3-1 to start the season. I'll take that every day.

The Jags were never going undefeated and a loss to the SB champs certainly stings but I got lots of faith that this team will make the post season and contend.

I'd would be very happy with 3-1 and its a realistic expectation for us. I think we can beat Buffalo in London too and that would really kick us on. 

Your exactly right, we were never going 17-0 and we were never going to put up 50 a game. This year will have its ups and downs and we will have stupid losses and surprises wins. It all leads to January and its easy to forget this team had no playoff experience before last year. They are a work in progress and these are the games you study and keep a chip on your shoulder about and when you meet them again...then it's payback.

Houston isnt a lock as they beat us last year at home and Atlanta is looking very good right now.  That dline will give us problems and they have a really good secondary.  Not to mention they have a very good oline, London, Bijan, and Pitts.  Atlanta game is going to be a tough one

Given the Jaguars' history, this will be the game where we lay a big fat egg. I don't think that will happen this time, but it can never be completely discounted.

(09-18-2023, 06:37 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Given the Jaguars' history, this will be the game where we lay a big fat egg. I don't think that will happen this time, but it can never be completely discounted.

If we had a QB like Bortles, Minshew or even Garrard.  You might have a valid point.

If we had WRs like MSW, Cecil Shorts, DJ Chark, Northcutt, Mike Thomas (though I really thought he was going to be all pro), Allen Hurns, or any other grab bag of mediocre WRs since 2007, you might have a point.

But bro.  

We got a real QB.  And we have real WRs. 

There's no way the tin horns beat us.  We may not cover the spread.  But we'll win the game.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023, 07:02 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-18-2023, 04:53 PM)Kane Wrote: A friend of mine and I are traveling to Jax for this game.
Last trip was a long time ago and basically a burn and turn. Looking for some info on the best places to hang out the night before, pregame/tailgating, and post game celebrations (or drinking to forget).
Thanks in advance

If you like roof top bars, there’s River & Post and Hoptinger in the 5 points area as well as a collection of other bars and restaurants in that area.  

Riverside area is a short distance from 5 points and has several bars and restaurants.  If you are a beer nerd, Kickbacks/Goozlepipes & Guttyworks is worth your time.

For Speakeasy’s, there’s the Volstead downtown and Grape & Grain Exchange in San Marco.  Grape & Grain routinely has live music at night.  San Marco is just across the river from downtown and also has Aardwolf Brewery which is across the street from V Pizza and Side Car (bourbon bar).

Jax beach has plenty of bars in close proximity to each other if you like to bar hop.  Lynch’s Irish Pub at the beach routinely has live music.

Neptune beach to the north a little has Lemon Bar which is great for day drinking while overlooking the beach.  Plenty of other bars and restaurants in Neptune as well.

I’d probably commit to either the beach area or the downtown/5 points/riverside area as they’re not really close to each other unless you don’t mind spending 20+ minutes in the car bouncing to one after starting at the other.  I don’t get out as much as I used to so I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch that others can fill you in on. Enjoy yourself!

Edit: also, plan on getting to the stadium early as traffic is horrendous now that they’ve changed the traffic pattern near the stadium. If you get there by 9:30 though you should avoid most of it if not all. Intuition Aleworks has a 2nd story partially covered patio a couple of blocks away from the stadium if you just want an establishment to post up at pre-game. Check into the bold city brigade website for their tailgate that I think they still put on which would be over by Tailgaters parking lot.

(09-18-2023, 06:37 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Given the Jaguars' history, this will be the game where we lay a big fat egg. I don't think that will happen this time, but it can never be completely discounted.

We didnt think it was going to happen last year either.  I remember how many people thought we were going to blow them out last year and we ended up losing

(09-18-2023, 06:53 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 04:53 PM)Kane Wrote: A friend of mine and I are traveling to Jax for this game.
Thanks in advance

If you like roof top bars, there’s River & Post and Hoptinger in the 5 points area as well as a collection of other bars and restaurants in that area.  

Riverside area is a short distance from 5 points and has several bars and restaurants.  If you are a beer nerd, Kickbacks/Goozlepipes & Guttyworks is worth your time.

For Speakeasy’s, there’s the Volstead downtown and Grape & Grain Exchange in San Marco.  Grape & Grain routinely has live music at night.  San Marco is just across the river from downtown and also has Aardwolf Brewery which is across the street from V Pizza and Side Car (bourbon bar).

Jax beach has plenty of bars in close proximity to each other if you like to bar hop.  Lynch’s Irish Pub at the beach routinely has live music.

Neptune beach to the north a little has Lemon Bar which is great for day drinking while overlooking the beach.  Plenty of other bars and restaurants in Neptune as well.

I’d probably commit to either the beach area or the downtown/5 points/riverside area as they’re not really close to each other unless you don’t mind spending 20+ minutes in the car bouncing to one after starting at the other.  I don’t get out as much as I used to so I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch that others can fill you in on. Enjoy yourself!

The meister is correct, Kane. Those are all good rec's

I'll just add some downtown stuff.

If you happen to be at one of the downtown hotels and don't want to drive or uber too far...

Spliffs gastropub has moved to a new location and I haven't been in yet, but the old spot was cool.
Dos Gatos and Volstead are prolly the best downtown drinking options IMO - but Justice Pub is a more casual spot on Bay St too. They have a lil stage in the back - sometimes live music, sometimes a DJ. If you dig cigars - Island Girl downtown has you covered - but might be beer and wine only? Not sure on that detail. 

Other food downtown besides Spliffs are:
 Bellwether (dope creative American continental)
 and Cowford Chophouse - (upscale steak house)
Definitely make reservations now if hitting one of those two after a game ^

(09-18-2023, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 06:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: I'd would be very happy with 3-1 and its a realistic expectation for us. I think we can beat Buffalo in London too and that would really kick us on. 

Houston isnt a lock as they beat us last year at home and Atlanta is looking very good right now.  That dline will give us problems and they have a really good secondary.  Not to mention they have a very good oline, London, Bijan, and Pitts.  Atlanta game is going to be a tough one

Oh of course no game is a lock. The Bucs are 2-0! But they are both games that we should win and i think we will win. Its that old cliché but there's no easy games in the NFL but we aren't the same old Jags, this is a team trending the right way and while we aren't in our groove yet, we soon will be.

(09-18-2023, 08:02 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Houston isnt a lock as they beat us last year at home and Atlanta is looking very good right now.  That dline will give us problems and they have a really good secondary.  Not to mention they have a very good oline, London, Bijan, and Pitts.  Atlanta game is going to be a tough one

Oh of course no game is a lock. The Bucs are 2-0! But they are both games that we should win and i think we will win. Its that old cliché but there's no easy games in the NFL but we aren't the same old Jags, this is a team trending the right way and while we aren't in our groove yet, we soon will be.

After these first two games, my PTSD is creeping up.  I need to see them have a game like we've been expecting them to play before I cannot be nervous about each matchup.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(09-18-2023, 08:02 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 06:36 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Houston isnt a lock as they beat us last year at home and Atlanta is looking very good right now.  That dline will give us problems and they have a really good secondary.  Not to mention they have a very good oline, London, Bijan, and Pitts.  Atlanta game is going to be a tough one

We should of won yesterday. The Bucs are a good football team if Baker plays well.  Most players on that team have won a SB and have the experience.  They have a really good defense and really good WRs.  Just depends on the oline and QB really

Pederson and Taylor just need to game plan a little better to get ETN more touches - mitigate OL issues as best they can - and stay the course on defense.

They can handle Houston NP

(09-18-2023, 08:12 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 08:02 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Oh of course no game is a lock. The Bucs are 2-0! But they are both games that we should win and i think we will win. Its that old cliché but there's no easy games in the NFL but we aren't the same old Jags, this is a team trending the right way and while we aren't in our groove yet, we soon will be.

After these first two games, my PTSD is creeping up.  I need to see them have a game like we've been expecting them to play before I cannot be nervous about each matchup.

I get that and that feeling is just life as a Jags fan. We are so used to it going spectacularly wrong that even when it goes good we are just waiting for it to happen again! 

The Oline is causing problems right now and it's making us adjust our playcalling and making putting a drive together a challenge but I have faith in these coaches and players that they will find a solution and ways to get us back on track and we will be seeing the team clicking and performing well very soon.

Watching a bit of these two games tonight. Saints roll Carr out quite a bit. Browns the same with Watson. We need to try and do the same with Lawrence here and there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-18-2023, 08:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 08:02 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Oh of course no game is a lock. The Bucs are 2-0! But they are both games that we should win and i think we will win. Its that old cliché but there's no easy games in the NFL but we aren't the same old Jags, this is a team trending the right way and while we aren't in our groove yet, we soon will be.

We should of won yesterday. The Bucs are a good football team if Baker plays well.  Most players on that team have won a SB and have the experience.  They have a really good defense and really good WRs.  Just depends on the oline and QB really

Yes we had the opportunities yesterday to win and didn't get it done. The team knows that, coaches, fans, everyone but the Chiefs showed that difference between good and great teams. Their D stepped up when they made a mistake and the Chiefs O put a couple of drives together that got 7. They didn't blow us away but like you say about the Bucs, those teams with SB experience and deep playoff runs year after year have that experience. We are just starting that journey and games like yesterday are the learning curve.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2023, 09:24 PM by Kane.)

(09-18-2023, 06:53 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
Thanks in advance

Edit: also, plan on getting to the stadium early as traffic is horrendous now that they’ve changed the traffic pattern near the stadium.  If you get there by 9:30 though you should avoid most of it if not all.  Intuition Aleworks has a 2nd story partially covered patio a couple of blocks away from the stadium if you just want an establishment to post up at pre-game.  Check into the bold city brigade website for their tailgate that I think they still put on which would be over by Tailgaters parking lot.

Thanks for all the info! We're staying close to stadium. Downtown by the river at the Hyatt Regency. So probably wanna stay as close to hotel as much as possible. I also don't get out much but really wanna take it all in this trip.

Much appreciated for sure.

(09-18-2023, 07:04 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-18-2023, 06:53 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If you like roof top bars, there’s River & Post and Hoptinger in the 5 points area as well as a collection of other bars and restaurants in that area.  

The meister is correct, Kane. Those are all good rec's

I'll just add some downtown stuff.

If you happen to be at one of the downtown hotels and don't want to drive or uber too far...

Spliffs gastropub has moved to a new location and I haven't been in yet, but the old spot was cool.
Dos Gatos and Volstead are prolly the best downtown drinking options IMO - but Justice Pub is a more casual spot on Bay St too. They have a lil stage in the back - sometimes live music, sometimes a DJ. If you dig cigars - Island Girl downtown has you covered - but might be beer and wine only? Not sure on that detail. 

Other food downtown besides Spliffs are:
 Bellwether (dope creative American continental)
 and Cowford Chophouse - (upscale steak house)
Definitely make reservations now if hitting one of those two after a game ^

Very cool. Thank you as well

(09-18-2023, 08:52 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Watching a bit of these two games tonight. Saints roll Carr out quite a bit. Browns the same with Watson. We need to try and do the same with Lawrence here and there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I was thinking this during the game. Like obviously we got some pass pro issues, gotta scheme around it I think

Not shying away from using bigsby on the 1st and goal as well ... he showed us his leg drive and power in week 1

Houston after the first 2 weeks display of proficiency by the Jags smell blood in the water. Houston will be a tough out. The Texans not gonna lay down for us....
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(09-18-2023, 10:36 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Houston after the first 2 weeks display of proficiency by the Jags smell blood in the water.  Houston will be a tough out.  The Texans not gonna lay down for us....

Yeah but Stroud has been running for his life. Our pass rush should eat. And AR and Minshew did work on Houston D.
They don't have a jones or Buckner. (Anderson but hes a rookie). They don't have a Kelce.

This has to be our bounce back big or we're gonna be feeling like pretenders not contenders.